***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Christian Kirksey is the pick that I really liked from that mock.  I checked him out a little, and he definitely has the quickness and explosion to be an effective coverage LB in the NFL.  I think we need a guy like this.  The Iowa TE is an intriguing guy as well.  Yeah, most of these picks are realistic, I suppose.  Just depends on which positions get drafted early.  If TEs start going quickly, then there is no way that the Iowa TE is there in the 3 rd round.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One theme that I want to see during the first 2 days of the draft for the Patriots is drafting players who have been HEALTHY their entire careers.  I have seen enough injuries this year to last me for a while.  I would take any guy who has suffered any sort of knee, ankle, back, or head injuries that caused them to miss any significant time off the board completely, at least through the first 4 rounds.  If they want to take a flier on an injury risk late, that's fine.  There is plenty of talent in this class to be selective about healthy players.  I want talented, but safe picks during the first 4 rounds, and I think that is possible.

[/QUOTE]

It's a fair point... there's something to be said for a player that has demonstrated durability/the ability to stay on the field.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I'm just so tired of having rookies miss valuable time in camp and preseason with nagging injuries.  I think Boyce could have had a much better rookie season had he been healthy the entire time.  Same with Dobson.  Give me talented, healthy players who can get out there and produce from day 1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Here is an attempt at a Patriots mock: 

*Patriots trade Ryan Mallett to HOU for Houston's 3rd round pick in 2014, and Houston's 3rd rounder in 2015. ( I think the 33rd pick is unrealistic compensation).

29)  Trade to Oakland for #36, their 2014 4th, and their 2015 4th.

36)  DT/DE Stephon Tuitt. ND

61)  TE Troy Niklas. ND

65)  WR Brandin Cooks. Oregon St.

93). OC. Weston Richbury. Colorado St.

103). QB. Zach Mettenberger.  LSU

125). DT Anthony Johnson  LSU

4th round comp   LB. Christian Kirksey. Iowa

182). CB Pierre Desir. Lindenwood

189).  SS Hakeem Smith. L'Ville

221). TE/FB Gator Hoskins. Marshall

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Anyone watching the Senior Bowl.

Dee Ford doing Von Miller.

South QBs, Fales, Carr, Garoppolo dominate. North Qbs all inaccurate

No way McCullers gets drafted in 1st 3 rounds. He has no leverage. Stopped, redirected

Hageman nothing, Sutton penetrated 1 time.

WR Norwood, and TE Crockett Gilmore with TE catches

Z martin doing well

Kirksey flash some quick sideline to sideline speed

CJF playing SP and making tackles

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

I like Dee Ford, I think he made his way into the 1st round.  He's been unblockable all week.  I don't think BB will draft someone that s hort and light.  He seems to prefer players 6'3" and taller.  You never know though.

I like WR Norwood too, TE Gilmore caught my eye as well.

I saw Hageman during practice and was unimpressed.  Not sure what the big deal is with him.

This could be the year of the QB though.  There's about 8-10 that could go in the first two rounds.  I bet the Pats trade Mallett and draft themselves a younger stud to replace Brady with 4-7 years from now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No way McCullers gets drafted in 1st 3 rounds. He has no leverage. Stopped, redirected

Z martin doing well

[/QUOTE]

I think Hageman is a project, but I've got to say I think he puts a decent effort in for a guy that big...I just think he gets stood up 80% of the time he rushes.

Dee Ford i think will be decent...he looks thick and pretty quick. Is it just me or does this guy need some practice to move when the ball is snapped? I know he's fast, but he's the last guy moving at the snap with his hand in the ground...I think standing up he is fine, but something happens when his hand is on the ground. I think he'll turn into a decent undersized pass rusher - there seems to be a lot of them making it nowadays.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Derek Carr was doing well when I had to leave. Seemed like all the North squad left their games at the practice field. After watching Nesir make a pick in the endzone I can see why everyone has been talking him up all week. I only saw McGill once so I can't make any judgement on his ability to switch from Safety to CB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

Z martin doing well

[/QUOTE]

People were calling the talent that decided to go to the senior bowl this season more mediocre than in years past with the better talents declining invites.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

The #1 priority must be getting TB the weapons to throw to.  For years, BB has tried to find a TE combo that would give defenses fits.  

