Anatomy of a thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Anatomy of a thread

In response to zbellino's comment:

Really, really simple. 

Start and "Ignore Rusty Pact" thread.

Get people to sign by posting to the thread if they want to. 

Bump the thread so it stays up for weeks. 

Do not break the pact under any circumstances. 

I've seen this work on a camera forum years ago. There was one recalcitrant fan of another camera brand who wouldn't stop arguing in every single thread about how his format was better. It went on for two years until everyone put the guy on ignore after a pact thread.

It worked. People like that NEED someone to argue with ... if everyone stops arguing with them they go away. It's not about football ... it's about them satisfying some social urge. So deny that .... they go away.

If even the mahority of regular posters here put him on ignore, poof, he goes away at least in effect.

I've had him on ignore for a year at the longest. It's tough because he gets booted so often, then occaisonally you'll see something and respond. 

Someone start the thread. I'll respond and sign. 

blog post photo

ur post right here is good enough Z

ok I SIGN!

the only problem is u will eventually have to ignore all of his many aliases

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

[QUOTE]

Really, really simple. 

I've seen this work on a camera forum years ago. There was one recalcitrant fan of another camera brand who wouldn't stop arguing in every single thread about how his format was better. It went on for two years until everyone put the guy on ignore after a pact thread.

It worked. People like that NEED someone to argue with ... if everyone stops arguing with them they go away. It's not about football ... it's about them satisfying some social urge. So deny that .... they go away.

If even the mahority of regular posters here put him on ignore, poof, he goes away at least in effect.

I've had him on ignore for a year at the longest. It's tough because he gets booted so often, then occaisonally you'll see something and respond. 

blog post photo

ur post right here is good enough Z

ok I SIGN!

the only problem is u will eventually have to ignore all of his many aliases

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been doing that for years. 

At any rate, this thread won't do. When it worked it was a thread in CAPS, with a title that was clear about the poster they were talking about. And they bumped it. And people didn't argue in the thread. Some people disagreed, and it was just agreed that if you didn't want to ignore them, then it would be fine. In the end, most everyone joined in. 

It would need to be a concerted effort by everyone. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Really, really simple. 

blog post photo

This really is the only way to truely handle this problem.  But getting everyone, or even most of the posters here to go along with the idea is a battle of it's own.   Either not enough posters will do it or someone will eventually stray from the plan and the next thing we know it's back to the same old madness. 

I'm all for it, I ignored him a little while ago but then he got banned, game back with a new screen name and kept up his garbage.  Seeing his absurd comments again I just couldn't sit idle any longer.  

If we can get enough people to do this then I promise I will control myself and not jump ship.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm certainly not going to get into the business of telling others what they should or should not do on this forum.  Similarly I'm not going to claim that everything I've ever posted in here has been a monument to civility and mature behavior.  That said, I don't like the name calling or the thread hijacking that happens all too frequently but who am I to judge?  What I've begun doing, if for no other reason than my own enjoyment of the forum, is simply not read posts that become personally abusive or take the thread down a negative road.  I try to do this regardless of who is involved in the exchange.  Am I always successful?  Hardly but I am often enough to avoid becoming involved in a pointless exchange that diminishes my enjoyment of the forum. 

A spirited debate on what should or should not have been done or why something is or is not happening with the Pats is something I truly enjoy but I try hard not to make it personal.  It's in that spirit that I'll continue doing what I'm doing. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

This forum has become a joke....people who don't agree with rusty have let him know many times..and vise versa....why fill the  board with threads about rusty? I thought this was a PATRIOTS MESSAGE BOARD....not RUSTY'S MESSAGE BOARD...you guys need to learn how to ignore...or have a ticker skin...I think I'm in the minority here who is not bother by the so called TROLLS on this forum...everyone has the right to express themselves...we wont agree on everything...If rusty wants to blame Brady all the time for the pats failures let him..just move on..ignore it...You guys are acting just like him...only with a different theme....

^this...

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

[QUOTE]

now now achy breaky...lets put our little tete-a-tete in the rearview mirror ok?

Snitchie the Giants Fan
    The Garden State Stoolie
    Sneaky the Weasel

If you ever think about changing your name again, feel free to use any of the above. Youre welcome to them

[/QUOTE]

Ding ding winner folks.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

This forum has become a joke....people who don't agree with rusty have let him know many times..and vise versa....why fill the  board with threads about rusty? I thought this was a PATRIOTS MESSAGE BOARD....not RUSTY'S MESSAGE BOARD...you guys need to learn how to ignore...or have a ticker skin...I think I'm in the minority here who is not bother by the so called TROLLS on this forum...everyone has the right to express themselves...we wont agree on everything...If rusty wants to blame Brady all the time for the pats failures let him..just move on..ignore it...You guys are acting just like him...only with a different theme....

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

Sir, shall this message for Rusty be delivered by hand or electronically? If you deliver by hand you can add flowers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

In response to AcheNot's comment:

now now achy breaky...lets put our little tete-a-tete in the rearview mirror ok?

