AFL seeding discussion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

AFL seeding discussion

Yes I know we haven't wrapped up the division and it's still a long way to go but wanted to get some insight on potential AFL seeding

Indy is pretty much set to secure the first seed in AFL barring some meltdown.

Indy 10-0
    Pats 7-3
    Bengals 7-3
    Chargers 7-3 
    Steelers 6-4
    Broncos 6-4
    Jaguars 6-4
    Texans 5-4 (could be 6-4 if they beat Titans today)

First thing to note is that AFC, as usual,  has a ton of competitive teams. Bengals seem likely to win that division after they swept Steelers. And Chargers seem likely to win their division after their 4 game win streak and Broncos 4 game lose streak. Which makes the 4 division winners unlikely to change. 

Chargers play Bengals in a couple of weeks and that will likely determine the tie break between them on who has the upper seeding. How does our schedule and likely end result compare with that of Bengals and Chargers and what is our potential seeding likely to be if we do win the divison. 

I think securing a bye week is really critical for us since we still have a lot of players who are injured but not on IR and are still trying to recover for the late season and playoffs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Re: AFL seeding discussion

I'll leave this thread to other "deep thinkers" who can contribute better than I.  That said, I feel that there is a lot more football to be played that can negatively impact one's position in the standings.  For instance, who could predict the Steelers losing to the Chiefs and getting Big Ben knocked silly?  Will he play next week?  Also, a golden opportunity for the Bengals to pretty much wrap up the divison goes for naught as they blow a game to Oakland, of all teams.  And the Broncos, when will the carnage cease, losers of 4 straight after going 6-0.  So, finally, the Patriots, who amongst us really feels comfortable going into New Orleans and Miami?  It ain't over by a long shot, boys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Its simple.... win out and they get the #2 seed.

As much as I want the Pats to beat New Orleans, if they lose no need to press the panic button.  Because a loss to NO would not effect them as a conference loss so that means that even if Cincy and SD win out (altough one must lose when they play) -- NEw England would still have a better conference record over one of those teams.

Still plenty of football left... If the Pats can beat NO on Monday, and then Miami on Sunday night.... then I think we can get serious about the seeds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

In Response to Re: AFL seeding discussion:
    [QUOTE]Its simple.... win out and they get the #2 seed. As much as I want the Pats to beat New Orleans, if they lose no need to press the panic button.  Because a loss to NO would not effect them as a conference loss so that means that even if Cincy and SD win out (altough one must lose when they play) -- NEw England would still have a better conference record over one of those teams. Still plenty of football left... If the Pats can beat NO on Monday, and then Miami on Sunday night.... then I think we can get serious about the seeds.
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]

I agree, I would like to see them put together a few wins in a row here. They still haven't won a road game. If they can go on the road and win two games back to back we will have a better idea of what to expect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

This is kind of an interesting year in my book. Here is why... Though you have Indy at 10-0 I don't see them much better if at all then the Patriots at 7-3 or even Cincy at 7-3. Only "problem" will be it is obvious if we are going to beat them it will have to be done in Indy.
    Indy fans will read what I am about to say as a homerism but I honestly do not think so... Indy has played a very easy schedule even their toughest game was at home against Patriots. Patriots Schedule is much tougher and to date if Indy had to play a simmilar schedule they would be looking at one or two losses at least. This is subjective I know but look at the number of undefeated teams we have played this year when we played them!
    SO this is how I break the AFC (not AFL) down as of right now:
    1a. Colts (due to record only and I expect they will go 15-1 or 14-2, they'll drop one somewhere)
    1b. Patriots (based on strength of schedule and I think will end up no worse then 11-5 but I still stick to pre-season prediction of 12-4))
    3a. Bengals (11-5 is and has been my prediction) 
    3b. Steelers (could end up dropping significantly, I'm on fence with them 10-6 at best)
    5. Chargers (not sold on Norvus but 11-5 likely)
    6. Texans (I bet they end up 11-5 10-6 at worst)
    7. Jags (10-6 would be suprise I think 9-7 likely)
    8. Broncos (looking at 9-7 I think, but could be worse)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I'm not sold on Cincy yet... they are playing great football and I'll give them their due to some degree... but I could see a 1 & done if they have to host Pittsburgh or something in the playoffs. 