He drafted Graham in the 1st in 2002, and then went with Watson in the 1st two years later.  BB continued to draft TE's and it wasn't until Gronk/Hernandez did he find one of all ages.

Now, he's back to the drawing board and not only does he have to find a pairing with Gronk, he might have to find his replacement as well because Gronk cannot stay healthy.

The best blocking/receiving TE coming out seems to be Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  Who should be there between picks 30-45.  I wouldn't be surprised if BB trades down a bit, acquires additional picks, and grabs a TE.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/TE/Austin-Seferian-Jenkins.php

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The #1 priority must be getting TB the weapons to throw to.  For years, BB has tried to find a TE combo that would give defenses fits.  

He drafted Graham in the 1st in 2002, and then went with Watson in the 1st two years later.  BB continued to draft TE's and it wasn't until Gronk/Hernandez did he find one of all ages.

Now, he's back to the drawing board and not only does he have to find a pairing with Gronk, he might have to find his replacement as well because Gronk cannot stay healthy.

The best blocking/receiving TE coming out seems to be Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  Who should be there between picks 30-45.  I wouldn't be surprised if BB trades down a bit, acquires additional picks, and grabs a TE.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/TE/Austin-Seferian-Jenkins.php

[/QUOTE]

I understand your reasoning but I cannot agree. The VERY FIRST thing we need to do is get a very good C and improve and have AT LEAST a solid 2nd TE who can block and catch. PReferably one who is good enough to start if need be.

I do think we need someone besides Gronk even if Gronk is healthy.

BUT IF YOU GIVE TB THE TIME MANNING GETS.... and if you can block for these REALLY good RBs even when playing against a team with very good DT/NT then we can dictate the running game.

After that yes... improve the targets,.... but I am not unhappy with the rookies besides their injuries... I do want to bring competition in and I would love to see a real talent added but not ahead of making the O line a DOMINAT thing of beauty.

After C and RG and TE I want a stud DT/NT and I would love a stud DE (like Nink alot but better to rotate him and let him play in packages that let him bring his best stuff... and keep Jones fresher too).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another question.

Do you guys believe Armstead with be healthy enough to play again? That whole infection things is very mysterious. 

If he is does he make the team? Do you believe him to mostly likely be better than Siliga, Jones, and Vellano? Obviously no one really knows but just gut opinion.

[/QUOTE]

I'm treating Armstead like Pyror, in otherwords he has to earn his spot this summer. Right now he's nothing more than a day 3 pick because that's what he's being paid like. However, I do think only 2 of those 4 will make the team and how things ended Siliga might be in but Vellano and Jones got crushed once teams figured them out. Though, Vellano got more reps at the end of the year showing he was better all around while Chris Jones was a 1 trick pony and really needs to work on a bunch of rushing moves in the offseason. I still want them to draft a top of the line DT because really we can't have another year with 3 JAGs as spot starters.

[/QUOTE]

+1 My feelings as well.

1.  I'm not counting on Armstead.

2.  Beef up the trenches with high round talent.

[/QUOTE]

YES... Beef up both trenches with higher draft picks and FAs. And get a second TE who is good enough to start if need be.

EVERYONE gets better when the trenches are DOMINANT

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Draft Nix (trade up).  Plop him next to a "healthy" Wilfork.  No one will ever run the football again.  Nink and Chandler will both have double digit sacks.  That is my contribution to this thread.  LMAO.

[/QUOTE]

I agree completely.  Nix and Wilfork would be awesome side by side, and they could take turns filling in for each other as NT in the 3-4. 

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Louis-Nix.php

[/QUOTE]

IMO the Pats would be foolish to plan on the assumpton of a healthy VW. They need to beef up the interior DL without depending on him coming back the same. If he comes back to the same shape prior to the injury, consider it bonus.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

lol I had started to write about Hageman a number of times over the past few days and always just seemed to blather as it was hard to put in words how he made me feel watching him.

Today someone else I read online found my words for me.

"Ra’Shede Hageman is easy to like as a prospect but tough to fall in love with."

