additional camp observations (but still early)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

additional camp observations (but still early)

I have had the chance to see 6 practices and see some things of interest. I will not be watching the Philly practices, which will be big factors in shaping the rosters;

-on the fence-Ballard, A Wilson, Bequette, Blount, Tebow, Bernard, Cunningham, Jenkins

-T Wilson has not taken that "next step" for a 2nd year player from what I can see

-Gregory looks like he should be starting at S with McCourty. I thought Gregory was on the fence, but he has looks good. Wilson and WIlson both have struggled in the passing game, excelled against the run. I wonder if Collins is showing he can play the spot that AWilson was slotted for?

-I think the PAts are going to be comfortable with 6 WR's including SLater

-I have Fells and Sudfeld on the team, with Fells surprising me. He has looked good. Hooman also on the team.

-I thought VEga would have shown more at gettng to the QB. SO far he has not. Bernard looks like he has a spot on the team

-Allen looks very good, but MEsko imo has earned his keep and wins the P job

-Talib has surprised me. He looks to be better than last year.

-the team needs Connolly ready for the season, there is a big dropoff after the first 7. Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Cannon, Vollmer, Connlly, Svitek if all healthey will be top 3 in the league.

-the DL depth is a concern. aside from Vince, the DL looks like it will generate pressure, but can be run on. Vereen and Washington have been looking great getting the edge, but I ownder if that is also on the defense as the ends are not geting it done? Jones, Nink, Francis, Bequette, Bernard, all have been pushed around by the OL. DL needs another big body or 2, and they may not be currently on the roster.

-still very impresed with Mallett. to say this is eventually a Rodgers situation is too high praise, but I hate to lose this guy to free agency next year. he has pro bowl potential with some experience and legit WR's

-Josh McD looks like a head coach on the field.

-I havent comented too much on the WR play...I have seen some of the oooh's and aaaah's catches. but I think the bottom line needs to be played out in preseason. will the WR's be able to get off the line, and will they be in the spot Brady expects them to be? athletically all 3 rookies at WR look better than Price or Tate, but not as good as Chad Jackson, so I am not ready to say all 3 rookies contribute, but they are making plays and appear to have the needed talent

-While the 3 WR's are making great plays, as is Collins, the Rutgers guys look like ST's so far, and I wonder if they will be anything more?

-Gronk looks like he is in great shape...and could step in today. I am leaning to he is not PUP'd but may miss a game or 3.Gronk, Fells, Sudfeld, Hooman looks about right to me, and Ford is on the PS. Ballard physically is not there yet imo. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: additional camp observations (but still early)

Good stuff, rkarp.  And a dose of reality too.  I'm hoping both Wilsons improve and one of them can beat out Gregory, but guys always seem a lot better on paper during the spring signing period than they do when the real snaps start happening in September.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Great stuff!

I wonder how A Wilson is going to look when these games start...is he going to be targeted in coverage? Most likely - the secondary looks better as a whole so maybe Belichick can hide him a little out there. On the other hand he may get cut.

Ballard hasn't looked good from everything I've read and I've got to think if his leg is not better by now it may never be better. Gronk does look in shape...how does a guy who had to basically do nothing but lay on his back for 6 weeeks look like that? Amazing. I agree Fells and Sudfeld make this team.

The receivers have some talent, but it's going to take some time for these guys to learn the offense and get open vs NFL secondarys.

And I agree that the defensive line looks a little thin at the big body position (tackles, etc). It's funny, but the one guy I kept noticing playing end was Bequette...because he at least looks the part of a 43 end...he just looked like he belonged there. He didn't really do anything and was running with the three's, but he didn't have that 6'2" look that a lot of our ends have right now...or that angular, tall, skinny appearance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Great stuff, thanks for posting.
    I'm surprised about A.Wilson, I would have thougt of him as a lock.

DL seems to be a bit of a concern, it would be great to hear (positive) news of Armstead. And WRs are of course a question mark. But otherwise I think things are shaping up nicely.

