32 high draft picks over 7 years.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

32 high draft picks over 7 years.

List for me, from these 32 picks in the first 3 rounds since 2006, the ones you think were GREAT picks at their spot in the draft?

Here they are.

Thomas, Jackson, Maroney, Meriweather, Mayo, Wheatley, Crable, O'Connel, Chung, Brace, Butler, Vollmer, Tate, McKenzie, McCourty, Gronk, Cunningham, Spikes, Price, Solder, Dowling, Vereen, Ridley, Mallet, Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Bequette, Collins, Dobson, Ryan and Harmon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: 32 high draft picks over 7 years.

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mayo, Gronk and for where spikes was drafted i may go with him too.. vereen in the 3rd looks great too.

great- Mayo Gronk

Good- Vereen, Jones, Spikes, Vollmer, McCourty, Rid

Average- Solder

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think we have to simply rate years with this team.  They have had some great draft years, good draft years and some poor ones and one absolutely horrible one in 2007. 

Good draft years = 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000

Poor draft years = 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

I think there were some really poor drafting years from 2006-2009, but the team has had consistently good drafts with at least a couple of solid contributors to the team for many years before and after.  I do notice that you arbitrarily picked out 2006 as the starting point because every draft for six years before that was good.

Thomas, Jackson, Maroney, Meriweather, Mayo, Wheatley, Crable, O'Connel, Chung, Brace, Butler, Vollmer, Tate, McKenzie, McCourty, Gronk, Cunningham, Spikes, Price, Solder, Dowling, Vereen, Ridley, Mallet, Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Bequette, Collins, Dobson, Ryan and Harmon.

I noticed that you are missing Ghostkowski, Slater, Edelman, Mesko, Hernandez, Cannon, Dennard and Boyce... the list looks a little better with them in there since they are all since 2006 as well.  I know they are not the first three rounds, but they are still team contributors and show the full ability of the team to find good players through the draft and not just in the first rounds.

I thought this team was going down the tubes after our string of poor drafts, but they have really improved in the past handful of years.  This year's class is a bit too green to make a real judgement on, but it seems like we will at least get a couple of solid regulars if not more out of the group. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mayo, Gronk and for where spikes was drafted i may go with him too.. vereen in the 3rd looks great too.

great- Mayo Gronk

Good- Vereen, Jones, Spikes, Vollmer, McCourty, Rid

Average- Solder

[/QUOTE]

I think Vereen was second round that year with Ridley taken in the third the same year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I'm not being a BB apologist, but it should be taken into consideration that the Patriots have drafted at the end of the draft every year since 2001 since they have had success on the field every single year.  The early draft picks they did have were from trades with other teams and not consistently picked at the top of the draft in later rounds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

One of the fun games on this thread with the changes in design is the personal "who started this thread" game.

This thread, for example.  Before I opened the thread for the first time, I asked myself based on the title - Who started this thread. 

In this example, I thought - boy this looks like a Babe thread.  I opened it up and

BINGO!!! 

Dude is more obvious than the sun on a cloudless day.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

great

Chandler Jones: 1st round (21 st pick). Would be even better with more D Line help.

Vollmer: end of 2nd round

Gronk: 2nd round

Dobson: 2nd round (potential to be great. Still needs to prove it). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

One of the fun games on this thread with the changes in design is the personal "who started this thread" game.

This thread, for example.  Before I opened the thread for the first time, I asked myself based on the title - Who started this thread. 

In this example, I thought - boy this looks like a Babe thread.  I opened it up and

BINGO!!! 

Dude is more obvious than the sun on a cloudless day.

You're a real f'n genius troll.

Now run along and get back to abusing that female-trainer blowup doll of yours.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I noticed that you are missing Ghostkowski, Slater, Edelman, Mesko, Hernandez, Cannon, Dennard and Boyce...

[/QUOTE]

Just going with the top 3 rounds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not being a BB apologist, but it should be taken into consideration that the Patriots have drafted at the end of the draft every year since 2001 since they have had success on the field every single year.  The early draft picks they did have were from trades with other teams and not consistently picked at the top of the draft in later rounds.

[/QUOTE]

Are you taking into consideration that BB hasn't had to worry about finding a franchise QB for 12 years, while others have had to expend huge draft resources in search of that? Probably not. People tend to see only the things that bolster their point of view.

That lament about not drafting at the top of the rounds is rather moot, since before the rookie wage scale, top 10 picks were a huge financial gamble against the cap.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

List for me, from these 32 picks in the first 3 rounds since 2006, the ones you think were GREAT picks at their spot in the draft?

Here they are.

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you don't even need to know anything about football for the answer to reveal itself:

We have ...  Jerod's All-Pro Mayonnaise, and Gronk Flakes

/End List

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I cannot believe he's doing this again.

