AFC Playoff Picture

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

AFC Playoff Picture

If the season ended today, these are the playoff teams. Who from the teams in the hunt will overtake the Colts? Chargers? Dolphins? Will there be anyone?

Division Leaders W  L  DIV  CONF
    Texans                   7  1   2-0   7-0
    Ravens                  6  2   3-0   5-1
    Patriots                  5  3   2-0   4-1
    Broncos                 5  3   2-0   4-2

Wildcard
    Colts                      5  3   1-1   3-2
    Steelers                 5  3   1-0   2-3

In The Hunt
    Chargers                4  4   3-1   4-2
    Dolphins                 4  4   1-1   3-3
    Raiders                  3  5   1-2   3-3
    Jets                       3  5   2-2   3-4
    Bills                       3  5   0-2   2-4
    Bengals                 3  5   1-3   2-5
    Titans                    3  6   0-2   2-4
    Browns                  2  7   1-3   2-5
    Jaguars                 1  7   1-1   1-3
    Chiefs                    1  7   0-3   0-5

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: AFC Playoff Picture

The way things are now, I think the Steelers can overtake the Ravens. But I think the Ravens will at least hold onto the wild card.

The rest of the division leaders remain the same.

I think it comes down to IND and SD in the last week of the season. In which case I pick Indy.

SD is a choke job and has a good chance to lose to the Raiders. Indy will be playing for a playoff spot, while HOU will probably rest their starters and have a bye week in hand.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

dapats, I agree that the Ravens and Steelers swap positions and that the rest of the division leaders remain the same.

The last spot could go to the Dolphins if they can steal one from the Patriots. Check out their remaining opponents:

Colts remaining opponents: at Jaguars (1-7), at Patriots (5-3), vs. Bills (3-5), at Lions (4-4), vs. Titans (3-6), at Texans (7-1), at Chiefs (1-7), vs. Texans (7-1)

Chargers remaining opponents: at Buccaneers (4-4), at Broncos (5-3), vs. Ravens (6-2), vs. Bengals (3-5), at Steelers (5-3), vs. Panthers (2-6), at Jets (3-5), vs. Raiders (3-5)

Dolphins remaining opponents: vs. Titans (3-6), at Bills (3-5), vs. Seahawks (5-4), vs. Patriots (5-3), at 49ers (6-2), vs. Jaguars (1-7), vs. Bills (3-5), at Patriots (5-3) 

I see the Colts going 4-4 finishing at 9-7.
    I see the Chargers going 5-3 finishing at 9-7.
    I see the Dolphins going 5-3 finishing at 9-7.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Colts would hold the tie breaker over the dolphins

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Yup. That's why the Phins will have to beat NE.

Way too early to predict anything, maybe Tebow leads the Jets to 10-6. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

denver and the chargers may flip flop depending on who wins their division. Similar situation between steelers and ravens - ravens appear to have a harder remaining schedule. Otherwise, picture may not change much

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have New England.  Then I have Houston and Denver.  The question is, which of these teams wins the footrace to home field advantage or to the second bye?   Houston has the lead, but they have two tough away games at Chicago (the worst one, I favor Chi by 2.5 points) and at Detroit (pick em).  Then Houston has to go to New England (I favor New England by 4.6 points).  The New England game is a big head to head tiebreaker.

Denver has already lost its tiebreaker to New England.  However, they play mostly average teams and bozos for the rest of the year.  FrankenPeyton's bolted-on neck and retread arm seem to be holding together at this point, so Denver is in like Flynn.  When Peyton loosens up and lets his hair down, does he use a wrench and a solvent?

All that New England has on its screen, after the critical Houston game, is a Super Bowl preview game against San Francisco at home, New England by 8.3 points, long flight out, SF has to play rival Seattle the next week in Seattle.  The actual Super Bowl would be a pick em.

I can't see any AFC North team winning the AFC North.  Don't give me any of that "someone has to" business.  Baltimore goes 4-4 from here out, finishes 10-6.  Pitt goes 5-3 and finishes 10-6.  One of them gets a wild card.  Neither one of them gets a bye.

