And on to some football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

And on to some football

Camp starts in 2 weeks, what am I looking at?

-will Connolly be on he field and is his shoulder looking ok? Has he been able to work out and keep his size? Related issue, what does Cannon look like, is his weight in check and will he take that next step? I would love to see Cannon force his way into starting at G.

-lots of interest in Ford at camp. Due to the Gronk injury, I was most interested in Sudfield at OTA's and was very impressed. Now that Hern is gone, I am going to keep an eye on Ford. Hern-esque size, has the speed and elusiveness to get in the seams and to get YAC. 

-thought Vareen looked like he gained 15 lbs of muscle when I saw him at OTA's. Did he maintain his speed, and can he get separation on his routes with the added weight?

-what of Bolden? Did he perform pre injury  because of PED's? Didn't see him at OTA's, will he pick up where he left off pre injury? 

-can TWilson and AWilson play well enough to push McCourty back to CB? McCourt and Talib as a CB tandem sounds really intriguing. Would the Wilson's, Gregory as the 3rd and the Rutgers twin be enough at S? McCourt, Talib and Arrington would be the best CB group in the NFL

-I think Hightower surpasses Mayo and Spikes as the teams best LB

-What is Armstead? DE? DT? I hope he shows at camp at 305-310 and still has the quickness we saw from his CFL tape. That would be a really nice rotational situation with Kelly and Vince. If Armstead is 275-280, is he any better than Cunningham? 

-I still really, really like Cunningham, and thought he made great strides last year. If he makes additional strides this year, I think he is a big contributor to this defense

-I really liked Bequette at last years camp. Obviously I missed on him. Are there too many guys ahead of him at his position? As far as simply getting to the passer, Vega can do it better.

-one of the nicer players on the team will not be here this year. Good luck Lovie...not sorry to see Deadrick go, always thought he played below his talent and abilities. 

-did Stallworth sign anywhere? I think he can help this team. 

-put me down for 60 rcpts for Edelman, 800 yards. Hey BB, find someone else to return punts, not Edelman!

-I hope BB can field the team he wants yet keep Cole, Slater and Tarp on special teams. 

-I still see no role for Tebow on this team

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: And on to some football

Good point on Hightower, in all honesty I think he has to make that next step if we are going to improve as a defense. This guy was taken in the first round, Belichick said "we got him" with excitement, it's time for him to make that leap that players sometimes do between their second seasons.

I disagree on Cunningham, I've always not liked him. I thought he was the worst of the outside tweeners that came out of the draft that year and was totally stunned we selected him. I had no idea why we would draft this kid (and so high), well I do now after watching Belichick get duped by Myer out on that fishing boat over beers. I think Cunningham is too stiff to ever be a consistent pass rusher.

Armstead to me is the key to our defensive line and pass rush right, because we didn't draft anybody else and we didn't go out and sign a big name up and coming young guy. I don't think there is a defensive lineman on our team that can move like Armstead at his size...I really don't, and in fact I don't think we've had one that can move like him since Seymore was young. Now can he play in the NFL at a high level? Because that's what he's going to have to do - play at a high level - not easy to do. I don't know what Kelly has left in the tank, I guess it can't be worse than the guys we rolled out there the last two years...or could it?

I think Adrian Wilson will be good until mid November, then his wheels will fall off.

We need Ridley to be healthy because we are going to need him. I wouldn't be shocked if Blount gets a real oppurtunity to make this team, I think this guy does have some talent, but he will be a total waste if he is not motivated (funny how no one talks about this guy's character risk).

I must say I hated last year's free agent signings and I feel the same way about this year's. Everyone called me a troll last year (well rusty and his two friends) and everyone will call me a troll this year - truth is I hope I'm wrong. I really don't understand their philosophy in signing players anymore - once again we had 25 million to spend and we let the best slot receiver in the game go, signed an old returner, signed the most injury prone receiver in football, signed a old safety who got benched last year, signed a old defensive lineman who did nothing last year, signed a receiver who's nickname is molasses.

If you had put all the free agents available on sticky notes and stuck them on a dartboard...let someone blind folded throw at them...we would of gotten similar results.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Agreed!!! It would be a waste of one of those precious 53 spots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Good point on Hightower, in all honesty I think he has to make that next step if we are going to improve as a defense. This guy was taken in the first round, Belichick said "we got him" with excitement, it's time for him to make that leap that players sometimes do between their second seasons.

