Alternatives to Signing Welker longterm

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Alternatives to Signing Welker longterm

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thats for everyone else to figure out. Im not an expert on how trades work or cap or whatever. Im a football fan so maybe Rusty can help with that. I f we can get Larry with just pics, I would love that and I dont see anyone on offense thats expendable outside of Ballet and he is not superstar. We wouldnt need to draft a Qb because bradys backup dont play, just get Cassel or Hoyer back or anyone..H3ll we had Rohan Davery backing up Brady at one point. I dont like Bowe that much. I figured if I proposed just Mallet and a 1st, that folks would say thats not enough and thats why I threw Mayo in, but really I just wanna get Larry by any means necessary. He has got to want out of there and why not play with Brady and be coached by BB??

[/QUOTE]

What you described is essentially what the Jets did to their team. Picks don't matter and who cares about backups. I hate to put it that way but that really is the Jets FO mentality. The Pats have been successful because they know draft picks have tremendous value, if used properly, and backups do matter.

btw why such a priority on O all of a sudden. Why are you willing to trade the farm away to get a WR who might be only slightly more productive then the O you currently have? When has having the top O won us SB's as opposed to balancing the team (somewhere Babe just cringed) and having a solid D with a solid O?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thats for everyone else to figure out. Im not an expert on how trades work or cap or whatever. Im a football fan so maybe Rusty can help with that. I f we can get Larry with just pics, I would love that and I dont see anyone on offense thats expendable outside of Ballet and he is not superstar. We wouldnt need to draft a Qb because bradys backup dont play, just get Cassel or Hoyer back or anyone..H3ll we had Rohan Davery backing up Brady at one point. I dont like Bowe that much. I figured if I proposed just Mallet and a 1st, that folks would say thats not enough and thats why I threw Mayo in, but really I just wanna get Larry by any means necessary. He has got to want out of there and why not play with Brady and be coached by BB??

[/QUOTE]

What you described is essentially what the Jets did to their team. Picks don't matter and who cares about backups. I hate to put it that way but that really is the Jets FO mentality. The Pats have been successful because they know draft picks have tremendous value, if used properly, and backups do matter.

btw why such a priority on O all of a sudden. Why are you willing to trade the farm away to get a WR who might be only slightly more productive then the O you currently have? When has having the top O won us SB's as opposed to balancing the team (somewhere Babe just cringed) and having a solid D with a solid O?

[/QUOTE]

Well I disagree there because backups DO matter when your starter is Mark Sanchez and when you have Brady, not so much. As for my reason, well my scenario doesnt include Wes Welker and you kind of have to replace someone when theyve caught over 600 balls in the past 5 years.  I dont believe your offense should be more stacked or whatever but in our case is just is. 14 and 17 points in the big game is what i care about and in terms of Defense, I just dont see that much improvement anyways. We know BB is still gonna be mainly a bend but dont break so even if we retain mayo what makes people think the D is gonna be so improved that our offense wont still be winning games. I recall Moss making a HUGE impact on our offense in 07 at age 32. Larry could do the same for Brady and he is only 28.  So I do put value on defense but I dont expect major improvements on a year to year basis. Most likely we get a CB, D-lineman, S maybe a lineman but our D will be the same with just improved players in Hightower, C.Jones, etc. The bottom line is our offense and defense has come up short in the Big Games and Mayo hasnt made ONE play in the postseason since coming into the league by my count because his best year before now was his rookie year in 08 when we didnt make the playoffs. Id love to hear everyone elses plan, this was just my suggestion, The How is anyones guess. Im not a G.M.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Of the big time WRS: Andre, Larry, Calvin, AJ, Dez, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, and Brandon Marshall, how many Super Bowls do they have?

Why do people thing the Pats need these Big, fast, and strong WRs?

There is a reason why Jennings, Mike Wallace and potentially WW will be FA's this season. There is a reason why B Marsh has been traded twice already.

WRs are a luxury. If you're a team like the Packers who drafted Jones, Cobb, Jordy, Jennings or the Giants who found Victor and Hakeem, well good for them.

Vincent Jackson barely imrpoved that Tampa Bay team.

I would rather have three decent WR's than trade/pay QB money for a WR. Until they fill the other holes on the roster, find another role player like Lloyd at WR or draft a WR.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

This team scored 557 points this season. More points than any team by 70 points.