The last wild card is up for grabs at 8-8. 

San Diego looks like 4-4.  They have a shot.  Miami looks like 4-4.  They have a shot.  Indianapolis goes 3-5 the rest of the way.  They've been playing bunnies but that changes pretty soon.  The Jets could once more sneak in with their lucky horseshoe except they regularly die in December.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

i dont give a $shit who else is there, we are going to New orleans. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

if the season ended today we would have a first round matchup with the Steelers?! Thats a heckuva 1st round match up!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Steelers and Baltimore switch. 

If the Colts don't make it, I like the Dolphins chances to replace them

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if the season ended today we would have a first round matchup with the Steelers?! Thats a heckuva 1st round match up!

[/QUOTE]

Right now, if things ended to day, the Patriots would host the Steelers, play at Baltimore and at Houston to make it to the Super Bowl. That would not be an easy road.

Everyone seems sure that Ravens will falter, but since they own the tie break the Patriots have to play two game better than them over the second half to finish ahead. That means if the Patriots go 6-2, the Ravens would have to go 4-4 for the Patriots to overtake them not impossible, but I am not sure it will happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

WE WIN. Neither Steelers or Ravens can stop us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have New England.  Then I have Houston and Denver.  The question is, which of these teams wins the footrace to home field advantage or to the second bye?   Houston has the lead, but they have two tough away games at Chicago (the worst one, I favor Chi by 2.5 points) and at Detroit (pick em).  Then Houston has to go to New England (I favor New England by 4.6 points).  The New England game is a big head to head tiebreaker.

Denver has already lost its tiebreaker to New England.  However, they play mostly average teams and bozos for the rest of the year.  FrankenPeyton's bolted-on neck and retread arm seem to be holding together at this point, so Denver is in like Flynn.  When Peyton loosens up and lets his hair down, does he use a wrench and a solvent?

All that New England has on its screen, after the critical Houston game, is a Super Bowl preview game against San Francisco at home, New England by 8.3 points, long flight out, SF has to play rival Seattle the next week in Seattle.  The actual Super Bowl would be a pick em.

[/QUOTE]

If the Houston at Detriot game is a pick-em, then so is Patriots game at Miami (do you realize the Phins have the sixth ranked defense in the NFL?).

The Patriots second half schedule is a lot tougher than you are giving it credit for. The only "easy" games are Buffalo and Jacksonville. The Dolphins will put up a fight both times as will the Colts (the Colts actually have the same record as the Patriots).  The Jets will try (I am not sure they have enough of anything to beat the Patriots), but on national TV in prime-time on Thanksgiving, playing for the lives (and Ryan possibly coaching for his job)  it will not be an easy game.

The 49ers may have a long flight out, but the Pats also lose a day of rest going into that game. This is not the second half schedule from last year where the Pats end on an 8-0 run.  I expect that Patriots to go 6-2 (split the Houston-SF back-to-back and one other stumble along the way). At 11-5, they will certainly win the AFC East, but a by will not be a guarantee...

The Broncos have an extremely easy schedule and could easily go 7-1 putting them back ahead of the Patriots despite having lost to them. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to sam0377's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WE WIN. Neither Steelers or Ravens can stop us.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the we well thought out argument... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Right now, if things ended to day, the Patriots would host the Steelers, play at Baltimore and at Houston to make it to the Super Bowl. That would not be an easy road.

Everyone seems sure that Ravens will falter, but since they own the tie break the Patriots have to play two game better than them over the second half to finish ahead. That means if the Patriots go 6-2, the Ravens would have to go 4-4 for the Patriots to overtake them not impossible, but I am not sure it will happen.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, that is not an eeasy road at all! We need to win out and try to get the first round bye, but Baltimore would have to collapse for that to happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Pats will handle Baltimore if they get them again.  Steelers are on the rise; they're going to be a tougher matchup than the Ravens. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

All of this is good fun and speculation.