I disagree on Cunningham, I've always not liked him. I thought he was the worst of the outside tweeners that came out of the draft that year and was totally stunned we selected him. I had no idea why we would draft this kid (and so high), well I do now after watching Belichick get duped by Myer out on that fishing boat over beers. I think Cunningham is too stiff to ever be a consistent pass rusher.

Armstead to me is the key to our defensive line and pass rush right, because we didn't draft anybody else and we didn't go out and sign a big name up and coming young guy. I don't think there is a defensive lineman on our team that can move like Armstead at his size...I really don't, and in fact I don't think we've had one that can move like him since Seymore was young. Now can he play in the NFL at a high level? Because that's what he's going to have to do - play at a high level - not easy to do. I don't know what Kelly has left in the tank, I guess it can't be worse than the guys we rolled out there the last two years...or could it?

I think Adrian Wilson will be good until mid November, then his wheels will fall off.

We need Ridley to be healthy because we are going to need him. I wouldn't be shocked if Blount gets a real oppurtunity to make this team, I think this guy does have some talent, but he will be a total waste if he is not motivated (funny how no one talks about this guy's character risk).

I must say I hated last year's free agent signings and I feel the same way about this year's. Everyone called me a troll last year (well rusty and his two friends) and everyone will call me a troll this year - truth is I hope I'm wrong. I really don't understand their philosophy in signing players anymore - once again we had 25 million to spend and we let the best slot receiver in the game go, signed an old returner, signed the most injury prone receiver in football, signed a old safety who got benched last year, signed a old defensive lineman who did nothing last year, signed a receiver who's nickname is molasses.

If you had put all the free agents available on sticky notes and stuck them on a dartboard...let someone blind folded throw at them...we would of gotten similar results.   

You are wrong! Rusty does not have 2 friends!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

You are wrong! Rusty does not have 2 friends!

True

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Another guy is Chandler Jones (I love this kid), here's a guy that can bend around a corner - he's just so flexible and he's got those long arms and big hands. Pass rusher. If he had a guy playing opposite of him that required any attention he would of had 10 sacks...easy. And if he was just a tick faster he would be an unstoppable force. I'm hoping with a little more strength and a little more help on the other side (Collins?) he will will have a monster year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wilforkfitinham. Show Wilforkfitinham's posts

Didn't McCourt get moved to Safety because after his first break out year he forgot how to play CB?

Tebow could have a role on this team, if he can catch a pass we know he can run and shed defenders, make him a TE with the potential to be a backup QB if need be. We just lost someone who could line up at any position and make an impact, give Tebow a chance to mimic this loss in training camp, if he does well we keep him, if not we boot him, but why not try it so you have a chance to have this critical peice of your offensive attack? Hell if he can line up as a TE, WR, RB, and QB he has a one up on the Dee-Bag I refuse to name anymore.

Stallworth alread signed with someone iirc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Comments are bolded:

-will Connolly be on he field and is his shoulder looking ok? Has he been able to work out and keep his size? Related issue, what does Cannon look like, is his weight in check and will he take that next step? I would love to see Cannon force his way into starting at G.

Agree, I'd like to see what Cannon can do. I expected him to make the RG move last year and fully expect it again this year now that Vollmer is signed up long term and there is T depth behind them. A move to RG makes sense given Connolly's recent injury history

-lots of interest in Ford at camp. Due to the Gronk injury, I was most interested in Sudfield at OTA's and was very impressed. Now that Hern is gone, I am going to keep an eye on Ford. Hern-esque size, has the speed and elusiveness to get in the seams and to get YAC. 

I really like Sudfeld and hope he can make the team. If not for age and injures in college he would have pushed for a top 5, maybe top 3 drafted TE in this years draft. As for Ford, I liked him pre-draft as a possible conversion player so I'm interested to see what he can bring but he's got an up field battle against the other TE's. One thing that might help him is if the WR core isn't very good they might go heavy TE to compensate

-thought Vareen looked like he gained 15 lbs of muscle when I saw him at OTA's. Did he maintain his speed, and can he get separation on his routes with the added weight?

I'm curious if he added the bilk in an attempt to cut down on the injures and what is going to happen to his speed. But, the RB who added bulk that I'm more interested in is Ridley. Ridley was good hitting holes but never really pushed piles. With the added weight can Ridley be more of a Dillion who could pusher the line when needed but hits holes quickly and hard?

-what of Bolden? Did he perform pre injury  because of PED's? Didn't see him at OTA's, will he pick up where he left off pre injury? 