Can't we just skip August and go straight to September?

Supra societatem nemo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thanks for info. I little disapointing that you think A.Wilson is on the bubble as well as Ballard who may be counted on early. Other than that, Its in line with what I saw. Collins is def. a player but not sure they want him back at safety but I can see them moving him around and taking advantage of his speed and athleticism

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Adrian Wilson (health provided) is a lock.  

He is one of our most talented defenders and nobody else on the roster can do what he can do.  We don't have another true Strong Safety on the roster and haven't had a legit one since Rodney Harrison.  

This guy is a 5x Pro Bowler, 4x All Pro, is a member of an elite group (the 25/25 club) who have that many or more sacks and interceptions...

Saying Wilson is "on the fence" is ridiculous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I still think he is a first ballot HOF player, whether he makes it the first year will be determined by who is in his class.

He won't be pulled for any reason on third downs, he'll either play in the box as a linebacker or be sent all the way back to punish the receiver with the guts to go over the middle, he is good because he plays with his brain not because he is fast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I still think he is a first ballot HOF player, whether he makes it the first year will be determined by who is in his class.

He won't be pulled for any reason on third downs, he'll either play in the box as a linebacker or be sent all the way back to punish the receiver with the guts to go over the middle, he is good because he plays with his brain not because he is fast.

Exactly. I stated after the season that the highest priority in offseason shoud be SS and most told me SS doesnt even have a place in this passing league or that SS was # 4 behind pass rush, CB and WR. Well, I didnt make an annoying "I told you so" post, but lets be honest, if BB were to cut A.W. and go into another season with 2 CBs for safeties and 2 reaches as their backups, that would just about be it for me. Im sick of seeing potential SB teams handicapped by BB's retreads. He finally got a player comparable to Hot Rod, I DOUBT he lets him go. He signed a 3 year deal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Have any of you guys been to camp other than rkarp?  I'd be very surprised if A. Wilson doesn't make the team, but I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if he doesn't win a starting job next to McCourty.  He did lose his starting job in Arizona after all.  And I believe at some point he was sharing snaps with ex-Pat James Sanders.  Until I see him play, I don't know how I could say he is a lock for anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He was on the "outs" in Arizona because they were shedding salaries, they had a young guy they liked and thought they could get similar production for less.  The same reason Rodney Harrison was let go.  

I don't have to go to camp to realize that Adrian Wilson can still play football at a high level, that he has been the starting strong safety next to McCourty all throughout camp and the weight of history itself is all the reassurance I need.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Have any of you guys been to camp other than rkarp?  I'd be very surprised if A. Wilson doesn't make the team, but I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if he doesn't win a starting job next to McCourty.  He did lose his starting job in Arizona after all.  And I believe at some point he was sharing snaps with ex-Pat James Sanders.  Until I see him play, I don't know how I could say he is a lock for anything.

I was at camp and Adrian Wilson looked like he could eat Steve Gregory for a snack. BB has always coveted the hybrid LB/in the box safety. Im sure the goal is to not have your 6'3 235 pound safety covering receivers down field! But I sure do remember TE's have been killing us over the middle since Rodney retired.

Oh and the coach that limited Wislons playing time was fired a few weeks later. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I was at the season Ticket holder practice and none of the Safeties stood out one way or the other.

The one thing i was focusing on was A Wilson's speed and multiple times he stayed with the wideouts and TE's in drills. There was one instance where was boyce dragging over the middle in one drill and A Wilson was running step for step. It did not look out of place one way or the other.

I know it was purely anecdotal but i didn't notice him being slower than any other safeties during those drills.

The biggest standout for me was Talib and mallett. Though there are reports today Talib is struggling covering Desean Jackson in drills today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

I was at the season Ticket holder practice and none of the Safeties stood out one way or the other.

The one thing i was focusing on was A Wilson's speed and multiple times he stayed with the wideouts and TE's in drills. There was one instance where was boyce dragging over the middle in one drill and A Wilson was running step for step. It did not look out of place one way or the other.