San Diego is on fire and they have a CAKE schedule left... watch out for them!

Jags are a joke as always (BTW, see Jone-Drew make fun of the 4th & 2 on that stupid Mayne St piece ESPN does?)  That will come back to hurt them week 16.

Broncos sorry to say are going to get worse... 6-0 was an awesome start but we all knew they were pretenders and not contenders.

Right now the AFC Elite IMO are:
    1. Colts
    2. Pats
    3. Chargers

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

1-INDY
    2-SD
    3-NE
    4-PIT
    5-CIN
    6-BAL

BAL@NE=NE
    CIN@PIT=PIT

NE@SD=SD
    PIT@INDY=PIT

PIT@SD=SD

SD over MIN in MIA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I wouldn't be so sure Jbolt...

As of recent years New England has OWNED the Chargers in the playoffs whether at home or on the road.

Likewise, the Chargers have OWNED Indy...

Indy seems to have the Pats number as of recent years (sans 2007) so this will be interesting to play out.

Honestly, I would like to see New England take down Inday rather than have the Bolts do it for them... but I will admit I would have a better feeling seeing the Pats play SD in the playoffs than Indy.... 

Note:  How do you have Pitt over Cincy when they lost 2x's to them?? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't be so sure Jbolt... As of recent years New England has OWNED the Chargers in the playoffs whether at home or on the road. Likewise, the Chargers have OWNED Indy... Indy seems to have the Pats number as of recent years (sans 2007) so this will be interesting to play out. Honestly, I would like to see New England take down Inday rather than have the Bolts do it for them... but I will admit I would have a better feeling seeing the Pats play SD in the playoffs than Indy....    Note:  How do you have Pitt over Cincy when they lost 2x's to them?? 
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]

Laundry usually comes out clean in the wash.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TOGAH-2009. Show TOGAH-2009's posts

The Colts have a weak schedule and the Pats have a tough one?  Playing the Bills, Fins, and Jets twice is a powerhouse schedule?  LOL

Who have you played?  More importantly, who have you beaten to earn #2 in your elite power rankings?  LOL  Buffalo? 

Pats will end up 10-6 or 9-7 and might miss the playoffs.  LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

[QUOTE]1-INDY 2-SD 3-NE 4-PIT 5-CIN 6-BAL BAL@NE=NE CIN@PIT=PIT NE@SD=SD PIT@INDY=PIT PIT@SD=SD SD over MIN in MIA
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

I think it will be No over Indy in the superbowl. Indy will beat NE in the AFC championship game and No will clip minnesota.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

1) Indy
    2) SD
    3) NE
    4) Cin
    5) Jax
    6) Pitt

NE over Pitt.

Jax over Cin.

Indy over Jax.
    SD over NE.

Indy over SD (Finally!  There was a time when NE had the Colts' number, so there's hope Indy will get over the SD curse!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Since the AFL has been gone a long time....there won't be any playoffs...lol :)

Just kidding, we know you're talking AFC...

If the season ended today, the Patriots would be seeded 4th...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/6824/dolphins-jets-rooting-for-titans-tonight

1. Indianapolis Colts 10-0 (3-0, 6-0)
    2. Cincinnati Bengals 7-3 (5-0, 5-3)
    3. San Diego Chargers 7-3 (4-1, 5-3)
    4. New England Patriots 7-3 (3-1, 5-3)
    5. Jacksonville Jaguars 6-4 (2-2, 5-2)
    6. Pittsburgh Steelers 6-4 (1-2, 4-3)
    7. Denver Broncos 6-4 (2-1, 5-3)
    8. Houston Texans 5-4 (1-2, 4-3)
    9. Baltimore Ravens 5-5 (2-2, 5-4)
    10. Miami Dolphins 5-5 (3-1, 3-3)
    11. New York Jets 4-6 (1-4, 4-5)
    12. Tennessee Titans 3-6 (1-3, 2-6)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Considering what happened to the Bengals and Steelers this weekend...  this makes for a great discussion thread and some wishful thinking..   yes, JBolt, talking about you.  I guess one year you'll get it right.