Advice for watching Super Bowl in Indy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Advice for watching Super Bowl in Indy?

It may be a bit premature, but if our boys DO win their next game, they will be playing in the big game a little over an hour away from my house!

This is the closest, physically, I'll ever be to seeing them in the Super Bowl. I thought it would be special to try and watch the game in a sports bar as close to Lucas Oil Stadium as possible.

Can any of you tell me what I might expect to see? I know its going to be mayhem, but do you think I might run into other Patriots fans descending on the town of Indy? I've never been anywhere near a Super Bowl, so I'm curious if fans of the competing Super Bowl teams tend to crowd into host cities, even when they cannot be in the stadium.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Re: Advice for watching Super Bowl in Indy?

#1...make sure your favorite team is playing in it before you decide to wade into the chaos...otherwise, it's just another game with commercials worth watching, which you can do easily enough at home thinking "motherf&*&er, we could have taken that NFC team and had our 4th SB...it was OURS!!!!"

#2...I'd try and arrange something with other fans...if condition #1 is met, perhaps you can go early enough and catch on with some other Pats fans.  It's always fun to talk football with other fans...whether you know them or not.  I'd probably not hang out with a large contingent of fans of the NFC representative... :)

#3...I'd call ahead to the bars or restaurants and see what the parking arrangements are nearby.  Stake it out ahead of time.

#4...last but not least.  Break into the stadium with enough rations and supplies for two weeks.  Bring a parachute.  Get to the top of the stadium and watch it all unfold...If the Pats are standing tall at the end, parachute in during the presentation and hug Tom Brady.  We'll all contribute $ to your bail.  Straight cash homey!

I've never been to a SB...so these are my generalized recommendations...you know, if it were me and all.  Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

One thing I have to keep in mind is that there will most likely be ENTIRE BARS consisting of JUST Colts fans , only there to root for a Patriots loss. Wouldn't want to walk into one of those!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

In Response to Re: Advice for watching Super Bowl in Indy?:
    [QUOTE]One thing I have to keep in mind is that there will most likely be ENTIRE BARS consisting of JUST Colts fans , only there to root for a Patriots loss. Wouldn't want to walk into one of those!
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE]
    OH I would without hesitation.  I went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game in 2005 and it was just after Bruschi had his stroke (by three or four months or so).  I wore my Ty Law jersey and man it was cool!  People were telling me to "letter after E" off, I suck, Pats suck, etc, etc.  I was with my friends and it was a pretty family friendly park...so I wasn't worried.  I just raised three fingers in response to most of them.

But there were a couple guys with their young sons taking in the game.  We all got to talking and they remarked how bad everyone felt for Bruschi...they hated playing the guy, but loved watching him.  They were pretty cool, salt of the earth, backbone of the US type of guys...

Sometimes it can be fun to be in enemy territory as a traitor...but I'd imagine most of the fans at any nearby bars are going to be from all over the place.  Indy isn't that big of a place...so there should be some fans sprawled all over the area.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Whenever I'm in Indy I make sure to go the the Blue Crew Bar on 96th St. 
    I'm sure it will be a great place to watch the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]One thing I have to keep in mind is that there will most likely be ENTIRE BARS consisting of JUST Colts fans , only there to root for a Patriots loss. Wouldn't want to walk into one of those!

Meh - they all would just probably look at you like Caldwell looking at, well, whatever the heck he was looking at. I never could figure out what it was, but it sure wasn't the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwPATRIOTSww. Show wwPATRIOTSww's posts

i live in Lafayette, about an hour away from downtown too. A bunch of my friends ( which are colts fans), and my wife and I are going to go downtown to watch the game, and to just experience the whole super bowl atmosphere. I don't think you'll be finding any hotels available, and i'm sure parking cost will be outrageous, if any is available. But, since your right, this is the closest the big game has been to me, I want to go anyway. If you go, definitely go to Kilrory's. Its a bar with alot of tv's, and probably the best long islands ever made. They have a wall covered with all the different flavors you can choose or even mix and match. They are normally $8 apiece, but they are also served in a half pitcher cup. 4 or 5 and your feeling pretty good. Hope to see ya there!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE] i live in Lafayette, about an hour away from downtown too. A bunch of my friends ( which are colts fans), and my wife and I are going to go downtown to watch the game, and to just experience the whole super bowl atmosphere. I don't think you'll be finding any hotels available, and i'm sure parking cost will be outrageous, if any is available. But, since your right, this is the closest the big game has been to me, I want to go anyway. If you go, definitely go to Kilrory's. Its a bar with alot of tv's, and probably the best long islands ever made. They have a wall covered with all the different flavors you can choose or even mix and match. They are normally $8 apiece, but they are also served in a half pitcher cup. 4 or 5 and your feeling pretty good. Hope to see ya there!
    Posted by wwPATRIOTSww[/QUOTE]