The fact is, 2006 was his worst draft because of the disappointing Maroney and whiff on JAckson.  2007, you have to count Moss and Welker as picks because he knew he had his team buillt already, so, really whoever he drafted, they were going to have a tough time making the club anyway.

[/QUOTE]

No you don't.  How absurd.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Here they are.

babe I put my response next to each name....

Thomas, David thomas? I didn't think we needed him at that spot, although he was the captain of the national championship team.

Jackson, was a great pick at that spot and we drafted for necessity.  Most analyst's agreed.

Maroney, same as Jackson, if we didn't take him the colts were a few picks later great pick at a position of need. Dungy spoke of this.

Meriweather i liked getting the UM player where we did, needed some attitude, unfortunately he had no brains.

Mayo, great pick, top 5 ILB in the league.

, Wheatley was a bust, still in the league.

Crable couldnt stay healthy, a reach too

O'Connel I didn't like that pick I think 3rd rounder no? Bad pick imo

Chung solid pick drafting a position of need from a good school.

Brace, developmental player....who never got developed or couldn't stay healthy.

Butler, great pick had 3 interceptions in 1 game last week but 1 called back on a penalty.Didnt get coached up or had some kind of attitude/ defiency. Solid corner for colts.

Vollmer, great pick, starting RT on a great yearly top 5 offensive line.

Tate solid player still a contributor but we know how wr's develop in our system...not at all.

McKenzie injury case.

McCourty, great pick, 7 picks his 1st year, but a better safety.

Gronk great pick, caught more tds in his 1st 3 years then any player in NFL history.

Cunningham, bust

Spikes, good pick, good run stuffer.

Price i thought he was a reach at the time.

Solder great pick, way better then anthony costanzo we passed up, who I thought we should have picked.

Dowling, injury gamble that didnt pay off.

Vereen, great pick.

Ridley, greay pick

Mallet great pick and a steal

Jones, great pick

Hightower, great pick

Wilson, tavon? Bust and reach

Bequette,i liked this pick even though it was considered a reach but apparently he wasnt nfl ready.

Collins, great pick brings much needed athleticism

Dobson, great pick, position of need

Ryan good pick

and Harmon solid pick, like the big frame, need a hitter back there!

Good thread babe!

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

[QUOTE]

Here they are.

[/QUOTE]

That Maroney pick really hurts, the could have taken Deangelo Williams

With Merriweather, they could have drafted Jon Beason or even Greg Olsen.

In 2009, Darius Butler was taken just ahead of Jarius Byrd in the 2nd.  

Lots of big misses as far as I can see, the worst being Rasi, a 2nd rd pick that gave the Pats literally nothing!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Here they are.

[/QUOTE]

That Maroney pick really hurts, the could have taken Deangelo Williams

With Merriweather, they could have drafted Jon Beason or even Greg Olsen.

In 2009, Darius Butler was taken just ahead of Jarius Byrd in the 2nd.  

Lots of big misses as far as I can see, the worst being Rasi, a 2nd rd pick that gave the Pats literally nothing!

[/QUOTE]

im gonna say terrance wheatley because he was better off not playing at all likee Ras-I cuz he got beat all the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Here they are.

[/QUOTE]

Great pick= Chandler Jones. I'd put Gronk here as well, but he fell in the draft because of injuries - then he got injured, again, and again and again. And let's not forget we passed over players to get him....didn't we trade out of the spot that Clay Mathews was selected?

Truth is during that time span all those players were selected we had MORE draft selections than anyone and were considered super smart for moving all around the draft board, yet we ended up with a bunch of crap. That was our future right there and we blew it big time. In all that time, and in all those selections we never were able to find a corner, safety or defensive tackle (kind of important when you're "rebuilding a defense"). I'd also say we never were able to draft a wide receiver that could play or a feature back.

The worst part is our draft selections are not nearly as bad as our free agent signings during that period.

And for all the undrafted free agent lovers on this forum...BJGE has proven to be terrible...he is 139th in YPC average...32nd in yards amongst running backs...25th in rushing touchdowns. A guy like Justin Francis (who everyone put in the hall of fame last year) is not in football a year later. Arrington is a total meatball. Vellano and Jones probably won't be in football next year and are spearheading the worst rush defense in the NFL. Fletcher can't run ten yards to cover someone. And remember all these "uncovered jems" are only here because the first five guys Belichick brings in for their position FAIL miserably. You can thank Belichick the coach for duct taping this thing together and putting lesser talent players in the right spots off of heavy heavy coaching and preparation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I cannot believe he's doing this again.

The fact is, 2006 was his worst draft because of the disappointing Maroney and whiff on JAckson.  2007, you have to count Moss and Welker as picks because he knew he had his team buillt already, so, really whoever he drafted, they were going to have a tough time making the club anyway.

