Alternatives to Signing Welker longterm

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Alternatives to Signing Welker longterm

This has probably been dicussed over and over already but I personally didnt want to bring it up until after the season was over in order to better evaluate the situation. Wes has been his normal, durable, play making self this year and also has endured another year of hits and age to his body. One thing I did notice is a high amount of drops this year on rather routine catches and im not sure what the reason is. I mean everyone drops balls, but he had too many routine drops if im the Pats GM to consider giving him a boatload of money at his age. Not that he isnt still valuble or needed here but you have to consider upgrading in Bradys final years. Say what you want, but Wes doesnt have any hardware and last year he proved that he isnt really a # 1, go to in the clutch WR because he has weaknesses that cant be overcome. lack of Height and Speed. those are pretty important assets for outside WR's

Sooo, While I would love for him to stay, we need to upgrade because Lloyd can only do so much and we have no other young, promising WRs in our stable like we used to. Edleman is a question mark every week and I would like to see him retained if he comes back on a one year, 1 mill/deal. anything over that is too risky IMO

Greg Jennings is gonna be a free agent but also looking to cash in more than his last contract where he averaged 6.74 mill/year. He may be too pricey for us.

Mike Wallace could be an option but I dont think he is a great fit here where they emphasise route running so much.

Dwayne Bowe is good but not great IMO and he is looking to be paid like one of the greats and dont know how good of a fit he would be.(marginal route runner, more of a moss type with downfield routes)

Danny Amendola's name has been mentioned as the heir apparent to Welker but he isnt as durable and dont know his pricetag but I wouldnt offer him more than 3 mill/year despite his productive season 2 years ago.

Bradys time is running short and we need to make a splash IMO to ensure Brady has a top flight Target for his glory days so he can maximize this offense(Wes moves the chain but has little chance at breaking big plays)

Sooo, I am suggesting that we make a pre-draft Trade with a team going nowhere fast!

Trade our 1st pick plus Ryan Mallet and Jerod Mayo to the Cardinals for Larry Fitzgerald!

Why they would do it?  They have a bunch of do nothing Qbs on the roster who are all average with game management capability but NONE of them are considered capable of being Major league Arm Franchise Qbs and Mallet IS that. Arizona has a slew of good Backers like D. Washington, Sam Acho ,etc but could use a player like Mayo to be the leader and solidy their linebacking squad.

Why we would do it?  We have a nice group of linebackers and have Dane Fletcher returning. Mayo's contract combined with Wilforks is gonna hamstring this defense from making any significant upgrades in the next 3 years and Spikes needs to be re-signed too. I love mayo and he would be missed but since most agree he is mainly a tackler, we could replace most of his production with Fletcher, Spikes, Hightower,etc. We dont have a need for Mallet now and can always grab Cassel again for a backup or Hoyer when he is released by Arizona.

I feel if you are gonna pay Wes, why not pony up just a few million more and get one of the best if not THE best who also plays the slot if you need him too. Faster, Bigger, better hands and has BIg Play Ability. I said NO 2 years ago but after the last 2 seasons, Im sure Larry is wondering if he will ever get to play in a SB again and I think he has made enough to make the choice to want to play for a contender over more money at this point. Just a matter of Arizona Allowing it.

I know this trade probably doesnt work but its just an example of the direction Id like to see them take. If you disagree, just explain why and maybe what you would do. thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Alternatives to Signing Welker longterm

sorry triple but I don't like that trade simply because of Mayo. Mayo has been one of the only stable forces on the D and is a top 10 LB right now. Given D is the weakest link making it weaker isn't the best idea. Yes the O would take a hit but it would take a survivable hit if we lose Welker, however I'm not convinced The D would function the same without Mayo. I'd rather take my chances that between Edelman and Amendola that we can keep one on the field at all times as opposed to hoping Fletcher can fill Mayo's role

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Horrible trade for the Pats.  I like Fitzgerald just fine, but come on...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Mayo is too important to trade away.  Defense is a bigger issue for the Pats than offense right now and while WR is a huge position of necessity that must be addressed in the offseason, you can't do it by weakening a defense that really needs to get stronger. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Triple, while I get your point it is really more like fantasy football thinking. Mayo is a team captain, a defensive leader on a devense that is only JUST beginning to emerge. You want to build that part of the team not siphon it away.

I hope they resign Welker. If we do not I guessd they have some idea of where the money will go and who they might target at WR (in FA, draft or trade). I do not expectg a SPLASH with any FAs in the sense you likely mean. NAME recognition is NOT something to pay for. The best 53 are. FAgency is usually best done by not overpaying and so avoiding the biggest names. The exception to that is when a player with some issues that wants out of where he is is willing to play for one year for less money or two-three years for a SB. The latter would typically be a playerwho can stil contribute but has little time left.

