6 Pro Bowlers!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Re: 6 Pro Bowlers!

Reading through all the smugness and saracasm, I'm wondering why you think there's all these Pats fan that think Meriweather is undeserving of a probowl bid. 

Also, you completely mischaracterized what I said about BM. I didn't say every safety was better. I just said he wasn't a probowl caliber player. I would say he's not as good as Chung and probably about the same as Sanders, and they're not going to the pro bowl. 

In Response to Re: 6 Pro Bowlers!:
    [QUOTE]Rockdog thank you for pointing out how much smarter than all of us you are, I've never risen above the rank of master barista myself but it gives me a warm feeling knowing there are some geniuses here amongst us.   It has always seemed to me that it's just as likely for a man to know something and not have gone to school, as it is for a man to have gone to school and know nothing at all.  But what do I know, I'm a dum dum... I wasn't oblivious to your posts, but then, I wasn't thinking of you or even TCAL specifically when I posted to all the Meriweather haters.  It would have been doubly difficult to personally "insult you" considering I made a general post with no names attached... but somehow you guys sensed the personal attack that I was preparing to spring on you so you preempted it.  Very cognizant of you both... Several undeserving people make it to the Pro Bowl every year, like practice squad players, CFL castoffs and Euro League players...  somehow Meriweather has made it two years in a row, on his reputation built in college apparently? Obviously all of the safeties on that list are far superior to Meriweather in every way, especially both safeties for Washington, players on Arizona, San Francisco, both safeties for St Louis, et al...  like I said, you're right Meriweather sux, this proves it beyond the shadow of a doubt. If anyone's feelings were hurt in the making of this thread I want to apologize whole heartedly.  I know all of the sensitive souls on this board were taken aback my my gruff tone and my constant use of curse words.  I'm going to organize a healing gathering so we can all hug, burn incense, chant and do some healing exercises... Somewhere John Wayne is rolling in his grave.  
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I would say that he is close to Chung, but has made many more bonehead plays this season than last, but he's far more athletic than Sanders who is average at best in coverage and is better served playing backup strong safety.  This doesn't take away from last season when Meriweather was obviously better and absolutely deserving of a Pro Bowl nod.  

I can't say I disagree with much you've said, but that's miles away from saying he "sux" and shouldn't be mentioned in balloting.  Moreover with decades gone by, with so many Patriot players getting snubbed, overlooked for inferior players who got voted in just because they were Colts or some other sexy pick or due to seniority or history, I would think there would be some support for OUR players?  So one of our players got voted in when quite possibly he didn't deserve it, it's about f-ing time.

Say what you want about his inconsistency, his taking chances in coverage, his Dade county slang, dreadlocks or whatever else it is the haters have to say about him, but BM leaves it all out on the field, he lays some devastating hits that obviously hurt him in the process.  

More often than not he provides blanket coverage and makes a lot of tackles. He is hands down our best free safety, Chung is our best Strong safety, with Sanders providing depth I'd say we have the best safety group in the NFL, you don't have to agree with this but if someone says "he sux" expect some response from me; suxy players don't play at free safety on teams with 2 losses and one of the best scoring defenses in the league.

Lastly I didn't hurl personal insults in anyones direction, I didn't say Rockdog is this or TCAL is that, if the best way for you two to avoid an actual debate is to paint me as the combative insult hurler by cherry picking general statements in my posts than more power to you, but anyone reading this thread from the beginning will see it for what it is, deflecting away what you can't possibly resolve by simply using sound logic.

Smugness is posting your SAT score and saying "see I'm smarter than you." Smugness is thinking that your line of work or study is that much more important than football or whatever endeavor a man pursues to make himself happy. I'm sure there are some carpenters out there who could join mensa if they really wanted to, does it make them dumb they didn't choose rocket science to better serve you?  

Lastly, I'll never point to a player in his mid 20's (who has already legitimately made a Pro Bowl) and make a blanket, absolutist statement like "he sux," we base all our hopes on the future because we know that man can change.  I can't read into the mind of Meriweather or Maroney, but then neither can you... I can only go with the one football philosophy that has carried me this decade; In Bill We Trust.  

Bill is smarter than both of you in regards to football, that I'm pretty sure of... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Geez Wozzy. Let's take the anger down. I threw out my GMAT score because you presumed the Meriweather haters (and I'm not one of them) are all dumb and know nothing. That's wrong. I'm sure there are many smart and successful people who post that may not share your opinions. By your tone it seemed very condescending and confrontational.

And in the end we basically agree on the player. Awesome.