After the PED's he just didn't look like the same runner. Not sure if it was the PEDs or not but he looked JAG at best and it's clear BB lost confidence in him. He has a lot to prove this camp

-can TWilson and AWilson play well enough to push McCourty back to CB? McCourt and Talib as a CB tandem sounds really intriguing. Would the Wilson's, Gregory as the 3rd and the Rutgers twin be enough at S? McCourt, Talib and Arrington would be the best CB group in the NFL

McCourty looks natural in the FS position and imo he played better in that role than any other option we had. He can QB the secondary and it gives him time to break down plays and get in position. These play into his strengths and I wouldn't want to move him to CB. I think you are losing more moving him back to CB from FS than to leave him at FS and take a chance on Ryan or Ras on the outside.

Hightower seems like a sure thing to surpass Spikes as a better overall LB but it's still going to be tough to pass Mayo as the best LB. I do think they might take two separate paths where Hightower might become more of a rushing LB who can drop back in coverage every so often while Mayo will be more in coverage who can rush every so often. One thing to watch is where they line Hightower up on 3rd downs. Could we see him on the edge opposite Jones and move Nink inside?

-What is Armstead? DE? DT? I hope he shows at camp at 305-310 and still has the quickness we saw from his CFL tape. That would be a really nice rotational situation with Kelly and Vince. If Armstead is 275-280, is he any better than Cunningham? 

They are putting a lot of faith into Armstead and Forston. I'm very interested to see what they can bring but the complete lack of depth at DT is worrisome

-I still really, really like Cunningham, and thought he made great strides last year. If he makes additional strides this year, I think he is a big contributor to this defense

I'm not a fan of Cunningham at all. I thought he was on the bubble last preseason and then he looked at least decent as a role player, until he got popped for PEDs. After that he was another player who disappeared without the PEDs. 

-I really liked Bequette at last years camp. Obviously I missed on him. Are there too many guys ahead of him at his position? As far as simply getting to the passer, Vega can do it better.

This is going to be a big year for Bequette. He is either going to take a great step forward or he won't be on the team. Lucky for him there is a lot of young players to compete against so he's got some room for mistakes but as a kid who was thought of to be a more polished player with a low ceiling coming out of college he needs to make strides

-one of the nicer players on the team will not be here this year. Good luck Lovie...not sorry to see Deadrick go, always thought he played below his talent and abilities. 

No thanks, had him for 1 play last year. The guy is just about done

-put me down for 60 rcpts for Edelman, 800 yards. Hey BB, find someone else to return punts, not Edelman!

It's either going to be a big year for Edelman or another IR stint, but same can be said for Amendola. BB is tossing all his chips on the line and is rolling the dice hoping for a big payoff

-I hope BB can field the team he wants yet keep Cole, Slater and Tarp on special teams. 

Way to many STers on the team right now. When a 3rd of your roster is primarily STers first (ie Cole, Slater, Tarp, Washington, Ebner) you D and O suffers. Honestly I've never seen a team carry so many STers before. Yes they are important but not to the extent that they cost valuable depth in other positions like CB which is thin right now

agree

Really for me I'm most interested in seeing how the receiving core looks coming out of camp and how the secondary is shaping up. For the most part I think we know how the front 7 is going to look like and what the OL will be but the real question marks are in the skill positions

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

This is a hypothetical question, I know Malletts trade value has been discussed here before. If some other team has a QB injury early in camp, and offers something valuable (a real NFL ready WR or a CB) for Mallett, would you feel comfortable with Tebow as a backup?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Wilforkfitinham's comment:

Didn't McCourt get moved to Safety because after his first break out year he forgot how to play CB?

Tebow could have a role on this team, if he can catch a pass we know he can run and shed defenders, make him a TE with the potential to be a backup QB if need be. We just lost someone who could line up at any position and make an impact, give Tebow a chance to mimic this loss in training camp, if he does well we keep him, if not we boot him, but why not try it so you have a chance to have this critical peice of your offensive attack? Hell if he can line up as a TE, WR, RB, and QB he has a one up on the Dee-Bag I refuse to name anymore.

hrm... maybe he has better blocking technique

ok so he doesn't understand proper hand placement or leverage or blocking a player to the outside instead of into the person you are trying to protect. But he has to be able to do something correct?

ok... so he does know how to toss his body at a player in a way that will cause him to get injured... hrm yeah not a TE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

This is a hypothetical question, I know Malletts trade value has been discussed here before. If some other team has a QB injury early in camp, and offers something valuable (a real NFL ready WR or a CB) for Mallett, would you feel comfortable with Tebow as a backup?

