5 Reasons Why Signing Brett Farve Makes No Sense....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

5 Reasons Why Signing Brett Farve Makes No Sense....

1.  Last season with the Jets - We saw what he did with the Jets last season, by the end of the season he was one of the worst QBs in the league and if you take away his 6 TDs against the Cardinals his stats were very bad for the whole season.  Now he's a year older, and year rustier, and expect him to carry you to a championship. 

2.  The Message It Sends To The Team - Sorry all you guys that worked hard in the offseason programs and training camp, the heart and soul of the team, the QB, doesn't have to do it, in fact we'll let him learn the playbook two weeks before the season, he's a Hall Of Famer.   This isn't Roger Clemens signing with the Astros and not having to travel with the team, the QB should lead by example like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do, Brett Farve hasn't lead by example in years. 

3.  Brett Farve doesn't play the type of football Vikings need him to play.  With Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor and that O-line that Vikings want to run the ball 40+ times a game.  They need a QB who will be happy throwing the ball 14 times for 180 yards and no picks if that's what they need from him.  Farve likes to throw the ball 30 times a game for 4 TDs and 3 Picks, which will probably be brought back for a TD.  Farve will lose more games then he'll win for the Vikings this season

4.  Farve is a distraction.  This season will all be about Brett Farve vs. the Packers not about the Vikings winning with a great running game and solid defense, as a result, the locker room will get tired of all the Brett Farve questions, just ask the Jet Players from last year. 

5.  Even if it works, Brett Farve is a short term fix.  Even if Farve leads them to the NFC championship game, throws 29 TDs, 14 interceptions, Farve will either retire or even worse do the retire unretire thing next year.  So you'll be stuck with trying to find a QB as well. 

In Conclusion, the Vikings should have offered a 1st and next years 2nd rounder for Matt Cassel

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: 5 Reasons Why Signing Brett Farve Makes No Sense....

1. He didn't just start playing badly for no reason - he was injured. So this really doesn't count. 

2. True, but it also depends on the make up of the team, too. Some can say they deserve the same treatment; others will not worry about it. You need more that don't worry about it. 

3. Favre knows that he is going to a team with a strong running game. He may be selfish and somewhat stupid, but I guess this season will show us exactly how much so.

4. About the only thing the Pack and Favre did right so far was to minimize the distraction by having Favre pretend to stay resigned for three weeks. I would like to see how the Vikings players respond. I don't really see their locker room as filled with players with the same temperament as the Jets but we will see.

5. I hate to say it, but Favre is still a better option than Jackson or Rosenfels. Sure, this is patchwork, but it could be the last patch to a team with a lot of strengths. I think they bypassed Cassel because they had their sights on Favre which could have been a mistake. But, the prologue for this season has been written so let's see how it plays out. If they get lucky, next season will bring them a decent QB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Root - I totally agree with you. 

One other thing - this is essentially the offense Favre made his impact with.  Players are already saying how surpised they are with the command he has of the offense.

Additionally, I think Favre will be excited to have Peterson so that he does not have throw as much.  I think many think that Favre does not know his arm limitations.  I think he does.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from diva886. Show diva886's posts

True; on the whole I think Favre will be an asset to the vikings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I think the chemistry situation has some validity, but I also think this thing was choreographed and that the team was well aware that Favre was coming all along. If things go badly early (which appears unlikely, given the Vikings make-up and pixie schedule) I could see disension being a problem -- believe it or not, there is strong support for T-Jack in certain corners of the Vikes' locker room. Chili has not shown himself to be a particularly decisive leader, and while this is a veteran team, it is also a team that is unused to the limelight, and with Favre, in the limelight is where this team is going to be. There are upsides and downsides to hiring a gunslinger to protect your town. Early reports are that the fan base is juiced and that the team is embracing Favre, but the two problems I see are:

1. Nothing short of a Super Bowl berth will be considered a success this year and . . .

2. No matter what happens, the Vikings are right back where they started next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: 5 Reasons Why Signing Brett Farve Makes No Sense....:
    [QUOTE]2. No matter what happens, the Vikings are right back where they started next year.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Remember at the end of 2006 a lot of people thought Coughlin would be losing hisjob but didn't. To me it seemed the Giants looked around and saw no one better out there so they decided to keep him through what I think was his then final year of his contract. Look how things turned out.

Now this year, there were not many QBs available that the Vikings liked. I am not sure how much they thought about Cassel, but the fact that they signed Rosenfels to create a QB competition against Jackson speaks volumes about the talent that was available. Face it, neither of those two is a franchise QB and I seriously doubt Minn (any team really) really wants to approach any season with them as 1 and 2. Next year though could finally bring the QB that works. So, they get a better QB option for a year and Favre at half-strength is better than Rosy or Jackson and they get to keep an eye out for talent that might be available next off-season.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

one reason it makes sense.......

he is better than what they had and is still a threat ..... defenses still respect him which will only make other guys alot better