He's very maddening to watch. Some coach with a big ego will draft him for his upside and try to fix him up. He needs a lot of kicks in the rear end. He's sloopy and undisciplined but a great athlete for his size.

[/QUOTE]

Never really understood what all the hype has been about. When I watched MIN games, he was off the field on half their defensive snaps. When on the field, he did not really show much. every now and then (maybe one or two a game) he'd flash a big play. But who doesn't have highlight plays?

I did not really connect it to lack of discipline. I thought he just did not really understand how to be an effective DT. I guess the question is whether he can be straightened out.

The success stories on high-potential, less developed prospects involved high effort guys. I also did not see consistently high effort from Hageman.

I would not want the Pats to take him in the first. I might be okay if they take him in the late second, but would prefer it if they picked a Fuller or someone else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

anyone have an opinion on Tyler Larsen?

[/QUOTE]

On page 26, I wrote this based on a one game assessment (obviously not enough).

I just learned that I do not know what a third rounder C looks like. He definitely does not have the lateral movement to be a first rounder. Is he a third rounder? I don't know. If he can help the Pats at all, I did not see it in his game today.

On running plays, basically, after snapping, he just shoots forward, and gets though the DL... often pretty much untouched. I am not sure if the NIU DLmen were avoiding to engage him (He is the biggest guy on the field). So, you see him often 3-5 yards in front of the LOS, but I am not sure he actually blocks anyone all the time. UTSU had a good ground game. IMO the heavy lifting was done by the Gs, #54 and #66.

On passing plays, the opposing DL seems to be trying to go around him. To his credit, he seems to stand his ground where he is supposed to be, regardless if none of the DLs are engaging him.

Bottomline... if he were available in the third round and I was asked if they should take him, I probably recommend to go another direction.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Z martin doing well

[/QUOTE]

Some conversation about TE Gillmore on page 19 of the thread.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/2014-patriots-draft-thread/100/6790538?page=19

Back then he was under the radar - i.e., projecting to be UDFA. I was thinking he could be a backup to Gronk... even thought he could be the second dip if they did a double. How do you guys see his performance at the Senior Bowl affect where is is projected to go?

If he goes too high, another under the radar TE who could be a second dip is Najvar from Baylor. They don't throw much to their TE. His main role was to block. However, this kid can catch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Gillmore is rated for rds 4-5th.  I think, like it will be for many, the combine and pro days will provide some movement up or down.  Gillmore looked like he could move well, but what would be key is he consistantly getting seperation.  There was a knock on Lynch about this from sone reports on the Senior Bowl.  Najvar is a late round pick also, but could move up with strong measurables.  Rodgers from CAL would be someone in that move TE role that could be picked-up.  We also have DJ Williams signed for next year.  There is a remote option to convert a large WR, like Harrison, who is already signed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

*Patriots trade Ryan Mallett to HOU for Houston's 3rd round pick in 2014, and Houston's 3rd rounder in 2015. ( I think the 33rd pick is unrealistic compensation).

61)  TE Troy Niklas. ND

[/QUOTE]

Most realistic trade of Mallett I've seen yet

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Z martin doing well

[/QUOTE]

I think Hageman is a project, but I've got to say I think he puts a decent effort in for a guy that big...I just think he gets stood up 80% of the time he rushes.

Dee Ford i think will be decent...he looks thick and pretty quick. Is it just me or does this guy need some practice to move when the ball is snapped? I know he's fast, but he's the last guy moving at the snap with his hand in the ground...I think standing up he is fine, but something happens when his hand is on the ground. I think he'll turn into a decent undersized pass rusher - there seems to be a lot of them making it nowadays.

[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it. If he can learn some moves to prevent getting stood up this guy could be something extremely special. He has top 15 talent but needs some coaching to bring it out of him. Depending on how BB looks at it, if he thinks he could get coached up this is BB's chance to get a top 15 DL talent in the back of the 1st.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

61)  TE Troy Niklas. ND

[/QUOTE]

Most realistic trade of Mallett I've seen yet

[/QUOTE]

Most say the comp picks for NE will be 2 sixth rounders and a 7th.  Two sixth rounders most likely.  I like the draft.  Cooks may rise after the combine, but I think he has what it takes to do better than Dobson and Boyce.  Not totally sold on Richbury.  Stork might be better.  Johnson may go sooner also but you never know.  I like Desir and Smith.  Really good value there.

