Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year?

Just being realistic here. I like both guys but very unlikely they will be there to run the entire season. BB obviously thinks maroney is better as a 60/40 or less guy so possible solutions would be... 1. Marshawn Lynch trade( maybe a 3rd rd pick to Buffalo)Seems like a good fit for what we need. 2. Lendale White 1 year signing.(prorated after week 4) I personally think this guy is a waste of talent but if we do suffer injury we will need a back with some toughness. 3. Westbrook????? Wouldn't really fit what we need but at 5-8 touches a game could be valuable in the screen game. 4. Justin Fargas My favorite FA 6'1 220 #s and has lots of experience. He could hit the hole hard and get 1st downs. Any other ideas for the inevitable?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year?

In Response to Re: Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year?:
    I agree but before i go into let me say this, if Fred Taylor stays healthy watch out for a Curtis Martin type year. I think they will stick with Maroney but then when he gets hurt we are *screwed and you know he will get hurt too. Fargas got signed by another team didnt he? Landale White is a waste of talent and time but he can score in the redzone which we needed last year. And Westbrook would be a good pick up but he wants too much money.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I was just scrolling through available FA's and Fargas was on there with probably the best resume. Unless somebody knows something about him that i couldn't see I think his production could spike on a team with Brady and multiple weapons. He was the odd man out in Oak because of contracts to Bush and DMC(actually he doesn't deserve a nickname) Mcfadden. Yeah White is apparently a slug but can't deny a good redzone presence at least for play action. What do you think about Lynch trade scenario?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year?

They will just have Brady pass the ball 50 times a game whether the RBs are healthy or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Marshaw Lynch for a 3rd would be perfect.  but I don't see the Pats doing much of anything.  The best case scenario(as nuts as it seems) would be for Taylor to get an injury early in preseason to force the Pats to pickup or trade for another RB.  I would rather see him go down early then just get 3 or 4 games again before another certain injury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

How about that one RB in the comp draft coming up?  Isnt he like 6ft and 227 or something like that?  What is his name?  It escapes me right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year?:
    Just being realistic here. I like both guys but very unlikely they will be there to run the entire season. BB obviously thinks maroney is better as a 60/40 or less guy so possible solutions would be... 1. Marshawn Lynch trade( maybe a 3rd rd pick to Buffalo)Seems like a good fit for what we need. 2. Lendale White 1 year signing.(prorated after week 4) I personally think this guy is a waste of talent but if we do suffer injury we will need a back with some toughness. 3. Westbrook????? Wouldn't really fit what we need but at 5-8 touches a game could be valuable in the screen game. 4. Justin Fargas My favorite FA 6'1 220 #s and has lots of experience. He could hit the hole hard and get 1st downs. Any other ideas for the inevitable?
    Posted by TrueChamp

I sincerely hope BB has a plan other raiding other teams' practice squads for a RB when this happens, as it inevitably will.

Based on their past records, I put the over/under on either Taylor or Morris being out for the season at 5 games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year?:
    In Response to Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year? : I sincerely hope BB has a plan other raiding other teams' practice squads for a RB when this happens, as it inevitably will. Based on their past records, I put the over/under on either Taylor or Morris being out for the season at 5 games.
    Posted by unclealfie

NO DOUBT! I have to agree with Grogan too, it is almost best case scenario that one of them gets injured early. I know how completely horrible this sounds but more then likely these players cannot stay on the field. Just as likely is if we had a power runner then Maroney becomes a more effective player as a 1-2 punch. I think most fans would agree we need to incorporate the run more as to establish a balanced offense. Last year we were the most predictable offense in the league by far.(Accept maybe Carolina who ran on 1st,2nd and usually 3rd downs) I would love to have Lynch but Bills would have to be in desperation mode to trade him in the division, especially to the Pats! Also a legitimate concern is how effective can Taylor be after another bad foot injury last year at 34 years old( or 35?) ??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

In Response to Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year? : I sincerely hope BB has a plan other raiding other teams' practice squads for a RB when this happens, as it inevitably will. Based on their past records, I put the over/under on either Taylor or Morris being out for the season at 5 games.
    Posted by unclealfie

why spend time digging through other people's practice squads when you can go into your own. i hope that thomas clayton at least make the PS. i think he is a powerful guy who could possibly be a  surprise. he was a preseason hero in san fran.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