We might have a TE available to trade with Ballard being added to the group. We might consider Vereen as tradable value (I actually like him and hope he remains). We might consider Mallet as trade value but I do not know who would pay for him since he has proven nothing so far. I doubt we trade a major LB, DE or Vinny, or McCourty, or Talib (if we sign him) or Dennard or Wilson. Others maybe but trades are not common here these days with FA playing such a major role.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Usually when a team trades away half their team for one player it works out.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Bartender.....I'll have whatever TripleOG is having! No way in heck do I give up Mayo for a WR! Never mind Mallett and another #1!! And in the playoffs the first time its 3rd and 4 jsut wathc who Brady goes to for the first down. None of your suggested replacements fill WW's shoes.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sorry triple but I don't like that trade simply because of Mayo. Mayo has been one of the only stable forces on the D and is a top 10 LB right now. Given D is the weakest link making it weaker isn't the best idea. Yes the O would take a hit but it would take a survivable hit if we lose Welker, however I'm not convinced The D would function the same without Mayo. I'd rather take my chances that between Edelman and Amendola that we can keep one on the field at all times as opposed to hoping Fletcher can fill Mayo's role

[/QUOTE]

Thats fine, like I said, dont know if this works and mayo doenst have to be the peice but he was the first to come to mind in terms of value and us unloading cap space. Nobody else is that valuble on D outside of Fork and I dont think he is going anywhere. It would be ideal if we could just use pics but I dnt thnk thats enough

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Usually when a team trades away half their team for one player it works out.  

[/QUOTE]

lol !!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Absolutely NOT on Wallace! Horrendous! Guy admits to taking plays off and can only run like 3 routes? Can you imagine Brady trying to work with that overrated WR? lol!

Dwayne Bowe and his alligator arms are also a definite no-no here. Brady's head would explode.

Awful suggestion on Wallace, always has been.  Christ, Torry Holt struggled to get the offense here.

Jennings, Hartline, Earl Bennett if released, Mike THomas (Det) if released.

Each of these above receivers have been around and have been excellent route runners. Personally, I feel Earl Bennett is criminally underrated as is Mike Thomas who was with Jacksonville who had no O Line and no QB, but still managed to produce.

Bennett: With Lovie gone, do they ask him to take a cut to help them with their awful cap position and age on D? 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4718/earl-bennett

Can BB trade for Mike Thomas, maybe a mid rd pick to match what they gave up for him with his buddy Schwartz? They need picks, not above average possesion WRs right now.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Mike-Thomas-is-looking-forward-to-the-offseason-to-truly-learn-the-offense/ce8f4001-b182-4269-b1d9-91b496b519d3

[/QUOTE]

As Usual, Rusty didnt even read the post or just has reading comprehending issues. What I gave was the list of WHO was available. In terms of both Wallace and Bowe, I siad I dont think they are good fits. The Post ONLY EDORSES LARRY FITZGERALD but thx for your input either way.

I know some will see me putting mayo in the trade and think its more hate, but ive seen this defense without Mayo and its not as drastic as say taking out Wilfork. I know we can be better with him, but I also thinkg we are good enough with Spikes, hightower, Fletcher,13' draft pick, free agent, to still do ok. Sure Mayo is ascending but he also has that pricey pricetag going forward and I saw J.Tarpanian making plays in this defense 2 years ago and until Mayos tackles start coming from behind the line of scrimmage,  I dont see him as an irreplacable player like Willis or Lewis. he is very good but one notch below elite IMO

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

tag Wes=$11 million

sign Wes=3/$30 million (maybe)

trade for Larry=8/$120 million (he is 28 years old)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Absolutely NOT on Wallace! Horrendous! Guy admits to taking plays off and can only run like 3 routes? Can you imagine Brady trying to work with that overrated WR? lol!

Dwayne Bowe and his alligator arms are also a definite no-no here. Brady's head would explode.

Awful suggestion on Wallace, always has been.  Christ, Torry Holt struggled to get the offense here.

Each of these above receivers have been around and have been excellent route runners. Personally, I feel Earl Bennett is criminally underrated as is Mike Thomas who was with Jacksonville who had no O Line and no QB, but still managed to produce.

Bennett: With Lovie gone, do they ask him to take a cut to help them with their awful cap position and age on D? 

Can BB trade for Mike Thomas, maybe a mid rd pick to match what they gave up for him with his buddy Schwartz? They need picks, not above average possesion WRs right now.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Mike-Thomas-is-looking-forward-to-the-offseason-to-truly-learn-the-offense/ce8f4001-b182-4269-b1d9-91b496b519d3

[/QUOTE]

As Usual, Rusty didnt even read the post or just has reading comprehending issues. What I gave was the list of WHO was available. In terms of both Wallace and Bowe, I siad I dont think they are good fits. The Post ONLY EDORSES LARRY FITZGERALD but thx for your input either way.

