Alfonzo Dennard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Alfonzo Dennard

In Response to Re: Alfonzo Dennard:
    [QUOTE]Well depends on where u check. If you go on his college teams site, you will find good numbers and if you look at other sites, may be different. Most times I look at the pre draft stuff on guys, the CB's for instance all have similar times. Its either gonna say 4.4, 4.5. You never see a guy with a 4.6 40 time in those press releases. At the combine is most likely the more accurate but was the player nervous?? I dont put much stock into 40 times with CB's, as I would rather have game film tell me and here is why. I played Cb in high school and also ran track. I was probably only the 3rd fastest guy on my track team and I never really timed great but I always killed the 4 by 4 100 meter relay. My fastest 100 meter dash time may have been 12.2 which is  decent but most likely only a low 4.6 in terms of a 40 Now when I played football, I played much faster because the adrenaline rush of chasing down players always made me faster and most people thought I was the fastest guy on the football team. So my point is, some players play fast but dont time fast. I was faster in the relay because i had that fear of being caught. So I am not saying Dennard didnt time well or that he wont succeed at the next level, but judging by his college game speed, I think he will get burned outside if he doesnt have help and continues to get into the face of the WR. It happens all the time. So while I love the pick and want him to succeed, I think expecting him to start is bit premature. Lets see him in preseason first. He has a thick build which is good for jamming, but what about when you miss the jam?? Can he recover against the faster NFL WR's??? I will admit, Revis is the ONE guy who never looks fast on the field but also never loses sight of his man and does this by succesfully reroutting guys and like I said , its possible, but Im not putting on Revis' level yet. I would think he should learn how to play off man a bit better if he wants to succeed in the pros
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

I see that -
    there is a thing called Football speed

I remember a cb by the name: everson walls.
    He wasn't fast but boy could he cover
    He had great hips - Just like Revis does

So once a guy has started running, how good
    is he at turning and accelerating and knowing
    where he is, the ball is and the receiver is.

I have no dog in the fight of where Dennard should play
    But I thought in some ways that a cb playing in the slot
    sometimes had it harder couse he doesn't have
    the sidelines to help him

btw- Reid is a Saftey but he can cover
      Ronnie Lott  was a CB to Saftey who could cover
       Blitz and stop the run

We know that BB doessn't believe in a "cover corner"
    He has to be able to put his nose into
    stop the run. Can Dennard do this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I really like this pick. They landed so many good players on defense this offseason that Dennard almost goes under the radar. I watched him play a few times at Nebraska, didn't have a clue that he would end up on the Patriots but he really stood out as a player. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm on the Dennard bandwagon and I was in Lincoln,NE when BB arrived for the private workout of both Crick and Dennard and from what I heard BB loved them both. In fact the locals where 99 percent sure that Dennard was going to be drafted by the Patriots early in the draft but when his stock dropped he almost became untouchable,untill BB saw the chance to swoop in and steal a first round graded player in the 7th round!!! Shades of TB minus the first round grade in Brady's case!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]See this kid as a potential nickel and dime player. I would not want to press him into starter corner duties just yet. Rookie CBs almost always get burnt. There are exceptions (Deion,Champ, Haynes) , but those exceptions are few and far between. I also want to see who (McCourty?) lands the FS spot before I pencil in the starting CBs. For the record, I want to see Hightower, Jones, and Bequette signed because it's always nice to have a complementary pass rush for the secondary.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

forgot to mention dowling excption. he had no camp and still was exceptional (did not get burnt)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Dowling played what three games ? He missed most of the regular season. Reasonably good, but the exceptions I mentioned were Deion, Champ and Haynes. I'd like to be positive, but I doubt any DB currently on the Pats roster has as good a career as those guys. Even McCourty regressed from his rookie campaign. And I reiterate my long held belief that CB is the most difficult position to transition into outside of QB in the NFL. I still think BB is looking for the players that fit his secondary (Wheatley, two picks for this year, gregory etc...). This could obviously still happen, but there are going to be camp battles (just like always) to see who gets playing time.

