Albert Breer & Hernandez story

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Albert Breer & Hernandez story

I'm new to this board and I don't like complaining but I have to get this off my chest.  I don't know if I'm in the minority here or not but I am a little annoyed at seeing the headline on the Patriots page that "Aaron Hernandez failed a drug test at Florida" for two days now.  I personally don't care if he failed a drug test or tests at Florida just as long as he doesn't fail any here and keeps his head on straight.  I don't know about you guys but I want my Patriots beat writer to get information on the draftees and how they play football or how they fit in with the Patriots.  I don't want him digging into someone's past to see how many times they smoke pot. The part that aggravates me is when the Patriots release a statement about it Breer says "time to do more digging."

I don't know if I missed it or not but I haven't seen much written on Gronkowski or Taylor Price.  I do feel bad for Hernandez because for all we know this all happened over a year or two ago.  He admitted to smoking pot so why keep digging.  I'm not condoning smoking pot by any means but this all seems kind of minor and unnecessary.  I really do miss Mike Reiss on boston.com who actually reported on football.  To me it looks like Breer is headed down the same path as Tomase.  I'm sorry to vent like this guys but I had to say something right or wrong.  I'd love to hear your opinions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Going-the-Distance. Show Going-the-Distance's posts

Re: Albert Breer & Hernandez story

In Response to Albert Breer & Hernandez story:
    I'm new to this board and I don't like complaining but I have to get this off my chest.  I don't know if I'm in the minority here or not but I am a little annoyed at seeing the headline on the Patriots page that "Aaron Hernandez failed a drug test at Florida" for two days now.  I personally don't care if he failed a drug test or tests at Florida just as long as he doesn't fail any here and keeps his head on straight.  I don't know about you guys but I want my Patriots beat writer to get information on the draftees and how they play football or how they fit in with the Patriots.  I don't want him digging into someone's past to see how many times they smoke pot. The part that aggravates me is when the Patriots release a statement about it Breer says "time to do more digging." I don't know if I missed it or not but I haven't seen much written on Gronkowski or Taylor Price.  I do feel bad for Hernandez because for all we know this all happened over a year or two ago.  He admitted to smoking pot so why keep digging.  I'm not condoning smoking pot by any means but this all seems kind of minor and unnecessary.  I really do miss Mike Reiss on boston.com who actually reported on football.  To me it looks like Breer is headed down the same path as Tomase.  I'm sorry to vent like this guys but I had to say something right or wrong.  I'd love to hear your opinions.
    Posted by PatsNut5480

Breer, simply stated, is a clown...nobody cares about this story, except him...it's blatantly obvious that he has an agenda to denigrate this kid and report the salacious rather than actual football-related news, which he clearly doesn't have a grasp of…dude clearly has an agenda against the Patriots and this story perpetuates that assertion…in addition, he's now engaged in further reporting of this story simply to cover his own shoddy journalism skills and vindicate himself…such a callow amateur…the story isn’t about him, but he doesn't seem to understand it...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

There's a lot wrong with what Breer and the Globe are doing with this Hernandez "story," but as it is the off-season and there is very little happening, what you see is what you get. I would have less of a problem with this story if there were any verifiable attribution in it, but this is Albert Breer we're talking about. He is a journalist the way Jennifer Lopez is an actress.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Every since Reiss left the majority of the stories have been negative or non-stories. You'll usually see a couple threads a week similar to yours.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from iambunty. Show iambunty's posts

yea i dont care that he failed drug tests for pot, as long as he still loves to play football it doesn't bother me. You think BB didn't know about this or the inside scoop on it atleast ahead of anyone else? He got the details from meyer and still drafted this kid. Too great potential offensive TE, one that is a beast and will score and block, and one that will control the middle of the field torching LB's even tho he will not be a good blocker.

