Another Trade possibility to consider...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Another Trade possibility to consider...

Reiss was quoted in a chat yesterday saying this to a question about Belichicks devotion to Maroney at this point...

"The draft could always lead to a change at RB, but I do think Bill Belichick still has confidence in Maroney. At the same time, I'm of the belief that a change of scenery is probably best for Maroney. As for keeping older players, the combo of Faulk, Morris and Taylor is about $4 million in base salary this year. Not too bad for three players. In terms of the injuries, I see what you are saying, but I could see all 3 still being effective in their roles."

I Like Reiss for many reasons but I have said all along Maroney is a huge chip to have and he is tradeable. At the same time if he is kept and runs behind Crumpler he is bound to get better YPC. He's no Chris Johnson but Chris said he loved running with Crumpler because he knew he was going to have 5 yards to get up to speed and see the lanes develop with out anyone touching him. 

Now here is the question... What would it take for you (Or what you think it would take for the Patriots if you rather) to be offered to trade him?

Now for me to trade him it would have to be a draft day deal based on one thing... our getting CJ Spiller or Ryan Mathews and maybe Best, but Bests concussion issues worry me long term.

Then the question becomes what do you want from him? I say a 3rd round pick at least. 

So lets say the Patriots get Spiller at 10 or 11 after trading #22 and #44 to Jags or Denver to move up and then trade Maroney to the Eagles for pick #70 or #87.  Or the same deal but you draft Best at #44 or Mathews at #22.

I would do those deals in a heart beat for either of those 3rd rounders considering you just added one of the top 3 RB's that will be pro bowl contenders throughout their careers and you added a pick in the 3rd round to draft a solid guy or you use it for Olsen or Branch if that is what you want to do.

Wow this is pretty detailed as I look back over it but I think it needed to be... so here is another post to ponder.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Re: Another Trade possibility to consider...

So lets say the Patriots get Spiller at 10 or 11 after trading #22 and #44 to Jags or Denver to move up and then trade Maroney to the Eagles for pick #70 or #87.  Or the same deal but you draft Best at #44 or Mathews at #22.

Would you trade for Maroney if we had pick 70 or 87? Why do you think the Eagles would then?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Philskiw... I looked at the NFL teams out there and who had multiple picks was one issue but also who had a possible need was also part of the picture. As much as Maroney drives me nuts he still manages to rank in the top 10 in the NFL in over all production and I think that he could do even better in a new system and a fresh start just as Reiss stated.

So to answer your question... yes I would do that deal if I was Andy Reid because Maroney is still young and has a lot of Football ahead of him.  He has substantial tallent and hasn't been run into the ground and you own him for 2 more years if you trade for him. Lets not forget you own him for 2 more years under very cap friendly terms which is also one reason the Patriots might choose to keep him.  I could even see the Patriots drafting one of those 3 backs I mentioned and still keeping Morris, Faulk, Taylor and Maroney. Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis is the odd man out here if that happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Another Trade possibility to consider...:
    Philskiw...  As much as Maroney drives me nuts he still manages to rank in the top 10 in the NFL in over all production and I think that he could do even better in a new system and a fresh start just as Reiss stated. Posted by DaBlade

I had no idea our maroney baloney had those kind of numbers. It seems that every time I see him, he's either running into the back of his own OL or putting the ball on the ground.

Maybe we could get a third rounder for him then. I'd ship him out in a heartbeat for a third.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

If they draft Mathews with the 22nd pick, then I assume Maroney is a goner.  I'd take a 4th round pick for him and say good riddance.  I think Washington is a team to consider because Shanahan liked Maroney a lot back in '06 and Portis isn't getting any younger. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Philskiw... I looked at the NFL teams out there and who had multiple picks was one issue but also who had a possible need was also part of the picture. As much as Maroney drives me nuts he still manages to rank in the top 10 in the NFL in over all production and I think that he could do even better in a new system and a fresh start just as Reiss stated. So to answer your question... yes I would do that deal if I was Andy Reid because Maroney is still young and has a lot of Football ahead of him.  He has substantial tallent and hasn't been run into the ground and you own him for 2 more years if you trade for him. Lets not forget you own him for 2 more years under very cap friendly terms which is also one reason the Patriots might choose to keep him.  I could even see the Patriots drafting one of those 3 backs I mentioned and still keeping Morris, Faulk, Taylor and Maroney. Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis is the odd man out here if that happens.
    Posted by DaBlade