This defense allowed 331. 86 points more than the leading defense.

The defense has more room for improvement and I think the team gets more return on its investment acquiring defensive help than getting another skill player.

Other than QB, the only other position I would give up a lot of draft picks or give a big contract to is an offensive lineman. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of the big time WRS: Andre, Larry, Calvin, AJ, Dez, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, and Brandon Marshall, how many Super Bowls do they have?

There is a reason why Jennings, Mike Wallace and potentially WW will be FA's this season. There is a reason why B Marsh has been traded twice already.

WRs are a luxury. If you're a team like the Packers who drafted Jones, Cobb, Jordy, Jennings or the Giants who found Victor and Hakeem, well good for them.

I would rather have three decent WR's than trade/pay QB money for a WR. Until they fill the other holes on the roster, find another role player like Lloyd at WR or draft a WR.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure why the fascination with WR's either honestly. If they fall into your lap in the draft than great! But, I won't trade away top end players or high picks for them either. Look at the year they got Welker, they traded the 3rd to last pick in the 2nd round for him. Not exactly a high end pick that you could expect to find a starter so it was worth it. But, I would never trade multiple picks that could fetch starters and actually players for a WR.

When it comes to the playoffs and esp the SB it's all about balance not about airing the ball out. It's about controlling the clock, throwing when you can (not forcing), letting the ST's give good field position, and letting the D make plays. If any aspect isn't working than the odds of you over coming it decrease. Why weaken an area just to slightly improve on an area of strength? Makes no sense

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I was hoping we had kicked he tires on Jordan Shipley when he was available.  He made Carson Palmer look better then the bust he really is.  I think he's a little bigger then Welker but a pretty good ba ll player    he's been concussed so that could been a reason. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yep.

I would look at WR, OL it wouldn't hurt to take a look at a legit all purpose FB FA or late rd pick.. Someone who has high football IQ, unless they like this Develin kid of out Brown.

You have to figure Woodhead is gone if they win a SB this year, with Vereen the new Woodhead.  Demps will be in camp and then maybe they can start to develop more of a eye formation scenario more so than they have in recent years.

Other than that, with Ballard coming in, I don't see where the obsession over offense is either.

I'd resign Edelman as a poor man's Welker with GREAT value (he deserves a new deal), and see if you can leverage a Jennings or Hartline in here, or just wait to see if Earl Bennett is released, assuming he balks at his paycut that is likley inevitable.

Other than OL, I'd be looking at S, CB and DL in the draft (and kicker).

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say Woodhead is gone. Vereen still can't do half of what Woodhead does and that's shown in the amount of snaps and trust on 3rd downs and hurry up. Woodhead still has a solid future here imo until Vereen can show he has better hands (imo hasn't yet), is a better pass blocker (he's a horrible pass blocker right now), and can run in the hurry up (hasn't been used in one so who knows). Demps though, I have a strange feeling he might be converted to a WR. Used like Wallace early in his career. A lot of seems routes and down the field post guy. If they want to add a FB though I'd look at Bolden being released. He's been in BB's doghouse since his suspension and hasn't shown the same burst since coming back. I'm wondering if he early success was him or his little helpers.

I love Edelman but he's no Welker. If he could stay health then a poor mans Welker is a fair comparison and I could live with it but he can't even stay healthy. Now if you tell me they get Amendola and Edelman together as a Welker replacement assuming at least one or the other will be healthy week to week I can live with that or even Hartline I could live with the drop in production but Edelman isn't a proper replacement by himself just because you only get a half a season out of him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well that is sort of luck of the draw. Sure its Ideal to draft Jennings in the 2nd round and get all that production before having to pay him but what about when u draft Chad Jackson??  You have to get it back somewhere and while I agree about not needing big play guys, you cant discount the potential magic that comes from pairing 2 H.O.F type players in Larry n' Brady. I mean I just feel there is a lot of money into our TEs who seem to get dinged every year due to over usage and without wes the middle will be easier to lock down and im not sold Lloyd can be that guy over the next couple years once you take Wes out the equation. Cbs will just push Lloyd out of bounds cuz they know he wont come inside.

