#99 MICHAEL BUCHANAN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Akiraloco. Show Akiraloco's posts

#99 MICHAEL BUCHANAN

Is it just me or this guy is the real deal? i mean he was all other the QBs all night...great pressure and motor....he's definitively a keeper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: #99 MICHAEL BUCHANAN

Even before tonight. The guy physically looks the part and is producing in his opportunity.

"Defense Wins Championships"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Even before tonight. The guy physically looks the part and is producing in his opportunity.

"Defense Wins Championships"

If he add some weight he could be a very nice opposite to Chandler Jones

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Looked really good tonight, hopefully he can push Nink for some of his reps by midseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

My player of the game also. Although let's not forget he's also playing the Giants practice roster.  Coming into this season I'm sure the Pats will be successful  but the plays Buchanan did tonight, on defense , is what they need when it really counts to push them over hump. They've lacked this effect for a long time now.  Hope he becomes that impact pass rusher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought he has looked like one of the best defenders  (if not the best) in all these preseason games...not sure how much to read into that, but he certainly has some skills.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

Looked really good tonight, hopefully he can push Nink for some of his reps by midseason.

Probably not, Nink is a complete player. Maybe he'll push Chandler for some of his....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Buchanan is 6'6"and 250 pounds, Jones is 6'5"and 260 pounds if Buchanan add like 15 pounds he could be a 10 sacks guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus climbed up NCAA statistical charts in 2011, eventually leading the nation with 16 sacks and ending up a first-round pick for the Houston Texans in April. But while watching Mercilus, scouts couldn’t help but notice Buchanan, the “other” athletic defensive end making life difficult for opposing offenses.

Big Ten coaches named the lanky Illinois native second-team all-conference in his break-out 2011 season (64 tackles, 13.5 for loss, 7.5 sacks), and he finished the year with four tackles and a sack against UCLA in the team’s Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl win. It was the second consecutive year Buchanan played well in a bowl victory, as he assisted on three tackles for loss (one a sack) against Baylor in the 2010 Texas Bowl. He started eight games and totaled 40 tackles, 4.5 for loss and two sacks that season, one year after playing a limited role in 10 games as a true freshman.

After his fantastic junior campaign (where he often looked better than Mercilus), Buchanan was projected as a player who could work himself into the top half of the first round with some refinement, added bulk, and a good senior season. Over the summer Buchanan was involved in an altercation that left him with a broken jaw that was wired shut for a week. The all-liquid diet he was on caused him to lose around twenty pounds before the season started –- unfortunate because gaining weight and strength was a high priority for him. The result led to a disappointing year in which he looked lethargic and struggled to disengage from offensive tackles. His statistical production dropped (57 tackles, seven for loss, 4.5 sacks), but he still received honorable mention All-Conference honors. While Buchanan didn’t look like the same player that terrorized the Big Ten in 2011, he still showed flashes of being an excellent pass rusher, and a strong postseason could see his stock rebounding.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Dude is a stud... I left tonight very impressed with him grabbing the opportunity

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

Probably not, Nink is a complete player. Maybe he'll push Chandler for some of his....

If he's making plays and hitting the QB it doesn't matter who he is spelling. If I had to choose though I'd rather have Jones on the field than Nink.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus climbed up NCAA statistical charts in 2011, eventually leading the nation with 16 sacks and ending up a first-round pick for the Houston Texans in April. But while watching Mercilus, scouts couldn’t help but notice Buchanan, the “other” athletic defensive end making life difficult for opposing offenses.

Big Ten coaches named the lanky Illinois native second-team all-conference in his break-out 2011 season (64 tackles, 13.5 for loss, 7.5 sacks), and he finished the year with four tackles and a sack against UCLA in the team’s Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl win. It was the second consecutive year Buchanan played well in a bowl victory, as he assisted on three tackles for loss (one a sack) against Baylor in the 2010 Texas Bowl. He started eight games and totaled 40 tackles, 4.5 for loss and two sacks that season, one year after playing a limited role in 10 games as a true freshman.

After his fantastic junior campaign (where he often looked better than Mercilus), Buchanan was projected as a player who could work himself into the top half of the first round with some refinement, added bulk, and a good senior season. Over the summer Buchanan was involved in an altercation that left him with a broken jaw that was wired shut for a week. The all-liquid diet he was on caused him to lose around twenty pounds before the season started –- unfortunate because gaining weight and strength was a high priority for him. The result led to a disappointing year in which he looked lethargic and struggled to disengage from offensive tackles. His statistical production dropped (57 tackles, seven for loss, 4.5 sacks), but he still received honorable mention All-Conference honors. While Buchanan didn’t look like the same player that terrorized the Big Ten in 2011, he still showed flashes of being an excellent pass rusher, and a strong postseason could see his stock rebounding.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter PatschampsSB, BB has missed on 2nd round draft picks and that's all that counts in team building. We need a new GM....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

When it rains itpours 

we couldn't find fast WRs with hands for how long? now we got 4 rookies

we couldn't find Rbs , now with Wynn we have  6

and if Buchanan is real another pass rusher

cut down will be interesting and so will waiver wire

if Simms is cut , he will be netherif Wynn is cut he may be a giant

I was glad tebows last pass a TD

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

[QUOTE]

Unfortunately it doesn't matter PatschampsSB, BB has missed on 2nd round draft picks and that's all that counts in team building. We need a new GM....

