37+ cuts in the next four months!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

37+ cuts in the next four months!

This is going to be a wild camp/preseason! Looking at the current roster, I can only identify about 16 players on offense, 12 on defense, and 2 on special teams that are what I would call 'locks' to make the team. Add in 3 draftees and that leaves about 20 spots up for grabs. On the other end, there are maybe 15-20 players that are long shots and are really competing for the 8 practice squad spots. That leaves a pool of 35+ players that logically have a shot at those 20 roster spots. And that doesn't count any additions from other teams cuts or additional FA signings or camp surprises.
    There are going to be some really tough decisions coming at the end of August.
    And this is just the Pats - add in 31 other teams and the end of August cut lists are going to be really interesting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

Re: 37+ cuts in the next four months!

I really wish the NFL would expand the roster. maybe 60 max. Some of these guys never get the chance to prove themselves. I really liked the Markell Carter pick last year and think he has some potential. But given the Pats (great team), him being a 7th round pick is highly unlikely he's going to get a real shot. Fans get pissed when you get a 2nd rounder who sucks (Brace) and keep him over a guy who's a 7th round pick. I think last year was clear that the rosters need to expand. We saw back up/practice players all over the league last year due to injury. I dunno. I just really want to see these guys get a shot before they're cut.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In Response to Re: 37+ cuts in the next four months!:
    [QUOTE]I really wish the NFL would expand the roster. maybe 60 max. Some of these guys never get the chance to prove themselves. I really liked the Markell Carter pick last year and think he has some potential. But given the Pats (great team), him being a 7th round pick is highly unlikely he's going to get a real shot. Fans get pissed when you get a 2nd rounder who sucks (Brace) and keep him over a guy who's a 7th round pick. I think last year was clear that the rosters need to expand. We saw back up/practice players all over the league last year due to injury. I dunno. I just really want to see these guys get a shot before they're cut.
    Posted by Caliberink[/QUOTE]
    The practice squad was the NFL answer to some of that as you end up having 61 players in practice and ready within your system, and it gives those players a chance to catch on with another team because you don't really control their rights. I doubt they go to 60 unless they ramp up to 18 games as that would be a sop to the NFL Players Union. What I could see is a roster exemption for a third string QB as teams really need to 'control' that player but it is an absolute wasted spot on 90% of the teams.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah competition this year is going to be intense. This should be a good camp. I might have to take a couple days off this summer to watch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts