Advice on going to Pats/Colts game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

Advice on going to Pats/Colts game.

A friend of mine has been pestering about going to the Colts/Pats game. He's a Colts fan and he wants to see the Brady/Manning matchup before it's too late. They are both getting up there in age. Neither one of us have ever been to an NFL game.

My reasons against it are:

1) I'm cheap. And tickets are going to be outrageous. I'm not going to miss the cash. But again, I'm cheap. It just doesn't seem like a good value.

2) I finally broke down and bought a big screen TV- 72 inch. Should be arrivng via freight any day now. It seems like it would be much nicer to watch the game in 1080p from my living room- where I can actually see everything.

3) This kind of ties in with #2. But driving 3 hours (each way) to sit in the cold for another 3 hours seems not that fun. To say nothing of the time spent parking and getting in and out of the stadium. That;s an entire day shot. Not to mention weekends are the only time I get to see my GF. And lately I don't even get Saturdays anymore- I'm working. It's a 4:00 game so she'll be out cold by the time I get home.

4) Like I said, I've never been to an NFL game. Even with good seats at some point, I wont really be able to see the action, correct? Where would be the best sections to look at when looking for tickets?

Despite all these perfectly logical reasons, there's still part of me that wants to go. I'm hoping somebody that's been to one of these games can talk me into it. Is it really worth it? And what can I expect as far as being able to see game action?

Also, I was going to google it. But does anyone know if Jeremy Jacobs does the concessions for Gillete? Because there is no way I'm giving that sleazeball a dime of my money. Ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

Re: Advice on going to Pats/Colts game.

Wow, you need to man up!! I'm a girl and i have gone to many games in the blustering cold. I've gone up to Buffalo in December, several times, to see Pats games in -6 degree weather with no hat or gloves! I guess i'm just a die hard. You only live once...what's the point of being so "cheap"? You can't take it with you and on top of it, you'll always have the regret of never seeing a Manning/Brady game. If you look hard enough, you can find some upper level seats for an ok price, considering it's a game against the colts. Oh..and seriously..what guy wouldn't want to go to a game with his buddy and sacrafice a day away from his gf/wife? lol - Go to the game and make the best of it man!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Advice on going to Pats/Colts game.:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine has been pestering about going to the Colts/Pats game. He's a Colts fan and he wants to see the Brady/Manning matchup before it's too late. They are both getting up there in age. Neither one of us have ever been to an NFL game. My reasons against it are: 1) I'm cheap. And tickets are going to be outrageous. I'm not going to miss the cash. But again, I'm cheap. It just doesn't seem like a good value. 2) I finally broke down and bought a big screen TV- 72 inch. Should be arrivng via freight any day now. It seems like it would be much nicer to watch the game in 1080p from my living room- where I can actually see everything. 3) This kind of ties in with #2. But driving 3 hours (each way) to sit in the cold for another 3 hours seems not that fun. To say nothing of the time spent parking and getting in and out of the stadium. That;s an entire day shot. Not to mention weekends are the only time I get to see my GF. And lately I don't even get Saturdays anymore- I'm working. It's a 4:00 game so she'll be out cold by the time I get home. 4) Like I said, I've never been to an NFL game. Even with good seats at some point, I wont really be able to see the action, correct? Where would be the best sections to look at when looking for tickets? Despite all these perfectly logical reasons, there's still part of me that wants to go. I'm hoping somebody that's been to one of these games can talk me into it. Is it really worth it? And what can I expect as far as being able to see game action? Also, I was going to google it. But does anyone know if Jeremy Jacobs does the concessions for Gillete? Because there is no way I'm giving that sleazeball a dime of my money. Ever.
    Posted by df2[/QUOTE]

I responded to this out of respect for your bashing, the scum, Jacobs.

I would go.  The TV will always be there. Have him pay for everything but the ticket itself since he is the one wants to spend the money.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

True...  The best seat is sitting in front of your 72" TV.  This is why you DVR the game and watch the game after you get home from the game.  Watching a game on TV cannot replicate the: excitement, sounds, energy, experience, and emotions of being there.  Get on stubhub.com and see what you feel comfortable spending.   Get to the game early and tailgate you rear off and plan tailgating after the game until traffic starts to move.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Advice on going to Pats/Colts game.:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine has been pestering about going to the Colts/Pats game. He's a Colts fan and he wants to see the Brady/Manning matchup before it's too late. They are both getting up there in age. Neither one of us have ever been to an NFL game. My reasons against it are: 1) I'm cheap. And tickets are going to be outrageous. I'm not going to miss the cash. But again, I'm cheap. It just doesn't seem like a good value. 2) I finally broke down and bought a big screen TV- 72 inch. Should be arrivng via freight any day now. It seems like it would be much nicer to watch the game in 1080p from my living room- where I can actually see everything. 3) This kind of ties in with #2. But driving 3 hours (each way) to sit in the cold for another 3 hours seems not that fun. To say nothing of the time spent parking and getting in and out of the stadium. That;s an entire day shot. Not to mention weekends are the only time I get to see my GF. And lately I don't even get Saturdays anymore- I'm working. It's a 4:00 game so she'll be out cold by the time I get home. 4) Like I said, I've never been to an NFL game. Even with good seats at some point, I wont really be able to see the action, correct? Where would be the best sections to look at when looking for tickets? Despite all these perfectly logical reasons, there's still part of me that wants to go. I'm hoping somebody that's been to one of these games can talk me into it. Is it really worth it? And what can I expect as far as being able to see game action? Also, I was going to google it. But does anyone know if Jeremy Jacobs does the concessions for Gillete? Because there is no way I'm giving that sleazeball a dime of my money. Ever.
    Posted by df2[/QUOTE]

