AND THEN THERE WAS ONE.. WHAT BECAME OF THE SENT HOME 4?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

AND THEN THERE WAS ONE.. WHAT BECAME OF THE SENT HOME 4?

remember when bel sent home moss, adalius thomas, derrick burgess and gary guyton for being late to a practice (apparently this was a recurring pattern). i have been saying it was the first attempt at sending a clear message by bel about his overall philosophy since peyton busted him in 2006 for the third straight time. he strayed from the pats way by putting more emphasis on pure individual talent at all costs rather than on chemistry of the collective that got us 3 rings. he finally realized that these first 3 legendary malcontents could not be tamed, tweaked or just marginalized, he had to get them off the team. what they bring to the field ultimately underwhelms what they do behind the scenes.

guyton, the lone holdover, has found himself off the starting lineup and is in a more reduced role. he has talent but simply can not put it all together to be a consistent starter. i am certain bel would not sign his type if he had to do it all over again, at least not with the same expectations. he is the most responsible for us losing to the ravens in the playoffs last year by AGAIN being out of position on a run play. he seems to be far better in coverage but he seems to be one of the most beaten players on the defense. i seem to only see his #59 from behind when he AGAIN is chasing down someone after being beaten! hey, as an unsigned guy he has been steal, a good place holder. when someone else can soon come along, he will likely become a james sanders clone. steady as a fourth option but not the guy you want to top the depth chart.

both burgess and thomas are currently still out of football with no offers rolling in although they can still "play". thomas is talking apparently with the ONLY present home for maltcontents, the bengals. in case you have been in a cave, moss got traded to the vikes to again have no shot at a ring but have a pile of inefficient numbers while being more focused on getting paid than doing the little things to be an actual WINNER like a deion branch!

all four of their replacements have made us a BETTER team collectively! spikes apparently is able to fill the gap, both on and off the field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: AND THEN THERE WAS ONE.. WHAT BECAME OF THE SUSPENDED 4?

Gutyon actually has been playing pretty well in this defense and has an important role.  Also, BB didn't draft him. He was a rookie free agent.  Personally, I think BB makes his personnel decisions based purely on who is going to help the team and who isn't. I don't think he's got the vendettas against people he's had to discipline that you think he has. He's too smart a coach for that child's play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WAS ONE.. WHAT BECAME OF THE SUSPENDED 4?:
    [QUOTE]Gutyon actually has been playing pretty well in this defense and has an important role.  Also, BB didn't draft him. He was a rookie free agent.  Personally, I think BB makes his personnel decisions based purely on who is going to help the team and who isn't. I don't think he's got the vendettas against people he's had to discipline that you think he has. He's too smart a coach for that child's play.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]you make a great point on guyton. perhaps bel just did not want the veteran 3 around as potential distractions to the youth like guyton. not necessarily a vendatta. but a regret or frustration. none of these guys are true leaders or who u want youth emulating. all 3 need other vets to keep them in check. not so hard to replace, which is the issue i had with bel from before...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WAS ONE.. WHAT BECAME OF THE SUSPENDED 4? : you make a great point on guyton. perhaps bel just did not want the veteran 3 around as potential distractions to the youth like guyton. not necessarily a vendatta. but a regret or frustration. none of these guys are true leaders or who u want youth emulating. all 3 need other vets to keep them in check. not so hard to replace, which is the issue i had with bel from before...
    Posted by KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

I think Thomas had become a distraction and BB probably was glad to get rid of him for that reason as well as for his disappointing play.  Burgess I think didn't make it simply because he wasn't contributing.  Remember BB brought him back into training camp this year, so he must have been willing to give him another shot.  Moss was let go for a lot of reasons--but mostly because his role in the offense this year was diminished.  This fact made Moss more expendable from BB's point of view and at the same time made Moss more unhappy and more likely to develop a bad attitude.  I think BB and Moss both understood this and probably decided it was better for everyone involved for Moss to move on. I wouldn't be surprised if they talked about this together and came to a mutually acceptable and maybe even amicable agreement about it. I think BB would have gladly kept Moss on in a diminished role, but he wasn't going to do that if it risked turning Moss into a problem child.  Plus, I think he was probably starting to think Branch would fit into this year's offense better.

