And the New England Patriots Select...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Re: And the New England Patriots Select...

I like Tate but ND had another wide reciver who was a real deep threat don't know what year he is/was but he got hurt I belive last year and this year, I think he was the all-time TD holder for the Irish.  anybody know who he is and if he is coming out this year?

BB will go TE or D-Line man and boy I hope we get another Vince Wilfork a top 12 player who fell to us..... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mord,
    My feeling on Rd 1 differs from most.  I think they're looking to draft who they identify as the best available player regardless of position more than they're trying to fill a specific need. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select...:
    In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : Put on some tape of Golden Tate, that's what he did game after game after game......
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

In College.....much different animal.

We have more holes on D...that is where the focus should be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I just can't see BB taking a WR in the first round. The pats have only done this 3 times in the past 30 years; hart lee dykes in 1989, irving fryar in 1884 and terry glenn in 1996. None of these folks worked out for us. i don;t believe hart-lee ever played a down. he may have been injured in a knife fight with Mrs. Fryar.

BB did take derrick alexander in round 1 for the browns in 1994 and derrick didn't exactly set the world on fire, either.

Yes, we have big needs on D but personally, I'm hoping to find a stud RB  under my draft tree on april 23.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Mord, My feeling on Rd 1 differs from most.  I think they're looking to draft who they identify as the best available player regardless of position more than they're trying to fill a specific need. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I absolutely understand what you are saying and I just dont see WR as that position.  I think even though Tate should be very good, BB gives much higher value to OL and DL.  So unless Tate falls to rd 2, I dont think we will grab him.  If we did, I would not be unhappy, just surprised.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : In College.....much different animal. We have more holes on D...that is where the focus should be.
    Posted by m1021us

The difference between pro and college is a given, it also applies to all positions.  Projecting a player is projecting a player whether it's offense or defense.

This is why BB and his personnel staff are paid a lot of money, they have to be skilled in scouting, identifying, drafting and developing talent to meet their offensive/defensive schemes.

They have a lot of holes on both sides of the ball so I certainly wouldn't lock them into strictly targeting defensive players.  They need to bring in the best talent available regardless of position as all positions outside of QB could use an upgrade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Mordecai you are right about the drafting history of BB he prefers drafting the big uglies because they are easier to transition into the league,it takes a lot longer for a receiver to become fluid in his routes than it does for a guard to learn how too pull in the pros because he's doing the exact same thind against the same type players as he did in College. I still suspect that at some point early in this draft that BB will gamble a pick on a WR it just won't be at #22. Maybe he takes a flier on Jordan Shipley at #54/58 (I'm not sure where their own pick is),also with BB don't count on him picking at #22 especially in this draft which is extremely deep at all positions across the board. After reading the entire draft class and their respective rankings according to Scouts Inc.com,I was able to find quality players out as far as #290 so there are guys who are going to fall into BB's drafting lap,meaning he might trade down yet again this year and try and corner the 2nd round market or at least move back to the late 20's and acquire a 3rd rounder as compensation for doing so. I'm pretty sure there will be teams trying too load up in this draft..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

... anything but no TE in the first round, please!!!

In NE, TEs are just used as a 6th offensive lineman. Please no more Graham, Watson, Thomas (to a lesser extend)...
    BB wants Superman as TE but someone should tell him that the guy doesn't exist.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

@ Froglegs,
    Superman doesn't exist?? Then who is this...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

@ Froglegs, Superman doesn't exist?? Then who is this...

Since when Superman is wearing a helmet? Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : The difference between pro and college is a given, it also applies to all positions.  Projecting a player is projecting a player whether it's offense or defense. This is why BB and his personnel staff are paid a lot of money, they have to be skilled in scouting, identifying, drafting and developing talent to meet their offensive/defensive schemes. They have a lot of holes on both sides of the ball so I certainly wouldn't lock them into strictly targeting defensive players.  They need to bring in the best talent available regardless of position as all positions outside of QB could use an upgrade.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