Cool, I'm from Lafayette too! I wonder how early one would have to be to get into Kilroy's. I've only been there once. I know of at least one other forum member here who also lives in Lafayette (FenwayChuck). Maybe we should form a gameday convoy. Although to be honest, I won't go if the Pats aren't in it. Perhaps we should meet somewhere for the AFC Championship game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brady-is-clutch. Show brady-is-clutch's posts

im from lafayette also, it will be so nice watching TFB win #4 in playtex's house, GO PATS!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Advice for watching Super Bowl in Indy?:
    [QUOTE]It may be a bit premature, but if our boys DO win their next game, they will be playing in the big game a little over an hour away from my house! This is the closest, physically, I'll ever be to seeing them in the Super Bowl. I thought it would be special to try and watch the game in a sports bar as close to Lucas Oil Stadium as possible. Can any of you tell me what I might expect to see? I know its going to be mayhem, but do you think I might run into other Patriots fans descending on the town of Indy? I've never been anywhere near a Super Bowl, so I'm curious if fans of the competing Super Bowl teams tend to crowd into host cities, even when they cannot be in the stadium. Thoughts?

I think they absolutely do.  I'd imagine there would be plenty of Pats fans here.  That said, assuming the pats get to the SB, Pats fans will likely be in the minority given the locals' perspective:

1.  the natural pats/colts rivalry
    2.  the giants have Eli Manning and colts fans would root for him because of Peyton. 
    3.  the 49ers have Harbaugh who was the first Colts QB to give Indy any taste of success.  So there would be a local rooting interest there, as well.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I SF gets in it will be all SF fans. Didnt Harbaugh play for the Colts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

My advice is to leave Indiana.  Yuck!  My sympathies.  No offense.

Chicago is the nicest city in the Midwest.  Watch the game at The Foundry in Aurora, IL, but stay in Chicago, see the sights before and/or after.  Michigan Ave., the art musuems, some good dining (but not as good as Providence), the Garfield Consevatory, etc.

That sports bar is an incredible place.  Book ahead.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

If the SB were in Florida (or even NO) I'd consider going if the Patriots make it. But I don't know that I'd go to Indy in February! Good luck. Just remember if you watch the game at a bar, by the end there are likely to be a lot of drunks. Whatever the fan base ratio watch your back. I do imagine there will be some Colts fans who would be bitter about NE playing in the SB in their stadium! And if they do win it all, remember in another 2 years the big game is at the Meadowlands! Now there I'd pack an automatic weapon, if NE played a SB in the Jests stadium it would probably drive a lot of their fans insane (or at least crazier than they already are)!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

And if they do win it all, remember in another 2 years the big game is at the Meadowlands! Now there I'd pack an automatic weapon, if NE played a SB in the Jests stadium it would probably drive a lot of their fans insane (or at least crazier than they already are)!!!

It would be anarchy if NE plays a superbowl at the Meadowlands/Met Life Stadium! I live in NY but still I am not sure of the best sports bar in the whole tri-state region? I watch Pats games in at a rib joint in Blauvelt, NY (Rockland County) about 20 miles N of the city. We have a few Pats regulars there. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

I did something similar when the Pats played in the Jacksonville Superbowl.  Took my girl out of school and spent the weekend down there.

To be honest, I was disappointed that there wasn't better access to the players.  I understand, as there were a lot of professional memorabilia people there bogarting access to the players to get more stuff to sell.  Still, it was especially painful that we missed Troy Brown by literally 30 seconds.

I'm glad we went.  I did get to listen to Shannon Sharpe go on at length about how bad the Eagles were going to beat the Patriots.  Made watching the game (back at home) that much more enjoyable.

I had my daughter with me, so I did not do the bar scene.  Jacksonville was alive, though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

It looks like Indy has put a lot of work into creating a huge downtown party atmosphere. Free concerts, streets will be closed off, zip lines, and the usual parties. As long as they don't get a snow or ice storm it looks like a good time.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120117/LIVING12/120117012/The-List-Super-Bowl-parties-events-concerts-coming-Indy?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

When the SB comes to Tampa I contact out of town friends who have season tickets.  They can try to tap into their teams allotment.  The further away from the SB site and the worse their team, the better chance they have at getting tickets.  I offer a place to stay for a free ticket.  This has worked for me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

I recommend wearing an "18 Manning" Jets Jersey to get the locals all riled up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In response to "Re: Advice for watching Super Bowl in Indy?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Advice for watching Super Bowl in Indy? : Meh - they all would just probably look at you like Caldwell looking at, well, whatever the heck he was looking at. I never could figure out what it was, but it sure wasn't the game. Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE] Haha I think he was never really into coaching, someone just offered him a job years ago and he hungaround meetings and late nights..Surfing the intranet watching movies and stuff. Then dungy decided to hang it up so Isray thought huh, ive seen this guy around the stadium and he just has that poker face look so should make him the next head coach... The rest is a non story

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]im from lafayette also, it will be so nice watching TFB win #4 in playtex's house, GO PATS!
    Posted by brady-is-clutch[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should get as many (Lafayette) Patriots fans together this Sunday as possible. Whaddya say?