A.J. Francis waived, Kline promoted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

A.J. Francis waived, Kline promoted

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: A.J. Francis waived, Kline promoted

Funny after all the excitement some had for Francis when he was signed. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Was going to say the exact same thing, Prolate. Unfortunately the formatting on my phone was being finicky. We as fans need to watch our expectations. I can think of two specific folks off the top of my head who are particularly guilty of hyping up every player (especially defensive ones) who come through here. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from flospanksthespanker. Show flospanksthespanker's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Was going to say the exact same thing, Prolate. Unfortunately the formatting on my phone was being finicky. We as fans need to watch our expectations. I can think of two specific folks off the top of my head who are particularly guilty of hyping up every player (especially defensive ones) who come through here. 

Thought you left for good...just a small mind in an even smaller pride....

Try something better next time you demand attention like a 3 year old having a tantrum.

What a doochenozzle!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Way to many people get excited about UDFA's around here. I know BB is pretty good about finding role players as UDFA's but really he goes through tons every year just to find 1 or 2 that are good enough to stick with the team for a year, more if we're lucky. Thomplkins looks like he might be one that could stick and Sudfeld looks great if he can stay healthy (the only reason he wasn't a day 2 draft pick) but more often than not these waiver and UDFA's are that way because of a lack of talent. The fact that this team has so many UDFA's year in and year out is not a good thing. It shows how bad previous years drafts and FA's were that instead of having positions already filled a fairly large number of UDFA's need to fill those positions. The vast majority of which won't stick on the team longer than a year and the whole song and dance repeats the following year with fans falling over themselves about UDFA's that will be off the team before the next year.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Way to many people get excited about UDFA's around here. I know BB is pretty good about finding role players as UDFA's but really he goes through tons every year just to find 1 or 2 that are good enough to stick with the team for a year, more if we're lucky. Thomplkins looks like he might be one that could stick and Sudfeld looks great if he can stay healthy (the only reason he wasn't a day 2 draft pick) but more often than not these waiver and UDFA's are that way because of a lack of talent. The fact that this team has so many UDFA's year in and year out is not a good thing. It shows how bad previous years drafts and FA's were that instead of having positions already filled a fairly large number of UDFA's need to fill those positions. The vast majority of which won't stick on the team longer than a year and the whole song and dance repeats the following year with fans falling over themselves about UDFA's that will be off the team before the next year.

Couldn't agree more, the truth is most of them are marginal players getting great coaching and being put in the best position to succeed...imagine what Bill could do with better talent?

I do like what I've seen out of Sudfeld and Thompkins, but until they do it in a regular game I'm not going to get too excited. When this team signed Francis one guy went on to say he was one of the best 34 tackles available in the draft (very underrated). Really?? One of the best 34 tackles goes undrafted and then can't make the Dolphin's roster? I mean koolaide tastes good, but some people like to bathe in it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

With busts like A.J Francis it's a wonder we ever win a game. # Bill Belichick is desperate #Need a new GM # No talent hacks

"Defense Wins Championships"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, the truth is most of them are marginal players getting great coaching and being put in the best position to succeed...imagine what Bill could do with better talent?

I do like what I've seen out of Sudfeld and Thompkins, but until they do it in a regular game I'm not going to get too excited. When this team signed Francis one guy went on to say he was one of the best 34 tackles available in the draft (very underrated). Really?? One of the best 34 tackles goes undrafted and then can't make the Dolphin's roster? I mean koolaide tastes good, but some people like to bathe in it.

[/QUOTE]

Imagine if we had real NFL players on our team? We would go undefeated every NFL season. I say, bring in Charlie Casserly, or Matt Millen.