[/QUOTE]

No you don't.  How absurd.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, you do.

They used 3 PICKS on those two players, one was a 2nd rder and BB had a veteran team at the time. Plus, they didn't like the draft class.

You're a moron.  They didn't like the 2007 or 2008 draft classes as a whole. That's a fact per Paul Perillo.

BB should be commended for fleecing Miami and Oakland, two AFC teams, yet you idiots want to pretend tossing 3 picks in that draft don't have an impact on the draft?

You have to look at the whole picture, dummy.

Chia took Kessel, what, 5th overall? Seguin, 2nd. He's got neither now, does he? You have NOTHING to say on this topic as a Jacobs Loving moron deluxe homer Bruins fan.

Go grow a mullett and buy another Jagr jersey, you idiot.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I guess you should include Ocho & Haynesworth in your  calculations, too.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Here they are.

[/QUOTE]

Great pick= Chandler Jones. I'd put Gronk here as well, but he fell in the draft because of injuries - then he got injured, again, and again and again. And let's not forget we passed over players to get him....didn't we trade out of the spot that Clay Mathews was selected?

Truth is during that time span all those players were selected we had MORE draft selections than anyone and were considered super smart for moving all around the draft board, yet we ended up with a bunch of crap. That was our future right there and we blew it big time. In all that time, and in all those selections we never were able to find a corner, safety or defensive tackle (kind of important when you're "rebuilding a defense"). I'd also say we never were able to draft a wide receiver that could play or a feature back.

The worst part is our draft selections are not nearly as bad as our free agent signings during that period.

And for all the undrafted free agent lovers on this forum...BJGE has proven to be terrible...he is 139th in YPC average...32nd in yards amongst running backs...25th in rushing touchdowns. A guy like Justin Francis (who everyone put in the hall of fame last year) is not in football a year later. Arrington is a total meatball. Vellano and Jones probably won't be in football next year and are spearheading the worst rush defense in the NFL. Fletcher can't run ten yards to cover someone. And remember all these "uncovered jems" are only here because the first five guys Belichick brings in for their position FAIL miserably. You can thank Belichick the coach for duct taping this thing together and putting lesser talent players in the right spots off of heavy heavy coaching and preparation.

[/QUOTE]

Here's the problem with the BJGE argument.  Yes, of course, he was not very good.  But who needed a RB when you had the greatest passsing attack in the NFL?  Of course, with his entire premise developed around how awful Brady is, he could never use that defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Here they are.

babe I put my response next to each name....

Thomas, David thomas? I didn't think we needed him at that spot, although he was the captain of the national championship team.

Jackson, was a great pick at that spot and we drafted for necessity.  Most analyst's agreed.

Maroney, same as Jackson, if we didn't take him the colts were a few picks later great pick at a position of need. Dungy spoke of this.

Meriweather i liked getting the UM player where we did, needed some attitude, unfortunately he had no brains.

Mayo, great pick, top 5 ILB in the league.

, Wheatley was a bust, still in the league.

Crable couldnt stay healthy, a reach too

O'Connel I didn't like that pick I think 3rd rounder no? Bad pick imo

Chung solid pick drafting a position of need from a good school.

Brace, developmental player....who never got developed or couldn't stay healthy.

Butler, great pick had 3 interceptions in 1 game last week but 1 called back on a penalty.Didnt get coached up or had some kind of attitude/ defiency. Solid corner for colts.

Vollmer, great pick, starting RT on a great yearly top 5 offensive line.

Tate solid player still a contributor but we know how wr's develop in our system...not at all.

McKenzie injury case.

McCourty, great pick, 7 picks his 1st year, but a better safety.

Gronk great pick, caught more tds in his 1st 3 years then any player in NFL history.

Cunningham, bust

Spikes, good pick, good run stuffer.

Price i thought he was a reach at the time.

Solder great pick, way better then anthony costanzo we passed up, who I thought we should have picked.

Dowling, injury gamble that didnt pay off.

Vereen, great pick.

Ridley, greay pick

Mallet great pick and a steal

Jones, great pick

Hightower, great pick

Wilson, tavon? Bust and reach

Bequette,i liked this pick even though it was considered a reach but apparently he wasnt nfl ready.

Collins, great pick brings much needed athleticism

Dobson, great pick, position of need

Ryan good pick

and Harmon solid pick, like the big frame, need a hitter back there!

Good thread babe!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you for flooking real? Vereen & Ridley are great picks?  One, if not both are busts.  Mallet a great pick?  Why?  Dowling?  Just say it, FIRST ROUND BUST and BB traded up for him.  Hightower? Great pick? Ok, I've had it.  You're a freakin moron.

25. This post has been removed.