"it is almost best case scenario that one of them gets injured early"

The best case scenario is that they all stay healthy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Look, I thought and STILL think that the 2010 NFL Draft, was and is the best Draft by NE POST-2004 ('05, '06, '07, '08, and even '09)...Yet this is NOT to say in anyway that I believe it was an unbelievable Draft.  First 4 picks: Solid, solid and SOLID (McCourty CB, Gronkowski TE, Cunningham OLB, and Spikes SILB).      
         RE: these guys- 
    ~McCourty-the ONLY person in this draft whom I actually dedicated a thread on...Imho-And especially to those whom laud only McCourty's special teams skills...lmao.  As I stated in that thread I mentioned=I really WOULD take McCourty over CBs Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson=Devin McCourty barring injury=Next NFL shut-down CB (i.e. with a Complete Game)...  2nd in TTs on his team (as a CB!)..  5'11 and 195lbs (definately a decent size for a Rook CB), McCourty Can play press-man (good size and strength to jam a WR, with fluid hips and change of direction top-notch); Can play Off-man (incredible at jumping routes while not "biting" on fakes, great leaping ability and body control vs taller WRs); AND he can play zone just as well (great filmwork and overall awareness...simply THE best recovery speed and angles to ball/play)...WILL sacrifice his body vs the run and WILL bait QBs while in coverage (zon usually), For them to pass in his area.  He is a consumate and TOTAL team player and student of this game:  Just Check THIS stat out (ays it all RE: His skills, shut-down ability, form tackler and a helping teammate)- 
      "Against his main pass coverage assignments, McCourty has held those receivers to only 42 receptions for 386 yards on 158 passes targeted into his area, meaning that quarterbacks have completed just 26.58 percent of those tosses and their intended targets were limited to 9.19 yards per pass completion and 2.44 yards per attempt."
      "Devin has proven to be an excellent press coverage defender, as his excellent field vision has seen him make plays on the ball 45.39 percent of the time outside his area, coming to the aid after a teammate had blown an assignment. He has jammed/rerouted those pass catchers away from 148 incomplete attempts (average of 3.84 per game), the most of any cornerback in the Division I ranks during that span." 
    ...just a special teams guy?  Absurd.  

~Rob Gronkowski-Best blocking TE by miles, MUCH Better hands than Jermaine Gresham, and actually faster than Gresham, much Better route runner (yet even though he trumped Gresham on all these qualities-Gresham has a little more "jostle" to hisstep, a lil' better open-field elusiveness does NOT beat someone who has softer hands, more refined route trees and is 100X the better blocker...IF not for his back surgery=Nation's BEST TE.

~Brandon Spikes=For ALL those who believe Spikes is merely a 2-down lineman due to his 40 time on a track field...Lmao again.  Look, he probably ain't gonna be in a nickel package on 3rd and a mile...But Spikes IS a 3-down SILB...  Better 3 cone drill than Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle, Daryll Washington, Sean Weatherspoon, and Jerry Hughes...SILB as I know it, On a passing down will either cover the TE, maybe RB in the flat, and/or blitz and/or remain in the middle in case of a play-action run.   Physical: 6'3 right around 250lbs-give or take a couple lbs.  Florida Career (starting only 39 games): 307TTs, 31.5 TFLs, 2 FF, 4 FRecoveries, 6.5 Sacks, 10 Passes Defensed, and 6 INTs (with 4 of them as TDs)...and remember-Brandon Spikes isan ILB NOT an OLB with those sick stats.  And some say he's just a 2 down guy because of a poor track 40-Guess what?  Rey Maualuga ran a 4.9 40 and Spikes a 5.0 40....yet Spikes had better numbers pretty much throughout actual on-field stats than Maualuga.    Instincts, Instincts, coupled with Extreme Passion and a love for doing filmwork=A firery leader with a nasty first step to the action.

