4000 yards to nowhere....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

4000 yards to nowhere....

here are some interesting facts about the fate of teams with a 4000 yard passing quarterback. first, a list of the top 11 passing yards per season records, and their teams result...

dan marino 1984, 5084, lost superbowl.
    drew brees 2008, 5069, missed playoffs
    kurt warner 2001, 4830, lost superbowl
    tom brady 2007, 4806, lost superbowl
    dan fouts 1981, 4802, lost conf champ
    dan marino 1986, 4746, missed playoffs
    d. cullpepper 2004, 4717, lost div round
    dan fouts 1980, 4715, lost conf champ
    warren moon 1991, 4690, lost div round
    warren moon 1990, 4689, lost wild card
    rich gannon 2002, 4689, lost superbowl

striking.  in fact, the only teams to win the superbowl with a 4000+ passing qb in nfl history are the 06 colts, and the 99 rams.

what does it all mean......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: 4000 yards to nowhere....

I'll take a guess at what it means:

1. Defense wins championships.  I think the NFL channel had a special on football myths and that was one of them though.
    2. You need a balanced offense to win the big game.  Your opponent is too good to be one dimensional.

I am not hoping for a repeat of our 2007 offense.  I hope we move to a more balanced attack.  We may not break any records that way, but we will be more apt to win what we really want; the Lombardi.  That said, with the weapons we have this year, the temptation to light up the scoreboard will be great.  It sure makes for great viewing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

No QB that lead the league in passing yards for that year won the SB...not even Brady when the Pats lost to the Giants. Not Kurt Warner when he lost to us.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It means the same thing all statistics mean.

Nuthin'.

Everything any team does all season is rendered moot in the playoffs, when the competition is elite and especially in the Super Bowl (40 % of that list), when your opponent has the luxury of an extra week to study your tendencies and dismantle your usual scheme.

And beyond all that (and where is underdogg when you need him?), offensive juggernaut numbers are meaningless if your defense can't stop anybody.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

word, prairie dog, word.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: 4000 yards to nowhere....:
    [QUOTE]I'll take a guess at what it means: 1. Defense wins championships.  I think the NFL channel had a special on football myths and that was one of them though. 2. You need a balanced offense to win the big game.  Your opponent is too good to be one dimensional. I am not hoping for a repeat of our 2007 offense.  I hope we move to a more balanced attack.  We may not break any records that way, but we will be more apt to win what we really want; the Lombardi.  That said, with the weapons we have this year, the temptation to light up the scoreboard will be great.  It sure makes for great viewing.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

i agree completely caraway.  it seems there are a few schools of thought on the subject; those who feel a team should try to score as many points as possible zipping the ball up and down the field at will no matter the score, and those who feel a team should elevate maintaing balance by being able to arun the ball effectively, especially later in games.  the latter philosophy it seems to me, builds character and backbone on the offensive side of the ball, takes pressure off the defense by eating up time, and diminishes the chances of getting your qb injured.

i sincerely hope that the coaches, now that brady's back, don't fall into the trap of abusing his passing abilities, protect his health, develope that toughness that comes with being able to run the ball effectively so that come playoff time, we don't get jacked up by an elite front seven like we did 2 years ago.