I know it was purely anecdotal but i didn't notice him being slower than any other safeties during those drills.

The biggest standout for me was Talib and mallett. Though there are reports today Talib is struggling covering Desean Jackson in drills today.

[/QUOTE]

I was at the same practice and agree with you on the safeties(dmc was out) and that Wilson looked fluid enough to me. I posted about Talib being the 2nd best player on the field and I wouldn't worry about Talib having trouble with Jackson. That guy is probably the fastest receiver in the league.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

So what's up with Chandler Jones?  He was one of our highest draft picks and expected to be the pass rush savior that we desparately needed.  But Nobody is talking about him. Not a peep.  Is he not living up to expectations?  Is the pass rush not that important anymore?  Is he still injured?      I don't think it matters how good our CBs and S are if the QB has all day to pass...

I'm not local, but would sure like sometbody to focus in on Jones and report something about the guy.  I believe his productiveity is THE most important factor in the improvement and success of our D this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

TrueChamp and Ghostofjri--good to hear firsthand reports that differ from rkarp's.

Interesting about Talib.  Yesterday, I cautioned folks not to get overexcited about our corners' performance in camp because they are going up against inexperienced receivers.  This week will give us a better bead on where they really stand.  I do think, however, that Talib is a quality corner and Dennard at least okay based on their work last year, so I expect our corners to be okay.  I also like McCourty and feel we have enough decent competition at the other safety position to feel relatively more comfortable about our defensive backfield than I've felt in a few years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I was at the same practice and agree with you on the safeties(dmc was out) and that Wilson looked fluid enough to me. I posted about Talib being the 2nd best player on the field and I wouldn't worry about Talib having trouble with Jackson. That guy is probably the fastest receiver in the league.

They would either have Talib or Dennard jam Jackson and have safety help over the top in a real game or they would simply line McCourty up man on man with Jackson in a real game situation.  

All this hemming and hawing over so and so getting beat is nothing, camp is there for getting beat, to learn... they probably have Talib manned up on Desean to work on Talib's weakness in straight man coverage with speedy receivers.  This is what camp is for.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

what was your impression of Mallett? I thought he looked much better than he had the previous year but I guess we will find out if that is true in the pre-season games.

Also thought TT looked very mechanical seemed to hold the ball much longer than Brady and mallett.

My big hope for this year is for Kelly to pan out. If he does Vince could have a monster year... less double teams and fewer plays which translates into more effective.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

what was your impression of Mallett? I thought he looked much better than he had the previous year but I guess we will find out if that is true in the pre-season games.

Also thought TT looked very mechanical seemed to hold the ball much longer than Brady and mallett.

My big hope for this year is for Kelly to pan out. If he does Vince could have a monster year... less double teams and fewer plays which translates into more effective.

[/QUOTE]

I thought mallet looked confident in his throws but it is tough to watch Brady and then anybody else. Bradys throws we're damn near perfect every time IMO. The guy really is amazing to watch. I thought Kelly looked slimmed down a bit? The depth behind those guys is concerning to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have been behind Ras-I Dowling the past few years thinking he could turn into the next big thing if he could stay healthy.  Well yesterday I came to the conclusion that Dowling will never be healthy and I think this is the year he gets cut.  Boo Freaking Hoo!

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

So what's up with Chandler Jones?  He was one of our highest draft picks and expected to be the pass rush savior that we desparately needed.  But Nobody is talking about him. Not a peep.  Is he not living up to expectations?  Is the pass rush not that important anymore?  Is he still injured?      I don't think it matters how good our CBs and S are if the QB has all day to pass...

I'm not local, but would sure like sometbody to focus in on Jones and report something about the guy.  I believe his productiveity is THE most important factor in the improvement and success of our D this year.