I will be at that game.  I will also be posting the week of the game to see who else is going so that maybe we can all meet up and tailgate.  If I can come from NJ, you can do the 3 hours.  A live game is an experience.  Will it be cold?  Hell yes.  Bring hand warmers, extra layers of clothes, gloves, crap like that.  You and well maybe your Indy fan friend are more than welcome to join us and anyone else from there for a large tailgate.  We will have food, beer, beerpong.  It is a blast. I am not sure how many hours before the game they let u in to tailgate, but that is when I will get there. 
    Part of the fun is meeting people, talking football and smack to the other teams fans, all in fun of course.  Sharing food with other tailgaters, beer and booze too.  It is a huge social event.  Nosebleeds or great seats, it is all fun.  Just bring enough clothing to stay warm.  U can always leave extra in the car.
    Dont know about the concessions, but we eat and drink so much ahead while in the lots that we barely buy anything while there. Plus our food is better. 

I think apdynasty is going to that one as well as MVPkilla. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

I'm flying up to the Colts / Pats game from Jacksonville fl  ( long time Pats fan going waaaaay back ) and I'm flying in on Saturday night staying at the Park Plaza hotel and taking the train down to the game.

I'll be bringing my ski pants just in case of cold weather and I might add wearing those things make the game a helleva lot more enjoyable during cold weather.

My flight is booked
    My game ticket is purchased and in hand
    My hotel reserversation is booked

Now I need to find someone to tailgate with once I get to the stadium area.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Oh well....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Get off ur a $$ and go to game. U can't beat the "Live" experience and as already stated record the game on TV also.

I live in Ireland and have travelled to Foxboro for one game every year since Gillette (CMG) Stadium opened.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In Response to Re: Advice on going to Pats/Colts game.:
    [QUOTE]Wow, you need to man up!! I'm a girl and i have gone to many games in the blustering cold. I've gone up to Buffalo in December, several times, to see Pats games in -6 degree weather with no hat or gloves! I guess i'm just a die hard. You only live once...what's the point of being so "cheap"? You can't take it with you and on top of it, you'll always have the regret of never seeing a Manning/Brady game. If you look hard enough, you can find some upper level seats for an ok price, considering it's a game against the colts. Oh..and seriously..what guy wouldn't want to go to a game with his buddy and sacrafice a day away from his gf/wife? lol

ok.....I need to find a tailgate where Crown is the drink of choice

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

I was re-reading my post. And I've got to say I'm a litlle embarassed. I come off as quite the pink hat whiner. To be honest, most of my "reasons" were excuses to talk myself out of going. I had a chance to go to the Pats/Jags AFC Championship years ago. That fell through and I've always regretted it.

I try not to get too personal on these sites. But my girlfriend picked up a stalker at work. This guy is a complete psycho. They already fired him. But the police don't really seem to care about the restraining order. And I'm guessing they wont until I do something about him. I feel guilty and nervous about leaving her alone all day with him on the loose. I think I'm more freaked out about it than she is. The problem is, she thinks she's a lot tougher than she is. She weighs about 110-120. This guy could break her in half.

I can't bring her. She has no interest in sports. And she is always cold. So she has no desire to sit outside for three hours. And if I she knows I didn't go because of her (and she will) we are going to have a battle. So either way, I'm screwed. I might as well go and try to have some fun.

The only other real issue I had was having the game ruined for me. What I mean by that is: It's Pats/Colts The regular season game of the year- for me at least. I don't want to go there and spend most of the game looking at moving dots and having no idea what's going on. For some reason I just pictured it being like that.

I don't want to say you guys talked me into it. But you did make me realize what an idiot I was being. Thanks to everybody that responded. Particularly Sam Adams. I don't see the point of going if I can't get good seats. Your advice will be really helpfull when looking for tickets.