I know some will see me putting mayo in the trade and think its more hate, but ive seen this defense without Mayo and its not as drastic as say taking out Wilfork. I know we can be better with him, but I also thinkg we are good enough with Spikes, hightower, Fletcher,13' draft pick, free agent, to still do ok. Sure Mayo is ascending but he also has that pricey pricetag going forward and I saw J.Tarpanian making plays in this defense 2 years ago and until Mayos tackles start coming from behind the line of scrimmage,  I dont see him as an irreplacable player like Willis or Lewis. he is very good but one notch below elite IMO

[/QUOTE]

Why even discuss who isn't a good fit, though?  You mentioned "alternatives" in the thread title.

If they aren't good fits in your mind (which is a lie because you are obsessed with Wallace, lol, so don't backpedal now), why are you even listing them?

[/QUOTE]'

listen bonehead, either make ur point or move on. Otherwise I'll have to assume you are attempting to ruin another thread by turning this into a dozens game.

I listed alternatives in case someone wanted to share their thoughts and needed to know who was available. I clearly said I dont think he is a good fit and marginal route runner but you are slow to comprehend, this we know. Like I said instead of input, just insults from you as usual.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Triple, while I get your point it is really more like fantasy football thinking. Mayo is a team captain, a defensive leader on a devense that is only JUST beginning to emerge. You want to build that part of the team not siphon it away.

I hope they resign Welker. If we do not I guessd they have some idea of where the money will go and who they might target at WR (in FA, draft or trade). I do not expectg a SPLASH with any FAs in the sense you likely mean. NAME recognition is NOT something to pay for. The best 53 are. FAgency is usually best done by not overpaying and so avoiding the biggest names. The exception to that is when a player with some issues that wants out of where he is is willing to play for one year for less money or two-three years for a SB. The latter would typically be a playerwho can stil contribute but has little time left.

We might have a TE available to trade with Ballard being added to the group. We might consider Vereen as tradable value (I actually like him and hope he remains). We might consider Mallet as trade value but I do not know who would pay for him since he has proven nothing so far. I doubt we trade a major LB, DE or Vinny, or McCourty, or Talib (if we sign him) or Dennard or Wilson. Others maybe but trades are not common here these days with FA playing such a major role.

[/QUOTE]

You think we're going to trade Gronk or Hernandez because we have Ballard? Ain't happening, Porfolio.

They, at best, will offer Welker 9 mil per guaranteed for 2 more years, and that will be it. They may even lower that a bit just to make a point, with Welker simply being misled by his agent this offseason.

Everyone loves Welker, but if we don't win a SB this year WITH Welker, expect them to go in another direction. No offense to an incredible player like Welker, but as an extension of our run game, maybe, just maybe it's become a little comfortable for Brady to seek him out on quick routes, with everyone in the building knowing that's his first read.

Unfortunately for Welker, the majority of the money has gone to Gronk and Hernandez for the same routes he runs.

[/QUOTE]

I agree about fantasy but you have to give up something to get something back and I used Mayo in MY example, doesnt have to be the only trade option. I just figure with ALL the money locked up into 2 TE's who work the middle, how can you afford to pay a 3rd player who also only goes over the middle and expect to put out a decent outside WR?? Branch, gaffney, stallworth are done. We aint getting no rookie WR to produce next year so what else??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

tag Wes=$11 million

[/QUOTE]

for some reason my entire comment did not post? I wrote sign or tag Wes as opposed to trading for Larry...it makes zero financial sense to trade for Larry and that contract

I actually think I would even prefer to lose Wes, and sign another WR, just not Larry and that contract.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats fine, like I said, dont know if this works and mayo doenst have to be the peice but he was the first to come to mind in terms of value and us unloading cap space. Nobody else is that valuble on D outside of Fork and I dont think he is going anywhere. It would be ideal if we could just use pics but I dnt thnk thats enough

[/QUOTE]

But why look at the D for that and why even look at shedding cap space at all? We have plenty of cap space going into next season and even if you add Fitz then the difference between Fitz's salary and the tag for Welker isn't that much so no need to clear space. 

Also Ari just got burned hard getting a backup QB, not sure they would want to do it again. I don't think Mallett is the future Brady replacement and I don't think a lot of teams see him that way either. He has a lot of work to do to even get up to a Bledsoe level. But, even still you trade Mallett you would have to replace him which would mean spending another pick on a QB

The pick is also going to be a late 1st so not a ton of value there either. If you had to put a package together I'd be looking at Mallett (he's better then what they got so he's more a throw in piece to sweeten the pot not a key piece), a 1st this year, a 2nd this year, and a 2nd next year. That might get it done for Ari but, that's too much to give up for a WR so I just don't see anyway you could make it work.