~Jermaine Cunningham-Finding a 3-4 OLB ain't easy...In fact, It's almost fiction without a Top 15-20 Draft Selection being spent on one...  Not many collegiate OLBs have the size to set an edge against the run as a 3-4 OLB; Ya end up almost HAVING to target a collegiate DE in order to get the size & strength in your favor...Problem is, It becomes a massive gamble as even the very best scouts never can determine for the most part, Precisely HOW a college DE will play in space and vs the pass...exactly HOW they'll perform with their hand of the ground...  Long Arms, Very smart to make the DE-OLB switch and even understand a Bill Belichick playbook, Big enough BUT NEED to be fast enough-Cover a fast receiver, Set the edge vs run, AND big enough and good enough to be a pass-rushing threat=Lmao...ha.
      Jermaine Cunningham: 6'3 1/2 266lbs with a 4.72 40, And with his 26 starts in 3 seasons, He's amassed this: 150 TTs, 34 TFLs, 19 Sacks, 7 PassesDef, 1 INT, and 3 FFumbles=Not easy getting even a "potential" 3-4 OLB in Round 3...man, AND he has good instincts, a great work-ethic and attitude, AND he tries hard on the field of play...

~Yea, I know-I'm gettin' to my point

Firstly though (lmao), RE- The LAST 4 selections: Solid, solid and SOLID as well (Welch OT, Deadrick DT=3-4 DE, Weston DT=3-4 NT, and Robinson QB)...
      I'll be brief:  I AIN'T ever gonna complain about drafting a 6'6-1/2 307lb, smart and athletic Offensive Tackle, NOT in the 7th rd and NOT after seeing Sebastian Vollmer with very similiar intangibles and coming from a smaller unheralded program...no way.  Brandon Deadrick I actually wanted in later rds pre-draft...6'4 314lbs (and I believe?) Alabama runs a 3-4 (unsure though... Either way, He's a good fit: Selfless, Big, Hard-working, Good reaction time=A guy who does and WILL occupy 2 blockers ideally as a 3-4 DE.  Kade Weston? Now you won't EVER hear me complain about takin' a gamble on a 6'5 317lb guy who can be a 3-4 DE OR a 3-4 NT.  Zac Robinson=Now THIS is where I WANT NE to draft a QB... Why not with 12 picks, simply take a gamble on a QB at the end of the draft?  I'm glad they do this each year seemingly in order to hedge thir bets on finding a diamond in the rough...

THIS HERE IS THE CRUX OF THE MATTER:
    ...and HOW it relates to NE's Runningback situation.

But, see the catch RE: Belichick's Good Draft: Given the sheer number of overall picks (In a 7 round draft, after all was said and done=12 selections), And the given of having 4 high round selections (4 in 1st 2 rounds)... Imho, Belichick really COULD have done better with his 4 Mid-Rd choices (the one's in between the first and last 4 guys- Price WR, Hernandez TE, Mesko P, and Larsen OC).  These were guys picked between and within the 27th pick of Round 3 and up to the 36th pick of Round 6.

I have a QUESTION...WHY on earth, would you draft a still very raw WR In Round 3, A TE that no matter how skilled-One whom in ZERO way fits in with your pass-blocking TE norms in NE (where you coulda had a decent prospect as a DE, or a RB who has slipped down boards)...I DESPISE "parrallel" picks even IF you're intending to use him as something of an H-Back or a #2 WR...idk; AND...no matter HOW big he is physically and a good leader, and How MUCH our current Patriot Punter totally s#cks, You do NOT by any means draft the #2 rated Punter in Round 5...not with good prospects on the board, and team needs, And NOT one with a slower release and lesser averag than P Matt Dodge...Even though Dodge is smaller than the Great Monster, Zoltan;  And finally, OC Ted Larsen...ALL I know RE: Larsen and NE, Is that Koppen doesn't really HAVE an actual back-up and He IS getting up there in age, And that Larsen is decent (although he botched the worst hike ever made during The Senior Bowl...  IF NE had targeted an OC 1 single Rd earlier, they coulda selected the nation's BEST Center: BC's Matt Tenant. 

LOOK, I've stated this MANY times (see anthology thread of mine entitled "Drafting for D^mmies")- You DON'T draft for positional need AHEAD of Individual Talent...period.

Either way, NE DID and DOES need a RB- And again, as I've remarked also, A Big Young guy who can pick up those interior yards with NE's smaller, zone-blocking O-lineman, and coupled WITH Brady's excellent ability to step up in the pocket=ALL Means that NE should and critically NEEDS a powerful interior RB in order to keep those gap-shooting oppossing DTs honest, In the sense that a bigger RB won't simply fly right past them.

