2nd day draft picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: 2nd day draft picks

This looks like a great job so far for BB. 97 should be interesting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

So, a lot of people thought we'd pick Butler at #23.  BB basically traded 23 down to 41, got Butler anyway, and picked up 2 third round picks.  He then turned 2 third round picks into 2 second round picks next year. 

So, we got the same player many of us wanted at 23, and picked up 2 extra second round picks next year.

BB is so smart it is almost unfair.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Exactly.. great strategy. Now they have leverage to trade up or down if necessary in 2010. Next three picks are comps (non-tradable).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Pyegian-  And so many of these football genious' on here are upset with BB trading down and not picking Rey, Connor, Clay, etc etc etc

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

I love what we've done so far. Great, great manuevering in the draft. I do wish we'd picked up Barwin, but I'm not going to complain. Gilbert was my top guy in the third, but I'm happier with two seconds for next year. Now maybe we can package and move up for Brandon Spikes. Smile

I'm hoping for Rashad Jennings with the comp pick. That would be sweet!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

For #97, we take Tyron McKenzie, OLB, South Florida

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tyrone McKenzie, OLB

Overview

A double-transfer who originally signed with Michigan State, McKenzie transferred first to Iowa State and then to South Florida in an attempt to be closer to his mother, who was struggling with health issues. Scouts love that regardless of which uniform he wore, McKenzie always produced. The versatile linebacker has put up 100-plus tackles at middle linebacker for the Cyclones (129 in 2006) and on the strong side (114 in 2007, 116 in '08) for the Bulls. A solid performance with yet another team -- the South team during the Senior Bowl -- could have secured his status as a first-day selection.

High School

Ranked among Florida's top 50 prospects by the Tampa Tribune ... First-team All-Hillsborough County selection by the Tampa Tribune ... Second-team all-county pick by the St. Petersburg Times ... Played in the Dec. 6 Hillsborough County All-Star Game in Raymond James Stadium ... Rushed for more than 1,400 yards and 16 touchdowns as a senior for coach Dan O'Regan at Riverview (Fla.) High School ... Averaged 7.7 yards per carry in 2003 ... Produced four 200-yard rushing games as a senior, including an 80-yard TD run ... Picked up 230 yards vs. Jefferson ... Rushed 20 times for 205 yards and four TDs vs. Brandon ... Had 165 yards and three TDs vs. King, scoring on runs of 4, 45 and 19 yards ... Suffered a broken leg in the second game of his junior year and missed the remainder of the 2002 season ... Qualified for the 2004 state 4A track championships in the 110 hurdles.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tyrone McKenzie, OLB

Analysis

Positives: Some versatility to play inside and in space. ... "Sam" linebacker who lines up in the stack and nine-techniques. ... Holds his ground adequately against tackles on outside run plays, can shed to turn play inside or make the tackle. ... Breaks down in the open, and can wrap up elusive runners in space. ... Brings his hips to hit ballcarriers straight on, and will put his helmet on the ball to create a turnover. ... Gets a fair punch on tight ends to knock them off the line, and stays with them in coverage. ... Will chase and hustle downfield, giving second or third effort on inside runs plays to get to the ball.

Negatives: Could be considered a bit of an inside-outside "tweener" by NFL teams. ... Not especially fluid dropping into coverage. ... Comes out of the game in nickel situations and probably will do so in the NFL. ... Not quick enough to corral slot receivers in zones. ... Doesn't have the great strength or bulk to fight his way through trash inside.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]For #97, we take Tyron McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]here is some footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RPPotWNNSg

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

He is OLB but will project into ILB in Pats system.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

possibly.he will be good at depth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tyrone McKenzie analysis

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 26, 2009 12:15 PM

ANALYSIS

In selecting South Florida linebacker Tyrone McKenzie with the 97th overall selection, the Patriots landed a player with one of the most inspirational stories in the draft.

McKenzie played at three colleges, and after his mother was left unable to work by injuries suffered in an accident, he left school and was working from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. at a Hampton Inn to support her and his three sisters.

From a pure football standpoint, McKenzie (6-1, 243) projects to inside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 scheme. The team has starters Tedy Bruschi (contract through 2009) and Jerod Mayo (2012) returning, with Gary Guyton (2009) the top backup. Bo Ruud, a 2008 sixth-round pick who spent all of last year on season-ending injured reserve, is also in the mix.

With the selection of McKenzie, the Patriots are likely thinking about Bruschi nearing the end of his career and developing a possible youngster to assume that spot -- or compete with Guyton and Ruud for that spot -- in the future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]possibly.he will be good at depth.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]he could use some weight,and needs to get stronger,and physical.maybe in a couple of years he could be something.I have a nephue who goes to USF,and all he talks about is selvie.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Tyrone-McKenzie.php

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

A few guys had him on their list, actually. If you take a look at the boards over at Patsfans.com, you'll find that not only did we keep track of every player the Patriots worked out, visited, or flew in for a private workout, but we also spent a lot of time debating the 3 - 7 round prospects, and McKenzie was one of the names that came up most frequently.