Please define which production stats you're referring to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Maroney is only under contract for one more season.  He signed a five year rookie contract in 2006.  I don't think a player of his caliber is worth a 3rd if it's only for one season.  If he had 2-3 years left, maybe, but I think his value to the Patriots this year is greater than what he would bring in a trade.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

the team with the biggest need at runningback is probably the Chargers (its weird typing that). maybe we could deal maroney to san diego, although i dont see us getting more than a 5th

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

We're going to trade # 22 and #44 to draft a running back?  Put the pipe down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Another Trade possibility to consider... : I had no idea our maroney baloney had those kind of numbers. It seems that every time I see him, he's either running into the back of his own OL or putting the ball on the ground. Maybe we could get a third rounder for him then. I'd ship him out in a heartbeat for a third.
    Posted by unclealfie

#27 in rushing yardage for 2009, only 2 carries that went for 20+ yards, he also ranked #251 in receiving yards; the longest at 17 yards, none over 20 yards. Tied for 57th in scoring. I looked for total yards, but got tired of looking.

I don't think he's top 10 in anything.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"We're going to trade # 22 and #44 to draft a running back?  Put the pipe down."

Thanks 123meg.....................you beat me to that one.

Put together a dominant O Line and almost NFL RB will look good.  That's one of the last positions I'd use a top 10 pick on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think we should keep maroney, i think the problem lies with our offensive line. bring in Veldheer OT (hillsdale) with our last 2nd round pick and Chris Marinelli OT (Stanford) in the 7th round and possibly Jeff Buyers OL (USC) in the 7th or as a UDFA. 

Chris Marinelli OT (stanford)
    Height: 6-7 | Weight: 301- He has the versatility to play guard or tackle at the next level, thanks to his intelligence, size, strength, foot speed and nasty streak. That's a lot of things for NFL offensive line coaches to like

Jeff Byers OL (USC) Height: 6-4 | Weight: 301

Byers' versatility, intelligence, competitive nature and underrated athleticism give him a chance to have a long NFL career in the pivot. Rarely rocked back or pushed into the backfield. Even when he stops his feet, can remain engaged with his long arms. Has the mobility and toughness to be effective in a zone-blocking scheme. Gets low in short-yardage situations to win leverage battles. Highly intelligent and plays with good hustle and a mean streak.

Bringing in these guys would give us the building blocks to improve the right side of our offensive line to be as good as the left side.  With veldheer/kazcur at RT, Marinelli/neal at Right OG,  koppen at center (new center taken in next years draft), mankins at left OG, and Vollmer/light at left Tackle our offensive line would be greatly improved and would be able to dominate like our former SB champ teams did.  It would enable BB to actually utalize a TE as a passing threat instead of constantly having to keep them back to protect brady and to block for the run game.  I think with an improved O line our run game including maroney will play great.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

would you trade the pats (non-existent) third round pick for maroney? or would you rather take your chances with a rookie RB? how about a fourth rounder? fifth? didnt think so. so why would another team do that?
    answer: they wouldnt. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Another Trade possibility to consider...:
    Reiss was quoted in a chat yesterday saying this to a question about Belichicks devotion to Maroney at this point... "The draft could always lead to a change at RB, but I do think Bill Belichick still has confidence in Maroney...
    Posted by DaBlade

As others have stated, no way would I draft a RB with a high 1st rounder.  No, not even Adrian "Fumbles More Than Maroney" Peterson.  This is not your father's NFL.  With very few exceptions that prove the rule (Steven Jackson), there is no such thing as a feature back any more.  It's too punishing of a position for one guy.  You need at least two, preferably three guys you can run out there. 

Maroney is serviceable.  So are the rest of their guys at that position.  It's not a need, why create one there?  Look at the Saints, Mike Bell and Pierre Thomas.  Or the Colts with Addai and Brown.  Nothing remarkable there.  It's the most fungible position in the NFL, including kicker. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Our running game is fine, why are we giving up two picks to draft a RB when we NEED to get better at defense? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illmatic1. Show Illmatic1's posts

We would never give up 2 picks for an RB, but trading Maroney would be fine with me. I think Matthews will be around at pick 22 and I wouldn't be upset if we used it on him even though DE is our biggest need. I do believe a solid run game will make our offense look more dominate. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