So In ALL, I want a Mid-Round RE-Draft.  Here goes:

Rather than selecting WR Taylor Price in Rd 3, NE stas at their original spot before BB apparently became a little too "trade-down happy":
    With the No. 24 selection of Round 3, NE selects (my fav WR): 

WR Eric Decker (stay in same draft spot-picked instead of Taylor Price)
    ~BEST route runner in college, Soft hands, Great wideout "awareness", and simply Ideal size @ 6'3 and 217lbs to BE NE's answer to the No. 2 wideout LONG-term (I was correct on Hakeem Nicks in '09 being the most polished wideout NFL ready, that NE coulda targeted and Nicks played superb for NY Giants).

OC Matt Tenant (moved down in draft and selected instead of Aaron Hernandez)
    ~6'4 1/2 300lbs...a projected 2nd Rd selection who somehow slipped to the bottom of Rd 5...Completely aware, Plays with nasty attitude, excellent starting Center prospect.  Here's a take on him:
    ~Comparing Tennant to active NFL centers, professional scouts can see parts of many players -- the intelligence of Matt Birk (Baltimore), the tenaciousness of Olin Kreutz (Chicago), the trap-blocking ability of Brad Meester (Jacksonville) and the consistent effort of Jeff Saturday (Indianapolis).

Older scouts also see the aggressive and combative nature of Tim Grunhard (ex-Kansas City), the explosiveness off the snap of Dwight Stephenson (ex-Miami), the field vision of Jim Langer (ex-Miami) and the hand placement ability of Jay Hilgenberg (ex-Chicago). With all of those skills combined into one player, it is no small wonder than many talent evaluators regard the Boston College blocker as one of the elite prospects at his position heading into the 2010 NFL Draft.

Since taking over the center position as a sophomore, what once was a revolving door for defensive linemen to get to BC quarterbacks (from 2002-06, Eagles centers had allowed a total of 34 sacks) has all but shut down, as Tennant has had just 1.5 quarterback sacks and two pressures registered against him in his last two seasons."

RB Anthony Dixon (Traded down again In place of selecting the second best collegiate Punter-Zoltan Mesko)
    ~6'1 233lbs...Quick to the hole, Interior tackle breaker with size, Falls forward...BUT, not extremely elusive in the open-field.  A 2nd Rd projection who somehow slipped in this extremely deep draft to Rd 6...A Steal.  5.6 yard average. A PERFECT zone blocking fit and the interior "hammer" needed to go along with Maroney.

DT (3-4 DE) Doug Worthington (Traded down yet 1 last time rather than selecting OC Ted Larsen)
    ~6'5 and 292lbs from big-time college program (Ohio State).  Good frame, Good Size, Good Strength, and Good Awareness...Less a pass-threat, than a guy with what's needed to take on 2 O-Lineman...and all it cost us was a Punter (who we probably coulda got as an UDFA)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I have to truly disagree with your opinion on drafting a punter in the 5th.  Anytime you can greatly improve a position and grab a starter with a 5th rd pick, that is a good pick to me.  Most 5ths would ride the bench.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year?:
    Posted by TrueChamp

Our running game will not be a problem this year. Fred Taylor will have a strong year......I just hope LT lets us get to the SB Money mouth