Really good draft IMHO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I haven't been able to go over the senior bowl yet so I'm shooting blind a little but who are your top 5 sleepers in this draft?

Mine are:

Joe Don Duncan TE Dixie State - 6'4" 270 ~4.7 40

After I first saw the guy I saw an interesting pass catching option TE who has above average blocking ability. I haven't seen him with senior bowl tape yet so if you guys have let me know how he did. But, all in all he shattered passing records for TE while at Dixie. You can chalk that up to a smaller school but he has soft hands, catch at the point of attack, can take a hit while in the act of the catch, and seems to find the hole in the D to get open. For a big man he moves pretty we and gets good leverage in the blocking game. I don't think he's going to be a starter in the league but he'd be a great #3 TE with a high level of versatility. Basically Hooman with better catching ability. I think someone will take a chance on him early day 3

Anthony Exum CB/S Vir Tech - 6'1" 225 ~ 4.55 40

It's hard to call Exum a sleeper but because of injures I think many will overlook this kid. If not for injures he'd be in conversations as a potential late 1st early 2nd round pick. He has the size to play SS but the quickness to play CB. Not afraid to hit RB's he seems like the perfect combination to help in the box, cover RB/TE's, or even cover larger slot guys. To me he's only a sleeper because the injures will make him overlooked but in the back of the 3rd he's worth a late day 2 pick. He won't make it out of the 4th round if he makes it that far

Henry Jones RB Mis - 5'10" 190 ~ 4.5 40

Crowell is a shifty RB who can hit a hole and burst through. Though not a massive power back he has leg drive to keep the pile pushing. He averaged 6.6ypc with over 1000yrds this season proves he can run and makes people miss. He could have used another year in school and been pushed up to day 2 but as it stands he's a mid day 3 pick. The reason he is dropping is missing all of the 12' season but in 11' he was one of the best RB's in the SEC and again this year proved he was still one of the best. When healthy this kid could be one of the biggest sleepers in the darft.

Cody Hoffman WR BYU - 6'4" 215 ~4.6 40

Hoffman was one of the most productive WR's in 12' and would be on many radars if not for a one game suspension and lack of speed. But, he runs better than average routes, knows how to block out CB's with his massive body, and has excellent hands. He'd make for a excellent RZ threat overall but don't expect him to gain much seperation. In the pro's he's going to have to rely on his ability to create seperation using his big bulk and not garner many yac. He should be a mid day 3 pick.

Aaron Lynch DE S. Florida - 6'6" 262 ~4.7 40

He is an athletic specimen and was a beast for ND but left because he was homesick. To me that's a maturity issue and if he can stand the cold in NE he'd be a steal day 3. When at S. Florida he didn't show the same dominance as he did in ND but came on late in the season. Truthfully if he stayed in school and had another year like he did his freshman year he'd be a 1st round pick. Well worth a 4th on the kid to make sure they get him.

And because I can't keep to my own rules here's a bonus 6th and 7th person:

Alex Neutz WR Buf - 6'3" 205 ~4.55 40

Much like Hoffman he won't kill you with speed and might have issues gaining seperation in the pro's. He is very adept at compensating with quick CoD and using his big body though. For a bigger guy he has surprising CoD and flexibility to find the open spots. He had very impressive games against both Ohio and Baylor so he has ability to beat pro caliber CB's. He's someone to keep an eye on for day 3

Caraun Reid DT Princton - 6'2" 305 ~5.35 40

At princton he was dominant. So dominant he got an invite to the senior bowl (haven't seen him yet). He was very disruptive behind the line. I don't see starter from him but I see him similar to a Love type of player with spot starter upside late in day 3 to UDFA range.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Z martin doing well

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it. If he can learn some moves to prevent getting stood up this guy could be something extremely special. He has top 15 talent but needs some coaching to bring it out of him. Depending on how BB looks at it, if he thinks he could get coached up this is BB's chance to get a top 15 DL talent in the back of the 1st.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly on Hageman, and similar for McCullers.  He is a monster, but stands up.  He needs to be more  flexible and be coached up on leverage.  He just uses his body bull rushing. If he was there at the end of the 4th or  early 5th. I would go for him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Z martin doing well

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly on Hageman, and similar for McCullers.  He is a monster, but stands up.  He needs to be more  flexible and be coached up on leverage.  He just uses his body bull rushing. If he was there at the end of the 4th or  early 5th. I would go for him.

