A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

Re: A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance.

Is the OP serious?  If Hernandez catches that easy TD and we tighten up the kickoff coverage this could have easily been a 37-14 beatdown.  The yardage and TOP differential, the Jets 3 and outs and the fact that Sanchez had like 70 yards passing late in the 3rd quarter speaks for itself.  This isn't 2007.  The league has adjusted and we're not going to blow everyone out by 30 points every week.  The kind of methodical clock killing drive we had in the 4th quarter is exactly the kind of thing the SB teams did to win close games.  Obviously we have a long way to go, but I don't understand how a rational fan can be that down on the performance.

That being said here are 3 things that I didn't like:

1) I thought our coverage was a little soft on Jets final TD drive (not sure if this was by design or not)

2) I didn't like the playcalling on the drive that began at the Jets 20.  If we scored a TD there we could have put the game away and I thought we were a little pass happy considering how exhausted the Jets defense was at that point.

3) I thought Tom took some sacks that were unnecessary.  I know the protection is outstanding, but given how important he is to the team's success I cringe every time he takes a sack because he held the ball for like 7 seconds.  I don't think he threw the ball away once the entire game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

Easy now.  Seems we've got some spoiled fans needing to shake off the fantasy and face reality.  Yes, we'd all love it if every game could be like that beat-down we gave to Chicago last season.  Total domination.  But that isn't going to happen.  Yes, we have a very good team, but damn, there are some other good teams out there that will have good games and again.  And we'll falter now and again as well. 
    Couple that with the NFL push for parity.  Look at this week's scoreboard.  Of the 24 offenses that have played so far, only 4 have failed to put 20 points or more on the board.  We held the Jets to 21.  And all those 3 and outs -- that alone is cause for feeling good about the future of our team.  Just win baby, just win.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance.:
    [QUOTE]I get it the Patriots won, beat a division rival but the Patriots left too many points out on the field today.  At times it looked like Rex had out coached BB yet again, not having answers for all the different coverages the Jets were lining up in.  BJGE had a nice day, Welker had some good plays too. Gronk, Hernandez, Branch and Ocho all contributed but I think they should have been able to do much more on offense then they did. The D played the run well, didn't get the amount of pressure on Sancheeze that I thought they would and let Holmes get open too much.  If it wasn't for Plax dropping so many balls the D would have really gave up a lot of key pass plays. The Jets O coordinator Brian Schottenheimer should be fired.  A lot of predictable play calling once again by him.  I know the Jets wanted to run more and ground and pound but they tried too hard and ran the ball too much. Looking forward to the Cowboys and then a much needed bye week.
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

I'm very happy with this win and hope the Patriots expand on what we saw yesterday. Balanced offense against a decent Jets Defense and good defense against a floundering offense. This defense was finally able to get off the field on 3rd down. That's good. I'm more than happy with that win. For the first time in a while we can harken back to the days of Clock killin' Corey Dillon. That's the first time we've won a game like that since Corey left town. Good stuff and an offensive philosophy that needs to cultivated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance.:
    [QUOTE]Was Gronk sick? I was getting frustrated all game because when he is catching passes the offense really seems to click. Overall, it was a game where injuries seemed to hurt, but the team played a full 60 minutes. I like that. I have seen way too many fourth quarter drives stall lately. The offense finally put the dagger through the heart of a team by draining the clock on that last drive. The defense had its ups and downs, however this was the first week they allowed less than 300 passing yards. Instead they allowed less than 200 and most of those were garbage time yards. It was a complete team effort by the Pats against a team that knows them very well.
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

they havent had gronk in the passing game the past few games because he is one of our best blockers and we need him to block. if bb kept one of the te's or if crumpler was recovered or not done, gronk would not have to be blocking so much and could catch more passes.

i posted the article last night, his playing at all was gametime call from bb.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance. : BB was never out coached in this game.  You said it yourself about recievers not catching the ball.  The plays called worked.  Schottenheimer gave Rex what he wanted.  Rex talked about it after last weeks loss.  They were going to run. Special teams killed the Pats giving the Jets great field position almost every time.  It was nothing special either.  Up the gut.  The Jets must have saw something on film. Perfection seems to be a mounting problem for this board.  The Pats must bang on all cylinders all the time.  The Pats win and it's not enough.  If you go to the Jets board and read some comments it mirrors our board after a win.  They want their OC fired too!  The Jets defense comes into question.   
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

" d seems to be improving in small spurts something to build on "

i agree with jcour, posted same elsewhere on board.

perfection is hardly a description of the pats yesterday, but they all played hard for 60. against an elite team like detroit, gb, no,etc this d would still get smoked right now. we are improving though anad moving in the right direction. the jets are and have been struggling offensively, and if you watched the game in the first half, shot themselvers in the foot offensively several times (so there was a lot of ineptness). i wouldnt be crowing about how great we played on d. we are improving and im happy for that. i  posted a short review elsewhere and noted late in the evening that ty law and troy brown said virtually the same thing - we all concluded the performance on d was not something that would stand up against an elite team at this point. still work to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance. : I agree. But the second half proves O'Brien has learned. No panic. Stick to the run against a good D. That's the difference. Bill O'Brien didn't come out of half panicking or being dumb. I think we need Fletcher in there making calls. He's better against the run than Guyton. Big test next week against the Cowboys WRs, so we'll see how we look then.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

"I think we need Fletcher in there making calls. He's better against the run than Guyton."

been thinking the same thing since mayo went down.

agred with most of your comments ive read today and been piping the same analysis for a while.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

I get the feeling that Ryan get's into the Pat's head a little bit.  Now, that can work both ways, it seems like Brady really wants to pound this team and yet, it also seems like he has Belichick's number a little bit too.  Just a thought...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I'm happy for the win but while the Jets were pretty mediocre, they were still within 6 points late in the game. Our final ground attack was a thing of beauty and clearly put the game away, but that wasn't a game that anybody should be thumping their chests about. I'm not sure we would have won this game against a good QB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Getting a win in today's NFL isn't easy. I celebrate every one of them. I was very thrilled with their performance yesterday. It was far from perfect but they did what they couldn't do last January 16, beat the hated Jets.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

I am THRILLED; we win a huge game in a convincing manner and you complain????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance

In Response to Re: A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A win is a win but I'm not too thrilled with the Pats Performance : I disagree, I think a lot of it is Schotty's fault.  The play calling was horrible on the jets side.  They ran like 3 fake reverses, why not try a real one on one of them?  Not just that but yes, way to many short pass plays called.  Marty was horrible and Brian takes after his father.  They need to let Sancheeze sink or swim and let him mix in some deep balls during the game.  Schotty needs to cut him loose and see what he has.  This will answer a lot of questions about Sancheeze. Either he is going to be a pro QB or just out there to throw some quick slants and hand the ball off for the team. I know, Rex is the head coach and the buck stops with him., He either needs to get rid of Schotty or tell him to make some changes in his play calling.  I think Rex has confidence in Sancheeze but I think Schotty is just plain scared to air it out. He isn't a pro level OC, imo!
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]
    I disagree, I think most offensive coordinators can draw up plays, install a game plan, attack a defense's weak points and within the flow of a game make good calls. The problem a guy like Schottsy has, is the guy running his offense is incapable of doing it. You can't hide the fact that you have a quarterback that's inaccurate. He has to run these slants because it's the only thing the guy can hit consistently and it kills that team. Rex needs to change him and he won't because it's his guy - in doing so would admit a huge mistake in drafting him.