The big picture here, though, is that BB is trying to develop a younger--and maybe more cohesive--team, so certain veterans aren't good fits.  And here's where I think I do agree with you: BB thinks the veterans that make the most sense this year are good team guys who are willing to mentor young guys and don't necessarily need to steal the spotlight. Veterans who need a lot of attention on themselves probably don't work for the Pats right now . . . so those guys (if there are any left) are getting shipped out. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: AND THEN THERE WAS ONE.. WHAT BECAME OF THE SENT HOME 4?

In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WAS ONE.. WHAT BECAME OF THE SENT HOME 4?:
    [QUOTE]you said that BB wouldn't draft Gutyon again, well thats right,  he was never drafted by the patriots.  He was an udreafted free agent.  And i think he has done good considering that.
    Posted by nickelbean[/QUOTE]

Nickelbean jumps on here once in a blue moon just to set a few people straight now and again. Good S@#t dude!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to AND THEN THERE WAS ONE.. WHAT BECAME OF THE SENT HOME 4?:
    [QUOTE]remember when bel sent home moss, adalius thomas, derrick burgess and gary guyton for being late to a practice (apparently this was a recurring pattern). i have been saying it was the first attempt at sending a clear message by bel about his overall philosophy since peyton busted him in 2006 for the third straight time. he strayed from the pats way by putting more emphasis on pure individual talent at all costs rather than on chemistry of the collective that got us 3 rings. he finally realized that these first 3 legendary malcontents could not be tamed, tweaked or just marginalized, he had to get them off the team. what they bring to the field ultimately underwhelms what they do behind the scenes. guyton, the lone holdover, has found himself off the starting lineup and is in a more reduced role. he had talent but simply can not put it all together. i am certain bel would not draft his type if he had to do it all over again. he is the most responsible for us losing to the ravens in the playoffs last year by AGAIN being out of position on a run play. he seems to be a bit better in coverage but he seems to be one of the most beaten players on the defense. i seem to only see his #59 from behind when he AGAIN is chasing down someone after being beaten! both burgess and thomas are currently still out of football with no offers rolling in although they can still "play". thomas is talking apparently with the ONLY present home for maltcontents, the bengals. in case you have been in a cave, moss got traded to the vikes to again have no shot at a ring but have a pile of inefficient numbers while being more focused on getting paid than doing the little things to be an actual WINNER like a deion branch! all four of their replacements have made us a BETTER team collectively! spikes apparently is able to fill the gap, both on and off the field.
    Posted by KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Guyton was techincally replaced by Spikes, but Spikes has played only one more play than Guyton...

Moss left cause he wanted out.  Thomas sucked and started trouble so he got cut, and then burgess faked retirement and cameback but sucked so he got cut.  I really don't follow your correlation. 

And I am pretty sure Bill Likes Guyton... do some research before you post. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

The big picture here, though, is that BB is trying to develop a younger--and maybe more cohesive--team, so certain veterans aren't good fits.  And here's where I think I do agree with you: BB thinks the veterans that make the most sense this year are good team guys who are willing to mentor young guys and don't necessarily need to steal the spotlight. Veterans who need a lot of attention on themselves probably don't work for the Pats right now . . . so those guys (if there are any left) are getting shipped out.

i agree prolate. i like what is going on with the pats. even if we do not win it all this year. the pieces are there to be a powerhouse AGAIN starting next year.  Regarding guyton, i obviously mis-remembered by saying he was drafted. he has worked out, which is y he is the only left standing. he is not like the other 3. for different reasons, they were the WRONG vets to have around. guys like tully banta-cain, matt light, wilfork, ty warren, sammy morris and even fred taylor are far better. this is what bel needs around. i have the feeling that had holt not gotten hurt in preseason and displayed some productivity, mr. moss would have been history even BEFORE the season had started.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Burgess and Thomas suked, that's why they are gone. 
    Moss is old, that's why he's gone.
    BB signed Guyton to an extension this past offseason. 

The snow scandal had nothing to do with why these guys aren't here. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]Gutyon actually has been playing pretty well in this defense and has an important role.  Also, BB didn't draft him. He was a rookie free agent.  Personally, I think BB makes his personnel decisions based purely on who is going to help the team and who isn't. I don't think he's got the vendettas against people he's had to discipline that you think he has. He's too smart a coach for that child's play.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

good post. I think it's the nature of the beast regarding personnel changes. How many players from the 2010 team are from the original 2001 team? Not many.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Yes and Guyton received a new contract this offseason, after the whole snowstorm incident.