[/QUOTE]

I'd be very happy with McCullers. Was one of my favorites back in Sept but I have colled a lot on the kid. Massive size and potential but never falshed it this year. At least with Hageman we saw flashes, but would be very happy with McCuller as a day 3 pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I haven't been able to go over the senior bowl yet so I'm shooting blind a little but who are your top 5 sleepers in this draft?

Mine are:

Joe Don Duncan TE Dixie State - 6'4" 270 ~4.7 40

After I first saw the guy I saw an interesting pass catching option TE who has above average blocking ability. I haven't seen him with senior bowl tape yet so if you guys have let me know how he did. But, all in all he shattered passing records for TE while at Dixie. You can chalk that up to a smaller school but he has soft hands, catch at the point of attack, can take a hit while in the act of the catch, and seems to find the hole in the D to get open. For a big man he moves pretty we and gets good leverage in the blocking game. I don't think he's going to be a starter in the league but he'd be a great #3 TE with a high level of versatility. Basically Hooman with better catching ability. I think someone will take a chance on him early day 3

Anthony Exum CB/S Vir Tech - 6'1" 225 ~ 4.55 40

It's hard to call Exum a sleeper but because of injures I think many will overlook this kid. If not for injures he'd be in conversations as a potential late 1st early 2nd round pick. He has the size to play SS but the quickness to play CB. Not afraid to hit RB's he seems like the perfect combination to help in the box, cover RB/TE's, or even cover larger slot guys. To me he's only a sleeper because the injures will make him overlooked but in the back of the 3rd he's worth a late day 2 pick. He won't make it out of the 4th round if he makes it that far

Henry Jones RB Mis - 5'10" 190 ~ 4.5 40

Crowell is a shifty RB who can hit a hole and burst through. Though not a massive power back he has leg drive to keep the pile pushing. He averaged 6.6ypc with over 1000yrds this season proves he can run and makes people miss. He could have used another year in school and been pushed up to day 2 but as it stands he's a mid day 3 pick. The reason he is dropping is missing all of the 12' season but in 11' he was one of the best RB's in the SEC and again this year proved he was still one of the best. When healthy this kid could be one of the biggest sleepers in the darft.

Cody Hoffman WR BYU - 6'4" 215 ~4.6 40

Hoffman was one of the most productive WR's in 12' and would be on many radars if not for a one game suspension and lack of speed. But, he runs better than average routes, knows how to block out CB's with his massive body, and has excellent hands. He'd make for a excellent RZ threat overall but don't expect him to gain much seperation. In the pro's he's going to have to rely on his ability to create seperation using his big bulk and not garner many yac. He should be a mid day 3 pick.

Aaron Lynch DE S. Florida - 6'6" 262 ~4.7 40

He is an athletic specimen and was a beast for ND but left because he was homesick. To me that's a maturity issue and if he can stand the cold in NE he'd be a steal day 3. When at S. Florida he didn't show the same dominance as he did in ND but came on late in the season. Truthfully if he stayed in school and had another year like he did his freshman year he'd be a 1st round pick. Well worth a 4th on the kid to make sure they get him.

And because I can't keep to my own rules here's a bonus 6th and 7th person:

Alex Neutz WR Buf - 6'3" 205 ~4.55 40

Much like Hoffman he won't kill you with speed and might have issues gaining seperation in the pro's. He is very adept at compensating with quick CoD and using his big body though. For a bigger guy he has surprising CoD and flexibility to find the open spots. He had very impressive games against both Ohio and Baylor so he has ability to beat pro caliber CB's. He's someone to keep an eye on for day 3

Caraun Reid DT Princton - 6'2" 305 ~5.35 40

At princton he was dominant. So dominant he got an invite to the senior bowl (haven't seen him yet). He was very disruptive behind the line. I don't see starter from him but I see him similar to a Love type of player with spot starter upside late in day 3 to UDFA range.

