All season long a main topic of conversation has been how terrible the Pat's Defense is.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

All season long a main topic of conversation has been how terrible the Pat's Defense is.

However during this same time period, an opposite example is how the main stream media has told us how great the Ravens Defense is.  I have to shake my head. It's funny how the Ravens gave up 26 Points in a Loss to the Titans. They also lost to the JAGUARS on National TV.   They were able to squeak by the Cardinals by 3 points after giving up 27 Points to them.  They gave up 27 Points in a loss to the Seahawks. And Oh BTW, in their latest loss they gave up 34 Points to the Chargers.  

And then there is (according to Fat Rex) the greatest defense of all time in the Jets.  What a CROCK!

In the mean time, the Pats have had a wide reciever playing defense, walk-ons from the street playing defense and according to the pundits, the Patriots can't stop anybody.  Yet the Patriots are 12 and 3 and only need to win Sunday's game against Buffalo to achieve the BEST RECORD IN THE AFC.

And ya I know, "Defense wins Championships" but give me break.  I remember the Super Bowl Loss to the Giants and I'm still feeling a little pain from that one. But let's face it, during the Giants winning touchdown drive, it seemed like Manning was in the defense's grasp for about 2 minutes (nevermind a questionable missed holding call, Samuel misses an interception, and Burress catches the football with his helmut. 

Well you know what, Sh------T happens and it did that night. Sometimes the margin of winning or losing is so fine that it doesn't matter how great a team is. If any one of the above 3 things, went the opposite way, the Patriots have a perfect season.  But it wasn't meant to be.  

The Bottom line is WINNING!  I don't care if Brady is in the "shot-gun" the entire game and the offense passes 70% of the time.  I also don't care if the Defense gives up 21 Points a Game while making every opposing QB look like Joe Montana as long as the Pats score at least one more point then the opposing team.

I just can't help but think that some of us might have become spoiled during the BB/Brady era.   For the majority of time since the Pat's first days of 1960, there have been some spotty years of success with an enormous amount of misery thrown in.  However, there is nothing that can compare to the past 10 Years of a Consistent Outstanding Performance that all Patriot Fans can be proud of.  

I bring up the Ravens and the Jets because all we hear is about how great their defense is but I have to say I wouldn't trade teams under any circumstances.  

Would you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: All season long a main topic of conversation has been how terrible the Pat's Defense is.

The media is focused on the "statistical" horrendousness of the Pats defense and keep drumming that up at their reason the Pats will not make a deep run into the playoffs.  But, as you pointed out, "statistically", the Ravens, Steelers etc.. are better than the Pats and even when these teams give up more points than the Pats may, the pundits point to the statistical total yards given up as their soapbox.  In the end, Wins count and not the stats, otherwise why not simply give the SB trophy to the best "statistical" defense in the NFL?  Why even play the game!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: All season long a main topic of conversation has been how terrible the Pat's Defense is.

In Response to All season long a main topic of conversation has been how terrible the Pat's Defense is.:
    [QUOTE]However during this same time period, an opposite example is how the main stream media has told us how great the Ravens Defense is.  I have to shake my head. It's funny how the Ravens gave up 26 Points in a Loss to the Titans. They also lost to the JAGUARS on National TV.   They were able to squeak by the Cardinals by 3 points after giving up 27 Points to them.  They gave up 27 Points in a loss to the Seahawks. And Oh BTW, in their latest loss they gave up 34 Points to the Chargers.   And then there is (according to Fat Rex) the greatest defense of all time in the Jets.  What a CROCK! In the mean time, the Pats have had a wide reciever playing defense, walk-ons from the street playing defense and according to the pundits, the Patriots can't stop anybody.   Yet the Patriots are 12 and 3 and only need to win Sunday's game against Buffalo to achieve the BEST RECORD IN THE AFC. And ya I know, "Defense wins Championships" but give me break.  I remember the Super Bowl Loss to the Giants and I'm still feeling a little pain from that one. But let's face it, during the Giants winning touchdown drive, it seemed like Manning was in the defense's grasp for about 2 minutes (nevermind a questionable missed holding call, Samuel misses an interception, and Burress catches the football with his helmut.  Well you know what, Sh------T happens and it did that night. Sometimes the margin of winning or losing is so fine that it doesn't matter how great a team is. If any one of the above 3 things, went the opposite way, the Patriots have a perfect season.  But it wasn't meant to be.   The Bottom line is WINNING!  I don't care if Brady is in the "shot-gun" the entire game and the offense passes 70% of the time.  I also don't care if the Defense gives up 21 Points a Game while making every opposing QB look like Joe Montana as long as the Pats score at least one more point then the opposing team. I just can't help but think that some of us might have become spoiled during the BB/Brady era.   For the majority of time since the Pat's first days of 1960, there have been some spotty years of success with an enormous amount of misery thrown in.  However, there is nothing that can compare to the past 10 Years of a Consistent Outstanding Performance that all Patriot Fans can be proud of.   I bring up the Ravens and the Jets because all we hear is about how great their defense is but I have to say I wouldn't trade teams under any circumstances.   Would you?
    Posted by NCPatsFan1971[/QUOTE]

No, I wouldn't; I'm a Pats fan.

That said, I wouldn't mind trading for San Francisco's D! :)

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

And they can continue to suck as long as they give up one less point then our Offense score.

Just please whoever is playing the part of defensive coordinator always have help over the top on DMC's man.....Thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: All season long a main topic of conversation has been how terrible the Pat's Defense is.:
    [QUOTE]whoever is playing the part of defensive coordinator always have help over the top on DMC's man.....Thanks.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I second that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Instead of feeling spoiled, why not just look at why we are winning and be thankful? It's Brady.

The original poster made a good point that winning and losing is really just inches away from each other. To us an inch might not seem like much, but to an offensive coordinator or good QB an inch (or what's perceived as an inch) is absolutely huge. It's what separates a good defense from a bad one, and winning from losing. To the untrained eye a guy that runs a 4.6 and is 200 pounds doesn't look much different from a guy that weighs 210 and runs a 4.5, but to an NFL head coach it's glaring - you don't think coaches don't notice what we have going wrong with some of our personnel on defense?

Quarterbacks like Brady come around once in a lifetime - call me spoiled - but I'm sick of this team building for the future when he's playing right NOW. Tell me how spoiled your going to feel when a team comes into our stadium this January and punches this defense in the face (for the third year in a row), because the people that could of helped cost too much money or the draft trade was too rich.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: All season long a main topic of conversation has been how terrible the Pat's Defense is.:
    [QUOTE]Instead of feeling spoiled, why not just look at why we are winning and be thankful? It's Brady. - but I'm sick of this team building for the future when he's playing right NOW. Tell me how spoiled your going to feel when a team comes into our stadium this January and punches this defense in the face (for the third year in a row), because the people that could of helped cost too much money or the draft trade was too rich.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    Sort of tells the story about Manning and the Colts!  All those years he has been playing at the "best QB of all time" type level and all he may have to show for it is ONE Super Bowl appearance.  The Pats may be better positioned to get Brady a few more SB appearances while Manning may not see another one. Goes to show how difficult it is to get there once, let alone multiple times like Brady has!