If the Pats start playing consistantly, their secondary improves and stops giving up so many big plays, Offense performs up to its ability, then where they play and who should not matter. They can beat all the teams on their schedule and in the playoffs on paper, however, they need to play the game, execute and make plays. 

If they do execute and make plays they will be in the superbowl. If they can't they won't. No team in the NFL has the ability to consistantly win without playing well. Maybe one or two games but not consistantly. The difference between 5-3 and 8-0 is only 4 points... we should know this better than anyone. Play and execute and you will win.

we can win homefield advantage and a bye if they play to their ability for 60 minutes each and every game day for the rest of the year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]

I can't see any AFC North team winning the AFC North.  Don't give me any of that "someone has to" business.  Baltimore goes 4-4 from here out, finishes 10-6.  Pitt goes 5-3 and finishes 10-6.  One of them gets a wild card.  Neither one of them gets a bye.

The last wild card is up for grabs at 8-8. 

San Diego looks like 4-4.  They have a shot.  Miami looks like 4-4.  They have a shot.  Indianapolis goes 3-5 the rest of the way.  They've been playing bunnies but that changes pretty soon.  The Jets could once more sneak in with their lucky horseshoe except they regularly die in December.

[/QUOTE]

the games vs. houston and san francisco will tell us a lot about both our offense and defense. Let's see how much the coaches and players have learned during the season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Houston at Detriot game is a pick-em, then so is Patriots game at Miami (do you realize the Phins have the sixth ranked defense in the NFL?).

The Patriots second half schedule is a lot tougher than you are giving it credit for. The only "easy" games are Buffalo and Jacksonville. The Dolphins will put up a fight both times as will the Colts (the Colts actually have the same record as the Patriots).  The Jets will try (I am not sure they have enough of anything to beat the Patriots), but on national TV in prime-time on Thanksgiving, playing for the lives (and Ryan possibly coaching for his job)  it will not be an easy game.

The 49ers may have a long flight out, but the Pats also lose a day of rest going into that game. This is not the second half schedule from last year where the Pats end on an 8-0 run.  I expect that Patriots to go 6-2 (split the Houston-SF back-to-back and one other stumble along the way). At 11-5, they will certainly win the AFC East, but a by will not be a guarantee...

The Broncos have an extremely easy schedule and could easily go 7-1 putting them back ahead of the Patriots despite having lost to them. 

[/QUOTE]

I have New England at Miami as 5.7 point visitor favorites. 

Miami, as a third place finisher in 2011, has already played its two third place teams and split 1-1. They did face Houston in the first half of the season, but they have yet to face Seattle, at San Francisco or two New England games.  They're playing average against average teams.  Losing to lower-ranked Indy at the Lucas Oil dome cemented their #15 NFL power ranking. 

New England will be coming off a 10 day layover after Thanksgiving and that should help. 

In the last three years Miami has been a relatively good road warrior team versus a home softie. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have New England at Miami as 5.7 point visitor favorites. 

Miami, as a third place finisher in 2011, has already played its two third place teams and split 1-1. They did face Houston in the first half of the season, but they have yet to face Seattle, at San Francisco or two New England games.  They're playing average against average teams.  Losing to lower-ranked Indy at the Lucas Oil dome cemented their #15 NFL power ranking. 

New England will be coming off a 10 day layover after Thanksgiving and that should help. 

In the last three years Miami has been a relatively good road warrior team versus a home softie. 

[/QUOTE]

i am shocked beyond words u have the pats favored all the time and in the super bowl...stunned really

[/QUOTE]

Someone else has them in the Super Bowl.  It's always hard enough winning two playoff games against good teams to make it into the Super Bowl.  That said, the Pats have made it five times in 11 years.

Yes, I happen to have the Pats favored in every single game for the rest of the season.  I had Seattle slightly favored last month, and Seattle barely won.  Are non-Seattle fans going to hold that against me?