So how has his evaluation of WR's been thus far?  Not so good.....I would like for him to stick to what he does know...defense.  And find a suitable 3rd free agent WR at a cheaper price than a rookie drafted in the first round.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ipats. Show ipats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : So how has his evaluation of WR's been thus far?  Not so good.....I would like for him to stick to what he does know...defense.  And find a suitable 3rd free agent WR at a cheaper price than a rookie drafted in the first round.
    Posted by m1021us[/QUOTE]

BB has certainly had some flops at WR but he has had some good ones too. Branch and Givens, flipping picks for Moss and Welker, pulling Gaffney off the street...The guys who flopped (Jackson, Johnson, Sam) never grasped the offense. In Tate you have a guy who pretty much knows the offense and terminology walking thru the door.  He has the potential to make an immediate impact and fill a special teams void that will exist until Welker gets back.

The pass rush is certainly a huge priority and defense is BB's strength, but when has he ever picked an OLB in the draft?  He prefers to sign/trade those guys. Last year in a similar situation, traded out of the first round and never addressed that need in the draft.  I would love to see him do so if the right guy is there, but there is no evidence from the past that he will.  It is what it is-LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Did everyone see how the Saints beat the Colts? By playing a 3-3-5D. The NFL is now a passing league so how will that affect their drafting strategy - dl, olb, cb?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'll go with the following for the first two rounds.

1. Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
    2. Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
        Johnathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
        Aaron Hernandez TE Florida

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from papifan111. Show papifan111's posts

it will be interesting to see who they target in free agency and maybe they should go after Dunta Robinson instead of resigning bodden...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : So how has his evaluation of WR's been thus far?  Not so good.....I would like for him to stick to what he does know...defense.  And find a suitable 3rd free agent WR at a cheaper price than a rookie drafted in the first round.
    Posted by m1021us

I don't think he's done that bad, missed on Jackson (rd 2), Sam (rd 5) and though he made some big plays to help NE win some games Bethel Johnson (rd 2) was a miss.

Hits: Branch (rd 2) and Givens (rd 7) were big parts of Super Bowl Championship teams.  Edelman (rd 7), he's still young and can be considered a WIP, but he's progressed to the point where he appears to be atleast an adequate replacement for WW while he recovers from Injury.

Jury is still out on Brandon Tate

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Even if Tate is a product of the system he is still coming a similar system.  With that been said I don't think this guy is a system guy.  If you watch ND games he would adjust to the ball and help Clausen look better than he is.  The kid has very good hands speed and ups.

He is a matchup nightmare, because of moss and edelman you can line him up anywhere and create a matchup.  You can only put a safety over the top of two guys. 

I personally don't have offense been drafted with the first 5 picks but I'm also not against getting him.  You also have the other B. Tate if healthy I would love to see a 4 man set with Moss B tate, G tate and Edelman you add Faulk in the back field and who does a d cover?  add McClouster and this is a nightmare for teams.

The problem I come back to is, does the OL give Brady enough time to use his weapons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQaUdZrET8

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : I don't think he's done that bad, missed on Jackson (rd 2), Sam (rd 5) and though he made some big plays to help NE win some games Bethel Johnson (rd 2) was a miss. Hits: Branch (rd 2) and Givens (rd 7) were big parts of Super Bowl Championship teams.  Edelman (rd 7), he's still young and can be considered a WIP, but he's progressed to the point where he appears to be atleast an adequate replacement for WW while he recovers from Injury. Jury is still out on Brandon Tate
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

So he picked Branch in the 2nd round when they didn't have any really good WR's (other than Brown).....and he has hit better in the 7th round.....that is where I would rather have him draft a WR especially if he is our #3......If we were looking for a #1 WR, then I would be ok with selecting one in the first round.  But we have a #1.

