A Method to BB's Madness?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: A Method to BB's Madness?

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Perhaps. It's obvious that the Pats preferred the potential of the 27 year old Danny Armendola, over the proven production of the 32 year old Wes Welker. This is a huge gamble, to be sure...magnified even more that Welker will join perhaps the Pats' greatest AFC rival, the Denver Horsefaces: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/pats-pay-amendola-a-lot-more-than-they-offered-welker/

Folks...losing Wes in the manner that the Pats did is somewhat of a shock. But, the Pats success or failure in this off-season will be determined by whether the Patriots can fix their defense...and transform it into the intimidating, turnover creating unit, that it was during the championship years. 

With this in mind, what must be done?:

1.) Sign SS Bernard Pollard: Pollard was released by the Ravens today...mainly because he lashed out at ownership for their decisions to trade WR Anquan Boldin for a song, and their perceived lackadaisical efforts in retaining Ed Reed, Dannell Ellerbe, and Paul Kruger. I know...Pats' fans hate Pollard. But, isn't he just what the team needs? An intimidator in the secondary, which the Pats haven't had since the days of Rodney Harrison? Pollard is only 28 years old, and was scheduled to earn only around $3mil, in 2013. If nothing else, his signing will prevent this "Patriot Killer" from committing more mayhem in a Miami Dolphin uniform:   http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/patriots-should-no-must-sign-bernard-pollard/

2.) Sign CB Aqib Talib: The Pats "D" was noticably better when Talib joined the team in mid-season. It can be argued that the real turning point in the playoff loss to the Ravens was when Talib pulled a hamstring, and had to leave the game. Thereafter, Anquan Boldin, who had to that point been completely shut out by Talib, went wild.

3.) Sign CB Sean Smith: Smith is a 25 year old, 6'3" CB...who has shut-down CB potential: http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/03/report_new_england_patriots_am.html

Guys...free agency is not the cure all. But, if the Pats were able to bag these three DBs, their secondary would be markedly improved.    

First two wouldn't bother me though Pollard could be upgraded with Reed or Adrian Wilson for less money.  

RESPONSE: Actually, Reed and/or Wilson would be more expensive. The reason I prefer Pollard is because he's an intimidator...something that the Pats sorely lack in their secondary.

Sean Smith isn't a great player and he's asking for "great" player money, he is pretty average but I could see BB falling in love with his size.

RESPONSE: No. He's not just an "average" player. The kid is good, but has been a bit inconsistent. He has great size (6'3") and potential. But, you are quite correct about him asking for too much money. That's why he's yet to be signed. The Pats could posssibly reel him in on a one year deal...as Denver did with Rodgers-Cromartie. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I have seen alot of Dolphins games and I got to tell you I dont understand the fascination with Sean Smith. The guy absoloutely $uck$ !! Think Kyle Arrington or Darius Butler.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'd bring Ulf Samuelson to the Bruins before signing Pollard.  And he's not as good as Samuelson was.  

Talib's availability issues are a constant concern, guess I'd bring him back but not for huge money.  I don't see any team ponying up much for him, too much risk. 

Smith is more durable than Talib, but he's not better than Talib or Dennard. I'd look hard at Nnamdi way before him.