Almost fantasy football time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Almost fantasy football time

If you dont like FF you dont have to respond just looking for peoples thoughts on who I should take from a particular group of people:

Frank Gore
    Steven Jackson
    Aaron Rodgers
    Ray Rice
    Larry Fitzgerald

WHO WOULD U SELECT TO START YOUR TEAM?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Almost fantasy football time

Ray Rice, but more than that MJD or Chris Johnson.  I like to stick with RB's for first rounders, WR's are too inconsistent and there isn't much difference between the top 10 QB's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

shenanigan,
    I am in a keeper league. But you dont HAVE to keep someone if that makes sense.... MJD and Johnson will be kept

WR's i dont think are that deep... RB's are stacked all around

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I believe WRs are more important to take in the early rounds.  There's a steep drop off after the top 10-15 WRs.  Good RB value can be found throughout the top 100. Rookie RBs can be a steal if they're in the right situation and get a heavy workload. QBs are also overated early.  You can draft a very good fantasy QB all the way into the middle rounds.  It's just the way the league is right now with passing being the major emphasis.  I noticed this trend a couple years ago and it affected the way I drafted my team, which I won my fantasy league title with.  

I don't remember the specific round/selection, but I think the order of my picks went something like this( I had the 11th overall pick in a 12 team league):

Moss
    T. Owens
    Steve Smith
    Houshmanzadah
    Ronnie Brown
    L. Evans
    P. Rivers
    T. Sheffler
    Chris Johnson
    Steve Slaton

I also remember drafting Aaron Rodgers and Vincent Jackson in the later rounds which was huge value considering TO had a dismal year and Housh was injured most of the year.    Also if you're planning to take a flyer on a young WR, look for guys entering their 3rd or 4th year as this is when you notice a big improvement.  Guys to look out for this year are Devin Thomas, Mario Manningham and Jerome Simpson. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

steven jackson just had back surgery, he should be fine for the start of the season but i think that u shouldnt keep gore or rice since they will get much less touches than last year...
    49ers have a growing passing game and drafted Glenn Coffee last year and continued to search for other backs this draft... Anthony Dixion RB Miss St

same goes with Rice, the ravens passing attack will take up more of his carries and even limit his receptions.  now that Anquan is there, Flacco will rely less on Rice on 3rd down passes
    Fitzgerald is gonna have a new (bad) QB so i expect a drop off there... i would keep Rodgers and either Gore or Rice... and then trade Gore or Rice for someone who would project to have a better season this year than last season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

yeah i am worried about rice with them still have mcgahee and adding a ton of passing options

Gore and Jackson are both good options..... Not sure what I will do

I can keep Gore or select a player who isnt kept

shiningwizard,
    what team is jerome simpson on? sounds familiar but i dont remember what team he is on... and that was an awesome draft

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

I would go with Ray Rice.   However,  This year may be the year to open with a top flight WR.

Moreno in Denver
    Best in Detroit - Smith may miss a large part of the season with knee injury
    Ryan Mathews in San Diego
    McCoy - Philadelphia
    Benn Tate - Houston

I am downgrading Gore this year.  With V. Davis Breaking out last year, and Crabtree with a full training camp this year - The 49ers may open up the passing a bit more and reducing Gore's touches.  Plus, the rookie Dixon may also take a few touches from Gore. 

will be excellent value for young backs that will be in good situations.

My Rule of thumb in FF.  If you pick #5 or higher, look for the best WR in rd 1, because those 1st 5 picks will be the elite RBs.  After that, you are just predicting who may have the big jump in performance like Ray Rice or Chris Johnson in 2009, or choosing between a laundry list of RBs that will give you the same output wether taken with your 1st pick or your 2nd, 3rd or 4th

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

rolltide,
    i totally agree with everything you said... i love those RB's you mentioned too. Kinda feel like WR isnt deep enough and RB is so deep. I may open it up with Moss, Fitz or Wayne

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

In Response to Re: Almost fantasy football time:
    rolltide, i totally agree with everything you said... i love those RB's you mentioned too. Kinda feel like WR isnt deep enough and RB is so deep. I may open it up with Moss, Fitz or Wayne
    Posted by rebels1520

Rebels.  I was in a 12 team league last year and openned with the 8th Pick.  My 1st 3 picks (in order) -  Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, & Dallas Clarke.   My 1st RB selected in Rd #4.  Lost in the league championship.   Although, I must say, getting Matt Schaub as a 6th Rd pick and Joseph Addai in the 5th.   In the meantime, I watched several in my league struggle with the likes of: Matt Forte, Marion Barber, Clinton Portis, LT, Jacobs, willie Parker, & Steve Slayton - all chosen in the 1st 3 Rds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

