A look ahead to 2010.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A look ahead to 2010.

I know I know, the 2009 season hasn't even started yet, I got it. 

However, why not take a minute to discuss what they have on the horizon, BB and crew clearly play for the now while planning for the future, so why not post about it.

2008-2009 draft picks coming off IR/Reserve NFI list

Shawn Crable-(6-5 243) OLB- Will need to get on the field and prove what he can do, I don't believe he'll get a third year on IR, so it will be get healthy or get released.  IMO, they clearly see something in him as they've been patient his first two years.  He has the ideal height for a NE 3-4 OLB and was able to make plays behind the line of scrimmage while at Michigan with 39 tackles for loss his last two years (28.5 in 2007).  The question was, did he have the girth to set the edge.

Tyrone McKenzie- (6-2 243) ILB/OLB- BB and Co. were extremely high on him leading up to his season ending knee injury during mini camp.  There was talk that his intelligence, experience, versatilty and productivity in college might translate to a quick acclimation to the pro's, possible a first year starter like Mayo.  I don't want to get too high on him until he gets a chance to play, but there is reason to be excited.

Brandon Tate- (6-0 183) WR/KR- He's on the reserver non-injury football list and will be eligible to play after week 6, so he may not make a real impact (outside of possible kick or punt returns) until 2010.  He's extremely fast and athletic and could be the third receiver of the future while also provide said special teams/return value.  Stay tuned.....

As for 2010 draft picks, they currently have one 1st round pick and three 2nd round picks, so they stand to get some good value in what ever player/positions they target. 

The 2009 draft picks currently on the active roster/practice squad will also have a full year in the system, so that should provide some value as well.  BB often says that a player makes his biggest strides between season 1 and 2, so we'll see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Re: A look ahead to 2010.

im most excited to see what brandon tate can bring to the table.  im a new englander transplanted in charlotte,nc so i saw plenty of him in his college games and i always wanted him to be a patriot. my question is... how do we make room for him after week six? we've got 53 guys on the active roster, so where do we make room for him? or will he just sit this year out?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: A look ahead to 2010.:
    [QUOTE]im most excited to see what brandon tate can bring to the table.  im a new englander transplanted in charlotte,nc so i saw plenty of him in his college games and i always wanted him to be a patriot. my question is... how do we make room for him after week six? we've got 53 guys on the active roster, so where do we make room for him? or will he just sit this year out?
    Posted by FOWLER8196[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I look forward to seeing what he can do with the ball in his hands.  The roster picture should be clearer by week six, if they think he'll upgrade the roster, they'll activate him, if not, maybe move him to IR.  They have a good track record of letting the best players play regardless.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Hopefully 7 major contributors and 3-4 starters arriving in 2010. Then 3 more in 2011.

Any free agency ideas?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: A look ahead to 2010.:
    [QUOTE]Hopefully 7 major contributors and 3-4 starters arriving in 2010. Then 3 more in 2011. Any free agency ideas?
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I like the speed and injection of youth and athleticism.  I just hope most play up to their draft position.

As for free agents, I think LB and maybe TE could be a position they target, the below players will be UFA's following 2009 and could resign with their current team or be resigned.  They'll also need to resign Wilfork, Mankins Gostkowski and make decisions on their other FA's (Faulk, Galloway, Watson, Neal, Bodden, Burgess, Green, Guyton, Banta-Cain, Alexander and Woods etc.) 

LB- Matt Roth- Miami
    LB- Aaron Kampman- Green Bay
    LB- D'Qwell Jackson- Cleveland
    LB- DJ Williams- Denver
    LB- Kirk Morrison- Oakland
    LB- Barrett Ruud- Tampa
    LB- Mike Vrabel- KC (I'd love to bring him back for veteran depth, would he be open to return?  We'll see)
    LB- Rocky McIntosh- Wash
    LB- Angelo Crowell- Tampa
    LB- Demeco Ryans- Houston

TE- Dallas Clark- Indy

The really big fish could be Demarcus Ware and Julius Peppers, but both would most likely be franchised and could make over $20M with that tag or get a long term extension.

You also have to wonder how a potential move to base 4-3 will come into play with future personnel moves.  Do they get players that can play both a 4-3 and 3-4?