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfans. Show patsfans's posts

Look, I thought and STILL think that the 2010 NFL Draft, was and is the best Draft by NE POST-2004 ('05, '06, '07, '08, and even '09)...Yet this is NOT to say in anyway that I believe it was an unbelievable Draft.  First 4 picks: Solid, solid and SOLID (McCourty CB, Gronkowski TE, Cunningham OLB, and Spikes SILB).            RE : these guys-  ~ McCourty -the ONLY person in this draft whom I actually dedicated a thread on...Imho-And especially to those whom laud only McCourty's special teams skills...lmao.  As I stated in that thread I mentioned=I really WOULD take McCourty over CBs Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson=Devin McCourty barring injury=Next NFL shut-down CB (i.e. with a Complete Game)...  2nd in TTs on his team (as a CB!)..  5'11 and 195lbs (definately a decent size for a Rook CB), McCourty Can play press-man (good size and strength to jam a WR, with fluid hips and change of direction top-notch); Can play Off-man (incredible at jumping routes while not "biting" on fakes, great leaping ability and body control vs taller WRs); AND he can play zone just as well (great filmwork and overall awareness...simply THE best recovery speed and angles to ball/play)...WILL sacrifice his body vs the run and WILL bait QBs while in coverage (zon usually), For them to pass in his area.  He is a consumate and TOTAL team player and student of this game:  Just Check THIS stat out (ays it all RE: His skills, shut-down ability, form tackler and a helping teammate)-    " Against his main pass coverage assignments, McCourty has held those receivers to only 42 receptions for 386 yards on 158 passes targeted into his area, meaning that quarterbacks have completed just 26.58 percent of those tosses and their intended targets were limited to 9.19 yards per pass completion and 2.44 yards per attempt ."   " Devin has proven to be an excellent press coverage defender, as his excellent field vision has seen him make plays on the ball 45.39 percent of the time outside his area, coming to the aid after a teammate had blown an assignment. He has jammed/rerouted those pass catchers away from 148 incomplete attempts (average of 3.84 per game), the most of any cornerback in the Division I ranks during that sp an."  ...just a special teams guy?  Absurd.   ~ Rob Gronkowski -Best blocking TE by miles, MUCH Better hands than Jermaine Gresham, and actually faster than Gresham, much Better route runner (yet even though he trumped Gresham on all these qualities-Gresham has a little more "jostle" to hisstep, a lil' better open-field elusiveness does NOT beat someone who has softer hands, more refined route trees and is 100X the better blocker...IF not for his back surgery=Nation's BEST TE.      ~ Brandon Spikes =For ALL those who believe Spikes is merely a 2-down lineman due to his 40 time on a track field...Lmao again.  Look, he probably ain't gonna be in a nickel package on 3rd and a mile...But Spikes IS a 3-down SILB...  Better 3 cone drill than Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle, Daryll Washington, Sean Weatherspoon, and Jerry Hughes...SILB as I know it, On a passing down will either cover the TE, maybe RB in the flat, and/or blitz and/or remain in the middle in case of a play-action run.   Physical: 6'3 right around 250lbs-give or take a couple lbs.  Florida Career (starting only 39 games): 307TTs, 31.5 TFLs, 2 FF, 4 FRecoveries, 6.5 Sacks, 10 Passes Defensed, and 6 INTs (with 4 of them as TDs)...and remember-Brandon Spikes isan ILB NOT an OLB with those sick stats.  And some say he's just a 2 down guy because of a poor track 40-Guess what?  Rey Maualuga ran a 4.9 40 and Spikes a 5.0 40....yet Spikes had better numbers pretty much throughout actual on-field stats than Maualuga.    Instincts, Instincts, coupled with Extreme Passion and a love for doing filmwork=A firery leader with a nasty first step to the action.      ~ Jermaine Cunningham -Finding a 3-4 OLB ain't easy...In fact, It's almost fiction without a Top 15-20 Draft Selection being spent on one...  Not many collegiate OLBs have the size to set an edge against the run as a 3-4 OLB; Ya end up almost HAVING to target a collegiate DE in order to get the size & strength in your favor...Problem is, It becomes a massive gamble as even the very best scouts never can determine for the most part, Precisely HOW a college DE will play in space and vs the pass...exactly HOW they'll perform with their hand of the ground...  Long Arms, Very smart to make the DE-OLB switch and even understand a Bill Belichick playbook, Big enough BUT NEED to be fast enough-Cover a fast receiver, Set the edge vs run, AND big enough and good enough to be a pass-rushing threat=Lmao...ha.   Jermaine Cunningham: 6'3 1/2 266lbs with a 4.72 40, And with his 26 starts in 3 seasons, He's amassed this: 150 TTs, 34 TFLs, 19 Sacks, 7 PassesDef, 1 INT, and 3 FFumbles=Not easy getting even a "potential" 3-4 OLB in Round 3...man, AND he has good instincts, a great work-ethic and attitude, AND he tries hard on the field of play... ~ Yea, I know-I'm gettin' to my point Firstly though (lmao), RE- The LAST 4 selections: Solid, solid and SOLID as well (Welch OT, Deadrick DT=3-4 DE, Weston DT=3-4 NT, and Robinson QB)...   I'll be brief:  I AIN'T ever gonna complain about drafting a 6'6-1/2 307lb, smart and athletic Offensive Tackle, NOT in the 7th rd and NOT after seeing Sebastian Vollmer with very similiar intangibles and coming from a smaller unheralded program...no way.  