Andy Katzenmoyer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maddog67. Show Maddog67's posts

Andy Katzenmoyer

So I'm sitting here watching Ohio state vs Michigan (1997), replay game on the Big Ten network, and all I can see is that Andy Katzenmoyer is an absolute beast .. 6'4" - 260lbs and as fast as anyone on the field.  He was a disaster as draft pick, but no way you can blame the Pats .. he was a monster among monsters.

Makes me think that the NFL draft is waaay more about luck than research.

-Maddog

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Andy Katzenmoyer

In Response to Andy Katzenmoyer:
    Makes me think that the NFL draft is waaay more about luck than research. -Maddog
    Posted by Maddog67

sometimes it is

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

He was very good prior to his injury. Most ppeople call him a bust, but it wasn't because of talent--his career was cut short. What can you do about that? *shrug*

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

He had the talent, but suffered a career ending neck injury that could have crippled him for life if not killed him. It wasn't a lack of research & a pick not panning out, it was an injury nobody could foresee. If he doesn't get hurt, it's more likely he becomes a star than a failure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

He was a pretty good player. I don't remember injuries so much as I remember him having some pretty serious mental issues. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I don't remember him making much of a contribution to the Pats. Was he a Pete Carroll draft selection? Over the years I'm seen tons of busts by every NFL team.
    It is a roll of the dice. The best job of drafting I ever saw by any NFL team was the 49ers under Bill Walsh. Presently, I think the Steelers do a good job of drafting considering how far down the round they draft. Same for the Colts. I think Parcels
    is a superior to Belichick when it comes to the draft. I think Belichick  over dose the versitility thing. He is always looking for guys who can play multiple positions.
    That's good but maybe it can result in players who are a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I remember a great Borges line re Katzenmoyer "It was if the blocker was velcroed to him".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjmj430. Show pjmj430's posts

katzenmoyer basically broke his neck...prior to that he was a good player ron borges is belichick hating plagerizer...i dont read anything he steals from someone else...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

IMO can't call this guy a bust because of the type of injury.  He tryed coming back from a broken neck but was not the same player and I can't blame him for that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The guy slipped in the draft because he had a poor junior season, he was having trouble diagnosing plays and getting off blocks. He was probably the most talented linebacker in the draft that year or most any year and was starting to play well for us until he hurt his neck.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Katz wasn't a bad player. Wasn't a bust but wasn't a pro bowler. He was young and still learning the ropes. If it weren't for the neck injury he probably could still be playing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

It wasn't that he had a bad junior year, it's just that he had such phenomenal freshman and sophomore years. He was good enough that Archie Griffith actually allowed his number to be un-retired to let Katz wear it. I grew up in MA, but live in Ohio, Katz was the 2nd coming here before he got hurt, I was ecstatic when the Pat's drafted him

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Andy Katzenmoyer:
    It wasn't that he had a bad junior year, it's just that he had such phenomenal freshman and sophomore years. He was good enough that Archie Griffith actually allowed his number to be un-retired to let Katz wear it. I grew up in MA, but live in Ohio, Katz was the 2nd coming here before he got hurt, I was ecstatic when the Pat's drafted him
    Posted by slakrking

You're right his first two years were unbelievable, based off those couple of years he could have been a top 5 pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

It would be extremely unfair to call Katzenmoyer a bust.  He was a promising young player before the neck injury completely derailed his career.  He would have gone to to a long career as a starting middle linebacker if not for that injury.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Andy Katzenmoyer:
    So I'm sitting here watching Ohio state vs Michigan (1997), replay game on the Big Ten network, and all I can see is that Andy Katzenmoyer is an absolute beast .. 6'4" - 260lbs and as fast as anyone on the field.  He was a disaster as draft pick, but no way you can blame the Pats .. he was a monster among monsters. Makes me think that the NFL draft is waaay more about luck than research. -Maddog
    Posted by Maddog67

The Patriots have had three great linebackers go down because of severe injuries.  Andy and Don Blackmon with almost the same neck injury and Todd Collins with severe knee injuies.  These three would have played in many ProBowl games.  I was lucky enough to be in the stadium for all of their home games and get to see their superb play even though their careers were very short.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In Response to Andy Katzenmoyer : The Patriots have had three great linebackers go down because of severe injuries.  Andy and Don Blackmon with almost the same neck injury and Todd Collins with severe knee injuies.  These three would have played in many ProBowl games.  I was lucky enough to be in the stadium for all of their home games and get to see their superb play even though their careers were very short.
    Posted by Clay73

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In Response to Andy Katzenmoyer : The Patriots have had three great linebackers go down because of severe injuries.  Andy and Don Blackmon with almost the same neck injury and Todd Collins with severe knee injuies.  These three would have played in many ProBowl games.  I was lucky enough to be in the stadium for all of their home games and get to see their superb play even though their careers were very short.
    Posted by Clay73

Don Blackmon!!!!   with Nelson, Tippet  and him we had some LBs. When he went down we never recovered that talent.. was it Oakland  when he got hurt ?

and, again come on Katzenmoyer had a broken neck !!!! it's  tough to " stick it " to some one when ..oh... paralylsis is a posibility

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Re: Andy Katzenmoyer : Don Blackmon!!!!   with Nelson, Tippet  and him we had some LBs. When he went down we never recovered that talent.. was it Oakland  when he got hurt ? and, again come on Katzenmoyer had a broken neck !!!! it's  tough to " stick it " to some one when ..oh... paralylsis is a posibility
    Posted by mgraham

Yes, I think it may have been against Oakland. Don was drafted much later in the 4th round, I remember from Tulsa and slipped so late because of a neck injury he had in his junior rear at Tulsa. I would often think that perhaps he was a better OLB than Andre Tippett but the three were a great unit to watch.  I think Andy had his neck injury in college first time also.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

He suffered a neck injury during his first season with the Patriots that eventually forced him to have surgery and miss half of the 2000 season. During training camp in 2001, Katzenmoyer walked out citing concern about a feeling in his neck. He was later released.

Congrats to him for not being a macho knucklehead and ending up paralyzed.