AFC Championship Game: New York Jets/New England Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

AFC Championship Game: New York Jets/New England Patriots

Call me crazy but I have this feeling the Jets and Patriots will play in the AFC Title Game. I know it's a bit out there but here me out.

If the Jets gameplan like this, they're fully capable of getting to the title game. They have the shutdown corner/secondary that can give the Colts trouble. I'm interested in seeing how Geyton handles this pass rush. Not to mention, I'm interested in seeing how long the Jets can hold the ball and keep it out of Geyton's hands. The Jets are coming off a 37-0 win at home against the Bengals and sure, you can't read into that too much but it helps their confidence. I remember the 2007 Giants lost their season-finale but it gave them a certain vigor for the playoffs, knowing they could play with the best of them. The key, and I was intrigued to see how they approached it tonight, was to keep Sanchez on a very tight leash in terms of the throws he had to make. They built him up initially, let him gain some confidence and then added a few more throws in the play-calling. With that running attack, they have that luxury as they can still move the ball without too many throws. Did you see that blocking? Almost anyone could run through those gaping holes.

I think the Patriots match-up very well with the Ravens. We'll run the ball and control the clock with the occasional deep ball to Moss or Aiken. Our run defense is not one of our weaknesses so we should be able to keep the Ravens running attack in control. Our secondary cannot and will not get shredded by Joe Flacco. If we take Mason out, they're nothing in terms of a passing game. I think McGowan can run with Heap. The Chargers run defense isn't too great and considering that their big receivers and prolific passing attack is going to give our secondary fits, I see a gameplan where again, we run and control the clock. We show them a lot of 3-4 man fronts and drop bodies into coverage. Their running attack is horrible. Warm weather and our offense is really made for an indoor/warm weather game since we love to pass a little more than we run.

Go ahead, let me hear it. I seriously think Foxboro will host the AFC title game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM1992. Show MM1992's posts

Re: AFC Championship Game: New York Jets/New England Patriots

check your meds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boom95. Show boom95's posts

Could be good chance Indy loses its first game and if we take care of buisness we could host, but i dont think it will be NYJ we play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

As crazy as this post initially sounds... when u really think about it, there really isnt a DOMINANT AFC Team ( look at Colts W's this year...if the ball bounces differently at the end of many of them~ they'd be 4th seed at best... cherry schedule too with their tougher match-ups being played in Indy ...they are very good but not-unbeatable and definately NOT playing their best football right now )
     Actually i'd be just as surprised if Pats get to AFC champ game as if the Jets do .
    The best word to describe Pats season is UNEVEN .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boom95. Show boom95's posts

CaptFoxboro i agree , and the most talented team in AFC has the worst coach Norv Turner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arxaquila3. Show arxaquila3's posts

I'd agree that the Bengals and Ravens will lose in the first round. While I wouldn't read too much into tonights performance by the Jets, I'm more worried about their pass rush and more violence inflicted on TB. The Pats could stay healthy longer if they faced Indy and then the Jets. On the other hand, since Indy never does us any favors, the Colts will probably lose their first game so we'd have to play the Chargers and the Jets which would be tough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The Jets had the perfect gameplan for beating a team playing without a gameplan.  The Bengals got to see the Jets best, and the Jets saw a preseason quality gameplan from the Bengals.  The two teams meet next week.  Anyone think the Jets will hold the Bengals to 72 yards of offense and score 37 points next week?

Either I'm right about this or the 85 Bears just got reinvented.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJS2877. Show JJS2877's posts

You seem to take it for granted that the Pats will run and "control the clock" against the Ravens. If Baltimore's D still does one thing well, it's defend against the run. Attacking the Ravens pass D is the Pats best chance to win and it's going to be much tougher without Wes. The Raiders are a better running team than the Pats and did nothing against the Ravens, but the poo-poo platter of Russell/Frye threw for almost 300 yards. This is going to be one of those 50-10 pass to run ratio games for the Patriots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I think we'll be able to run, not all over, but enough. This might sound crazy but we need to use WW's injury to our advantage as much as we can anyways. Who knows if they think were gonna sell out to the run or try and throw it all day. I dont think we should change our game plan for them, one way or another. We do need to commit to the run a lil' more  in general though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

Karma will have its way, AFC championship in Indy. Seems like it was meant to happen. Should have a lot of new looks after three weeks time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

We'll see.  I personally think the Colts are playing very good ball to this date.  What the back-ups do in meaningless games fails to predict what the starters will do in the play-offs.  I know others have different opinions about "momentum" and "rust", but I think the Colts will win their first game this year (against Balt., NYJ, or Cincinnati).  I'm rooting for an Indy championship game against SD or NE... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

OK OK....maybe...just maybe they beat the Bengals.  But does anyone think they can beat the Colts again? 

Cowher was right yesterday...looking like a Colts - Chargers championship game.

Anyone else think what I thought when he made that prognostication regarding OT?  Basically he said, SD would win the toss, drive down and kick a FG without Manning ever touching the ball.....resulting in the NFL cahnging the OT rules to allow for each team to have a possession. 