I think if you can get anything higher than where Mallett was drafted it would be a good deal...weather that's a player or pick. Lets face it, if he's playing the season is probably over. Tebow I think could do some interetesting things as a backup coming in, certainly no worse than others...at least the guy won't be a turnover machine, he may not be ale to complete passes of more than ten yards, but he won't be throwing pick 6's all game either. You would have a chance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

No, but if we lose Brady we lost the season anyways so I would do it for a #2 CB or WR at this point. Charlie Batch is still available over Tebow anyways

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Interesting points made by all with respect to Pats training camp. As an aside, I'm not completely convinced that if we lose Brady we lose the season.  A lot less likely to succeed? Yes.  Throw in the towel? Absolutely not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Quick note on Bolden:  Per Schefter, Brandon Bolden sprained his ankle last winter, was unable to run during offseason programs.

Maybe that's why they brought in Blount?  

RB core:  Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Washington.

Use that vacated RB spot to carry an extra TE (Ford or Sudfeld) or WR (Thompkins, Hawkins or Harrison).  

I, too, think Edelman has a big year IF he can stay healthy.  I know this may sound cliche, but health seems to be the common denominator for this squad this year in relation to its ceiling, as it has been in the past few years.  This is the case with most teams, but I feel like the Pats have the most potential with an injury-free roster.  Just my .02.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I think there are a lot of interesting things too look at in camp. The TE position is going to be a good one especially if Gronk and/or Ballard are not going to be ready to start the season. I know everyone seems super high on Sudfeld because he looked good at OTAs, but I still think a no pads half speed practice is so different from and actually NFL game as to be meaningless. I know he only did something like 11 reps on the bench press at his pro day which is pretty low for a TE so he definitely needs to get stronger (for comparison Gronk did 42 reps and the top TE this year did 31).

I do not think that McCourty will end up back at CB. He played his way out of that position as much as he was needed at FS.

The biggest thing for me on the defense is how the second year guys step up. If Jones and Hightower both take another step the defense will be much improved. If they stagnate, I think the D will have issues. Jones needs to prove his hot start last year was not a fluke (5 sacks in 6 games to start the year - 1 sack in 8 games to end it). Hightower was more consistent over the course of the year at least.

The WR is the other intriguing battle. Again, the rookies are going to need to step up. I would not be surprised if Dobson beats out Edelman as the #2 WR target on this team. He is bigger and faster than Julian. Plus, most of Edleman snaps have come at the slot position in the past and they just signed Amendola to play that position. 

I don't really care who the back up QB is. If they lose Brady to extended injury, I do not think this team will be doing anything.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Im rooting for the hometown kid, Vega. Just found out he like family. My buddies fiance is best friends with his g/f. He was a great athlete here and dude has some intriging size. Not sure his role but he looks the part.  Im interested to see Sudfeld in camp. I think HIghtower is def. ready to step up. Only thing I saw last year is that he was thinking too much and not trusting what he saw making him late to plays and that should improve. Dont know if he will be the best LB. Vareen Needs to be the force we know he can and be consistent and in the lineup every week. Im excited to see the Brady to Amendola connection and what Dobson looks like. I will be looking to see if A.W. can make the same thundering entrance in camp that Rodney did when he arrived and as always will be looking at the secondary very closely to moniter the cohesion. They should have a leg up early in camp due to the returning starters and all the new guys on offense. Brady will be challenged and will not be in midseason form for 1st time in a while with him trying to acclimate with new guys. Look forward to seeing # 12 work his magic as always. I will be in camp monday, July 29th.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If Connelly isn't completely healthy, I could actually see him being a PUP list candidate this year.  I hope not, because I really like him, but if the shoulder is going to be an issue then I could see then PUP listing him in favor of youth.  I also agree that Cannon is close to breaking through as the starting RG.

I too am anxious to see what Ford can bring to the table.  His 2012 film at Clemson was impressive and he does possess a lot of physical similarities to Hernandez.  If he can quickly grasp the offense I could see him beating Fells out for a spot.

I'm very high on Vereen this year.  He could be our most improved offensive player.

Wouldn't suprise me if Bolden is cut in favor of Blount.  Neither guy is a lock.

I would rather keep McCourty at Safety and roll the dice with Dowling/Ryan if Dennard isn't around come Week 1.  McCourty has quickly become a very good FS and I would like to see him continue that role.

I agree that Hightower is likely to make a huge jump going into his second year.  I'm really high on him, too.

Armstead is great unknown.  His size/skillset/position will be of great interest.

I think Cunningham's best role is as an interior pass-rusher.  He is certainly no lock to make the team and needs a good camp.  He will be one to watch closely.

