According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension.

AWESOME!!!!!!

Smart on both ends. He'll be 28 when this deal is up! Smart, smart kid at 22. Got paid, and got set up to get PAID. All while being a team player with this deal. Unbelievable really.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension.:
    [QUOTE]I am psyched!! 5 years $40 mil!!  I did find this information interesting: The $12.5 million signing bonus is the highest ever for a tight end, and $9.5 million will be paid in the next seven months. Hernandez's deal averages more the first four years than Gronkowski's contract , and has more in true guaranteed money. Gronkowski was guaranteed $12 million, and another $5 million if he was on the roster in 2015. I think this shows how much the Patriots value AH! And this excerp says alot about the man AH has become: Hernandez had it written into the contract that he will be making a $50,000 donation to the Myra Kraft Foundation to thank owner Robert Kraft for the faith he showed in him by drafting him, and to pay respect for renegotiating the contract with two years left on the deal. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/hernandez_locke.html
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a WR type of contract. If he becomes a #1/2 WR then it's good value considering what's coming up in 2014 with the cap expansion but wow that's a lot of money if they are keeping him in the TE spot.

To me this is a sign that he's replacing Welker after next year. Ballard and Fells are long term #2 TE's behind Gronk but Hern will become a WR. If not Gronk's has to be wondering why Hern, who imo is the weaker of the two at the TE spot, got a better overall deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension.:
    [QUOTE]Awesome!  Congrats to Hernandez and us Patriots fans!!
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Never cease to amaze me.....

Glad we locked him up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2013. Show Evil2013's posts

[QUOTE]We'll have the highest paid tightend and highest paid fullback in the league... good news if you're a fan of blocking and catching.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Brady is a fan of both.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2013. Show Evil2013's posts

Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

As long as it's not in a strip joint!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Yes! 

TFB that is what I am talking about, finally putting those shop skills to use this season!

The YAC MAN is here to stay and that is a great contract for him, very surprised that its more guaranteed money than Gronk! Maybe it will keep Gronk on his toes some more or they know Hern will be moving out to WR and once that happens he will be looking at what other WR's are making and demand even more. So it's very good they locked him up.

Glad he was smart enough to take good money to stay with a great QB and coach!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Thanks guys!

I just hope that Hernandez can hang onto the ball.  He doesn't have many recorded fumbles stat wise, but I swear he seems to put the ball on the ground and it makes me nervous.

Surprised they went after Hernandez this early.  Between locking AH81 up this early and the Patriots not being very aggressive in getting Welkers contract done, is this an even bigger indication that Welker won't be here next year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks guys! I just hope that Hernandez can hang onto the ball.  He doesn't have many recorded fumbles stat wise, but I swear he seems to put the ball on the ground and it makes me nervous. Surprised they went after Hernandez this early.  Between locking AH81 up this early and the Patriots not being very aggressive in getting Welkers contract done, is this an even bigger indication that Welker won't be here next year?
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]
    That is one thing that worries me about AH. It seems like he fumbles A LOT. I don't know what the stats show, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't worry about his ball security.

I don't think this necessarily means that Welker is gone next year. Maybe he will realize that he is older (33 at that point?) and just wants to finish his career in New England. We can hope, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension. :      This wouldn't have happened if the Pats had listened to the screaming idiots in the media, who were whining for the Pats to give Wes Welker a lucrative long term deal. Though I may complain on occasion about BB's drafting decisions, when it comes to managing the salary cap, the man has no peers. 
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension. :      This wouldn't have happened if the Pats had listened to the screaming idiots in the media, who were whining for the Pats to give Wes Welker a lucrative long term deal. Though I may complain on occasion about BB's drafting decisions, when it comes to managing the salary cap, the man has no peers. 
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Much smarter move than extending WW, imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]You can never say anything is certain when discussing the Pat's but this news may be the door slamming on Welker being in NE after this year.
    Posted by jri37[/QUOTE]
    Welker is being franchised for the 2012 season.  For the 2013 season, I wouldn't be surprised if Welker wasn't franchised for a second year, again with no guarantee of a long term contract for Welker. 

The Patriots' front office is like that -- they will underpay someone if the rules allow it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Now's the time to drag out all those reasons why Hernandez was a waste of a fourth round pick. 

The reasons start with Drugs!  Drugs!  Drugs!  Drugs!  Hernandez failed two pot tests in college.  The Pats signed a contract where Hernandez would get third round money for a fourth round pick, BUT if he messed up on drug tests, all the money reverted to the Pats.  That was a farsighted contract.

His old scouting report:

Strengths

Hernandez has impressive speed and athleticism for the tight end position. Was extremely productive in college, earning first team all-conference recognition. Has very natural ball skills, catches away from his body, can bring in off-target throws and can go up for the jump ball. Great route running ability. Is fluid and creates separation. Productive after the catch.

