A little something on Michael Matthews TE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

A little something on Michael Matthews TE

I went back and watched the preseason game against the Giants. What I saw of 
    Matthews was he had a good hand punch when blocking. He would get his hands in the offensive lineman's chest and really drive the guy backward. Look for him to help the run attack on sweep plays. Blocking looks to be his strength. I hope the Pats pound the rock! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: A little something on Michael Matthews TE

Well I hope our tight end isn't blocking his own offensive linemen this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to A little something on Michael Matthews TE:
    [QUOTE] I hope the Pats pound the rock! 
    Posted by RonF[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. I want to see BALANCE this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hingen. Show hingen's posts

Wow... a TE blocking the offensive liman ...

This guy is .. Nut!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He's definitely here to run block and we need better balance than in 2007 to go the distance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

They haven't had a young, in-line mauler since Graham.  I like the pick up from that perspective.

Look forward to see if/how it improves the running game/pass protection.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cebubaby. Show cebubaby's posts

Would the Pats have beaten the Giants in Super Bowl 42 with Daniel Graham?  What about if they had Corey Dillon?  My opinion is that the Pat's offense in 2007 was unbelievable early in the season, but as we all know, circus offenses often fade down the stretch.  It has always been my contention that if the Pats had a mauling tight end that was also a receiving threat (i.e., NOT Kyle Brady) and a power back, maybe they could have softened up the Giants' defense and then taken some shots down field.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Hingen- Good thing we have a typo king on this board. You certainly know what I meant. No need to call people nuts. When I reviewed the preseason game Matthews was a Giant playing against the Pats. I was just attempting to point out what Bill Belichick probably saw when watched film of Matthews. The guy is a good blocker. having taught some Oline over the years I thought this would be interesting to dicuss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

In Response to Re: A little something on Michael Matthews TE:
    [QUOTE]Would the Pats have beaten the Giants in Super Bowl 42 with Daniel Graham?  What about if they had Corey Dillon?  My opinion is that the Pat's offense in 2007 was unbelievable early in the season, but as we all know, circus offenses often fade down the stretch.  It has always been my contention that if the Pats had a mauling tight end that was also a receiving threat (i.e., NOT Kyle Brady) and a power back, maybe they could have softened up the Giants' defense and then taken some shots down field.
    Posted by cebubaby[/QUOTE]

Pats needed a blocking tight end the last half of the 2007 season and that is when Kyle Brady showed his age and was hurting. Teams like the Eagles took advantage of that and if the Giants defense had not stopped their aggressive play in the 2nd half of the last game of the season the Pats would have been 15-1 and then mayb egame planned better and won the SB over the Giants!

They luckily did not need a blocking TE last year as Cassell needed the help of his receivers. Oh wait - Watson and Thomas were hurt last year too...

At any rate with the youth now on the OL it will be good for Brady to have a big body blocking for him. As if memory serves me well it was a missed RB block that got him injured last year anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

I agree with your assesment Ron and I also wouldnt be too surprised to see Matthews jump in there at fullback in short yardage situations.  Big boys make big holes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Matthews and Volmer..2 guys l'd like to see a whole lot this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

w/ the outside edge performers in pittsburgh ie woodley and harrison, BB has the tightends now w/ both baker and matthhews to slow those two down

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chriso825. Show chriso825's posts

In Response to Re: A little something on Michael Matthews TE:
    [QUOTE]In Response to A little something on Michael Matthews TE : Couldn't agree more. I want to see BALANCE this year.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

Do your homework. The Pats were nearly 50/50 run/pass last season. You saw balance last year and you'll see it again this year. You'll see some run heavy weeks and some weeks they'll air it out, but it'll still balance out by the end of the year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Kaczur and Light better keep an eye on this guy ;^)