One of Vega or Bequette will probably make the team, but likely not both.  I think they still have high hopes that Bequette can become a Ninkovich-like-player, and I think he will be greatly improved this year.  I think he will make it over Vega.

Didn't lose much in either guy.  I'm sure Love is a great guy, but I bet Fortson can be more productive.

I'll pass.

I like Edelman to have a great year.  I think he stays healthy this year and becomes a key piece of our offense.  I'm torn on having him return punts.  On one hand, he puts his health at risk on every return.  The punt return is the most dangerous play in football, IMO.  On the other hand, he is very elusive and very good at it.  One huge return can be the difference in a game, as can one muffed punt.  I say let him return.  Somebody has to do it.

I like Slater and Cole to make it, but have my doubts about Tarp.  We will see.

Strongly Agree.  There are literally 10-15 bubble guys who I would like to see stick around over Tebow.  He will never develop into a decent NFL caliber passer, IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wilforkfitinham. Show Wilforkfitinham's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

hrm... maybe he has better blocking technique

ok so he doesn't understand proper hand placement or leverage or blocking a player to the outside instead of into the person you are trying to protect. But he has to be able to do something correct?

ok... so he does know how to toss his body at a player in a way that will cause him to get injured... hrm yeah not a TE

[/QUOTE]

OK you honestly do not think someone with athletic ability can not be taught how to do these things by the Patriots staff. Your videos are both humerous but lets not forget he was with the JETS taking part in the biggest circus of the NFL at the time. You really think they invested any time training the guy? I doubt it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am of the belief that assuming health, and competant S play behind him, McCourty could again be a pro bowl CB....I thought he played very well last year, and was moved to S because of the deficiencies at S, not because McCourty was playing poorly at CB

I would also assume his versatility may allow BB to go with 9 DB's rather than 10....thinking that last spot is for another TE or RB....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

OK you honestly do not think someone with athletic ability can not be taught how to do these things by the Patriots staff. Your videos are both humerous but lets not forget he was with the JETS taking part in the biggest circus of the NFL at the time. You really think they invested any time training the guy? I doubt it.

Yes, yes I do. Not everyone who is athletic can do everything on the football field. IE, Edelman is athletic and was actually a QB but I don't have any faith that he can be turned into a starting level QB. Then there are the cases in which the Pats bring in TE's and try to convert them into T's. These guys already have a good base structure on how to block to begin with but failed in being converted to a T and they are athletic too. Just being athletic doesn't mean you can convert to any position. This is the pro's they are all athletic otherwise none of them would be there. It takes years upon years of practice to learn the minor difference that makes one pro great and one pro just a JAG. It can't happen over a single preseason and takes thousands upon thousands upon thousands of reps. Do you believe someone who's never really had to block in his entire life can just step in day one and block the edge against some of the best pass rushers in the league just because he's athletic?

No matter how bad the Jets are, they are still a pro football team who do win games on occassion so they do have a clue what they are doing when training athletes. Not to mention you can't devote a coach to train a single player from the ground up. You are only hurting your team and taking meaningful coaching away from starting caliber players who will make a difference in a game. But, back to the Jets. I'd take the Jets over any college team anyday so lets not pretend they are completely incompetent to train athletes. But, when you are dealing with the top .5% of everyone who's ever played your sport it's all those years learning the tiny things that make the difference not just trying to grasp the basics over 3 months. Otherwise anyone one with an athletic gift (Gholston) could learn any positions with the right training, which as you can plainly see isn't true (Matt Jones QB -> WR ring a bell?).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I am of the belief that assuming health, and competant S play behind him, McCourty could again be a pro bowl CB....I thought he played very well last year, and was moved to S because of the deficiencies at S, not because McCourty was playing poorly at CB

I would also assume his versatility may allow BB to go with 9 DB's rather than 10....thinking that last spot is for another TE or RB....

I remember McCourty being plenty dreadful at CB the last two seasons. One of the reasons that he can succeed as a Free Safety is that the are rarely in one-on-one coverage something McCourty has struggled with since his rookie season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

[QUOTE]

I remember McCourty being plenty dreadful at CB the last two seasons. One of the reasons that he can succeed as a Free Safety is that the are rarely in one-on-one coverage something McCourty has struggled with since his rookie season.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. He graded out very well last year, with most of the miscues and miscommunication being the S revolving door. I have no problem with him at either position, but if Dennerd is out, I like McCourty back there over Arrington. I also have no problem giving Ras a shot