And to Russ: I already made my friend promise to not buy any food at the stadium. Here's the way I look at it: He's not going unless I go with him. So If I take him there and he spends money on food, I'm still putting money in Jacobs' pocket. Even if it didn't come out of my wallet. I won't have that. Maybe I can't  do anything to stop him. But I'll be damned if I'm going to help him bend over the city of Boston. The guy makes me sick!

Anyway, assuming I can find decent tickets I plan on going now. My friend and I figured we should be able find good (not great) seats in the $300-$400 range. I don't know if that's naive or not. I'm going over to his house on Thursday we can look then.

Thanks everybody. That was just what I needed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

it's 3 am, so you better take my advice (you spelled the noun correctly! unusual here).

GO!!!

If you are really a Pats fan, you would be one of very few to have that experience.

You would not have to suffer the cold (oh I am going to get it from the others)
    You have to suffer sitting next to Colts fans. I can't imagine it can be worse than watching in NY.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Go to the game, stop being such a sissy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]I'm flying up to the Colts / Pats game from Jacksonville fl  ( long time Pats fan going waaaaay back ) and I'm flying in on Saturday night staying at the Park Plaza hotel and taking the train down to the game. I'll be bringing my ski pants just in case of cold weather and I might add wearing those things make the game a helleva lot more enjoyable during cold weather. My flight is booked My game ticket is purchased and in hand My hotel reserversation is booked Now I need to find someone to tailgate with once I get to the stadium area.
    Posted by jaxpat[/QUOTE]

Make signboard to put over your chest that says "Pats fan.  Flew up from Jacksonville.  Looking for friends to tailgate with".  You'll have a 100 offers to join them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]i'm as cheap as they come, so i know what you're coming from there.  also, when it comes to watching the actual game, chances are the TV will be better.  However... you cannot replicate the atmosphere and experience of a live sporting event.  you can choose to look at the day as being shot, but trust me, 50 years from now you will remember going to the game.  you will remember your feeling as you walk through the gates.  if you stay home, you won't remember hanging out with your girlfriend, and unless the game turns out to be epic, chances are you won't even remember watching it on tv.  i say, if you can, make it happen.  the only downside is that you're going with a Colts fan.
    Posted by Mike-J-D[/QUOTE]

Good point.  I was on those cold aluminum benches at the old Foxboro at the first game that a third string quarterback was thrown into the game and lit a fire under the team.  His name was Grogan.  I'lll never forget that one.

You only go around once.  Go for it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

They say "nosebleed", but you can see everything from any seat in the stadium -- and they are not "dots".  Is it as clear as on TV?  No. On TV they are bigger.  However, there is a flip side.  When you are there you can see the play developing.  You can see someone getting free.  There is the anticipation of "throw it to him, throw it to him"  that you don't get on TV until the camera moves there.  You get a better appreciation for the team aspect of the game when you are there.

I have been in the back row (at the old stadium) at the 10 yard line and I have been in the end zone in both places.  My only advice for end zone is to go up high, not low.  As for sideline seats, I prefer the mille (200) or upper (300) seats as opposed to the lower (100) seats.  You get a better perspective of the whole action.

That said, tailgating is AT LEAST AS GOOD as the game experience itself.  Don't miss it.  My most memorable experience was going to a Monday night game in Miami and there were as many Patirot fans tailgating as there were Dolphin fans.  The comeraderie (even between the two groups) was fabulous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I have a rule. If the players look smaller from my seat than they do on my TV I'll go with the TV every time. Besides with ticket prices being what they are especially when you have to get them from a broker I'd rather hold onto the money.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Two things:

1. You don't go to the game to actually see the game. If you want to see the game, stay home and watch on TV. You go to the game to be a part of the atmosphere and to revel in the experience. It's about the camraderie at the tailgate and in the stands. The game gives you a reason to release your inner caveman, but it's largely incidental.

2. Forget value. The truth is, a ticket to just about anything thats at all in demand these days -- whether it's a ballgame or a concert or the Rapture -- isn't worth it. If you're even considering a cost-benefit analysis, you're barking up the wrong tree. If you've got the money, spend it and have a good time (remember what happened to King Midas). But don't plunk down your hard-earned money if you're going to then spend the entire time b*tching about how it "wasn't worth it."

Just my two cents.

Feel free to ignore at your leisure.

Cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

buy the tickets and i'll fly up from atlanta and go to the game with your ticket so you get the best of both worlds spend the money on a ticket and be warm behind your 72" TV lol

Dude go, send the girl with friends for the day or send her to the spa.  I would die to have just a 3 hour drive to go see those Pats, this is a special year so far y miss any game specially the Brady/Manning matchup.  Should be an excellent game.

Hope you go and enjoy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

I have been to two games at Gillette and both times had seats at the very top.  I could follow the action very clearly.  There's nothing like the excitement of actually being at the game and cheering a great play along with 50,000 other fans.  To avoid paying a lot for parking and getting stuck in traffic jams, you can take a train from Providence or South Station to the stadium.