Brandon Deadrick I actually wanted in later rds pre-draft...6'4 314lbs (and I believe?) Alabama runs a 3-4 (unsure though... Either way, He's a good fit: Selfless, Big, Hard-working, Good reaction time=A guy who does and WILL occupy 2 blockers ideally as a 3-4 DE.  Kade Weston? Now you won't EVER hear me complain about takin' a gamble on a 6'5 317lb guy who can be a 3-4 DE OR a 3-4 NT.  Zac Robinson=Now THIS is where I WANT NE to draft a QB... Why not with 12 picks, simply take a gamble on a QB at the end of the draft?  I'm glad they do this each year seemingly in order to hedge thir bets on finding a diamond in the rough...   THIS HERE IS THE CRUX OF THE MATTER : ...and HOW it relates to NE's Runningback situation. But, see the catch RE: Belichick's Good Draft: Given the sheer number of overall picks (In a 7 round draft, after all was said and done=12 selections), And the given of having 4 high round selections (4 in 1st 2 rounds)... Imho, Belichick really COULD have done better with his 4 Mid-Rd choices (the one's in between the first and last 4 guys- Price WR, Hernandez TE, Mesko P, and Larsen OC).  These were guys picked between and within the 27th pick of Round 3 and up to the 36th pick of Round 6. I have a QUESTION...WHY on earth, would you draft a still very raw WR In Round 3, A TE that no matter how skilled-One whom in ZERO way fits in with your pass-blocking TE norms in NE (where you coulda had a decent prospect as a DE, or a RB who has slipped down boards)...I DESPISE "parrallel" picks even IF you're intending to use him as something of an H-Back or a #2 WR...idk; AND...no matter HOW big he is physically and a good leader, and How MUCH our current Patriot Punter totally s#cks, You do NOT by any means draft the #2 rated Punter in Round 5...not with good prospects on the board, and team needs, And NOT one with a slower release and lesser averag than P Matt Dodge...Even though Dodge is smaller than the Great Monster, Zoltan;  And finally, OC Ted Larsen...ALL I know RE: Larsen and NE, Is that Koppen doesn't really HAVE an actual back-up and He IS getting up there in age, And that Larsen is decent (although he botched the worst hike ever made during The Senior Bowl...  IF NE had targeted an OC 1 single Rd earlier, they coulda selected the nation's BEST Center: BC's Matt Tenant.  LOOK, I've stated this MANY times (see anthology thread of mine entitled "Drafting for D^mmies")- You DON'T draft for positional need AHEAD of Individual Talent...period. Either way, NE DID and DOES need a RB- And again, as I've remarked also, A Big Young guy who can pick up those interior yards with NE's smaller, zone-blocking O-lineman, and coupled WITH Brady's excellent ability to step up in the pocket=ALL Means that NE should and critically NEEDS a powerful interior RB in order to keep those gap-shooting oppossing DTs honest, In the sense that a bigger RB won't simply fly right past them. So In ALL, I want a Mid-Round RE-Draft.  Here goes : Rather than selecting WR Taylor Price in Rd 3, NE stas at their original spot before BB apparently became a little too "trade-down happy": With the No. 24 selection of Round 3, NE selects (my fav WR):  WR Eric Decker (stay in same draft spot-picked instead of Taylor Price) ~BEST route runner in college, Soft hands, Great wideout "awareness", and simply Ideal size @ 6'3 and 217lbs to BE NE's answer to the No. 2 wideout LONG-term (I was correct on Hakeem Nicks in '09 being the most polished wideout NFL ready, that NE coulda targeted and Nicks played superb for NY Giants). OC Matt Tenant (moved down in draft and selected instead of Aaron Hernandez) ~6'4 1/2 300lbs...a projected 2nd Rd selection who somehow slipped to the bottom of Rd 5...Completely aware, Plays with nasty attitude, excellent starting Center prospect.  Here's a take on him: ~ Comparing Tennant to active NFL centers, professional scouts can see parts of many players -- the intelligence of Matt Birk (Baltimore), the tenaciousness of Olin Kreutz (Chicago), the trap-blocking ability of Brad Meester (Jacksonville) and the consistent effort of Jeff Saturday (Indianapolis). Older scouts also see the aggressive and combative nature of Tim Grunhard (ex-Kansas City), the explosiveness off the snap of Dwight Stephenson (ex-Miami), the field vision of Jim Langer (ex-Miami) and the hand placement ability of Jay Hilgenberg (ex-Chicago). With all of those skills combined into one player, it is no small wonder than many talent evaluators regard the Boston College blocker as one of the elite prospects at his position heading into the 2010 NFL Draft. Since taking over the center position as a sophomore, what once was a revolving door for defensive linemen to get to BC quarterbacks (from 2002-06, Eagles centers had allowed a total of 34 sacks) has all but shut down, as Tennant has had just 1.5 quarterback sacks and two pressures registered against him in his last two seasons ." RB Anthony Dixon (Traded down again In place of selecting the second best collegiate Punter-Zoltan Mesko) ~6'1 233lbs...Quick to the hole, Interior tackle breaker with size, Falls forward...BUT, not extremely elusive in the open-field.  A 2nd Rd projection who somehow slipped in this extremely deep draft to Rd 6...A Steal.  5.6 yard average. A PERFECT zone blocking fit and the interior "hammer" needed to go along with Maroney. DT (3-4 DE) Doug Worthington (Traded down yet 1 last time rather than selecting OC Ted Larsen) ~6'5 and 292lbs from big-time college program (Ohio State).  Good frame, Good Size, Good Strength, and Good Awareness...Less a pass-threat, than a guy with what's needed to take on 2 O-Lineman...and all it cost us was a Punter (who we probably coulda got as an UDFA)
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Lazarus - you have machines for fingers :)