Good topic, I also share an affinity for Exum and would classify him more as a potential steal/value pick than a sleeper.

Below are some kids that aren't discussed a ton that I think could be solid NFL players.

1.  Brent Urban- DT/DE- Virginia-  6-6 295 kid that is a monster vs. the run, believe ESPN Scouts Inc. listed him as the best at setting the during SB week and he certainly has the size/lenth that BB values in his trench players.  He's raw as a PR, but would provide a ton of value on 1st and 2nd down, or obvious running downs early on... something that they've had problems with this year.  He's likely of the board between Rd's 3-5.

2.  TJ Jones- WR- ND- He's not a gamebreaker and isn't somebody that's going to create down the field consistently, but he's a savvy kid, that runs excellent routes, can seperate in the s/hort/intermediate areas of the field and has excellent ball skills/hands.  He was just a reliable go to kid for ND and has seen the field consistently since his freshman season... also has some return ability.  In a draft as deep as this one at WR, he's a solid Day 3 kid that could bring value between Rd's 5-7.

3.  Jason Hendricks- S- PittStrong, wiry build (6-0 190)... good awarenes/read react... consistently around or making plays on the football in the air... takes good angles to the football, plays under control... is physical and one of the most secure tacklers that I've seen on tape this year... solid wrap technique.  He also has a ton of quality experience having seen the field since he walked on campus.

4.  Trey Millard- TE/HB/FB- Oklahoma-  Very versatile and can line up at multiple spots on the field.  Good succes and is proven vs. good comp, also effective at carrying the football... good power and RAC ability.  BB loves versatility and this kid can do a lot on the offensive side of the ball.  Another kid with some Day 3 value/upside.

5.  Jason Ellis- DT- LTU- A big (6-2 340), strong 2-gap fatty with a rabid play temperment, the awarness to make plays down the LOS and better than you'd think movement ability and range.  BB's kind of interior defender.

6.  Tyler Gaffney- RB- Stanford-  He's just a big (6-0 225), tough, athletic (also played minor league baseball) back that will grind you down between the tackles and catch the football... he also has relatively light treadwear on the tires, despite his 331 carries this season.  Should be off the board at some point between Rds 5-7.

7.  Chris Watt- OG/C- ND- Tough, physical, nasty, and experienced interior OL prospect with good power at the point (6-3 321), the ability to anchor and hammer at the 2nd level.  He's been an OG during his days in SB, but I've recently seen a comment from a pro scout that said he'd make a very good C.

8.  BJ Lowery- CB- Iowa- Solid late round/URFA type CB that's made a ton of plays on the football this year (16 PBU/3 INT)... also showed well vs. LSU's high powered WR corps (Beckham/Landry combined for 4/56 with 0 TD's).

I'd also like the idea of Alabama S Vinnie Sunseri and Iowa OLB Christian Kirksey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Watched some Kirksey tape to get a better idea of his skill set... certainly the versatile, rangy, athletic player that has been mentioned.

Overall, I really enjoyed watching Iowa play defense, their LB's get after it (James Morris and Anthony Hitchens) and I liked  one of their S as a late round/URFA type kid... Tanner Miller (6-2 207) is a rangy kid that's not shy in run support, will strike and wrap and has the speed to cover down the field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey guys!  Wanted to talk about Louis Nix III for a minute.  He has been mentioned as a great fit for NE, and with good reason.  Tremendous size and skillset for a DT.  Like most of you, I would love it if we landed him.  I would, however, have a slight concern with him, and that is his knee.  I know his knee injury wasn't to one of the major ligaments, and meniscus surgery is relatively minor, but the thought of spendind a first, or likely even trading up for a 340+ lb player who is coming off of a knee injury is slight disconcerning, regardless of his skillset.  What do you all think?  Would you draft him if he slid to 29?  He probably won't last that long, so would you trade up for him?  How far would you trade up?  What would you be willing to give up for Nix?