Anybody else tired of all the negativity?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Anybody else tired of all the negativity?

Anybody else getting tired of all the negative reporting being done by the NY controlled Boston writers? I stopped frequenting the Herald a couple of years ago because all they did was try to create controversy out of nothing and if that wouldn't work then they made stuff up. Seeems to me the same thing is happening here now too. It really is too bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: Anybody else tired of all the negativity?

I too am over it. Everybody says that Boston sport fans are crytical of their teams. It's not us. it the damn NY controlled media. They blanket us with negativity and cause anger and frustration.

So YA.. I'm with you..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

In Response to Anybody else tired of all the negativity?:
    [QUOTE]Anybody else getting tired of all the negative reporting being done by the NY controlled Boston writers? I stopped frequenting the Herald a couple of years ago because all they did was try to create controversy out of nothing and if that wouldn't work then they made stuff up. Seeems to me the same thing is happening here now too. It really is too bad.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

I got tired of it a couple years ago.  It doesn't seem like anything is going to change any time soon, though.  It's the nature of the Boston sports media beast.  The current writers are to ingrained and have bias that dates back decades, not to mention that sports journalism in the newspaper form is dying along with the newspapers, and the best way to drive ratings in radio and TV is to be controvercial (and negative)... So, accept it for what it is, stick to the games, forums and selected shows as best you can, it will save your blood pressure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

I was thinking the same thing.  We have a team that is in the middle of rebuiding and they are still going to win the AFC East and make a run in the playoffs.  I'm sure the 20 teams that aren't going to make the playoffs wouldn't mind having such a "bad" year.  Some of the fans are just as bad as the Boston media.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

New Englanders are cynical by nature. It's all that ingrained Calvinism.

If the local media were full of inveterate homers whose glasses were always half full, you'd hate that, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

In Response to Re: Anybody else tired of all the negativity?:
    [QUOTE] If the local media were full of inveterate homers whose glasses were always half full, you'd hate that, too.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Just turn on WEEI after 2pm thats what you will hear

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Shaughnessy needs to get laid or something. I can't read his stuff. Loved Reiss while he was here and he is still my preferred guy for Pats info. Gives info and insight without loading articles with his personal baggage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

prairiemike.... what you say is very true. 

There can be constructive criticism versus outright negativity with a smattering of positive.  There are a handful of fans, as well as Boston beat writers, who dream of 2007 and why can't we get it back each game.  Unless the team wins 59 - 0 every game, they ask, "what's wrong with the Pats?"  This year, more than most years this decade, we have seen a greater change in the make-up of the team than ever before.  How anyone can expect a repeat of 2007, let alone the success of the SB years, without accepting the fact this IS a much different team than those is truly drinking from the "kool-aid"!!

As ALLDAWAYPATS sez....  there are many teams in the league who wished they had just sniffed the success the Pats have achieved this decade, even with all the changes.  The Pats "bad" year is their season of a lifetime.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

bill makes an excellent point here.

Last season, Brady went down and the Pats still managed 11-5 and were playing well when it counted, only to miss out on the tournament by the slimmest of tie-breakers.

This season, the Pats completely revamped their defense -- did exactly what many here have been clamoring for them to do, which is to get younger -- and are again on the verge of a divsion title.

Those would be wonderful campaigns for most NFL teams. For the New England Patriots, they are down years. For a little perspective, I was listening to the Vikings-Panthers game on the radio Sunday night and was amazed at how often Paul Allen (the radio voice of the Vikings) referred to the "division champion Minnesota Vikings," as if that was some kind of big deal. True elite teams do not play for divsion titles.

I'm not trying to insult anyone in particular, but there is evidence to suggest that many Pats fans have become jaded by success.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I really don't mind hearing the non Koolaid point of view.  That said, more of the writers are drinking Krapaid, and are not coming across as neutral.  Reiss has to be one of the few who keeps an even keel.  He drinks neither Koolaid nor Krapaid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

hell, im probably the biggest homer i know.  an im fine with that.  i love the patriots and i believe that until the season is over they are still SB contenders.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Anybody else tired of all the negativity?:
    [QUOTE]Anybody else getting tired of all the negative reporting being done by the NY controlled Boston writers? I stopped frequenting the Herald a couple of years ago because all they did was try to create controversy out of nothing and if that wouldn't work then they made stuff up. Seeems to me the same thing is happening here now too. It really is too bad.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

I gave up on those guys a couple of years ago and I'm a much happier sports fan for it. Everyday the Pats front page comes up on BDC there's another Gasper negative column. All I need to see is the headline and I know what the content is. I also avoid threads that are written in that light or powered by trolls. I know what the Pats are made of as most people here do. I remain hopeful but I'm already planning for the draft.I don't if that is being negative or not but the draft is good and we need some help.I'll enjoy the games until we're through then I'll start routing against the teams I hate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

If you work for ESPN you are a hack and a puppet....and Mike Reiss works for ESPN so f*ck him too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I long for the days of Will McDonough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Amen. brother. Chris Gasper is turning into a real jerk. Ron Borges would be proud.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Couldnt agree more, does anyone else think it's far worse, than say 5-10 yrs ago. I dont know, maybe its me..no its not. These writers, as TK would say "this is a gots to situation"! I have never really liked both papers, Herald in particular(for personal reasons),I just thought there used to be a healthy dichotomy of relevant opinons. Now there just seems to be propensity toward lazy, doctrinaire assessments that are so translucent its laughable at best. I mean does anyone doubt that these guys(I use the word guys loosely) have had the "see, I told you so", speeches about 81, since Sean Combs was know as puff-daddy.(before p-diddy, diddy, etc.) Like I said its completely translucent, it also really gets to me, I  mean really gets me pissed. Shouldnt we be able to expect some type of professionalism, Im not saying I want all homers, not by any means, but this is crazy. Im curious to hear who you guys listen to, or read, definetely could use some help, so all suggestions are welcome. Thanx,  GO PATS!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Mike:

