A more hopeful reaction to brutal loss.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

A more hopeful reaction to brutal loss.

I have been a Pats fan since the 1970's. I have been reading this forum for years but I never post because I am a terrible typist and I am not as funny as most of you are. I think most of us are seriously over reacting to this loss. First of all the Saints are a great looking team and they beat us up every way imaginable. Let's not make excuses about missed penalties or Brady's ugly first half interception killing momentum. It did kill the momentum but even if we could have held on to keep a small halftime lead we (the patriots), still played awful in the second half once again. 
        This season is far from over and if the pats can regroup this weekend to beat the phins we will have a three game lead over them with four to go. The Chargers play the Bengals in a couple of weeks so we still have a very good shot for the 3 seed which means we could avoid the Colts in the second round. I have no doubt that we would most likely win at home in the first round against a Houston,Jax, Baltimore or even Denver (Steelers scare me though). We would then travel to either San Diego or Cincinnati in round 2. The Bengals have a good defense but they are not world beaters. They lost to the Raiders for goodness sakes. Now about the Chargers. I live in San Diego and I see all their games. They are a very good team but they have major weaknesses. They have a worse running game than us, they struggle stopping the run and Merriman's hurt again. I wouldn't consider us favorites but these are not the 2006 Chargers and our offense is better than it was then. 
         Do I think we can beat the Colts in Indy in the playoffs. Quite frankly no, but don't forget they have lost their first playoff game at home in three of the last four years and I definately think the Steelers can beat them there if Rothlesburger and Polamalu are healthy. Brady and Belichek against the Steelers in Foxboro for the Superbowl. I'd feel confident going into that. Could we beat the Saints or Vikings on a neutral field in the Super Bowl? Probably not, but a Super Bowl loss is still a lot more fun than a first round playoff loss. The butt whipping against the Bears in 1986 was a lot better than not making the playoffs like last year. I apologize for the lenghth of this post bu If you can remember Marc Wilson and Rod Rust in 1990 you would never complain about Brady or Belichek again.

PS- Even great teams have stinkers. I remember Walsh and Montana and a 2 loss 49ers team getting embarrassed at home in the playoffs against a 7 loss Vikings wildcard team. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: A more hopeful reaction to brutal loss.

I know my original post was long but I meant to add this also. Last year when the playoffs started the one team that I was absolutely convinced would not go to the Super Bowl was the Arizona Cardinals. After watching Cassell and the Pats abuse them for 60 minutes I was sure they were a one and done representative of the sorriest division in the NFL (NFC West). Not only did they make the Super Bowl I felt they should have won it. A boneheaded interception at the end of the first half and their inability to tackle Rothlesberger in the last 2 minutes doomed them. It's not always who's the best, but who's the hottest. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprfrk81. Show sprfrk81's posts

pats jst dont hav players. depend on 81 n 83 way 2 much. same deal on D Bsdes 75 , we need real help, 51 has a long way 2 go

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayWooo763. Show DayWooo763's posts

I couldn't agree more! Guys, you have to calm down. I'm looking at other threads and it sounds like you guys are wanting to become fans of another team! You're refering to this as a rebuilding team and calling for the heads of key players on defense and blaming "dumb coaching staffs". You all just need to cool it. If this is truely a rebuilding team, then it's sure the best one I've ever seen, and Wilhite ain't that bad. Do you remember when we had two no-name scrubs starting for us a few years back named Asante Samuel and Randall Gay? Well people were calling for their heads too because trust me, they were just as bad, if not worse. They had the luxury of experienced veteren safties over the top helping them out and a great corner in Ty Law to learn from. Wilhite has neither of those. No one is there to mentor him, we don't have a true veteren safety who knows what they're doing at all times, and our front seven is not as dominant as it once was. I think tonight, the youth movement in the secondary got exposed and I, for one, think it was a little overdue. The defense is young, the offense is getting younger and we'll be beter again with time. Meanwhile, I think this team will be able to ride the right arm of Tom Brady deep into the playoffs as he is capable of making all of us ignore the glaring problems that this team has.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Good reminder DayWooo763. I was frustrated during the game like everyone else and there were moments when I was hoping for the Saints to run it up on the Patriots and make the players feel as miserable as I was. As some time passes I tend to look at the positives and this team still has a lot of them; Brady, Welker, Moss, Faulk, Wilfork, Mayo (a bad game tonight) Vollmer, Light, Mankins and some young secondary players who can only get better (at least I hope so). I would put our top 5 on offense against anyone's on any given sunday. Do I think we will win the superbowl this year? No, but to quit on this team seems rather silly given their track record. In 2006 a better Chargers team dominated the Patriots for 55 minutes, the Pats looked old, tired and like the future was SD and the Pats were a proud but declining franchise. Five minutes later the Patriots won and Charger players were whining about our postgame celebration. No matter how hopeless it is at times remember our Quarterback's name is Brady not Eason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprfrk81. Show sprfrk81's posts