I think he is progressing. No word of lingering injury but he plays a positon thats hard to gauge in training camp due to the QB's wearing red jerseys. They cant sack the qb. Someone on BDC makes a list of wins and losses on individual drills between DL and OL and thats about all u can get until preseason game this Friday. Im not worried about him honestly. I think he is legit, but im concerned with who is gonna help on the other side. Nink is a slow starter who did all his work in the 2nd half. He played basically every snap early on and didnt sniff the qb, but maybe he was learning to play DE again. Either way, he makes some timely plays but not consistent enough to draw attention. I believe J.Collins will help and take some snaps from both Nink and Spikes to get more speed on the field at times.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I have been behind Ras-I Dowling the past few years thinking he could turn into the next big thing if he could stay healthy.  Well yesterday I came to the conclusion that Dowling will never be healthy and I think this is the year he gets cut.  Boo Freaking Hoo!

And I've been right there with you.  I was disappointed when Ras-I didn't return to practice the next day.  You may very well be right about him.  Unfortunate though it may be, the guy may just not be able to cut it.  I'm still holding out hope but won't be surprised to see him cut.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I have had the chance to see 6 practices and see some things of interest. I will not be watching the Philly practices, which will be big factors in shaping the rosters;

-on the fence-Ballard, A Wilson, Bequette, Blount, Tebow, Bernard, Cunningham, Jenkins

-T Wilson has not taken that "next step" for a 2nd year player from what I can see

-Gregory looks like he should be starting at S with McCourty. I thought Gregory was on the fence, but he has looks good. Wilson and WIlson both have struggled in the passing game, excelled against the run. I wonder if Collins is showing he can play the spot that AWilson was slotted for?

-Gronk looks like he is in great shape...and could step in today. I am leaning to he is not PUP'd but may miss a game or 3.Gronk, Fells, Sudfeld, Hooman looks about right to me, and Ford is on the PS. Ballard physically is not there yet imo. 

I only attended 2 practices but Sudfeld has looked the best of the the rookies . . . I think Gronk is on the PUP for the first 6 games and think Ballard makes the team . . . yes, you see the limp but he has been able to get deep and he can catch the ball.  

Amendola is the real deal . . . I do not see any fall off at the slot . . . Edelman looks 100% on his cuts so he should be as good as last season and hopefully he can stay healthy.

I was impressed with the quickness of Winn and think the Pats will certainly at least try to keep him on the practice squad . . . could make the team if someone goes down in the exibition games.

Don't agree at all about A. Wilson not making this team . . . yes, he will be off the field on 3rd down passing plays but he does things that can help this team.

Kelly looks good next to Vince but man we need to pick up some depth and talent at that position!

Talib looks like he is going to have a pro bowl season and looks like a leader for the young kids . . .  certainly looks like he is playing for a long term contract.

I wasn't that impressed with Boyce .  .  .  Dobson looks like a two year vet and not a rookie so I expect him to have a good season . . . can not believe how skinny Jenkins is but he does appear faster than his nick name but I'm not sure he makes the final cut . . .  I see Slater, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Tompkins making it and I thnk they will go with Boyce over Jenkins because of where he went in the draft and I think they will try to get Sims and Aiken to the practice squad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

And I've been right there with you.  I was disappointed when Ras-I didn't return to practice the next day.  You may very well be right about him.  Unfortunate though it may be, the guy may just not be able to cut it.  I'm still holding out hope but won't be surprised to see him cut.

Not sure what he is out with now.  Have you read or heard anything?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

RESPONSE: Thanks, rkarp. Did you attend these practices with your pal, Rusty?? LOL!!!

RESPONSE: From what I've read, Ballard hasn't fully recovered from knee surgery. Bernard has a great shot at making the team. What the Pats do with Tebow will hold some intrigue.

RESPONSE: Hey, pcmIV and you other idiot homers...how's using the 48th overall pick on Tavon Wilson in 2012 working for ya? I know, I know..."In Bill We Trust". LOL!!

RESPONSE: My, my...neither Tavon Wilson or this years' brilliant 91st overall pick, Duron Harmon, can unseat Gregory? Yeah, I know..."In Bill We Trust".