The winner of my league selected Peyton Manning in round 2 and Aaron Rodgers in round 4... turned Manning and pieces into Fitzgerald and Chris Johnson while keeping Rodgers. He also had Dallas Clark

I want a RB who handles the ball alot but I dont want to reach for one either. I am picking 4th in a keeper league. Teams can elect not to keep a player and then select from the non kept players... I could keep Frank Gore or Randy Moss or have my choice between.... Jackson, Rice, Fitz, Aaron Rodgers. Leaning towards keeping Moss or taking Fitz. Getting a RB in r2 then going back to WR in r3

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

In Response to Re: Almost fantasy football time:
    I believe WRs are more important to take in the early rounds.  There's a steep drop off after the top 10-15 WRs.  Good RB value can be found throughout the top 100. Rookie RBs can be a steal if they're in the right situation and get a heavy workload. QBs are also overated early.  You can draft a very good fantasy QB all the way into the middle rounds.  It's just the way the league is right now with passing being the major emphasis.  I noticed this trend a couple years ago and it affected the way I drafted my team, which I won my fantasy league title with.   I don't remember the specific round/selection, but I think the order of my picks went something like this( I had the 11th overall pick in a 12 team league): Moss T. Owens Steve Smith Houshmanzadah Ronnie Brown L. Evans P. Rivers T. Sheffler Chris Johnson Steve Slaton I also remember drafting Aaron Rodgers and Vincent Jackson in the later rounds which was huge value considering TO had a dismal year and Housh was injured most of the year.    Also if you're planning to take a flyer on a young WR, look for guys entering their 3rd or 4th year as this is when you notice a big improvement.  Guys to look out for this year are Devin Thomas, Mario Manningham and Jerome Simpson. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard

Simpson plays for the Bengals.  He started to emerge last year as a replacement for Housh.  Devin Thomas is the guy I'll be watching in the preseason games.  He could emerge as McNabb's favorite target.  Watching tape of Brian Hoyer in 2007 you saw Thomas catching a lot of passes.  Not coincidently, Hoyer posted his best #'s at MSU that year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

*Sigh*  There shall be no real football until training camp. 

At best, the veterans will come into town for minicamp and we'll see Wes Welker walking but not running, and that's IT for May, June and July.  No changes of opinion at all.  I might post something occasionally, but probably will just shut down for 3 months as a good habit.  Bye guys!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Ray Rice will probably benefit if anything from Baltimore vamping up the passing attack because teams cant necessarily stack the box as much  against Baltimore. I'm keeping rice in my league so perhaps i'm biased. If your in a keeper league and have the option of rice or anybody like MJD AP etc. you should do it, because good fantasy RB will be much harder to find. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Your fantasy girlfriend must really dig you. 
    Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtg5017. Show gtg5017's posts

What guys are you keeping your eyes on as possible "sleeper" picks this year? I'm keeping tabs on the Shonne Greene, Edelman AND WELKER (depending on his timetable he'll drop), Spiller (Edwards refuses to throw farther than 10 yds downfield), Felix Jones, Devin Aromashodu (WR-Chi). Any others? Obviously it's just a small list.

Also, who are you staying away from? (IE:any Jets receiver)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

I think Ryan Matthews is in a great position to succeed in San Diego... he will get the ball early and often. I like him better than Spiller honestly

Edelman should be a steal in most fantasy drafts at WR. I expect 65-70 catches from him and 4-5 TD's

I was very high on Shonne Greene until they brought in LT. Not sure how they divide the carries but LT will get enough to tap into Greene's development a bit

Early Doucet should be a real sleeper at WR... he will slide into the WR spot opposite of Fitzgerald with Breaston in the slot

Lesean McCoy may have a bigger role for the Eagles

and I agree with Shiningwizard about Devin Thomas.... You know McNabb will throw the ball alot

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I feel the balancing of the SF and Baltimore offenses by improvement of the passing game will increase the productivity of Gore and Rice.  Both are decent receivers, and have the ability to score from anywhere on the field.  If your scoring system gives bonuses for big-play TDs, I think you can't give up players like Gore and Rice if they are on your keeper team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

krismk,
    I have Frank Gore on my roster and he is eligible to be kept...If i dont keep him I can select any non-kept player. Rice wont be kept because he was on a team with Adrian Peterson. I think San Fran made improvements to the OLINE to help the success of the running game. Rice has so much around him I just cant imagine his numbers not taking a slight hit