I disagree about V.Jackson. He did HIS job, its not his fault the team has issues but he only plays WR. He put up 71 catches for 1,384 yards and 8 TDs!  and thats with a regressed Josh Freeman throwing to him. Now I personally didnt want V.Jack here but you cant argue his impact this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep.

I would look at WR, OL it wouldn't hurt to take a look at a legit all purpose FB FA or late rd pick.. Someone who has high football IQ, unless they like this Develin kid of out Brown.

You have to figure Woodhead is gone if they win a SB this year, with Vereen the new Woodhead.  Demps will be in camp and then maybe they can start to develop more of a eye formation scenario more so than they have in recent years.

Other than that, with Ballard coming in, I don't see where the obsession over offense is either.

I'd resign Edelman as a poor man's Welker with GREAT value (he deserves a new deal), and see if you can leverage a Jennings or Hartline in here, or just wait to see if Earl Bennett is released, assuming he balks at his paycut that is likley inevitable.

Other than OL, I'd be looking at S, CB and DL in the draft (and kicker).

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Man, I don't agree that Woodhead will be gone.  He has been a very important piece for our offense on 3rd down this year.  I can think of several big plays he has made to move that chains on what seemed like hopeless 3rd downs (had a huge run & a huge screen pass run on looong 3rd downs vs Den).  I know Vereen is more expolsive, faster, and a 2nd round pick, but I still think Woody has carved out a nice role for himself here.  I say they will have Ridley (obviously), Woodhead, Vereen, and Demps next year with Bolden a "maybe" as a 5th RB if he has a strong camp/preseason.  I do agree that Edelman deserves a new deal next year, but he won't break the bank due to durability concerns.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I disagree about V.Jackson. He did HIS job, its not his fault the team has issues but he only plays WR. He put up 71 catches for 1,384 yards and 8 TDs!  and thats with a regressed Josh Freeman throwing to him. Now I personally didnt want V.Jack here but you cant argue his impact this year.

[/QUOTE]

You answered your own question in the above statement why a WR isn't worth trading the farm for. If available for a reasonable amount it's worth it, but he only plays WR so why pay so much for a guy who is less important in this system than a D captain or even a TE?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Absolutely NOT on Wallace! Horrendous! Guy admits to taking plays off and can only run like 3 routes? Can you imagine Brady trying to work with that overrated WR? lol!

Dwayne Bowe and his alligator arms are also a definite no-no here. Brady's head would explode.

Awful suggestion on Wallace, always has been.  Christ, Torry Holt struggled to get the offense here.

Jennings, Hartline, Earl Bennett if released, Mike THomas (Det) if released.

Each of these above receivers have been around and have been excellent route runners. Personally, I feel Earl Bennett is criminally underrated as is Mike Thomas who was with Jacksonville who had no O Line and no QB, but still managed to produce.

Bennett: With Lovie gone, do they ask him to take a cut to help them with their awful cap position and age on D? 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4718/earl-bennett

Can BB trade for Mike Thomas, maybe a mid rd pick to match what they gave up for him with his buddy Schwartz? They need picks, not above average possesion WRs right now.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Mike-Thomas-is-looking-forward-to-the-offseason-to-truly-learn-the-offense/ce8f4001-b182-4269-b1d9-91b496b519d3

[/QUOTE]

As Usual, Rusty didnt even read the post or just has reading comprehending issues. What I gave was the list of WHO was available. In terms of both Wallace and Bowe, I siad I dont think they are good fits. The Post ONLY EDORSES LARRY FITZGERALD but thx for your input either way.

I know some will see me putting mayo in the trade and think its more hate, but ive seen this defense without Mayo and its not as drastic as say taking out Wilfork. I know we can be better with him, but I also thinkg we are good enough with Spikes, hightower, Fletcher,13' draft pick, free agent, to still do ok. Sure Mayo is ascending but he also has that pricey pricetag going forward and I saw J.Tarpanian making plays in this defense 2 years ago and until Mayos tackles start coming from behind the line of scrimmage,  I dont see him as an irreplacable player like Willis or Lewis. he is very good but one notch below elite IMO

[/QUOTE]

Why even discuss who isn't a good fit, though?  You mentioned "alternatives" in the thread title.

If they aren't good fits in your mind (which is a lie because you are obsessed with Wallace, lol, so don't backpedal now), why are you even listing them?