if we need 2calm down than u need 2 wake up the pats havnt beat a good team in 2yrs. we beat the cards, thats it,  thats the list, this team needs help everywhere depend 81 n 83 waaayyy 2 much, n jw hasnt playd well since hr got been here for 2 shown no consistencey at all. right now he is that bad. need help at the corner, n pleze pleze we need a pass rush bad, real bad

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprfrk81. Show sprfrk81's posts

im not quitn on anyone but this team is in real need of plaers, n to say its not a rebuilding year, is jst stupid ,im srry patchwork secondary, need help at ld 51 has a long way 2 go, no pass rush at all, trade bid sey, wut do u call it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

sprfrk81, I certainly was not trying to accuse you of quitting on the team and I apologize if it came out that way. I accept that they are rebuilding the Defense this year and all of them need to play better to prove that they should even be considered part of the future. Merriweather and Mayo looked awful tonight but they have played well in previous games, at least well enough to think that they have legitamite futures in the league. At the beginning of the season I thought the defense would be awful but I have been pleasently surprised this season during several games (Atlanta, Miami's wildcat, Baltimore and the first half of the Colt's game). We still have a 2 game lead in our division and our offense (if it can get it's act together in the 2nd half) can beat any AFC team at home. All the AFC powers have weaknesses, some worse than ours. We have beaten good teams over the past two years (Dolphins, Favre Jets, Cardinals, the 3-0 Ravens who have yet to recover from that loss and the Falcons). I do agree that we have not beaten any great teams over the past 2 years but the Saints also knocked an undefeated Giants into a tailspin that they have yet to recover from. I just believe that this Patriots team has the mental toughness to recover from this bad loss. Win the super bowl? As I said earlier probably not but I think they can do damage in the playoffs with some help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprfrk81. Show sprfrk81's posts

ive luvd 81 since marshell i luv seen em throw his way, jst thinks its unfair to put it in on 81 n 83, depend on em way 2 much, need sum dogs on D 2. lot of peeps hav been doggin em  radio, on here

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayWooo763. Show DayWooo763's posts

I agree that we haven't beat a good team in two years, but Tom Brady was out all of last year and this team got A LOT younger this past offseason. This is not a rebuilding team, it is a team in transition. Rebuilding teams don't field Hall of Fame quarterbacks who throw to Hall of Fame receivers who are coached by Hall of Fame coaches who all receive checks signed by premier owners...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedcoat. Show TheRedcoat's posts

There is another reason to be optimistic:

We have played the two Superbowl favourites during the Season (and at their houses, so no-one, in all realsim, would have expected a Pats win there anyway!).

BB will now have a chance to get a system in place for each team and adapt accordingly. The Saints will not be able to attack us as they did last night and the Colts we should have beaten anyway.

I only hope we see the Saints in the Superbowl and not the Vikings. The Brett Favre hype will put the advantage firmly in the Vikings court.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I know this might sound crazy, considering how bad we got torched last night.. but.. The problem was not the secondary (with the exception of 2 plays).  It was the pass-rush!! Look how long Brees had to hold the ball and wait for his wr's to get free - Had we gotten pressure and forced him to get rid of the ball or take sacks that game would have been a LOT different. 

Wilhite got beat on a long TD down the middle, but the throw was pretty much perfect - Look at the coverage that Wilhite had on him and it was actually better than it seemed.  I just thought it was insane that the safeties weren't staying back.

But if the Pats can go out in the off-season and make good upgrades at the OLB and DE spots, to get some quality guys that can rush the passer every down then this team will be MUCH better defensively.  It's a young defense that's still learning, so I just hope it's better next year.  I'm not giving up on this year by any means, but I just have to keep remembering that we don't have Bruschi, Seymour, Vrabel, Harrison, Law, McGinnest, etc. anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I do want to add this though. If the Pats lose to the pathetic Dolphins (no receivers, no quarterback and no Ronnie Brown) I will probably be the next one jumping off the bandwagon. Just kidding because as long as I can remember the Victor Kiam days I know I am living a blessed football fan's life.