Anybody think fake fieldgoal was a smart play?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Anybody think fake fieldgoal was a smart play?

Up 14-3 at time, 3 point chipshot and he goes for the fake on 4th and 9???? Im thinking what an idiot......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sd071. Show sd071's posts

Re: Anybody think fake fieldgoal was a smart play?

Agreed.  In hindsight it doesn't matter, but at the time it was dumb.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

No problem going for it on fourth down, sometimes it takes gutst calls to win it. Giving up a Field Goal early in the game is usually a victory for the D, getting a TD on that drive would've been huge. Niners offense weren't moving the ball either, so they wouldve been pinned anyways.

That being said, I do have a problem going for it when you need 9 yards to convert. I don't know what Tuckers 40 time is yet, but I doubt it's that fast. So, bad call, but I liked the guts the coach showed. I'm a firm believer that conservative coaches won't win Super Bowls...unless it's two conservative coaches going head to head (Lovie vs Dungie)

I honestly thought that call was going to cost them the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Where it really showed the blunder was in 4th quarter when Balt kicked the fieldgoal to get to 31 points. I think it was 4th and 3 from around the 7 yard line. Had they saved the play for that point its a TD to seal game...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Up 14-3, you confidence in your D, I have not problem with it. That is what playing to win is. It shows killer's instinct. Had the power outage not happened, the game would not have been close.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I actually liked the call. 

Obviously if the niners had scored on that last possession and won the game by three it would not have looked like such a smart call. 

But the thing I liked about it was the daring and the attitude and the "go for the jugular" attitude. 

I think that sends the right message to the players. 

I suppose you think Belichick's "play not to lose" punts on the Baltimore 30 were the better approach? I hope not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Up 14-3 at time, 3 point chipshot and he goes for the fake on 4th and 9???? Im thinking what an idiot......

I liked John Harbaugh's aggressiveness! The Ravens came within a yard of making the first down. Had the Ravens made the first down, or scored on that played, would you be calling Harbaugh an idiot? Even though the try failed, it left the 49er offense pinned in...with a first and ten from their own 6 yard line. After a 3 and out, the Ravens got the ball back in great field position, and scored a TD on a Flacco to Jacobi Jones 56 yard hook-up...putting Baltimore up 21-3.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

hmmm I guess the niners would have been up by four with the go-ahead touchdown so I take it back, was an even better call. :) 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I liked the call at the time and still do.  Aggressive, playing to win call that showed confidence in his D.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I didn't like the call.  I would have taken the three points. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Without being considered a troll, I believe the Pats tried a fake punt against the Jets in the POs and lost. The fake FG put SF deep in their own end anyway. Niners go 3 and out, long pass to Jones, TD. Guess it didn't matter anyway, if you were watching the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Every play matters. Get a FG and then kick off or do what they did.

EVERYTHING changes after that call. EVERY decision changes what happens next. 

Saying it did not mean anything is saying everything with either call was the same the rest of the game and that can never be true.

Every play and it's result dictates the next. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

of course it wasn't a good call, it was shocking and TERRIBLE! They are very lucky it didn't cost them. They would have had a 31-6 lead and it's hard to imagine they would have blow that. Also, potentially at the end of the game it would have been 37-29 which is a whole different situation. Balt was lucky it didn't come back and bite them!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Wasn't taht at the end of the half

Didn't the Ravens stop them cold and gt a punt return

and didn't they then score???

I did'nt like the call, especially with 9 yds

but it did work coz of the Defense

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I liked it, it was a gamble kinda like when the Saints came out and did the onsides kick in the SB.

They didn't get 3 points, but the tradeoff was his defense was killing them at the time and the 9ners were pinned near their goal line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

When Bellichick leaves three points on the field by punting instead of trying a field goal, they lose. I think you take all the points you can get.

Worked out well. though, so it was definitely the right call.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

You play to win the game. Hindsight is always 20-20. Ur a genius if it works, a goat if it don't