The Boston sportswriters seem far more "jaded" than the fans. I guess they don't like it when fans focus on the team, rather than on them. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I hear ya on Gasper and Borges. I used to like both of them, now it seems like they all have a secret masons-like club. Maybe the Gaping A$$holes, Dog$hit sandwhich eaters society. Maybe headed by Bob "drool cup" Ryan, Dan" I ONLY have ONE DRINK after work" Shaughnessy. I also cant stand, I mean hate w/ a passion when writers, fans, keep bringing up 07'. I can see if the Pats had that type of offense before than, but they didnt. Brady never had more than 28 TD's before 07' and this was a defensive-minded ,efficient offense, and a very well coach team. They had a better game plan and were quick to make adjustments that ultimately led them to victory.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Ian Rapoport (Herald) seems pretty good....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

Maybe it was just as bad ten years ago, but sports media coverage was not 24-7 with internet, TV and radio.  Boston Sports was really underserved until this year, the problem is the only sports guys getting the TV and Radio gigs are our own local reporter blowhards who all carry long standing bias (against the Patriot organization).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

You can add Mazz to that list, I just got sucked into reading his " 5 Burning Questions" article. Stupid me thought with the big pic of BB as the lead in to the article that he was actually asking BB the questions, but no. He was asking himself the questions and answering them with typical negative spin. If I wanted to read rhetorical questions I would go to that new rag the Boston Rhetorical, The Rag for People who want to watch others ask questions about stuff they really don't know much about and then answer those questions with a negative spin.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Yup..it's human nature to not want to hear bad things about objects of your affection. In this case..your beloved Pats.
    Whether it be politics....hard core repubs like Rush/O'reilly and Hannity.
    And libs usually enjoy Rachael Maddow...The Daily Show..Olbermann. etc.
    religion..or sport. people tend to listen to those they agree with..and will not upset them.
    However..media cannot be as transparent as these forums where fans wear their allegiance and emotions on their sleeve..getting easily upset when someone "crosses a line".
    It's just what fans do..and the media does not want to be. You don't see 40 year old sportswriters walking around with their Patriots jerseys on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I know isnt he terrible, I made the mistake of listening to their show, first I cant get over how bad it is. I mean really , really bad! Second why are 99% of the callers/listeners so stupid. I cant get over that, not just the ones who listen to them, but sports talk in general. They'll call up with the most irrelevant q's someone can think, and at the drop of a hat, in mid-sentence completely change their mind when kitty-litter brain Felger/Mass disagree. It really astonishes me, to the point were I'll keep listening, you know, "will the next guy's q's be as putrid as the last" type thing. Nothing really we can do about it though, besides not listening or reading that garbage. I wish we could get them all in a room for some type of debate, you know a bunch of knowledgeable fans and loser writers w/ the intelligence and skills of Glenn Beck and Kermit the Frog.(No disrespect to Kermit)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

See its not that I dont want to hear opposing thoughts and viewpoints, not at all. Just the contrary, I love being challenged phys. and ment. Lets use 81 as an example, a 4th grader could see this coming, like I said before they had these speeches ready to go from jump st. And they are so wrong about the points they use to make their arguements. This guy has done everything, everything right here and have been itching to kill him. The site Oakland as example and say he quit there, I never once heard that whoever was playing QB for them was sacked over 120 times! Two years, 120 sack's, so they clearly have no o-line, horrible D, and how much help did Moss have on his side of the ball, Joey Porter, Lamont Jordan, Aaron Brooks. No they never bring that up cause they just dont like the guy, that simple. That does sound kind of childish, but the way the make him out to be, you wouldnt know that he is 2nd all time in rec. TD's. He has 2 more than Owens and has played 2 less years. And the famous "I play when I want to play" is such a joke! Anyone that does an ounce of research knows that quote is taken savagely out of context. Its really not even funny, these guys are supposed to be professionals, nut use that as an example to further their arguement. Again I love hearing opposing p.o.v ,but ones that dont have agenda, and ones that are backed up w/ facts. Moss is no angel, he's done some stuff that deserve 's to be called out on, squirting a ref, stupid, driving w/ a cross-guard on his hood(lol) for a block(lol). But they cant come up w/ an orginal thought so they continue to use the same, uneducated arguement as most. Just to use him as an example, there are plenty of other ones Im sure most of you know as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Anybody else getting tired of all the negative reporting being done by the NY controlled Boston writers?"

I think this question is slightly off the mark. Here's why: what is troubling most is not the negativity -though that is irritating - but the fact that these guys have crowned themselves as opinion-makers, rather than reporters. When was the last time any of these guys actually did real research on a story. I still see their job as bringing us insights and facts we don't have because they have so much more access. 

Instead they write opinion-laden rants that are inferior to many of the message board hacks on this board. When I read the columns and see that many of us who comment on this board could easily post the same kind of rant, I know they are doing poor journalism and weak reporting. 

Mazz's columns are typically childish rants that any of us in here could write in our sleep. So the Globe is selling us opinionated cult of personality. Do these guys even sit down with game film and study it? Each week, Texas Pat posts a better post-game breakdown in this forum than anything in the Globe. Give me Texas Pat over bitter Shaughnessy any day. 

When Tomase messed up on his Pats super bowl story, I wrote to the Herald and said I would never read them again because they really didn't punish him for his horrible reporting job. But honestly this team at the Globe doesn't do any better. Reiss was the best - he didn't have to go for cheap controversy because he did his homework and earned his page views the old fashioned way - solid, "dig deep" reporting.