And we still have Tate and Welker(possibly late in the season) eventually coming back.....how many WR's do you want?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : So he picked Branch in the 2nd round when they didn't have any really good WR's (other than Brown).....and he has hit better in the 7th round.....that is where I would rather have him draft a WR especially if he is our #3......If we were looking for a #1 WR, then I would be ok with selecting one in the first round.  But we have a #1. And we still have Tate and Welker(possibly late in the season) eventually coming back.....how many WR's do you want?
    Posted by m1021us

And what are you doing with the #1 receiver following the 2010 season?  His contract is up, you throwing another contract at a then 34 year old, to be your #1?  I'd rather get his eventual replacement in the system now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : And what are you doing with the #1 receiver following the 2010 season?  His contract is up, you throwing another contract at a then 34 year old, to be your #1?  I'd rather get his eventual replacement in the system now.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

they could draft one in the 5th, 6th or 7th round.....or if they draft one next year with one of their #1 picks or trade for one.  there is no reason that they can't re-sign Moss for another year or 2 after his contract expires.

My point is that there are too many other glaring holes that need attention other than an eventual replacement at #1 WR.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: And the New England Patriots Select... : they could draft one in the 5th, 6th or 7th round.....or if they draft one next year with one of their #1 picks or trade for one.  there is no reason that they can't re-sign Moss for another year or 2 after his contract expires. My point is that there are too many other glaring holes that need attention other than an eventual replacement at #1 WR.
    Posted by m1021us

And my point is they'll take the best talent available regardless of position and WR will certainly be in the discussion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb I got a name for you in late rounds, Kelton Tindal.  This is a guy who would need 2 years under a good coach to become a good receiver but could be a KR/PR next year.

Not saying he would be a #1 or 2 or even a 3 but this guy has some speed with size.  If he's there in the 7th I would throw a pick to get him and bring him in to the practice squad for a year and teach him the game.

If the Pats do not grad Tate or another WR in the first two rounds I would like in the 6th Marcus Easley. http://www.rookiedraft.com/?p=947

Another late round (one that's further along than Easley) is Alric Arnett.  This kid has wheels and also has good hands.  Can improve his route running but so most of college kids coming out.  He's projected as a 6th rounder but if he has a good combine he could move into the 5th or 4th.  He is 6'2" 190lbs runs a 4.4

I agree with you, we need to find Moss replacement this year.  Any of the kids that I shared have size, speed, hands to possibly develop into a #1 but will need work. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

mb I got a name for you in late rounds, Kelton Tindal.  This is a guy who would need 2 years under a good coach to become a good receiver but could be a KR/PR next year. Not saying he would be a #1 or 2 or even a 3 but this guy has some speed with size.  If he's there in the 7th I would throw a pick to get him and bring him in to the practice squad for a year and teach him the game. If the Pats do not grad Tate or another WR in the first two rounds I would like in the 6th Marcus Easley.  http://www.rookiedraft.com/?p=947   Another late round (one that's further along than Easley) is Alric Arnett.  This kid has wheels and also has good hands.  Can improve his route running but so most of college kids coming out.  He's projected as a 6th rounder but if he has a good combine he could move into the 5th or 4th.  He is 6'2" 190lbs runs a 4.4 I agree with you, we need to find Moss replacement this year.  Any of the kids that I shared have size, speed, hands to possibly develop into a #1 but will need work. 
    Posted by Pats7393

Pats,
    Thanks for the names, I'll have to check them out, sound like some late round projects with decent size and good speed.

I'm also keeping any eye on Chris McGaha, Trindon Holliday and Antonio Brown as potential late round guys.  McGaha projects as a potential possession receiver, Brown is more of a slot, poor mans Percy Harvin type and Holliday is extremely small (5-5 160) but is one of the fastest players in college football and could provide some value as a PR/KR.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

in the under 5'8" WRs I am also keeping an eye on Holliday, kind my thought "you can't tackle what you can't catch"  Guy played in the SEC so he's played against some of the best talent in college football.

Another player is Brandon Banks from Kansas 5'7" 155lbs also runs in the 4.20s  I don't think they could be covered and would be exciting to watch in KR/PR duties.  Because of some trouble he got into recently he might end up been undrafted so this could be a UDFA to come in and try out in camp.

I'm not concerned about how tall they are more than I am about their weight.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Who ever said that before was right... even though it is not one of the most pressing needs it would make sense to pick a cornerback with one of the first four picks... because it has become such a passing game... and we probably don't want darius butler to be the number one corner in his second year