Weaknesses

Hernandez lacks the prototypical size we look for in tight ends at the next level. We question his natural strength. Blocking is a major area of concern and may limit him to the H-back role. Isn’t strong at the point of attack and won’t consistently move defenders.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension. : Much smarter move than extending WW, imo.
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]

Cap management......Bang for your buck

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension. : Welker is being franchised for the 2012 season.  For the 2013 season, I wouldn't be surprised if Welker wasn't franchised for a second year, again with no guarantee of a long term contract for Welker.  The Patriots' front office is like that -- they will underpay someone if the rules allow it.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    We really don't have anyone else worth using that tag on, BB doesn't care what Welker feels about the tag. Business is business, Welker should be doing nothing but focusing on his routes and getting open, with Lloyd, Gronk and Hern there won't be as many balls coming his way, especially in the red zone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension. : Wow, that's a WR type of contract. If he becomes a #1/2 WR then it's good value considering what's coming up in 2014 with the cap expansion but wow that's a lot of money if they are keeping him in the TE spot. To me this is a sign that he's replacing Welker after next year. Ballard and Fells are long term #2 TE's behind Gronk but Hern will become a WR. If not Gronk's has to be wondering why Hern, who imo is the weaker of the two at the TE spot, got a better overall deal. Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] It's competitive with other TE contracts like Heath Miller (35mil, 12.5 guaranteed) in 2009, Jason Witten 37mil, 20mil guaranteed) in 2011, Antonio Gates 40mil (20mil guaranteed) 2010. I'd say 40mil with 16 guaranteed is a pretty good deal, in 3 years he'll probably be the 15th highest paid TE. As a WR contract I don't think it would even crack the top 25. Didn't Holmes get 50 mil?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension. : That is one thing that worries me about AH. It seems like he fumbles A LOT. I don't know what the stats show, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't worry about his ball security. I don't think this necessarily means that Welker is gone next year. Maybe he will realize that he is older (33 at that point?) and just wants to finish his career in New England. We can hope, right?
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

Some times the comments really confuse the he11 out of me.......His stats show ONE, did we hear that ONE fumble in his two years as a pro, and more that one poster just expressed concern for his ball security. And that was in 132 touches...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2013. Show Evil2013's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension. : Welker is being franchised for the 2012 season.  For the 2013 season, I wouldn't be surprised if Welker wasn't franchised for a second year, again with no guarantee of a long term contract for Welker.  The Patriots' front office is like that -- they will underpay someone if the rules allow it.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Enough of the underpay whining.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

This is solid by pats org. Get to these guys early, way before their contracts are up! Wish they extended WELKER to but they have a plan. Yes sir!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension.": It's competitive with other TE contracts like Heath Miller (35mil, 12.5 guaranteed) in 2009, Jason Witten 37mil, 20mil guaranteed) in 2011, Antonio Gates 40mil (20mil guaranteed) 2010. I'd say 40mil with 16 guaranteed is a pretty good deal, in 3 years he'll probably be the 15th highest paid TE. As a WR contract I don't think it would even crack the top 25. Didn't Holmes get 50 mil?
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but per year this would be the biggest TE contract ever given out so that's not competitive that's blowing competitive out of the water.

As for WR, that's why I said it was closer to a WR type of contract and is actually a pretty good deal if they convert him to a WR full time. I'm not sure if it's top 25 but it's close which means that given 32 teams in the league they paid Hern like a low end #1 WR in the league. That's a huge contract unless he actually takes over Welkers role and because the #1/2 WR on the team next to Lloyd who we haven't even seen play yet (reg season with Brady)

Of course when the cap expands in 14' this deal is going to look even better so imo they paid top dollar in todays price to save on a ton of cash when they convert him to a WR and before the cap expansion in 14'

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I will say it again... they already owed WW for what he DID.  It bothers me they took his good faith and kind of spit on it.  He didn't have to come back that fast from the injury, he didn't have to continually play ridiculously lights out all the time.  Other teams would have picked him up in a HEARTBEAT.  He need to be offering him solid money.  Or we will be teaching a lesson to anyone going forward, DON'T OUTPLAY YOUR CONTRACT.  Seriously, I'm happy about Hern, though.  He and Gronk are two sides of the same coin, and will be playing for a while at this level, hopefully.  Smart move locking them both down fast.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Adam Schefter: Aaron Hernandez gets a contract extension. : I could be wrong but per year this would be the biggest TE contract ever given out so that's not competitive that's blowing competitive out of the water. As for WR, that's why I said it was closer to a WR type of contract and is actually a pretty good deal if they convert him to a WR full time. I'm not sure if it's top 25 but it's close which means that given 32 teams in the league they paid Hern like a low end #1 WR in the league. That's a huge contract unless he actually takes over Welkers role and because the #1/2 WR on the team next to Lloyd who we haven't even seen play yet (reg season with Brady) Of course when the cap expands in 14' this deal is going to look even better so imo they paid top dollar in todays price to save on a ton of cash when they convert him to a WR and before the cap expansion in 14' Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] It's not the highest ever per year. Gonzalez and Winslow have made more, maybe some others. Gronk also.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Nice to see the Pats strike before the contract is up and not have it turn personal.  If these two TEs stay healthy it will make Brady's job much easier for the foreseeable future.  Too bad they couldn't have done the same for Welker a few years ago, but it takes two sides to make it work.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]The pic is almost as awesome as the news! You've got mad skills.
     It seems that the Pats are getting even smarter, which has to be really frightening for the rest of the league since the were lightyears ahead already.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

BB taking care of business. The best GM of the FA era strikes again!