Some solid points - I'll have to sit down and pound out a response later on when I'm not at work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Lazarus - you have machines for fingers :)
    Some solid points - I'll have to sit down and pound out a response later on when I'm not at work
    ."

Lol...I always start out with the best of intentions to make myself poignant AND succinct...than when I haven't even breached the thread's subject matter after I've written for an hour and a half, I say, "Pal...you wrote yourself into a corner yet again...too long to erase, too far in to head back."  As Caesar would say, "The die is cast," So put on the coffee and le's do dis.  Hey did you ALL know that upon Caesar triumphantly returning to Rome with his Legions in tow, That he entered the city riding an all-white horse chariot that was shaped like a ph#llic symbol, and that he was accompanied on his "chariot" by 1 persoon only, a simple male slave servant who's job it was to whisper in Caesar's ear over and over again: "You're just a man, you're just a man...".  Yes...seriously (I'm thinking I might enter Washington after being elected President the same way...the crowds will no doubt adore me as almost a God incarnate...but that's another story).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

In Response to Re: Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year? : why spend time digging through other people's practice squads when you can go into your own. i hope that thomas clayton at least make the PS. i think he is a powerful guy who could possibly be a  surprise. he was a preseason hero in san fran.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

I agree!  He has a mohawk too!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I heard they like some guy named Maroney. He's supposed to have great potential.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year? : TC, what if they did make it?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Based solely on the fact BB did not draft or pick up a rb(so far) I would say he has every confidence in Taylor / Morris being effective so....if they were some how to stay healthy I would hope that we incorporate more of the run game. I am a big believer in our lack of commitment to the run being our main problem on offense. I think the 2007 season hurt us as much as it helped us in the aspect that we rely on Brady wayyyy tooooo much.

Please don't take me the wrong way IF(BIG) our run game can stay healthy all year then we should have enough depth even at the groups old age to be a balanced attack again. I just don't believe it can happen given Sammy and Fred's LONG LIST of injuries.