I do like the notion of bringing Bowe in. He isn't a great WR but he's a pretty good #1 WR. There would be a drop off in production but not nearly as drastically as trading Mayo away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

tag Wes=$11 million

[/QUOTE]

for some reason my entire comment did not post? I wrote sign or tag Wes as opposed to trading for Larry...it makes zero financial sense to trade for Larry and that contract

I actually think I would even prefer to lose Wes, and sign another WR, just not Larry and that contract.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. A trade for larry would be only assuming he rips that up and signs for more reasonable money like 10-12 per. Who knows...one can dream! 

Also bringing back Romeo would cure a lot of our defensive issues. Rusty, Im surprised you dont like the trade seeing as you thnk our defense is so great and its always the offense failing in postseason, it seems we need more help for brady , no?

Also let me say again. I am talking about winning SBs! We know Brady can get this offense to 10 wins with a college defense but its postseason that we all wanna see improvement and to this day, Mayo hasnt been a playoff performer so if he getting paid just to play in regular reason, i say we can replace that. if he steps and makes a difference on D this postseason I will be more than happy and drop my gripe with him

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why even discuss who isn't a good fit, though?  You mentioned "alternatives" in the thread title.

If they aren't good fits in your mind (which is a lie because you are obsessed with Wallace, lol, so don't backpedal now), why are you even listing them?

[/QUOTE]'

listen bonehead, either make ur point or move on. Otherwise I'll have to assume you are attempting to ruin another thread by turning this into a dozens game.

I listed alternatives in case someone wanted to share their thoughts and needed to know who was available. I clearly said I dont think he is a good fit and marginal route runner but you are slow to comprehend, this we know. Like I said instead of input, just insults from you as usual.

[/QUOTE]

I made my point. You then took umbrage with them.  Hence, why I responded. I listed 4 WRs, 3 different ones than you, that are actually MUCH better names and fits, which I explained.

I made my points and moved on, but you challenged me.

[/QUOTE]

I know but you listed guys who arent free agents. I do like those names too but im looking for a real upgrade, not just a wes replacement.  Larry plays outside and plays the slot

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

tag Wes=$11 million

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?  How does distributing even more money to the offensive side of the ball even make sense?  Our offense is already a juggernaut with a plethora of weapons; it's just about execution in the playoffs.

It's funny how you harp (rharp) on the D constantly yet you have no idea that the majority of our money goes towards the offensive side of the ball, and now all of a sudden you wanna throw another 120 million to the WR position?  Not gonna happen, dude.

In regards to Welker, I'd love to have him back but you are absolutely NOT going to be giving him 3+ year contract in excess of 22 million.  Nope.  Offer him a 2 year deal worth 16 million and tell him to sign it or leave it.  I love Wes just as much as the next guy, but it's about being wise.  You don't let feelings get involved when you're making business decisions.  If it weren't for Tom Brady and NE, Wes would be unheard of throughout most of the league.  Sign it, Wes.  We love ya, but set the ego aside.  The Pats have helped make your career to what it is today.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But why look at the D for that and why even look at shedding cap space at all? We have plenty of cap space going into next season and even if you add Fitz then the difference between Fitz's salary and the tag for Welker isn't that much so no need to clear space. 

Also Ari just got burned hard getting a backup QB, not sure they would want to do it again. I don't think Mallett is the future Brady replacement and I don't think a lot of teams see him that way either. He has a lot of work to do to even get up to a Bledsoe level. But, even still you trade Mallett you would have to replace him which would mean spending another pick on a QB

The pick is also going to be a late 1st so not a ton of value there either. If you had to put a package together I'd be looking at Mallett (he's better then what they got so he's more a throw in piece to sweeten the pot not a key piece), a 1st this year, a 2nd this year, and a 2nd next year. That might get it done for Ari but, that's too much to give up for a WR so I just don't see anyway you could make it work.

I do like the notion of bringing Bowe in. He isn't a great WR but he's a pretty good #1 WR. There would be a drop off in production but not nearly as drastically as trading Mayo away.

[/QUOTE]

Thats for everyone else to figure out. Im not an expert on how trades work or cap or whatever. Im a football fan so maybe Rusty can help with that. I f we can get Larry with just pics, I would love that and I dont see anyone on offense thats expendable outside of Ballet and he is not superstar. We wouldnt need to draft a Qb because bradys backup dont play, just get Cassel or Hoyer back or anyone..H3ll we had Rohan Davery backing up Brady at one point. I dont like Bowe that much. I figured if I proposed just Mallet and a 1st, that folks would say thats not enough and thats why I threw Mayo in, but really I just wanna get Larry by any means necessary. He has got to want out of there and why not play with Brady and be coached by BB??

maybe you tag n trade Wes?  and dont forget Arizona just drafted a WR high in Floyd who is a nice prospect. Arizona aint doing squat with 15 mill into Larry.