All-new receiving corps since that ugly playoff loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbdev1234. Show nbdev1234's posts

All-new receiving corps since that ugly playoff loss

Players Gone/Injured who caught a pass or were thrown to: Moss, Aiken, Baker, Watson, Maroney, Faulk.

Returned (missing from that game) or new:  Welker, Hernandez, Gronk, Branch, Green-Ellis, Tate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: All-new receiving corps since that ugly playoff loss

Excellent post.  We only lost one good player ... Faulk.  I got a good feeling about this one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Good post nbdev. Take Moss out of that receiving corps and that's a pretty dismal group, even with Faulk included. Look at what we have now, and while i don't see the downfield deep threat, I see LOTS and LOTS of unpredictability.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Come to think of it, was Moss really that good?  He seemed to be good at only two types of routes:

1.  Deep
    2.  Ultra-quick timing routes to pick up a 1st down or TD.

He wasn't even that good on the deep routes anymore.  So this is like replacing Bethel Johnson with Deion Branch, who can run every route on the field.  Offense should be much, much better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Maybe Moss was traded because he had actually lost a step. Look against NY last week Cromartie covered him and did a good job????????????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbdev1234. Show nbdev1234's posts

Don't get me wrong - Moss is a HOF, no doubt.  And he is still good.  But I think having him there as an option, at his age, doesn't help Brady.  He still gets double-teams and they take him out of the game, then he's mad...then Brady is trying to force the ball to him later in the game, or the next game.  Does Moss hurt us, can we blame not winning or Moss?  No way.  But he is a distraction and not a team-first guy.

Moss = Mercedes.  Great car, but no good to us if we need good MPG or a rugged SUV, right?  And w/o a running game, we need Welker and Branch more.  We had no Welker last January vs. Ravens, and no running game.  

If we run deep routes 5 times a game max, couldn't Tate be almost as effective w/ single-coverage...vs. Moss w/ double-team?  Has anyone else been watching Moss the last 20 games or so...?

I like a 4-man spread of WW, DB, AH, and RG.  That way we can run lots of stunts and off-tackles with RG next to Vollmer.  And AH can run those deep routes - who is on him - a S?  5-man:  we add Tate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Money12. Show J-Money12's posts

In Response to Re: All-new receiving corps since that ugly playoff loss:
    [QUOTE]Maybe Moss was traded because he had actually lost a step. Look against NY last week Cromartie covered him and did a good job????????????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]
    Theres nothing that irritates me more than people who use more than 1 question mark. Are you asking more than one question? No. I think that when people use more than 1 that they think that it makes people notice their question. Or is it simply because your ? key gets stuck?

Back to the Pats. The receiving corps is completely revamped. They wont know what we expect to do without Moss, which gives us the advantage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

[QUOTE]Come to think of it, was Moss really that good?  He seemed to be good at only two types of routes: 1.  Deep 2.  Ultra-quick timing routes to pick up a 1st down or TD. He wasn't even that good on the deep routes anymore.  So this is like replacing Bethel Johnson with Deion Branch, who can run every route on the field.  Offense should be much, much better.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Moss is a luxury that we didn't need.....when you don't have a great run game and the defense is young like ours, we need to control the clock longer.....using Moss you either score fast or 3 and out then the D is back.....

We need to have long sustained drives....Moss can't help with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

that was an easy poll, i was like "who's Baker?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Adding Gronk, Hernandez and Tate was huge.  I shouldn't fast-forward to 2011, but...this franchise has arrows up!  Now, they need to get as much (play-off) experience as possible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Pats lose a great deep threat but regain the style that made Brady so successful: spreading it around.  And look at this receiver corps!  I'm enthusiastic about how this will all come together now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

nbdev, You forgot about Woodhead...the Ravens better not or he's in the end zone...twice is my prediction!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]  I got a good feeling about this one.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Me too, it forces balt to rethink their cover strategies since Moss is gone

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I really think that Moss not only lost a step but he was useless in the running game and very rarely squared up a guy for a block downfield. That said his strength used to be the long ball and even that part of his game has diminished. Good luck to him in Minnesota though and to him thnx for a very exciting season in 08. Now on to the future!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

TheMightyPats - Did you notice when he caught those quick timing routes for a 1st down how fast he went down just like a QB is suppose to when he saw a DB or LB anywhere near him?  

That one time last year I believe when he came across the middle and actually had some great YAC, and everyone thought that was this great play.  It was Jerry RIce's trade mark, and as slow as his 40yd time was, no one ever caught him from behind.  If we had him in 07 instead, he would have found a way to quickly get open, double covered or not, against the Giant blitz and gotten us some yds and maybe even a win. I have watched them closely having moved to SF 30 years ago, and talent wise yes, Moss has height, speed and acrobatic catches, and Rice was like a great centerfielder who always gets back there in perfect position to make a text book catch, ready  to make the perfect throw with no wasted motion.  Rice was always where the ball was and that my friend is what truly great players do, such as this guy named Bill Russell.