[/QUOTE]'

listen bonehead, either make ur point or move on. Otherwise I'll have to assume you are attempting to ruin another thread by turning this into a dozens game.

I listed alternatives in case someone wanted to share their thoughts and needed to know who was available. I clearly said I dont think he is a good fit and marginal route runner but you are slow to comprehend, this we know. Like I said instead of input, just insults from you as usual.

[/QUOTE]

I made my point. You then took umbrage with them.  Hence, why I responded. I listed 4 WRs, 3 different ones than you, that are actually MUCH better names and fits, which I explained.

I made my points and moved on, but you challenged me.

[/QUOTE]

I know but you listed guys who arent free agents. I do like those names too but im looking for a real upgrade, not just a wes replacement.  Larry plays outside and plays the slot

[/QUOTE]

Hernandez is the new Welker. BB gave Hernandez Welker's money. He runs 90% of his routes from the slot.

I know Edelman isn't Welker, but does he have to be with Gronk and Hernandez bearing down on Ds? I don't think so, plus I want more running than passing anyway. lol

Brady will be 36 next year, no?  36.

Please adjust and try to see the future. Chasing down the 2007 model will not help us this year or beyond. Let it go.

We need perimter WRs who can work the sidelines. We have a good one in LLoyd. Jennings would be good, Hartline might be cheaper which is even better, but I also think Earl Bennett might get cut from Chicago.

Plus, if you throw in Ballard next year here, how many midfield targets do we need? 

[/QUOTE]

I agree we dont need any more middle guys but just pointed out that Larry can play the slot too but is a legit outside WR. I dont think LLoyd would be doing what he did here if Wes and Gronk werent outside and I like Lloyd as a # 2, he is not a # 1 though. I dont want more passing either, I just want our # 1 to be a real # 1 who can make big plays. our problems in big games is lack of big plays and why Brady wanted to air it out to Gronk in SB 46 because its hard to drive 80 yards every time with 5 yard passes to wes and all. Eventually the defense will hold and THATS why this offense needs more explosive plays to offset the dink and dunking that takes up time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure why the fascination with WR's either honestly. If they fall into your lap in the draft than great! But, I won't trade away top end players or high picks for them either. Look at the year they got Welker, they traded the 3rd to last pick in the 2nd round for him. Not exactly a high end pick that you could expect to find a starter so it was worth it. But, I would never trade multiple picks that could fetch starters and actually players for a WR.

When it comes to the playoffs and esp the SB it's all about balance not about airing the ball out. It's about controlling the clock, throwing when you can (not forcing), letting the ST's give good field position, and letting the D make plays. If any aspect isn't working than the odds of you over coming it decrease. Why weaken an area just to slightly improve on an area of strength? Makes no sense

[/QUOTE]

If wes leaves, who else do you have outside of LLoyd that is signed and can make plays?? dont say edleman.

I get your points but the comparison are bad. I am not an offensive guy and I wanted nothing to do with V.Jack but Larry is a diff. specimen IMO. He is humble enough to maybe lose some money in order to win at this point. A 2nd rounder was a lot for Wes until he actually earned it. I mean besides burning us what had Wes done in Miami outside of punts and kicking FG's on us. You are comparing one of the best in his prime to a unkown slot WR. The Pats made Wes so they shouldnt have gave up much but Larry is established and one of the best in the game without the primadonna attitude that most WRs have. There have up and down reviews of LLoyd and I personally like him but you need more than him and a couple TE's next year

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You answered your own question in the above statement why a WR isn't worth trading the farm for. If available for a reasonable amount it's worth it, but he only plays WR so why pay so much for a guy who is less important in this system than a D captain or even a TE?

[/QUOTE]

not to be so simplistic but what we have hasnt been enough. 2 SB losses sais so. If we are talking about the Bucs thats one thing but the Pats are literally one play away from a Title now in 2 games. maybe you like that, But I dont . Lets be real here. The show is almost over and brady and BB will ride off in the sunset and you think I care what state the team is in at that time in terms of cap??!!! Its gonna be top ten pick time anway. This is why Im suggesting the big move, not because I like offense or enjoy the passing game. I WANT A LOMBARDI!  lol

Like I said, its not like Mayo has made any plays in the postseason for us..He will only be missed in the postseason. IN regular season our offense wins 80% of the games.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Here is the issue for Fitz:

You have to pay him a new deal and considering his status, he's going to command what they won't pay Welker.  Fitz is probably worth the 10 mil, but they'd have to structure it starting in 2015 when they cap goes up, so he'd need to wait 2 more years, if we'd even want to adopt his 2013 and 2014 salaries after the trade.

