A tale of the fourth; Patriots offense vs. defense, who's to blame?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: A tale of the fourth; Patriots offense vs. defense, who's to blame?

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The D and the O are sucking wind in the 4th quarter. They are mailing it in in the 4th.

The super bowl teams demolished other teams in the 4th quarter.

No one seems to agree with me but I've been saying that for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

My stats only go back to 2003 but...

2003 the O averaged 8.3 pts in the 4th, 2004, 5.1 pts, 2005, 5.0.  much worse except 2003

which is on par with this years O.

Defense  gave up, 2003 2.6, 2004 3.1, 2005 3.1  Far, Far, far cry from the 8.7 of present

So, in the SB years the O didn't score as much and the D gave up much less.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The D and the O are sucking wind in the 4th quarter. They are mailing it in in the 4th.

The super bowl teams demolished other teams in the 4th quarter.

No one seems to agree with me but I've been saying that for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I recall three games in particular in which the defense folded rather notably in the 4th qtr in the SB years, actually in each of the SBs themselves.  Up 17-3 vs the Rams only to see them tie it with 1 minute plus to go.  Up 21-10 vs Carolina in the 4th, another lost lead (largest 4th qtr deficit overcome in SB history).  Up 10 on Philly only to see it become a nailbiter when they allowed a vomiting Donovan McNabb to throw a long TD pass in the last 2 minutes.  Not all demolitions, this team has a history of allowing opponents back in the game rather than stepping on their neck. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I guess my point was they were known as a 2nd half team. They wanted it more, they were in better shape and they pounded the other team right through the very last second. I can remember the announcers saying those same things at the time. 

I'm betting in the 4th quarters back then they were running ball control and clock control. Now they become 2nd half pass happy if they haven't established a running game.

Do you have time of possession per quarter as a stat to compare?

I guess the other thing to consider is that the league parity has become very tight and Tom Brady is right fans here have been spoiled.

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

[QUOTE]My stats only go back to 2003 but...

2003 the O averaged 8.3 pts in the 4th, 2004, 5.1 pts, 2005, 5.0.  much worse except 2003

which is on par with this years O.

Defense  gave up, 2003 2.6, 2004 3.1, 2005 3.1  Far, Far, far cry from the 8.7 of present

So, in the SB years the O didn't score as much and the D gave up much less.[/QUOTE]

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

muzzy i gotta ask again who is the cop in ur avatar?

[/QUOTE]

I replied earlier, it's not a cop, it's this guy:

http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5249