Snitchie the Giants Fan
    The Garden State Stoolie
    Sneaky the Weasel

If you ever think about changing your name again, feel free to use any of the above. Youre welcome to them

Ding ding winner folks.   

This is Gold Medal type material.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I've seen this work on a camera forum years ago.

Hey Z, not to get Rusty creepy here but with your avatar and mention of camera forum, is photography a hobby or profession for you?  The reason I ask is because there was a time I was interested in HDR photography, gave it a few trys and really couldn't make it work very well and I would like to try it again,  Do you happen to know much about HDR photography?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Hey Z, not to get Rusty creepy here but with your avatar and mention of camera forum, is photography a hobby or profession for you?  The reason I ask is because there was a time I was interested in HDR photography, gave it a few trys and really couldn't make it work very well and I would like to try it again,  Do you happen to know much about HDR photography?

I'm just a hobbieist when it comes to photography, but correct me if i'm wrong.... HDR photography is an after shooting process in a photoshop type program? Blending diffent exposure type shots to get a greater contrast?

I don't have much photoshop skills, i just use light room to make small adjustments... my lens do the bulk of the work for me.  Right now I've been experimenting with time lapse photos.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Really, really simple. 

The Angry Mob!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

People like that NEED someone to argue with ... if everyone stops arguing with them they go away. It's not about football ... it's about them satisfying some social urge. So deny that .... they go away.

This is such a simple concept, but it's dead on accurate. It's a cry a for attention. The more drama for a person like this the better....they feed off of it. Take away the source of energy, and this person will get bored, and leave.....but EVERYONE must sign on.....all he needs is one person to keep feeding him, and he'll stay forever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

I'm just a hobbieist when it comes to photography, but correct me if i'm wrong.... HDR photography is an after shooting process in a photoshop type program? Blending diffent exposure type shots to get a greater contrast?

I don't have much photoshop skills, i just use light room to make small adjustments... my lens do the bulk of the work for me.  Right now I've been experimenting with time lapse photos.

Very cool csylvia79, it's always nice when a few people can get involved in a certain subject so thanks for posting about this.

When I first got involved in HDR images a few years ago the program to use was called Photomatix.  And you could do it one of two ways.  You could try doing it by tone mapping the one Raw image or the correct way but shooting 3 different images, each with different exposure settings (-2, 0, 2) and then use photomatix to combine the three images. A friend of mine could get amazing pictures but I could never get my pictures to come out like his.  His pictures were amazing. 

Now there are many programs out that have a HDR filter with them and you can use only one RAW image, one photo to create a HDR photo but they don't come out nearly as good as shooting 3 different pictures with different exposure settings and then combining them.

I got the trial version of lightroom last year and started messing around with that program.  But then the trial version expired and I haven't worked in it since. 

If you only have to do small adjustments to pictures because you let your lens do all the work then you Sir are probably an amazing photographer and much more advanced then me.  You are doing it properly.  I have to spend countless hours with different software programs to get the pictures to look how I like them. 

I do a lot of sports/action photos and don't have a super fast lens so I shoot everything in Raw format using program mode and then make my adjustments in software.  However, I am going to also start shooting buildings and want to really jump back into HDR images.

Sorry to bore everyone with this who isn't into photography.  Not much going on the photo forum and would be more then willing to move this discussion there if others like csylvia79 and Z will goin me here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know I've tried to just ignore Rusty and just seeing his posts made me want to jump in and defend people (I hate bullies). Then I used the actual ignore button but the problem was I still read his posts when people quoted him and had to fight the urge not to respond back to his attacks (esp on me). Then I stopped going to threads where he hi-jacked them all together, that became an issue when it was literally 60-70% of threads. Just ignoring him meant I had to abandon a large portion of the board that I've been a part of since 05'. It's sad all the great posters we've lost over the last couple of years simply because of hi-jack mud slinging posts being tossed back and forth and the pages upon pages of finger pointing and name calling. I guess for me a thread like this is the only way to vent my frustrations instead of exploding and getting into it with Rusty on other threads, but really I don't want to ruin anothers posters thread getting into it with him. I like Z's idea. If we can just all ignore him, he'll go away and if no one responses to him then it makes it easier on the rest of us because we don't have to have the urge to join in and watch threads go down the sink.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You know I've tried to just ignore Rusty and just seeing his posts made me want to jump in and defend people (I hate bullies). Then I used the actual ignore button but the problem was I still read his posts when people quoted him and had to fight the urge not to respond back to his attacks (esp on me). Then I stopped going to threads where he hi-jacked them all together, that became an issue when it was literally 60-70% of threads. Just ignoring him meant I had to abandon a large portion of the board that I've been a part of since 05'. It's sad all the great posters we've lost over the last couple of years simply because of hi-jack mud slinging posts being tossed back and forth and the pages upon pages of finger pointing and name calling. I guess for me a thread like this is the only way to vent my frustrations instead of exploding and getting into it with Rusty on other threads, but really I don't want to ruin anothers posters thread getting into it with him. I like Z's idea. If we can just all ignore him, he'll go away and if no one responses to him then it makes it easier on the rest of us because we don't have to have the urge to join in and watch threads go down the sink.