-I think the PAts are going to be comfortable with 6 WR's including SLater

RESPONSE: Yes. Amendola and the two rooks, but who else?

-I have Fells and Sudfeld on the team, with Fells surprising me. He has looked good. Hooman also on the team.

RESPONSE: Probably. Heard good things so far on Sudfeld.

-I thought VEga would have shown more at gettng to the QB. SO far he has not. Bernard looks like he has a spot on the team

RESPONSE: Though it's still early, Bernard appears to have a jump on Cunningham, Bequette, and Vega. Only one of these four likely makes the team.

-Allen looks very good, but MEsko imo has earned his keep and wins the P job

RESPONSE: Not so sure. Salary could figure into the equation.

-Talib has surprised me. He looks to be better than last year.

RESPONSE: Not surprised. He showed he could play last season. Almost as  importantly, he's shown some maturity. Let's hope he continues down the right path.

-the team needs Connolly ready for the season, there is a big dropoff after the first 7. Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Cannon, Vollmer, Connlly, Svitek if all healthey will be top 3 in the league.

RESPONSE: I agree that Connolly makes the team. If the Pats' cut him, he's the Denver Broncos' starting center.

-the DL depth is a concern. aside from Vince, the DL looks like it will generate pressure, but can be run on. Vereen and Washington have been looking great getting the edge, but I ownder if that is also on the defense as the ends are not geting it done? Jones, Nink, Francis, Bequette, Bernard, all have been pushed around by the OL. DL needs another big body or 2, and they may not be currently on the roster.

RESPONSE: Agreed. This is why it's so important not to squander top 100 draft choices on the likes of Tavon Wilson, and Duron Harmon.

-still very impresed with Mallett. to say this is eventually a Rodgers situation is too high praise, but I hate to lose this guy to free agency next year. he has pro bowl potential with some experience and legit WR's

RESPONSE: He's only played well in one exhibition game, that I've seen. He needs to step up and show more during this preseason. 

-Josh McD looks like a head coach on the field.

RESPONSE He's the guy most likely to replace BB, when BB steps down...unless another team steps up and offers him another head coaching gig.

-I havent comented too much on the WR play...I have seen some of the oooh's and aaaah's catches. but I think the bottom line needs to be played out in preseason. will the WR's be able to get off the line, and will they be in the spot Brady expects them to be? athletically all 3 rookies at WR look better than Price or Tate, but not as good as Chad Jackson, so I am not ready to say all 3 rookies contribute, but they are making plays and appear to have the needed talent

RESPONSE: Who knows. Time will tell...but I really like Markus Wheaton, who was selected by the Steelers, right after the Pats selected Aaron Dobson.

-While the 3 WR's are making great plays, as is Collins, the Rutgers guys look like ST's so far, and I wonder if they will be anything more?

RESPONSE: Ryan Logan needs to be more than that. 

RESPONE: Hopefully, BB won't make the same mistake he made last year with Gronk, rushing him back. Keep him caged Bill, until he's 100%!  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think he is progressing. No word of lingering injury but he plays a positon thats hard to gauge in training camp due to the QB's wearing red jerseys. They cant sack the qb. Someone on BDC makes a list of wins and losses on individual drills between DL and OL and thats about all u can get until preseason game this Friday. Im not worried about him honestly. I think he is legit, but im concerned with who is gonna help on the other side. Nink is a slow starter who did all his work in the 2nd half. He played basically every snap early on and didnt sniff the qb, but maybe he was learning to play DE again. Either way, he makes some timely plays but not consistent enough to draw attention. I believe J.Collins will help and take some snaps from both Nink and Spikes to get more speed on the field at times.

[/QUOTE]

OK thanks.  But there seems to be much more press about Nink, who seems to be excelling this pre-season.  I find the lack of any discussion about Chandler Jones is very curious if not borderline disturbing... I was expecting a break-out year.  We'll see.