If Arizona asks for anything higher than a 2nd rder, then they're crazy because of what he would need to be paid.

So, he's actually worth a 1st, but not what the market is for a WR of his caliber. So, this makes him coming here unlikely.

[/QUOTE]

ok, thanks for the info. These are things i dont study and hence why I opened up the discussion. I just know we need an upgrade to the WR position and i dont want to pay that money to wes because we have 2 interior options locked up already. I just dont get how everyone is fine with resigning wes even though we have 2 TEs with max money but noone thnks we need a legit outside guy and that lloyd is a # 1. We should use the $ on a # 1 WR IMO..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

TripleOG, I wouldn't do the trade you suggest, but I don't fault you for thinking out of the box.

In fact, if the roles were a little reversed, it could make sense. What I mean is...let's say Fitzgerald had been a highly productive Pats receiver who was now past 30 years of age, and perhaps too expensive to resign. I could see doing a trade that sent him away and brought a younger Welker to the Pats.

The reason I say this is that Brady is getting older. As a QB ages, I think it's easier to go from a downfield game to a short-yardage game, than the other way around.

The Pats offense is built on pumping out first downs, and Welker is good for 60-70 a year; many of which are difficult first downs (3rd and 8) where Brady is out of time and no one else is open. That is going to be exceptionally hard to replace. So the day Welker goes, a new offensive philosophy will have to be input, because no one does it like Welker.

Quite a few on this board have said in the past that Welker is only this good because he plays with Brady. My response to this is: "Then why don't all other receivers who play with Brady catch 100 passes five times?" I'm sure Wes enjoys playing with Tom, and benefits from it, but he is a stud all on his own.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No way I see it feasible that we give up anything on D to help the O. The D seems to be just starting to become major league. Can't mess with that after too long of a drought of good play from that side of the ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not to be so simplistic but what we have hasnt been enough. 2 SB losses sais so. If we are talking about the Bucs thats one thing but the Pats are literally one play away from a Title now in 2 games. maybe you like that, But I dont . Lets be real here. The show is almost over and brady and BB will ride off in the sunset and you think I care what state the team is in at that time in terms of cap??!!! Its gonna be top ten pick time anway. This is why Im suggesting the big move, not because I like offense or enjoy the passing game. I WANT A LOMBARDI!  lol

Like I said, its not like Mayo has made any plays in the postseason for us..He will only be missed in the postseason. IN regular season our offense wins 80% of the games.

[/QUOTE]

Yes we were one play but who's to say if you take Mayo away that one play doesn't happen on the D side of the field for the other team? Having Moss left us 1 play short so why would Fitz make that difference? If 07' Moss and Fitz aren't good comparisons I don't know what is but we were still 1 play short.

BTW you haven't been watching games if you haven't seen Mayo in the post season. He makes tons of plays most you never notice because he forces the ball to other areas of the field. Without Mayo we could have been easily blown out before even getting to the SB on a number of occassions

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Gee, I dunno....  Maybe 50 less catches a year team wide?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here you go again: Mayo is the leader of the LBs and the back end in a nutshell. He makes the calls is the captain of the LBs and his play doesn't show up on a highlight reel.

PatsEng and others slapped you an TCal on this concept already and I will laugh myself into a coma if Mayo has an INT or some big, game changing plays this postseason, too.

[/QUOTE]

why would you laugh?? I want the same, it just hasnt happened. I would love for him to shut me up, this is what u dont get. I dont have anything personel against any player. The same way you go overboard on Brady Bashing because "he makes the money" and is "captain" is the same reason I hold him accountable and the irony is too much for me. YOu think Mayo is a better postseason performer than Brady??  Ok Mayo makes the calls and wears the greem helmet?  and Nink and Spikes did just a good of job when asked too. I dont want to discount his job but he is just repeating what Matty tells him in his ear , he is not re inventing football or calling his own schemes or plays..