5 dead kids in 5 weeks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

5 dead kids in 5 weeks

http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20130918/SPORTS02/309180017/After-5-dead-high-schoolers-5-weeks-columnist-says-kids-shouldn-t-play-football

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: 5 dead kids in 5 weeks

Playing sports is dangerous.

Caveat emptor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

At the moment my boys ( 10 & 11 ) are more into playing soccer than football so hopefully the day will never come when they prefer to put on shoulder pads over shin guards .

I don't say this lightly either ( when I was their age I was already Qb'ing my youth league team ) .

I think when our kids are born most football lovin' parents can't help but look ahead to the days when we might gaze upon their athletic achievements with pride  -  our own mostly unfulfilled sports dreams being miraculously rekindled ...and if we're really lucky maybe even basking in the glow of athletic excellence ( vicariously of course ).

For me it boils down to the same thing that most things in this world do :

Risk vs. Reward

I LOVE FOOTBALL ...

I love having healthy children even more .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Its a difficult question to consider.  As one of a number of boys in my family who grew up playing football, I can only remember receiving one concussion (never treated) and that was playing Rugby after college. 

The one thing that I thought about with regard to this column, my playing days, and watching kids play today, by the time kids reach high school, they are at many different stages of physical maturation.  There are kids that are true beasts playing against kids who are still very small. 

By the time kids get to college most of those small players have been weeded out and that occurs even further in the NFL.  While the violence and velocity of the hits continues to increase at higher levels, there's less of an idea that one person may simply be able to run over or through another player. 

I love football.  I worry about these kids. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

How many people die skiing? also... 2 out of the 5 died from non football causes.

stupid thread...  Next question.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

disturbing yes but I do actually wonder, is this out of the ordinary for teenage deaths? I mean 5 deaths in 5 weeks sounds alarming but what's the context compared the to mean? It doesn't mean there isn't a problem and it should try to be fixed but in the end are the deaths (not the lifes lost) just blips as a whole for the average year? As even the reporter said, how many kids died of roller board incidents (btw what is a roller board? Isn't it a skateboard?)? There is no enough digging into this piece to say one way or the other how to put these names into context.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The risks are known.  The parents (and children) sign waiver forms for liability issues. Meh...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

The risks are known.  The parents (and children) sign waiver forms for liability issues. Meh...

Yeah, and I'm sure those people dying in factories back in the '30s and '40s signed waivers as well. Doesn't mean safety is adequate, or that what is happening is acceptable. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:

At the moment my boys ( 10 & 11 ) are more into playing soccer than football so hopefully the day will never come when they prefer to put on shoulder pads over shin guards .

I don't say this lightly either ( when I was their age I was already Qb'ing my youth league team ) .

I think when our kids are born most football lovin' parents can't help but look ahead to the days when we might gaze upon their athletic achievements with pride  -  our own mostly unfulfilled sports dreams being miraculously rekindled ...and if we're really lucky maybe even basking in the glow of athletic excellence ( vicariously of course ).

Risk vs. Reward

I LOVE FOOTBALL ...

Awesome...+++

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:

Risk vs. Reward

I LOVE FOOTBALL ...

My thoughts exactly.  Plenty of other sports for my boys to play: soccer, baseball, basketball and lax.  Not like any of them are going to the NFL anyways.  Play sports for fun as a kid and watch NFL football when you're an adult.  

I don't have any problem with pro boxing or MMA either for adults but I don't want any of my kids participating in those sports either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I coach youth soccer and I have friends who coach other sports.  I personally witnessed a young man (8 or 9) blow out his knee this spring season playing goalie.  This past year, a friend of mine who coaches baseball had a boy take a line drive off the face.  He was in the hospital for a while and thankfully suffered no long term effects.  Not for nothing, but all sports are inherently dangerous.  Maybe not as dangerous as football, but then again I don't have any statistics to compare one versus the other.  You ever see how many kids in the X games break their necks or the like?  Lots of 'em.   

The only solution is for us all to stay indoors on our a rses and never ever play sports again.  Let our kids suffer from hypertension or diabetes.    

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I coach youth soccer and I have friends who coach other sports.  I personally witnessed a young man (8 or 9) blow out his knee this spring season playing goalie.  This past year, a friend of mine who coaches baseball had a boy take a line drive off the face.  He was in the hospital for a while and thankfully suffered no long term effects.  Not for nothing, but all sports are inherently dangerous.  Maybe not as dangerous as football, but then again I don't have any statistics to compare one versus the other.  You ever see how many kids in the X games break their necks or the like?  Lots of 'em.   

The only solution is for us all to stay indoors on our a rses and never ever play sports again.  Let our kids suffer from hypertension or diabetes.    

Agreed - life is dangerous! Wrap em in bubble wrap?

16. This post has been removed.