4th and 5 on Sunday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

4th and 5 on Sunday

I imagine part of it was not wanting to give the ball back to Peyton and figuring if they didn't convert they wouldn't lose that much net yardage (obviously that didn't work out), but Reiss offers another possible explanation:

"Some took issue with Bill Belichick's decision to go for it on fourth-and-5 with 8:17 remaining in the game, the ball on the Broncos' 37, and the Patriots leading 31-14. CBS analyst Phil Simms was among those questioning the move. It's a good debate. I think Belichick went for it, in part, because of the left foot injury that previously knocked Tracy White out of the game and how that affected the punt team. White is the left wing on the punt team, and on the previous punt, the Broncos were close to a block as White's replacement, Nate Ebner, was penalized for holding. Ebner's struggles in punt protection are there for everyone to see on film (blocked punt in Week 2 vs. Cardinals) and my sense is that Belichick was thinking, "Why chance it?" Hard to argue with that line of thinking given the position on the field and the yardage needed, even though the results in going for it were disastrous."

Interesting analysis. Full link here (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731800/closing-the-book-on-pats-broncos)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: 4th and 5 on Sunday

It was an arrogant call

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I don't know why we didn't run it on 3rd and 4th down. Why pass it? At least eat up some clock.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I imagine part of it was not wanting to give the ball back to Peyton and figuring if they didn't convert they wouldn't lose that much net yardage (obviously that didn't work out), but Reiss offers another possible explanation:

"Some took issue with Bill Belichick's decision to go for it on fourth-and-5 with 8:17 remaining in the game, the ball on the Broncos' 37, and the Patriots leading 31-14. CBS analyst Phil Simms was among those questioning the move. It's a good debate. I think Belichick went for it, in part, because of the left foot injury that previously knocked Tracy White out of the game and how that affected the punt team. White is the left wing on the punt team, and on the previous punt, the Broncos were close to a block as White's replacement, Nate Ebner, was penalized for holding. Ebner's struggles in punt protection are there for everyone to see on film (blocked punt in Week 2 vs. Cardinals) and my sense is that Belichick was thinking, "Why chance it?" Hard to argue with that line of thinking given the position on the field and the yardage needed, even though the results in going for it were disastrous."

Interesting analysis. Full link here (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731800/closing-the-book-on-pats-broncos)

[/QUOTE]

I think position on the field and the net yards they would have picked up from a punt were the biggest factors. He probably figured at worse with an incomplete pass as compared to a punt in the end zone he was only giving up 17 yards in field position.

[/QUOTE]

That was under a best case scenario. Unfortunately we got the second worst case...sack and a fumble which moved them into Pats territory. The only things worse would have been if Brady got hurt or a Bronco picked up the ball and ran it in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BB himself characterized at not one of his high points as a coach.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So we probably won't see him try it again unless we're losing late in a game. I'd like to see McDaniels do the same for his reverses and trick plays that lose more yards than they gain. He stayed away from that crap Sunday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I undertand the 17 yards only net gain, but that is WORSE case scenario getting a  touchback. We have one of the better punters in the league, if you have confidence in your kicker there is a good chance it wouldve more likely been around the 10 yard line which essentially backs them up 27 yards. A good result for punting. ALso it was 4th and 5 not an ez conversion to make, the defense knows you cant run in that spot and can force you to throw a pick, sack or fumble. The safe and smart play is the punt there. BB admitted  as much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know why we didn't run it on 3rd and 4th down. Why pass it? At least eat up some clock.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If BB knew he wouldve gone for it at that field position, kill some clock with a run play first.

Felt that way about 4th and 2 as well

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't like the call, either. However, if Reiss' hypothesis is on point (that is, with Tracy White injured, Belichick truly was worried about the possibility of a blocked punt), then I would expect nothing less than for BB to say it was a poor call on his part. The last thing he would ever do is broadcast to the league that he has a glaring weakness on his punt unit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I believe when he said that he was talking about the play calling of the O when they failed to score 7 on that long drive before the half, not the 4th and 5.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I have no problem with coach's decision.

How long would a FG try have been, 54? BB shows little faith in Gostkowski anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

One other option was for Brady to pooch punt it. He's had a couple beautys in his career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Terrible call. Punt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is the correct answer i would say. Much like the Colts game he didn't seem to let his offensive coordinator or his QB know that they were going for it. Unlike that Colts game, they did not waste their time outs though. A small victory i guess.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

This was NOT like the Colts game.  The Pats were on the opposition's 35-40 yard line on Sunday, not their own 28 or whatever that Colts game was.

We've seen time and time and time again over the last twelve years...if they're in that no-man's-land type of area, the Pats are going to go for it more times than not.  Parcells teams were known for that too.  If it's a tough field goal attempt, then going for it is par for the course.

The pooch punt was brought up and while not a bad idea...Denver was blitzing quite often that day.  The last thing you need is Brady getting runover.  Ebner has sucked on the end there during punt protection this year...so I think all in all, it was the correct call.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

It was either that or punt. No way was Gostkowski making that fg. I don't trust him over 40 and never trust him under pressure. It wasn't a bad call, just poor execution.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I am not complaining about going for it. I agree with an earlier poster that if you know it's 4 down territory run it on 3rd down (you can spread them out and run it if you want to disguise it). My comparison with this decision and the Colts game has nothing to do with field position but the fact that it seemed that it was a seat of the pants decision both times (at least to me). Especially in the Colts game where they wasted their final time out in confusion which meant they could not challenge the spot. i agree with the previous poster that I do not think a field goal was feasible there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

One other option was for Brady to pooch punt it. He's had a couple beautys in his career.

I thought the very same thing as Brady has done that before. Bit of Advantage Pats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, that would have been a good idea there.  But at the time I thought this might be a good time to go for it and then when they didn't get it I was like Oh noooooooooooo!  BAD CALL!!  LOL!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Classic case of "If it works it is shows confidence and takes guts and if it fails it is stupid".

I don't really care for the injury argument, next man up.  In that situation with that lead I don't mind the call to go for it, if you pick it up it is basically game over but at the same time you need to be able to trust your punt team to pin them inside the 15, regardless of who is hurt.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I believe when he said that he was talking about the play calling of the O when they failed to score 7 on that long drive before the half, not the 4th and 5.

[/QUOTE]

If so, then my mistake.  I was under the distinct impression he was referring to the 4th and 5.