Alternate Draft Scenarios for Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Alternate Draft Scenarios for Patriots

Just for kicks, I thought that it would be interesting to check out how the Patriots' draft scenario would have shaken out, had they not made any trades, and kept their picks. If they had done so, their draft could have gone as follows:

1.) #23: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi: Would likely have been an upgrade over weak link RT, Nick Kaczur...and lowered the insurance premium on the health of QB Tom Brady. Furthermore, might have been the eventual answer to replace LT Matt Light. Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News predicts that Oher will be a Pro-Bowl player;

2.) #34: SS Patrick Chung, Oregon: To replace Rodney Harrison; 

3.) #47.) best CB available, or OG Andy Levitre: To replentish the secondary, or replace RG Stephen Neal;

4.) #58: CB Sharrod Martin, OT William Beatty, DE Alex McGee, or DE Jarron Gilbert. 

5.) #89: WR Brandon Tate (if still available), or TEs Shawn Nelson, Chase Coffman, or Jared Cook.

6.) #97: LB Tyrone McKenzie.     

But...keep in mind that the Pats would not have 2 extra 2nd round picks in 2010. Would it have been worth it to draft guys who could have helped solidify the OL immediately, and better protect Tom Terrific?

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Alternate Draft Scenarios for Patriots

If you whittled it down to one pick per round I could respond. But I don't know where to go with this.

Do they address corner at all?

Going by the first list I would say emphatically no.

Without knowing what these players will become, so my pre-draft evals and  where these players actually go.

Oher (23), Sherrod Martin (59), Levitre (51) and Nelson (121).

or

Butler, Vollmer, Brace and two second rounders next season.

I take NE's draft.

Yours isn't bad, but NE had to do something about the DL this year while they had picks. There isn't a prospect like Brace coming out every season, but guards like Levitre come out every year.

In retrospect on Nelson, I liked him, but it seems no one else did. So taking him a full round higher seems a little reachy.

I never liked Levitre or Oher that much. I love Oher's story, but he isn't a great LT prospect for NE. He seems more of a rush blocker to me.

I am pretty biased I guess because Butler and Brace were two of my guys. I think (as I did before the draft) that Butler and Brace will be great pros, and Martin isn't in the same league as Butler.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

TexasPat3: Though theorizing an imaginary draft is fun take a look at the players in your imaginary draft and compare them to what they actually took:they took Vollmer who was rising up the boards like a rocket as a LT because of his size-while Oher had dropped precipitiously from an early 1rst round pk to a late first rounder and he was being projected as a RT,I think BB and Dante saw Vollmer as the better value with more untapped talent.Chung is a wash. This is where it gets tricky;We trade up from 47 to 41 so we have back to back picks and we get Ron Brace instead of going offensive line and in your scenario with the 4th pick we take Martin but instead we get what should have been a 1rst rd.pk. Butler.Then Tate would be a wash as would Mckenzie and you are right we get 2,2nd rounders next year with BB's selections and we get the guard Olhnberger who BB and Dante preffered instead of Levitre,so the I like your draft had it played out that way,I think we got true value at each of the positions you were concerned about.This was not an overly talented draft but the were a lot of the same level player available from late first round to say mid 4th round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Nice subject Pat.  I think it proves to us further that this was a pretty good draft for the Pats.

Looking at your after draft what I see is Oher in place of Brace and Butler.  I don't know if I would do that.  Not to mention the two draft choices for next year as you pointed out.