I am just as curious to see what BB does with Hightower, Jones and Bequette in the front seven.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Dowling played what three games ? He missed most of the regular season. Reasonably good, but the exceptions I mentioned were Deion, Champ and Haynes. I'd like to be positive, but I doubt any DB currently on the Pats roster has as good a career as those guys. Even McCourty regressed from his rookie campaign. And I reiterate my long held belief that CB is the most difficult position to transition into outside of QB in the NFL. I still think BB is looking for the players that fit his secondary (Wheatley, two picks for this year, gregory etc...). This could obviously still happen, but there are going to be camp battles (just like always) to see who gets playing time. I am just as curious to see what BB does with Hightower, Jones and Bequette in the front seven.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

limited sample size, but it was a miss regarding the comment you made, so i just pointed it out. re ("Rookie CBs almost always get burnt, except Deion,Champ, Haynes").   dowling was a rookie AND with no camp did not get burned.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Apparently, Dennard has his supporters. Here's a nice article on the kid: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7953860/new-england-patriots-draft-pick-alfonzo-dennard-supporters

Here's Mel Kiper's assessment of him:

12. Alfonzo Dennard 5-10 203 Nebraska (S. 4.53) R. 7.5

Background: High School
    – Dennard was an All-Georgia pick as a senior at Wilcox County HS in Rochelle after making 53 tackles and intercepting five passes on defense. He also caught 39 balls for 780 yards and 14 touchdowns on offense and he returned two kickoffs and a punt for scores on special teams. In addition to being a standout on the gridiron, he also played point guard for the basketball team and he was a sprinter and a long jumper for the track team. Freshman – Dennard played in 12 games for the Cornhuskers as a true freshman in 2008. He saw most of his action onspecial teams and he made five tackles on the year and he averaged 18.8 yards on eight kickoff returns. Sophomore Dennard played in all 13 games in 2009, starting the year as a backup before moving into the starting lineup for the final nine games. He had 31 tackles on the year, including four for loss, and he broke up eight passes in coverage and recovered one fumble. He had four tackles, a stop for loss, and a pass deflection in his first career start, vs. Missouri; he broke up two passes and made five tackles, with one coming in the backfield, against Iowa State; and he had six tackles, one TFL, and a pass knockdown in the Oklahoma game. Junior – Dennard started 13 of his 14 appearances in 2010 and he intercepted four passes and broke up seven others to go with 30 total tackles and one forced fumble. He had a pick, two pass breakups, and three tackles vs. South Dakota State; he had an interception and three stops against Kansas; and he made four tackles and forced a fumble in the Colorado game. Senior – This past season, Dennard was a first team All-Big Ten pick, despite missing the first three games of the year with injuries. In the 10 games in which he played, he recorded 31 tackles and six pass breakups. He had four stops each against Wyoming, Northwestern, and Michigan; he had two pass breakups and four tackles at Penn State; and he had two stops with three pass knockdowns in the Michigan State game. Analysis: Dennard did a real good job in 2010 working opposite Price Amukamara, who went in the first round to the Giants last year. A pulled muscle in his leg held Dennard back to start the 2011 season, and then a hip flexor late caused him to miss the Senior Bowl game. In the practices, though, he struggled, getting beaten in coverage and not showing a lot of hip flexibility or a smooth turning motion. Overall, Dennard didn’t have a good senior campaign. When he’s 100 percent, he’s a pretty good player. So you have to try to base your evaluations of his senior year on whether or not he was completely healthy. He lacks ideal height, so he’s built more like a running back than a cornerback, but he has superior leaping ability, so he can play taller than he measures. As a junior, I thought Dennard had an early round grade, but that rating dropped as a senior. Dennard is one of those guys who, if he can revert back to his junior form when he was at full strength, could be a value pick in the draft. *Combine Note: Ran a 4.51, didn’t lift, and had a 37” vertical jump.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Dennard was one of the top three corners in his conference(and faced a number of Q.B.'s who could throw and had guys who could catch it).He has exceptional game speed,which is a combination of physical prowess and the speed of recogniyion of what the offense is doing on every given play.I'm a bit confused by those claiming he isn't a hitter,watch five or six games and you will clearly be impressed with his ability to hit.He is also an effective blitzer when given the opportunity(which,granted wasn't that often)and when called upon to play in the box(which seemed to be more often as his collegiate career advanced)he would stick his nose in there and hit.Had it not been for the arrest about five days before the draft would have been a second or perhaps,at worst,and early third.from his position and head coach at Nebraska have nothing but the best to say about him,and you don't hear the accolades both used about him aren't often heard and was not only a captain but was positive force in the locker-room,in practice and on the field.The Pats got wild-eyed lucky to get him in the seventh and has what it takes to start as a corner and perhaps at safety after he has some time at the position.Just thank the football gods he fell into N.E.'s lap and watch him.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Good analysis Kebbe!  I agree totally. I think the film I watched last year isnt the best indicator as he had that hip flexor but he is def. a baller,. I just think its premature to expect him to leap past Arrington, Dowling, & McCourty? Let the guy make it to camp first. I think he is most valuble to us as a slot CB which is basically still a starter mind you in todays NFL. I love the Pic!
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Here's a scouting report on Dennard. Other than his arrest for assault, what may have turned teams off on him was his poor performance at the Senior Bowl practices, and his weak performance against WR Alshon Jeffery of South Carolina:
    http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012adennard.php