Its early to say, however great I think the gronski is gonna be I believe will see more production if not TDs from Hernandez b/c of welker not being available the first half of the season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

My beef is with the way Breer has framed the story, using words like "confirmation" when he's referring to rumors.  If someone makes an allegation ("So and so did lots of pot"), and you go back and ask them them a second time, they aren't confirming the allegation--they're repeating it.  Confirmation would be evidence that countered Hernandez's statement, like an NCAA or school official contrdicting Hernandez, documentary evidence, etc.  If Breer had titled the piece "Sources don't back down," that would be been more accurate and much more ethical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nailz. Show Nailz's posts

Breer is terrible, absolutely horrible, but what would you expect, he works for the Globe.

I hope the Pats organization sends a message to this dope.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I understand the whole NFL drug policy thing and what happened with Ricky Williams but correct me if I'm wrong that is the only case I've heard where pot has been an serious issue with an NFL player.  Hernandez hasn't even stepped foot into Foxboro and on the front page of the Patriots page there is an article about him smoking pot for two straight days.  Nice way to welcome someone!  Look I don't know Hernandez but from what I've read he seems like a smart guy and that this won't be an issue.  He told everyone he smoked pot and it's not an issue so why keep digging?  If he ends up getting suspended then write about it.  He wasn't one of the guys who tested positive at the combine.  Brandon Tate tested positive at last years combine and I don't remember a big deal being made about it.  I'm not saying don't report it.  If you feel the need to make a side note about it go ahead but to spend so much time on something so stupid is rediculous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Yeah, I don't like the negative tone of the Globe since Reiss left.  I don't think this is because Reiss left, I do believe the change in editorial direction is why Reiss left.

They are blowing up this story much like they blew up the Moss dogging it story after a bad game last year.  Nonetheless, Hernandez is unfortunately susceptible to being scrutinized.  Even though Breer will not name his sources, Hernandez did miss some games (different seasons) for unknown reasons.  It could have been other disciplinary reasons though.  

I hope Hernandez does real well with us.  I also hope he truly did only come up positive in 1 test.  Why?  As I stated in another thread, it's one thing to risk your job flipping burgers at BK hitting the bong, but risking millions of dollars and a promising career in football to hit the bong is downright senseless.  If he did it once that's excusable.  If he risked it multiple times he lacks maturity, judgment, and general good sense; even if he can play football.  If I had a son who was a promising football player and he risked it all smoking pot, I'd have to give him an old fashioned whooping.  Of course, if he was that good at football, he'd probably whoop my behind for trying to whoop him...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

The issue with the Hernandez story is the lack of information. What if 5 teams say he failed multiple tests, but all got the information from the same source? What if the sources is wrong or is lying? Breer never states who the source(s) is/are.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

All I can picture is Breer frantically typing his story while screaming "you callin' me a liar Belichick -- you callin' Bertie Breer a L-I-A-R"!  I'm all for objectivity, but I think the Globe long ago decided that contrarians are gonna get people reading the newpaper.  Breer and Gasper epitomize this, they're like Debbie Downer #1 and #2.  They don't have the history with covering the Pats to be so cynical so quickly about everything the team does.  So why are the majority of the stories they write negative stories?  Has to be for a reason, it must be a strategy the Globe encourages these days since Mike Reiss left them at the altar.  I'm sure Reiss wanted no part of being a serial complainer.

If you can't get any love or benefit of the doubt from your hometown press, something is amiss.      

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Even Hernandez is upset now refuting the story that he failed "mulitple" drug tests and admitting he did fail one, he's sorry and has moved on.  Way to make the new guy feel welcome!  Personally I think we should treat our new players with a little more courtesy.  Kraft and BB are welcoming him with open arms and putting their trust in him, we should too! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Breer & Hernandez story:
    Even Hernandez is upset now refuting the story that he failed "mulitple" drug tests and admitting he did fail one, he's sorry and has moved on.  Way to make the new guy feel welcome!  Personally I think we should treat our new players with a little more courtesy.  Kraft and BB are welcoming him with open arms and putting their trust in him, we should too! 
    Posted by agill1970