Good post, PatsEng! and you pretty much sum up the whole problem.  It seems like he has gotten worse, I don't recall him being this bad last year or the years before this year.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention, I don't know.

But you are correct when you say his nonsense has driven many good and even longtime posters away. And he does take over threads and turning them from a good discussion to huge argument, name calling, put down thread.  He even attacks the very few people who say they don't have a problem with him and the one or two people who seem to have an alliance with him.  He seriously has some issues that he can't seem to get a handle on.

Getting him to cooperate and tone it down a bit isn't working.  Many have asked him to and you would think he would get a hint after being banned so many times but that isn't even working.  We need everyone to step up here and put him on ignore otherwise this place is not going to be an ounce of fun come the start of the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

What up TFB. 

Ha. That's not creepy. A bit OT, but a few posts won't matter. I teach college right now. I only shoot as a hobby, and mostly because I like to travel to different places. I mostly make images of people and landscapes when I have the time. 

I've tried HDR but I'm not big on it. It takes a really skilled post-processor to get the right results, and much more often than not (in my opinion) the results look unnatural or cooked. I've seen some tastefully done HDR images, though, that kind of replicate the dynamic range you could get from skillfully processed black and white negatives.

At any rate, I know a little, because it starts off as bracketing, which is a common landscape technique. If you know or have tried these things before just read past. 

1.) you need mutliple exposures, true, so always use shutter lockup, even once bounce from the mirror is enough to create motion between the frames

2.) Get a heavy, solid tripod, for the same reason. Any movement between the shots will induce variations and even the best deconvolution software will never bring the sharpness of a true frame back.

3.) Get the best software you can (adobe for most) to do the HDR merge

4.) Make sure your PC has tons of RAM, because a full HDR merge creates massive files that can make some stout PCs slog 

6.) Use the same landscape rules you would normally follow (i.e, shoot at the best times, return to the same site, etc, etc.)

I think most people use 5 or more frames (at least they did when I was trying it). I'm not huge on it as a principle: it's a lot of work in PP, and at this stage in my hobby I really just want to capture real, memorable images.

Hey Syl,

I do love time lapse, but only when a scene strikes me that it woul benefit from the treatment, OR you are forced to because of exposure concerns. I don't do a lot of the "milky water" TL photos myself, but have seen some really cool ones.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

Very cool csylvia79, it's always nice when a few people can get involved in a certain subject so thanks for posting about this.

When I first got involved in HDR images a few years ago the program to use was called Photomatix.  And you could do it one of two ways.  You could try doing it by tone mapping the one Raw image or the correct way but shooting 3 different images, each with different exposure settings (-2, 0, 2) and then use photomatix to combine the three images. A friend of mine could get amazing pictures but I could never get my pictures to come out like his.  His pictures were amazing. 

Now there are many programs out that have a HDR filter with them and you can use only one RAW image, one photo to create a HDR photo but they don't come out nearly as good as shooting 3 different pictures with different exposure settings and then combining them.

I got the trial version of lightroom last year and started messing around with that program.  But then the trial version expired and I haven't worked in it since. 

If you only have to do small adjustments to pictures because you let your lens do all the work then you Sir are probably an amazing photographer and much more advanced then me.  You are doing it properly.  I have to spend countless hours with different software programs to get the pictures to look how I like them. 

I do a lot of sports/action photos and don't have a super fast lens so I shoot everything in Raw format using program mode and then make my adjustments in software.  However, I am going to also start shooting buildings and want to really jump back into HDR images.

Sorry to bore everyone with this who isn't into photography.  Not much going on the photo forum and would be more then willing to move this discussion there if others like csylvia79 and Z will goin me here.

[/QUOTE]

That is all solid advice from what I understand about it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Yeah, and it needs to be a dedicated thread. Otherwise, people will miss it. It needs to mention handles. It needs to be bumped at least for a while so people that stray in will know the plan and be able to choose for themselves if they are in. 

I nominate TFB to start it ... he can whip up a funny image and keep it lighthearted, which is important. 

It is worth a try if everyone wants to do it. It can't work worse than everyone getting into piece-meal mudslinging battles with one person (and their small handful of alter egos that "agree" with them) who ruins all the threads with an namecalling backed by an obsessive narrative that is at best loosely based in reality.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Dusty Bottoms' comment:

They can't accept my opinion that Brady must improve for us to win in the postseason again, which is beyond sad and pathetic when you think about it. He's been subpar or mediocre at best, overall, since 2005 or 2007 in the postseason.

This comment is pure gold.  You complain about people not being able to accept your opinion.  Then you state your opinion as a fact and call anyone that disagrees with you "sad and pathetic".  Seems to me you don't like it when people disagree with you either.  And you haven't been banned as many times as you have because of your opinions.  You've been banned because of the way you present them.  Now I happen to think that some of the people you fight with cross the line when they argue with you in a way that is banworthy, but you have much more of a track record of personal attacks and that is why you get banned and they don't.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.