4th Quarter Lead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

4th Quarter Lead

The Pats better have a big enough 4th Quater lead. I would hate to see them lose, in the first round. Baltimore is a joke, the Pats should win by 2 touchdowns. But will that lead be big enough in the 4th when the Pats seem to crumble. We'll see. I'm off to Vegas to Bet it. Go Pats

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: 4th Quarter Lead

It dont matter how big the lead is in the 4th if the Pats dont play 4qtrs they will lose bottom line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

It's very simple. We take OC O'Brien wrap him up in athletic tape and stuff him in a locker at halftime and come out and RUN THE BALL!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

How predictive is this phenomenon of blowing a fourth quarter lead?  Has anyone brought up the concept in, say, the last 30 years of the NFL, other than applying it this year to the Pats?

If it's a matter of the Pats' defense wearing down, wouldn't BB start substituting early and often to keep the first team fresh?  BB does try to adjust to perceived problems, you know.  He has this reputation as our local chess player.

Has the defense jelled over the past four games or so? (not counting that strange Houston game with various guest stars playing a few downs for the Pats)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Paul, Belichick may believe that the drop off in talent is such that substituting early and often does more hurt the team than help. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Regarding the 4th qtr blown leads...(4 of their 6 losses).  I'm certainly baffled. 

What I find odd, is that we don't borrow a page of what is being done to us.

The blueprint was drawn up by the Giants and Spagnuolo in the Super Bowl, utilizing that A Gap blitz.  Seems whenever, the game is in the balance teams go to that and pressure Brady up the middle.  Baffles me considering our center and guards are among the best in football or so we are led to believe.  Hence, I've seen more three and outs with the game in the balance recently making Brady look more like Bledsoe.  

On the flipside, I guess I wouldn't call it a prevent defense, but certainly we blew significant leads to Indy, Miami and Houston.  To the point that those teams literally played perfect football given the time remaining in each game to come back and win.  The odds in each of those games were heavy on the side of the Pats yet we still lost.  I'm amazed that we can't sustain a more effective rush in thoe situations, knowing full well teams have to pass.

Anyone care to venture a reason??? Perhaps our personnel is the problem.  Burgess has looked better the last few weeks, but otherwise...I don't know. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ozfree79. Show ozfree79's posts

Yea the pass rush is non existant. Drives me crazy. But I like watching Meriweather smash people :)

Another cool player to watch on kickoffs was Ventrone. That guy could HIT! Do we still have him? Something tells me we don't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Where's the poster that ranks teams through the first three-quarters?  Does that ranking apply to the playooffs too?

Baltimore gave us a great game during the regular season.  Losing Wes is the equalizer making this a good game. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

The Steelers have lost several 4th Qrt leads this year also.   Fortunately we can get this corrected

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Are  the Blown leads, more a cause of the Offense not scoring or the Defense wearing Down?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: 4th Quarter Lead:
    Baltimore gave us a great game during the regular season.  Losing Wes is the equalizer making this a good game.  MarcW1, yeah, we don't have WW this time but we didn't have Edelman and Taylor for the first game. Are  the Blown leads, more a cause of the Offense not scoring or the Defense wearing Down? patriots44,   It's both. If the O could just run games out on the ground we wouldn't be giving the ball back. If we do give it back we have no pass rush and the corners set ten deep so they lose the bump at the line and route disruption. Now is this bad coaching or bad execution?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Sam, Coaching or execution????? That's what I keep asking myself..I'm starting to lean towards execution and Talent. These guys seem to completely fall apart in the 4th quarter. How can we stop the run for 3 quarters on defense but in the 4th quarter we give up 5+ per rush like it's nothing. Are they just tired in the 4th quarter? This seems to be a recurring theme and either we're tired or we're choking. If we are tired then I will blame the coaching.It's also possible we need more talent so that someone can step up and make the big plays that we used to make. My hope is that with the return of Wilfork and Warren this week we will have that leadership and that with a full stable of running backs we will actually be able to control the ball on offense late in the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from arxaquila3. Show arxaquila3's posts

Like just about everyone else on this board, I'm baffled by the 4th qtr collapse.  It shouldn't be happening and no one can seem to put a finger on it.  Therefore, it is intentional on the part of BB.  He is not letting TB call the plays.  You can see from Tom's expression that he is completely frustrated. Moss goes into sleepwalking mode. And the rest of the OL or DL seems lost.  Why? Because it isn't in the game plan to introduce new plays or to change from plain vanilla plays. Better players are kept off the field. Rotations interrupt the rythym of the game and keep players from concentrating.  That has its most dire impact on the secondary so opposing teams seem to capitalize on the uncertainty. 

I don't believe that NFL level players can be that bad unless they are being forced to follow a game plan that isn't intended to win but to provide more learning experience.  Look, New Orleans took guys off the street who hadn't played in a year and they looked like pro bowlers against the Pats.  That's just unnatural.

The only other explanation is one that Steve Young mentioned on Sports Central a couple of weeks ago.  Namely, that BB wasn't letting his players simply play - he was overthinking the game plan and hamstringing his players as a result.  Could be.  Let's hope not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

What was it like week 13. Brady was saying that the O was still trying to figure out what or who they were? About the time of lategate or somewhere there about I think. Now with Wes gone their back to the drawing board.

Then there is the D. No pass rush kills us. Even when they send three linemen and both OLB's. We still don't know if there will be a QB hurry. Remember what Tom did in 07 with the time like that? Is it that BB can't find players to learn/play his system? Is he unwilling to change the system to fit what they can do? It looks like he's searching with the sub packages. So I'm not sure. When was the last time Mayo or Guyton shot a gap the way Jr did against Jax? Third and long has been a give me for far to long. BB has to be happy with Pees calls or I think he would be gone. With all the young blood and players that were going to be lost on that side of the ball. To have Capers here and just let him walk. That would have been the time to pull the trigger on Pees if he wanted something different. The good part is they will go through the pains together. We just have to hope it pans out. Is this BB gambleing or is he thinking that sticking with Pees is the safe bet? What's the timeline before you pull the plug?