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]     Apparently, Dennard has his supporters. Here's a nice article on the kid: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7953860/new-england-patriots-draft-pick-alfonzo-dennard-supporters      Here's Mel Kiper's assessment of him: 12. Alfonzo Dennard 5-10 203 Nebraska (S. 4.53) R. 7.5 Background: High School – Dennard was an All-Georgia pick as a senior at Wilcox County HS in Rochelle after making 53 tackles  and intercepting five passes on defense. He also caught 39 balls for 780 yards and 14 touchdowns on offense and he returned two kickoffs and a punt for scores on special teams. In addition to being a standout on the gridiron, he also played point guard for the basketball team and he was a sprinter and a long jumper for the track team. Freshman – Dennard played in 12 games for the Cornhuskers as a true freshman in 2008. He saw most of his action on special teams and he made five tackles on the year and he averaged 18.8 yards on eight kickoff returns. Sophomore – Dennard played in all 13 games in 2009, starting the year as a backup before moving into the starting lineup for the final nine games. He had 31 tackles on the year, including four for loss, and he broke up eight passes in coverage and recovered one fumble. He had four tackles, a stop for loss, and a pass deflection in his first career start, vs. Missouri; he broke up two passes and made five tackles, with one coming in the backfield, against Iowa State; and he had six tackles, one TFL, and a pass knockdown in the Oklahoma game. Junior – Dennard started 13 of his 14 appearances in 2010 and he intercepted four passes and broke up seven others to go with 30 total tackles and one forced fumble. He had a pick, two pass breakups, and three tackles vs. South Dakota State; he had an interception and three stops against Kansas; and he made four tackles and forced a fumble in the Colorado game. Senior – This past season, Dennard was a first team All-Big Ten pick, despite missing the first three games of the year with injuries. In the 10 games in which he played, he recorded 31 tackles and six pass breakups. He had four stops each against Wyoming, Northwestern, and Michigan; he had two pass breakups and four tackles at Penn State; and he had two stops with three pass knockdowns in the Michigan State game. Analysis: Dennard did a real good job in 2010 working opposite Price Amukamara, who went in the first round to the Giants last year. A pulled muscle in his leg held Dennard back to start the 2011 season, and then a hip flexor late caused him to miss the Senior Bowl game. In the practices, though, he struggled, getting beaten in coverage and not showing a lot of hip flexibility or a smooth turning motion. Overall, Dennard didn’t have a good senior campaign. When he’s 100 percent, he’s a pretty good player. So you have to try to base your evaluations of his senior year on whether or not he was completely healthy. He lacks ideal height, so he’s built more like a running back than a cornerback, but he has superior leaping ability, so he can play taller than he measures. As a junior, I thought Dennard had an early round grade, but that rating dropped as a senior. Dennard is one of those guys who, if he can revert back to his junior form when he was at full strength, could be a value pick in the draft. *Combine Note: Ran a 4.51, didn’t lift, and had a 37” vertical jump.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

2nd request tex,
     would you mind kindly trippling the size of your text so i can read it easily?
    thanks tex