Make sure you don't get too excited about Thompkins or Suddfield, but make sure not to condemn them either, that could be a bad PR move. I love the way your playing this one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

With busts like A.J Francis it's a wonder we ever win a game. # Bill Belichick is desperate #Need a new GM # No talent hacks

True I know you are in an ocean of koolaid man but even you have to admit if they need to be signing players like Francis a week before the season starts then there is a weakness on the team that needs to be addressed. Remember back in the 00-05' years there was no shot we'd need to fill a main backup spot with a waiver UDFA. Heck it was unheard of as 6th and 7th rounds were barely fighting to make it through camp. What's changed from those years to these? The FA pickups aren't as good, the drafting isn't as strong, and suddenly not only depth but talent in that depth has become an issue. There's no denying it at this point. More rooks and UDFA's are making the team now than ever before and that's not because the UDFA's and rooks are better than the ones in those SB years but because there are more holes on the roster for them to fill by the end of camp

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

You guys are right not to expect a guy like Francis to come in and make an immediate impact.  UDFAs rarely do.  I do like him as a prospect, however, and hope that he can clear waivers and sign onto the Practice Squad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

True I know you are in an ocean of koolaid man but even you have to admit if they need to be signing players like Francis a week before the season starts then there is a weakness on the team that needs to be addressed. Remember back in the 00-05' years there was no shot we'd need to fill a main backup spot with a waiver UDFA. Heck it was unheard of as 6th and 7th rounds were barely fighting to make it through camp. What's changed from those years to these? The FA pickups aren't as good, the drafting isn't as strong, and suddenly not only depth but talent in that depth has become an issue. There's no denying it at this point. More rooks and UDFA's are making the team now than ever before and that's not because the UDFA's and rooks are better than the ones in those SB years but because there are more holes on the roster for them to fill by the end of camp

[/QUOTE]

So, it is your position that Bill Belichick suddenly forgot how to acquire talent?

If we had won both of our last SB's would you still feel as you do now?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

And yet the Pats are expected to make it to the playoffs every year and on average make it to the superbowl every two or three years. Hmmm sounds like the GM is really starving the HC of talent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You guys understand Kline could be cut and re-signed three more times before tomorrow's game right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

You guys understand Kline could be cut and re-signed three more times before tomorrow's game right?

Yeah but we can't let an opportunity to rank on BB and the Pats like this go by the boards. Would you pass up a chance like this to show your superior ability at putting together a bettter 53 man roster than BB and the Pats can. And can you believe anyone would get excited about anything that Pats do? That is just dumb!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Anybody else think Francis being waived (probably to the practice squad) and Kline being promoted to the 53 has anything to do with Svitek being out and the team feeling they needed another o-lineman more than a defensive guy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Dreighver what happened to your public declaration of retirment?! Just another look at me, feel sorry for me thread huh? haha Anyways welcome "back"

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Anybody else think Francis being waived (probably to the practice squad) and Kline being promoted to the 53 has anything to do with Svitek being out and the team feeling they needed another o-lineman more than a defensive guy?

No, it has to be because he's another Belichick bust... I'm so sick of it all.

Thank cheebus it's game day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You're getting quite predictable, Champ, with these sarcastic comments.  No one's criticizing Belichick for playing with the bottom of his roster.  The only "mistakes" are those made by the fans who think every guy BB signs (even some guy off of some other team's practice squad) is gonna be a star.  Let's face it, NFL rosters are crowded with JAGs.  That's true for every team in the league.  BB's just trying to get the best possible JAGs at the bottom of his roster.  That's a good thing.  It's just that we fans should try to control our enthusiasm and expectations for these signings because for the most part these guys aren't going to do much.

A. J. Francis may very well be back here . . . and maybe he'll turn out to be a good player some day.  But the guy went undrafted and ended up being cut from the Dolphins roster for a reason.  Just because BB signed him to roster slot 53 doesn't make all those reasons disappear.

The roster remains a bit thin at DT . . . but we were deluding ourselves if we thought A. J. Francis was likely to be the solution to that problem . . . 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats gave injury settlements to Cunningham and Francis, which I believe means they are not IR'd, and able to come back and play for the Pats or any other team. I would have to believe that they are both in the plans.

Also once Svitek is healthy, I have to assume Kline is attempted to be placed on the PS. Kline simply does not have the size, strength or ability (yet) to play at this level. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So, it is your position that Bill Belichick suddenly forgot how to acquire talent?

If we had won both of our last SB's would you still feel as you do now?

[/QUOTE]

Champ, we didn't win those SBs and we had quick and/or embarrassing exits in the playoffs in 2009, 2010, and 2012, and nearly also in 2011. There's a reason this team isn't nearly as competitive in the playoffs as its regular season record suggests it should be.  Sorry, but as I've been saying for years, the reason isn't the playcalling on offense or the QB's "selfish" behaviour or all the other cockamamie ideas some fans come up with. 