And that's why I have high hopes, even though I think he was senseless for risking a dream career.  BB is friends with his coach.  There is no way BB would have drafted him unless Meyers gave Hernandez a confident thumbs up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

If Albert were to leave I might actually read the articles on here. But, since they stopped citing the author with the headline, you don't know who wrote the piece and I would rather not read any piece then get tricked one more time into reading one of Breer's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

If it makes you feel any better someone created a fake thread yesterday about Breer getting DUI'd. If you're going to read Globe Columns you need to be ready for that kind of "Journalism". It's a nice easy story for them to harp on and then they have lots of free time to go out drinking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I dont see what the problem with smoking weed is anyways, its not like he took roids and got caught the kid went to a party and smoked some weed with his friends who the he// cares? ....Also Patnut might not condone smoking pot but I do! Smoke all the weed you want kiddo just score TDs and run clean routes. I have no problem with smoking weed, if he tested positive for doing coke or crack or something then i would be worried but what college kid doesnt smoke a little weed? So I condone that stuff 100% lol and it clearly didnt hurt his game as he was a beast in college. Also Mike Reiss is a punk who works for ESPN and other then Tedy Bruschi anyone who works for ESPN loses all credibility as ESPN is a tabloid.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

You may condone smoking pot MVP but the NFL doesn't.  Just ask Ricky Williams. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

You people need to give Breer a break. I'm no expert on drugs, but are there not some that make you aggressive, ramble an keep going on an on about something you know absolutely nothing about???  Maybe he should be tested!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

If it makes you feel any better someone created a fake thread yesterday about Breer getting DUI'd. If you're going to read Globe Columns you need to be ready for that kind of "Journalism". It's a nice easy story for them to harp on and then they have lots of free time to go out drinking.
    Posted by ewhite1065

That was me!!  I simply posted about Albert Breer being arrested for a DUI, it wasn't fake at all!  It simply wasn't the Boston Globe's Albert Breer....

I was showing how easily it is to mislead people by presenting information in a sleazy way.  I hate how ESPN AFC East blog now is backing Breer saying he "cited" five sources...  He hasn't cited ANYONE!!  Make someone accountable for this and we can figure out where the lies are coming from...  Right now it is leaning towards sloppy reporting from Breer that he is now trying to spin his way out of rather then accepting responsibility for.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Give breer a break????  hell no...major tool s*cky writer...arrogant...lazy...not overly knowledgable...  you give him a break...I cant wait till hes fired!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

What's really sad about the mud slinging by the author of the article is the kid admitted to using and failing an NCAA drug test,but the author has decide too persacute Hernandez. I find this a sad comment on life.The author of the article has decided to take the low road but that was to be expected.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Breer & Hernandez story : That was me!!  I simply posted about Albert Breer being arrested for a DUI, it wasn't fake at all!  It simply wasn't the Boston Globe's Albert Breer....   I was showing how easily it is to mislead people by presenting information in a sleazy way.  I hate how ESPN AFC East blog now is backing Breer saying he "cited" five sources...  He hasn't cited ANYONE!!  Make someone accountable for this and we can figure out where the lies are coming from...  Right now it is leaning towards sloppy reporting from Breer that he is now trying to spin his way out of rather then accepting responsibility for.
    Posted by Payment84

I'm with you and I could appreciate that thread. These guys sit back in judgement and rip everyone for the smallest things. It would be nice to have someone follow them around for a few years straight and report about their personal habits.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

I would like say that the last sportswriter the Globe had was Will McDonough.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I think the point of all this is who really cares how many times he smoked pot.  Stick with FOOTBALL stories and not questioning how many times a college kid smokes pot.  Trying to dig into his past is a waste of time for such a minor incident.  I will take Aaron Hernandez' word that it will not be a problem for the future.  For all we know it could have happened a year or two ago.  If he screws up again then you can jump all over him and the Patriots. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Breer should find himself a good lawyer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

jcour, they'll never fire him. These people won't pay to hire real knowledgeable, hard working sports writer. That's why I don't spend the time here I use to!!