Play Action should still be our best offensive weapon. We now have the TE personnel and receiving options to make it happen again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I heard they like some guy named Maroney. He's supposed to have great potential.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I have always been a Maroney supporter and I still am. Given how inept our offensive plan was last year I am surprised maroney did not get injured as well as every other rb not named Kevin Faulk. I would like to have seen us give Maroney the ball 20x a game in the last quarter of the season in order to A. establish a run threat B. wear down defense's that never got tired dropping back to cover Sam Aiken and the recently deceased Ben Watson. Why not run Maroney out of a spread formation(Faulk)? Or here is a crazy idea...throw the fastest most athletic rb on our team a screen pass??? Instead it was 2 TE set(where Watson nor Baker could really block) and Moss out wide run Maroney up the gut against  9 in the box. Craziness. It hurt me to watch and made me miss Charlie Weiss in the worst way.

I know he will never be accepted by lots of fans i just think that in today's NFL where you really do need a 2 headed rushing attack Maroney is a perfect piece to an offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The pats were ranked 12th last year on the ground and they constantly had someone out. I'm asking what you think if they stay healthy?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

I think IF they stay healthy especially come December then the NFL will remember why the Patriots are still the best team in football.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Any RB possibilities after Taylor and Morris go down with injury again this year? : I have always been a Maroney supporter and I still am. Given how inept our offensive plan was last year I am surprised maroney did not get injured as well as every other rb not named Kevin Faulk. I would like to have seen us give Maroney the ball 20x a game in the last quarter of the season in order to A. establish a run threat B. wear down defense's that never got tired dropping back to cover Sam Aiken and the recently deceased Ben Watson. Why not run Maroney out of a spread formation(Faulk)? Or here is a crazy idea...throw the fastest most athletic rb on our team a screen pass??? Instead it was 2 TE set(where Watson nor Baker could really block) and Moss out wide run Maroney up the gut against  9 in the box. Craziness. It hurt me to watch and made me miss Charlie Weiss in the worst way. I know he will never be accepted by lots of fans i just think that in today's NFL where you really do need a 2 headed rushing attack Maroney is a perfect piece to an offense.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I hear you. The Pats had a serious problem with predictability last year. If fans can sit at home and know what the play is going to be 75% of the time then you know the other team knows it too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I hear you. The Pats had a serious problem with predictability last year. If fans can sit at home and know what the play is going to be 75% of the time then you know the other team knows it too."

Sorta touched upon thi concept some time back:  It seems that during NE's SB run in the first half of this decade, They had players with NO singularly UNbelievable traits in their skill-sets...  Meaning: NO blazing fast RB who could turn the corner quick, yet was a relatively poor between-the-tackles runner (Maroney); No 2 down Defensive players who were excellent vs the run, but whom couldn't cover a man on a passing play to save their lives (sorta AD & Burgess)/and vice versa-NO passing play guys only, but weren't even close to being tough vs the running play (Gary Guyton when playing SILB); NO pass-rushing threat, yet who were awful against setting the edge vs the run on their side (TBC); NO WR who was simply a HOF long-field threat, yet weren't built well for going over the middle of the field (Moss)- Etc, etc. etc. and etc..
         Point is:  NO players who were an absurd talent in 1 or 2 aspects of their game, yet were sorely lacking at some other area...

NE had guys (to me at least)-WithOUT superstar skill-sets in 1 area (for the most part)...Rather, NE took the field with above-average players who didn't have any one of a kind great skills, NE took the field with players who instead, Had ZERO weaknesses, ALL-around smart & decent enough players (again in the majority), with a more COMPLETE Game set of skills...

To me, This meant (and still means), 1 Thing:  NE could game-plan for their OPPONENTS weakest links, play-calling, and/or players/schematics which were tailor made for an opponent's skill-set... 

Get It?  In case #2 (great players in 1 aspect, yet poor players in another aspect)=YOU NEED to gameplan far more in order to tailor make YOUR play-calling for THAT specific player/group...but so too, Can your opponent EXPLOIT a noted weakness/or lacking ability, whether it be ZERO pass-rush, OR a RB-by committee (each guy having strengths and weaknesses of their running abilities), etc, etc.  NOW, In case #1 (above average players whom had no sensational qualities of their game, but were far more rounded in the total game package), Suddenly, YOU have the power-No weaknesses, No pigeon-holing of play-calling to be the beneficiaries of someone's unique skill-sets on your squad...  YOU, thus have the versatility...and with it-The control to play towards your opponent's strength and weaknesses BOTH on Offense AND on Defense.