It's talent.  Pure and simple.  The team is thin or bad or both at certain positions, and often just one or two injuries away from being mediocre. Does BB do a bad job acquiring talent?  I don't think so.  But the rules are stacked against teams that win a lot and make it hard for teams to hold on to good players without running into cap issues, so good teams like the Pats are always at a disadvantage when trying to acquire talent.  BB does a good job of keeping the team reasonably competitive given all those challenges . . . but he still has had trouble putting a team together with truly dominant talent.  Maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to do that given the rules he has to play by and the vagaries of talent evaluation, but in the end the NFL is a results-driven league and there are no excuses for failing to win.  The fact is, come crunch time, this team has been undermanned and unable to win the biggest games of the year.  It's just a fact.  And there's nothing wrong with being honest about the cause:

Not enough top-end talent that can deliver consistently come playoff time. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

guilty as charged - maybe we see him again  may be noy

Maybe he had the tools but noy the n make up

Matbe he gors back to Miami?

Maybe is on our PS

BB is certainly playing chess to my checkers on the final few spots

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You're getting quite predictable, Champ, with these sarcastic comments.  No one's criticizing Belichick for playing with the bottom of his roster.  The only "mistakes" are those made by the fans who think every guy BB signs (even some guy off of some other team's practice squad) is gonna be a star.  Let's face it, NFL rosters are crowded with JAGs.  That's true for every team in the league.  BB's just trying to get the best possible JAGs at the bottom of his roster.  That's a good thing.  It's just that we fans should try to control our enthusiasm and expectations for these signings because for the most part these guys aren't going to do much.

I don't think Belichick looks at the top and bottom of his roster, he has 53 guys, can only bring 46 gameday players, two more players won't be going to Buffalo with us to play.  I can't remember one game last year where we carried more than three defensive tackles on the gameday roster.  

We really can't get into how many undrafted free agents turn into success stories at this point, there are a lot of guys who only need an opportunity to play, the list of successful UDFA's is endless.  The sarcasm to is preempt what ultimately will turn into a BB bashfest if we don't lampoon the sillyness of it first.  

New Englander's assume the worst, ingrained into us by the Red Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think the excitement is more for the position of need. Where we're weak and we sign a player of that position the expectations go up. See Armestead.

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I don't think Belichick looks at the top and bottom of his roster, he has 53 guys, can only bring 46 gameday players, two more players won't be going to Buffalo with us to play.  I can't remember one game last year where we carried more than three defensive tackles on the gameday roster.  

We really can't get into how many undrafted free agents turn into success stories at this point, there are a lot of guys who only need an opportunity to play, the list of successful UDFA's is endless.  The sarcasm to is preempt what ultimately will turn into a BB bashfest if we don't lampoon the sillyness of it first.  

New Englander's assume the worst, ingrained into us by the Red Sox.

I think what we need to see is whether the back-ups on the line can be effective in rotation.  BB does tend to rotate his D linemen a lot to keep them fresh, so assuming the starters are Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, and Nink (if a four-man line?), then we're going to have see whether the three remaining DLs (Bequette, Buchanan, and Vellano) are effective enough to keep the D linemen fresh. It feels a little thin to me (especially given the inexperience of those back-ups), but I'm also anticipating a lot of formations with only three or maybe even only two DLs.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Imagine if we had real NFL players on our team? We would go undefeated every NFL season. I say, bring in Charlie Casserly, or Matt Millen.

Make sure you don't get too excited about Thompkins or Suddfield, but make sure not to condemn them either, that could be a bad PR move. I love the way your playing this one.

You're right truechamp!! I decided I'm going to get wicked excited! Heck I'm even going to get excited about Fenene sitting home on his couch right now as we sign undrafted guys to fill the spot he couldn't play a year ago. Let me just finish my coffee and I'll see if I can crap out a giant pink Patriot helmet...or a GM of the year trophy (they have those right?).

I really should be excited that we had the best QB in football fall into our laps and he makes us win despite the fact we keep signing guys like Adrain Wilson, but I'll be excited about that tomorrow after he rips through the Bills throwing to guys that otherwise would be working at Taco Bell.