Yes, I believe something more like the college game is more appropriate.  That is, after they get Bill Polian to stop screaming......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

neither team will make it IMO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: AFC Championship Game: New York Jets/New England Patriots:
    neither team will make it IMO
    Posted by jbolted

Well, I give you that it will be an upset if we beat the Chargers this year.  That said, when we upset the Chargers in 2006 our offense was worse and the Chargers were better IMO.  If you see a guy running around with a pink Chargers hat the day after the game, you'll know we did not upset the Chargers.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Indy made themselves to be a bad punchline in a third rated comidian act.  The Jets imo will win in Cincy and if Sanches doesn't trip handing off the ball have a chance to upset Indy.

NE will win against the Ravens if we stop the run to under 100 yards and we get some big plays in the passing game which we can against that D.  The ravens can play the run but teams have been able to run against them this year.
    The game which will be the best of all is NE at Chargers, best coach and against worse.  Their pass offense against our secondary and vice versa, on paper the Pats should not win any phase of that game but I still like their chances.  Look for their coach to just put on a bad game plan and shock as he always does. 
    I can't wait to see Mayo smack LT in the mouth.

Jets Pats AFC Championship not impossible, I give it a 35% chance of that been the match up.  NFC, I like Green Bay.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phluff17. Show phluff17's posts

I stopped reading at "here me out"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Unfortunately, as much as I hate to admit it, you may be right about the jets.  Those cowardly colts let a monster into the party.  The Jets' defense and running game (both tops in the NFL) puts them in serious contention in this post season.  They have just as good a chance as anyone to go all the way.  If their fat basterd coach and stupid qb don't blow it, they got a shot.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

The only way the Jets make the Superbowl is if the next three teams act like the last two teams the Jets played and lay down. Let's face it, if Indy and Cinn hadn't laid down and given up like a bunch'a puzzies the Jet's wouldn't even be a part of the conversation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

wow. talk about wishful thinking.

How about we just concentrate on the ravens?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trollslayer. Show trollslayer's posts

The jest havent made it to the SB in 40 years and counting, peon gave up on the jets weeks ago

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

First: 7/14/2008
    Last: 1/4/2010
    We'll see.  I personally think the Colts are playing very good ball to this date.  What the back-ups do in meaningless games fails to predict what the starters will do in the play-offs.  I know others have different opinions about "momentum" and "rust", but I think the Colts will win their first game this year (against Balt., NYJ, or Cincinnati).  I'm rooting for an Indy championship game against SD or NE

Well Jules, I tend to agree that you can't take anything useful from games in which the team essentially lays down. So let's see . . .  the last time the Colts actually tried to win a game, they did so, barely, against a Johnsonville team that then went of to get smoked by four touchdowns against the Pats and couldn't finish against . . .  do I have this right . . .   the Browns?

Yup. I can see where you would be confident.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Pmike -

Far be it from me to suggest that the colts have any more of a chance than anyone else in the playoffs.  In my opinion, they haven't done a lot to separate themselves from the competition except win. 

But for the life of me, I don't understand how 2 unrelated Jacksonville losses following their loss to the colts has anything to do with someone having confidence in the colts ability to win. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Probability of NE/Jets final:

NE over Balt (.6) and NE over SD (.4 ) so P(NE getting there) is .6x.4 = .24

Jets of Cincy (.6) and Jets over Indy (.4) so P(Jets getting there) is also .24.

Therefore, P(both getting there) is .24x.24 or about .058.  That means the odds against it are .942/.058 or about 16 to 1.

If you think these probablities for each of the games are off, then you see how to do your own estimates.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

Anyone catch Rex Ryan screaming on the sidelines for an intentional grounding call last night on the Bengals second string QB as they are up by 30 points with 4 minutes left in the game against a team who decided not to play before the game even started? 

And to think that the Pats will probably win next week despite them being injured while these lucky stiffs walk backwards (as always) into the playoffs. 

What a truely sad state of affairs
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

he did it because it was the correct call you moron. And anyone here who says BB would not have done the exact same thing is a liar. And your spiel about the Bengals not playing is a lot of crap. It's just an excuse that you and the rest of the Patsies make up to try to feel better. You just can't deal with them being in the playoffs and possibly making another game of it with your newly injured WR (a convenient excuse), battered Tammy Brady (another excuse) and a swiss cheese defense that gave up more 4th quarter points than I can count

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I like the Jets' chances of advancing far more than the Ravens or the Bengals. But hard to see the Jets beating the Colts in a REAL game. 

Having said that, I personally think the most likely trip to the superbowl for the Pats means some other team knocks off either San Diego or Indy. I don't see the Pats beating both those teams this year. So, why not root for the Jets. If for some reason Sancrisis plays a good game, the tough D and running game could get them through. 

San Diego vs Indy is clearly the most likely option, but if some team will crash that Party I put the Jets second behind the Pats.