[QUOTE]I would say that he is close to Chung, but has made many more bonehead plays this season than last, but he's far more athletic than Sanders who is average at best in coverage and is better served playing backup strong safety.  This doesn't take away from last season when Meriweather was obviously better and absolutely deserving of a Pro Bowl nod.   I can't say I disagree with much you've said, but that's miles away from saying he "sux" and shouldn't be mentioned in balloting.  Moreover with decades gone by, with so many Patriot players getting snubbed, overlooked for inferior players who got voted in just because they were Colts or some other sexy pick or due to seniority or history, I would think there would be some support for OUR players?  So one of our players got voted in when quite possibly he didn't deserve it, it's about f-ing time. Say what you want about his inconsistency, his taking chances in coverage, his Dade county slang, dreadlocks or whatever else it is the haters have to say about him, but BM leaves it all out on the field, he lays some devastating hits that obviously hurt him in the process.   More often than not he provides blanket coverage and makes a lot of tackles. He is hands down our best free safety, Chung is our best Strong safety, with Sanders providing depth I'd say we have the best safety group in the NFL, you don't have to agree with this but if someone says "he sux" expect some response from me; suxy players don't play at free safety on teams with 2 losses and one of the best scoring defenses in the league. Lastly I didn't hurl personal insults in anyones direction, I didn't say Rockdog is this or TCAL is that, if the best way for you two to avoid an actual debate is to paint me as the combative insult hurler by cherry picking general statements in my posts than more power to you, but anyone reading this thread from the beginning will see it for what it is, deflecting away what you can't possibly resolve by simply using sound logic. Smugness is posting your SAT score and saying "see I'm smarter than you." Smugness is thinking that your line of work or study is that much more important than football or whatever endeavor a man pursues to make himself happy. I'm sure there are some carpenters out there who could join mensa if they really wanted to, does it make them dumb they didn't choose rocket science to better serve you?   Lastly, I'll never point to a player in his mid 20's (who has already legitimately made a Pro Bowl) and make a blanket, absolutist statement like "he sux," we base all our hopes on the future because we know that man can change.  I can't read into the mind of Meriweather or Maroney, but then neither can you... I can only go with the one football philosophy that has carried me this decade; In Bill We Trust.   Bill is smarter than both of you in regards to football, that I'm pretty sure of... 
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

SO you ask for facts to support my opinion that Meriweather suxs.

"Maybe one day you'll stay on subject and explain how something or somebody obviously good can somehow simultaneously "sux""

I present the 2010 Safety Stats where Meriweather is the 55 ranked Safety in +WPA. 

"Obviously all of the safeties on that list are far superior to Meriweather in every way, especially both safeties for Washington, players on Arizona, San Francisco, both safeties for St Louis, et al...  like I said, you're right Meriweather sux, this proves it beyond the shadow of a doubt."

Then you come back with above drivel to try to minimize it since it doesn't fit your opinion.

How about you come up with some solid evidence that actually supports your Opinion that Meriweather is actually good (other then saying it). 

I would really like for you to turn me around here because I really want to like the guy.  Thank.  I'll check back later.  The line at the drive thru is getting really long.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I can tell you right now that he's just going to say the GM's and coaches dictated BM's probowl selection and they are to be trusted more than some silly metric from a website. The biggest proof that BM is good is that he made two probowls. That logic just hurts my head.

[QUOTE]SO you ask for facts to support my opinion that Meriweather suxs . "Maybe one day you'll stay on subject and explain how something or somebody obviously good can somehow simultaneously "sux"" I present the 2010 Safety Stats where Meriweather is the 55 ranked Safety in +WPA.  "Obviously all of the safeties on that list are far superior to Meriweather in every way, especially both safeties for Washington, players on Arizona, San Francisco, both safeties for St Louis, et al...  like I said, you're right Meriweather sux, this proves it beyond the shadow of a doubt." Then you come back with above drivel to try to minimize it since it doesn't fit your opinion. How about you come up with some solid evidence that actually supports your Opinion that Meriweather is actually good (other then saying it).  I would really like for you to turn me around here because I really want to like the guy.  Thank.  I'll check back later.  The line at the drive thru is getting really long.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He is good because the people who play against him say so.  

You can say he's overrated, but he can't possibly come close to suxing and make a Pro Bowl... sorry.  

I didn't personally like Bryan Cox or Randy Moss either until they were Patriots, and even then I conceded the "well at least they're our idiot and not our opponents" mantra.  But I'm not asking Meri to raise your children or be a role model, I'm asking him to play free safety.  

When I look around the AFC I see Ed Reed, Troy hairdo from Pitt, Griffin from the Titans is good, Chung and Meriweather at safety.  I can't buy into the whole "I'm giving the NFL too much credit" jive, it's a billion dollar industry and I'm pretty sure the top people are compensated well.  

Not many professional scouts disagree with what I'm saying, its easy to say he's having a down year but the numbers are skewed.  Two seasons ago he didn't have consistent tackling machines like Chung and McCourty in the backfield, of course his tackles will drop with fewer opportunities.  He is still on pace to equal his career INT production, should he be penalized because the talent around him has risen rapidly?  I think not, neither do the voters...