i think we should keep maroney, i think the problem lies with our offensive line. bring in Veldheer OT (hillsdale) with our last 2nd round pick and Chris Marinelli OT (Stanford) in the 7th round and possibly Jeff Buyers OL (USC) in the 7th or as a UDFA.  Chris Marinelli OT (stanford) Height: 6-7 | Weight: 301 - He has the versatility to play guard or tackle at the next level, thanks to his intelligence, size, strength, foot speed and nasty streak. That's a lot of things for NFL offensive line coaches to like Jeff Byers OL (USC) Height: 6-4 | Weight: 301 Byers' versatility, intelligence, competitive nature and underrated athleticism give him a chance to have a long NFL career in the pivot. Rarely rocked back or pushed into the backfield. Even when he stops his feet, can remain engaged with his long arms. Has the mobility and toughness to be effective in a zone-blocking scheme. Gets low in short-yardage situations to win leverage battles. Highly intelligent and plays with good hustle and a mean streak.Bringing in these guys would give us the building blocks to improve the right side of our offensive line to be as good as the left side.  With veldheer/kazcur at RT, Marinelli/neal at Right OG,  koppen at center (new center taken in next years draft), mankins at left OG, and Vollmer/light at left Tackle our offensive line would be greatly improved and would be able to dominate like our former SB champ teams did.  It would enable BB to actually utalize a TE as a passing threat instead of constantly having to keep them back to protect brady and to block for the run game.  I think with an improved O line our run game including maroney will play great.
    Posted by natesubs

agreed that our OL needs help more than RB, besides, I don't think we'd get much for Maroney - so, keep him until his contract runs out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't see any movement where Maroney is concerned, we obviously don't see why BB has kept him here as long as he has ! My guess is that he is cheap by comparison. It's his last season at any rate unless he comes back next year at a discounted rate. It could be worse Patriots fans all I ask you folks to do is look at the Raiders who drafted a QB who can now be officially classified as an Offensive lineman !!!!! JeAwful Russell show up at the Raiders OTA's weighing 290 LBS.! How do you think BB would react to that sighting? He'ld probably schedule a trip to his optometrist immediately! The first words out of his mouth would sound something like this : Oh Hell No!!!!! Got to love those Raiders they can't play for doggie do-do,and now their QB can't even keep away from a refrigerator!! The Laughs just keep on coming,Thnx Crazy Al for all the humor...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

In Response to Re: Another Trade possibility to consider... : agreed that our OL needs help more than RB, besides, I don't think we'd get much for Maroney - so, keep him until his contract runs out.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Just who are these RB's that were mediocre and then blossomed into stars with an impovement of the OL.

I don't know of any...But I know quite a few RB's that made mediocre OL's look good. Curtis Martin, Emmit Smith, Terrell Davis, Thurman Thomas...Blah, Blah, Blah! (yes Denver's OL WAS very good, but without TD they were no longer a dominant running team, just a good running team).

How come the back up RB's for these guys couldn't run as well?  Were they not running behind the same line?  Why even pay these guys if it's "all about the OL"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

you can always wait until the second to draft best.  50/50 if Ryan Mattews is a first rounder.  Why make all these moves instead of waiting until the second round and grabbing the 2nd or 3rd best RB?  There is no value in moving up that far to draft a 3rd down back, no matter how shifty he looked at Clemson.  BB doesn't value the position that much, he knows how many good RB's have come outside of the first round.  Now a quality pass rusher has that value in the first round.  If we move up this year IT HAS TO BE FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN GET TO THE QB...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

Maroney does not rank Top 10 in anything and people are dreaming if they think he's worth anything more than a late round pick.  RBs are just not worth all that much in trades in the first place and there are plenty of rookies and free agents out there.  Maybe he could net a 5th or 6th round pick with a performance escalator to the 4th if he did well next year.

But he's cheap and sometimes not terrible, so it's unlikely he would get moved.  The Pats potentially could net more in a compensatory pick by letting him walk than they could get in trading him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd keep him. He's bound to have a good season one of these years, even a blind squirel finds a nut once in a while. But I do think you need to pick a back in the first two rounds, we're not getting enough out of that position when you think about how the defense has to worry about Tom Brady. With all the attention the safeties give to moss, there should be some room for these guys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Another Trade possibility to consider... : Just who are these RB's that were mediocre and then blossomed into stars with an impovement of the OL. I don't know of any...But I know quite a few RB's that made mediocre OL's look good. Curtis Martin, Emmit Smith, Terrell Davis, Thurman Thomas...Blah, Blah, Blah! (yes Denver's OL WAS very good, but without TD they were no longer a dominant running team, just a good running team). How come the back up RB's for these guys couldn't run as well?  Were they not running behind the same line?  Why even pay these guys if it's "all about the OL"?
    Posted by mar10fern

I can think of a few. Jerrome Bettis, Priest Holmes, Stephen Davis. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

Patriots are going to trade their 2011 1st round pick (theirs not the raiders pick) to the chiefs for a 2010 2nd round pick (50) and 3rd round pick (68) and a 2011 5th round pick.