[/QUOTE]

the good news here is that the draft have seven rounds, and UDFA, maybe BB just should trade his 2nd round picks?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Certainly played well tonight as most all of you had previously pointed out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Not bad for a 7th rder. That's Edelman, Dennard and now Buchanan. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Add these names in with the UDFAs they have developed and it's iimpressive.

I do agree ith this. The pats have done very well with late and udfa picks. Thompkins is another that comes to mind as does fletcher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Beast

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Not to rain on BB's resume (but Rusty is gonna come in guns blazing) but Dennard and Buchanan were both higher rated prospects that had fallen for either legal issues or in Buchanan's case, a fight that lead him to lose a lot of weight. Then his performance dropped. They were already good prospects. I'm glad we got them in the 7th but i'd be more impressed if BB drafted 2 guys that people haven't really heard of and have them produce like these 2 guys.

APpats21, I'm gonna take this one for Rusty, and say respectfully, that your statement is totally unfair.  Guys fall for all kinds of reasons, Gronk because of his back, Mallet because he had an attidute and smoke weed, , dennard because of an fight and assault, the bottom line is BB drafts risks vs reward, he was smart enought to determine that a 7th rd pick was worth taking a risk on Dennard, and it work out huge!  Gronk in the 2nd  worked out even better, edelman at 7th round was huge when welker was out.  BB isn't perfect he struck out with Dowling.  I agree that pulling a no name in the 7th and having him go all pro is more impressive but I think it's a little unfair to say that it's not impressive to do what BB did with some of these 7th rd pics.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to quinzpatsfan's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not to rain on BB's resume (but Rusty is gonna come in guns blazing) but Dennard and Buchanan were both higher rated prospects that had fallen for either legal issues or in Buchanan's case, a fight that lead him to lose a lot of weight. Then his performance dropped. They were already good prospects. I'm glad we got them in the 7th but i'd be more impressed if BB drafted 2 guys that people haven't really heard of and have them produce like these 2 guys.

APpats21, I'm gonna take this one for Rusty, and say respectfully, that your statement is totally unfair.  Guys fall for all kinds of reasons, Gronk because of his back, Mallet because he had an attidute and smoke weed, , dennard because of an fight and assault, the bottom line is BB drafts risks vs reward, he was smart enought to determine that a 7th rd pick was worth taking a risk on Dennard, and it work out huge!  Gronk in the 2nd  worked out even better, edelman at 7th round was huge when welker was out.  BB isn't perfect he struck out with Dowling.  I agree that pulling a no name in the 7th and having him go all pro is more impressive but I think it's a little unfair to say that it's not impressive to do what BB did with some of these 7th rd pics.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's unimpressive but it's also a thing of logic. You got 2 guys that are 2nd round talents there in the 7th round, why wouldn't you take them? Isn't the point of the 7th to take risks? I think BB is a great GM but I feel like its overblown when people say he's a genius for drafting those 2. It's kind of common sense don't you think?

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't common sense for 31 other GM's. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The kid played some good, some bad, he made some tackles but also got blown off the ball other times.  He needs to put on some weight, but the pass rush and quickness is there.  He is still behind Jones, Ninck, Francis and maybe others.  I see a lot of Jason Taylor in the kid if he progresses... a lot of Chris Slade if he doesn't.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's unimpressive but it's also a thing of logic. You got 2 guys that are 2nd round talents there in the 7th round, why wouldn't you take them? Isn't the point of the 7th to take risks? I think BB is a great GM but I feel like its overblown when people say he's a genius for drafting those 2. It's kind of common sense don't you think?

[/QUOTE]

I get what you are syaing but think it through. NO ONE TOOK THEM IN SOUND 2. OR 3. OR 4. OR... NO ONE.. BB took them.. BB. Not some nameless guy that half the fantasy football fans that are on here put up as a better drafter. No. BB drafted them. But lets not count his successes along with failures because everyone knew these guys would be good. That was why they were all drafted multiple times by each team in the league.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The kid played some good, some bad, he made some tackles but also got blown off the ball other times.  He needs to put on some weight, but the pass rush and quickness is there.  He is still behind Jones, Ninck, Francis and maybe others.  I see a lot of Jason Taylor in the kid if he progresses... a lot of Chris Slade if he doesn't.

Yup. Sanity.

I do espect he will get playing time in a rotation which will help to keep others healthy and fresh. That is important for both Nink and Jones. Maybe Nink even more.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Gronk:  Injured

Mallett:  Still hasn't done anything

Dennard:  Facing jail after getting arrested again

Why didn't you list Aaron Hernandez?

Edelman has been over 50 yards receiving three times in the past three years.  He should change his last name to "Everyman" because every receiver on the team could replicate what he does.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Against 1st and some 2nd string O he was washed out but showed some really good flashes of ability. I think he has a lot of development potential. I don't see him contributing much his first year and maybe not a lot in his 2nd year but this is the type of player you give the 53rd spot too. Very high potential that shows great flashes just needs to bring consistency against higher talent levels to the table

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, 31 other teams passed on these guys at least 6 times each. Got to give bb credit here for taking the risk...no other GM did with many chances to do so. 

I must admit, bb has landed some late round and udfa gems. So much so that some of these guys will be pushing for starting time over 1st and 2nd round picks...or should be. 

Case in point buchannon. I think he looked more impressive than jones out there. It seems he is a more natural rusher, and can do other things well. Same with fletcher. If fletcher didn't get hurt last year he was coming on and may have taken significant reps from spikes. Both of these guys are late or udfa picks. Look at thompkins over Dobson and Boyce. It's really just amazing some of the late round and undrafted talent on this team.