Anyway, he's a good pick, but I don't think he's a three-down linebacker like Mayo. I suppose that's where Guyton comes in? I'm still hoping for Spikes next year, though that may not happen now.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this draft. Very pleased. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Brandon Tate analysis
     Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 26, 2009 11:20 AM

ANALYSIS

In selecting receiver Brandon Tate with the 83rd overall pick, the Patriots land a pass-catcher and returner who will have the luxury of learning the system behind the scenes as he continues to recover from multiple torn ligaments in his knee. This looks like a pick made more with 2010 in mind, which makes sense given Tate's health and the log-jam that already exists on the roster.

The Patriots have Randy Moss (contract through 2010), Wes Welker (2011), Joey Galloway (2009) and Greg Lewis (2011) atop the receiver depth chart.

Galloway will likely be the third receiver this season, and in the recovering Tate, the Patriots are planning for the future. One of the harder areas to judge receivers in college is their separation ability, an area that Tate grades out highly, according to the Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview.

Foxsports.com reported that Tate failed a drug test (marijuana) at the combine, so the Patriots must have felt comfortable that it was an isolated incident.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]he could use some weight,and needs to get stronger,and physical.maybe in a couple of years he could be something.I have a nephue who goes to USF,and all he talks about is selvie. http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Tyrone-McKenzie.php
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Strength is the best part of his game. And he is plenty physical IMO. I wouldn't say  he needs to get stronger at all. Gaining five pounds could help, but he is the take on guy Ne needs next to Mayo. They could be a great pair down the line.

You are right. I had Selvie on my board too, but he didn't declare. It is smart too. One more year could be a good thing for his value. But man a tremendous pair.

They were great in the Kansas game where USF really played a larger program tough and got a win.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tate: I made a mistake

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 26, 2009 01:00 PM

FOXBOROUGH -- University of North Carolina receiver Brandon Tate, who was selected with the 83rd overall pick, held a conference call with reporters today and acknowledged a positive test for marijuana at the combine. Foxsports.com previously reported the test.

"I made a mistake and all that is behind me," he said. "I'm just moving forward and ready to go to the NFL and play for the Patriots."

Tate said he figured the test would affect his draft status, "but I was still waiting on that call because I knew someone would give me a chance and I thank the Patriots for that. I'm going to come in and be willing to work for them."

Tate is recovering from torn ligaments in his right knee. He was asked if he thought he'd be ready to participate in minicamps and training camp.

"When I go up there, I'm going to do rehab and whatever happens, happens," he said, noting that he hasn't had any setbacks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

The New England Patriots are making a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cool-hand-luke. Show cool-hand-luke's posts

Holy sh@#$@ they traded Hobbs!

For two fifth rounders.  Wow.

Too bad, I liked Hollywood, even if he is a pipsqueak.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

OL Rich Ohrnberger

Overview

Ohrnberger, tackle Gerald Cadogan and Rimington Trophy-winning center A.Q. Shipley all made first-team All-Big Ten. Ohrnberger's toughness inside fit in Penn State's "Spread HD" perfectly; NFL teams using a zone-blocking system will find Ohrnberger a good fit.

High School
    Ohrnberger lettered in football and lacrosse at East Meadow HS. He was a three-year letterman and two-year captain in football for Coach Vincent Mascia. Ohrnberger was the 2003 New York AA Player of the Year and was a two-time all-conference, all-county, all-metro and All-Long Island pick. He won the Martone Award as the Most Outstanding Lineman in Nassau County and the Thorp Award as the Most Outstanding Player in Nassau County. He also was selected to play in the Governor's Bowl (New York vs. New Jersey) and the Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge (New York City vs. Long Island). He did not allow any sacks his senior season and averaged 38.0 yards per punt. On defense, he recorded 151 career tackles, with 11 sacks and 38 tackles for loss. He made 66 stops, with four sacks and 13 TFL as a senior.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Rich Ohrnberger analysis

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 26, 2009 01:47 PM

ANALYSIS

In drafting Penn State center/guard Rich Ohrnberger with the 123rd overall selection – a pick acquired in multiple trades – the Patriots essentially reallocated their assets.

It started with the Patriots trading veteran cornerback Ellis Hobbs to the Philadelphia Eagles for two fifth-round draft choices (137, 141).

The Patriots then turned around and traded those picks (137, 141) to Baltimore for a fourth-round pick (123) and sixth-rounder (198).

Ohrnberger, a player who took a pre-draft visit to Gillette Stadium, adds youth to the interior of the offensive line and provides a fallback, longer-term option with starting guards Logan Mankins (left) and Stephen Neal (right) entering the final year of their contracts.

The Patriots’ top backups at center/guard – Russ Hochstein and Billy Yates – also have contracts expiring after the 2009 season.

With the Patriots having adding to the cornerback spot over the last two years in the draft with Darius Butler, Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite – in addition to signing free agents Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden this year – they must have felt well stocked at that spot in the short- and long-term.

So they dealt Hobbs, with the idea of hopefully addressing a longer-term need elsewhere – on the interior of the offensive line.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

I like pick #170, George Bussey- good OL from Louisville.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

I would like either Javon Ringer, Rashad Jennings, or James Davis. As far as I know, we have no fullback either now that Evans is gone to the Saints. Wouldn't mind a FB too.