Anyone Regret The Seymour Trade Now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Anyone Regret The Seymour Trade Now?

We look pretty good, clearly a playoff and superbowl contender.  Our defense looks as good as it has in years and now we have a future 1st round pick from the trainwreck that is the Raiders.  With Josh McDaniels doing a hell of a job in Denver, the always solid Chargers, and the Chiefs which should be a little better next season, the Raiders will probably be a top 5 pick and year with a possible rookie salary cap.    

It's exciting to think the Patriots could draft either Matt Light's replacement at left tackle, a stud WR to replace Randy Moss, or a defensive playermaker to team with Mayo and Meariweather for years to come.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Re: Anyone Regret The Seymour Trade Now?

It's hard to argue that the draft pick isn't a good thing but you'll never convince me that not having Seymour makes this defense better.  So the Pats have a nice pick in a few years, but are they better right now?  No.  Obviously you need to give up something to get something...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I think if Seymour was here it wouldnt be much of a difference.

Even if it was, he was not going to resign in NE and BB would be looking for his replacement next year instead of this year.

Sometimes its better to just rip the band-aid off.

NE already has Light's replacement in Vollmer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Regret The Seymour Trade Now?:
    [QUOTE]It's hard to argue that the draft pick isn't a good thing but you'll never convince me that not having Seymour makes this defense better.  So the Pats have a nice pick in a few years, but are they better right now?  No.  Obviously you need to give up something to get something...
    Posted by BrooklineRob[/QUOTE]

Though I agree that the Pats would be better with Seymour than without him, I'm of the opinion that he never lived up to the big money contract he received from the team, though, in fairness, part of that was due to him being plagued by injuries. 

Had the Pats kept him, he would have been gone, one way or another, at the end of the season. The maxim in football is that its' better to get rid of a guy a year too early, than a year too late.

Just as theres' no doubt in your mind that the Pats would be better this year with Seymour, theres' no doubt in my mind that this was the correct move for a franchise thats' built for the long haul. The Pats got premium value for a good, but fading player. This was a steal of a deal for the Patriots.

The only question I have is...what will the NY media and Commissioner Roger "Jets"  Goodell try to do to strip the Patriots of this pick?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Nope. He would have been gone after this season and Patriots management is all about fielding a competative team every year. For that you need lots of draft choices. We may not even see that pick in 2011 if BB can get some good value out of it in the 2010 draft. We all know how much he loves the second round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I can't prove we would be better.  It sounds logical to say we would be though.  What I can say is that you can't really notice he's gone.  Maybe we'd be better with him, but our D sure didn't drop down a level without him.  If we did, where?

I liked the trade.  Seymour was a good player when viewed from a "cost is no cost" perspective.  However, he was somewhat injury prone and didn't play up to his big contract.  Then again, few players do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Anyone Regret The Seymour Trade Now?:
    [QUOTE]We look pretty good, clearly a playoff and superbowl contender.  Our defense looks as good as it has in years and now we have a future 1st round pick from the trainwreck that is the Raiders.  With Josh McDaniels doing a hell of a job in Denver, the always solid Chargers, and the Chiefs which should be a little better next season, the Raiders will probably be a top 5 pick and year with a possible rookie salary cap.     It's exciting to think the Patriots could draft either Matt Light's replacement at left tackle, a stud WR to replace Randy Moss, or a defensive playermaker to team with Mayo and Meariweather for years to come.  
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

The ONLY way to get a measurement of this trade is to se who the Pats draft and how he does.  Otherqwise, I like the trade, seeing the Pats were able to get a #1 from a sink hole of an organization for an aging, injury plagued player they wre probably not going to bring back next season. Getting a #1 for a "walk" isn'tr that bad a deal. here's something to think about: What if the trade doesn't go down, and the Pats lose in teh division round, and word leaks that they could have traded him for a #1 but didn't? Looking at another draft choice int eh high 20's AND cutting him would have ruffled some feathers around this board.

The Pats done good. They have a low #1 selection, and he's languishing out on the left coast  for Mr Senility, undoutedly spending the millions he's going to get from the Raid-uhs before next year. Funny thing is I know some Raid-uh fans who were very vocal on the positives of getting him. Now, not a single stinking word from any of 'em. They know that a #1 is their furute and NOT Seymour.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I don't regret it and I don't believe I ever will. Our line looks as good if not better than it did last year. I'm not saying that it's because we traded Seymour but playing decent has a way of making you forget about trades. Tully is much better than I thought he would be also. This guy seems to thrive in this defense.Seymour is gone, you gotta move on. I might write a song with that title.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I thought unloading Seymour was a great move. He was a big cap hit and hadn't played to his all-pro reputation in years. And I doubt we'd be getting any more pressure with him in the lineup. Doesn't anyone remember Seneca Wallace last year? We made him look like a stud by not getting any heat on him either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Regret The Seymour Trade Now?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Anyone Regret The Seymour Trade Now? : The ONLY way to get a measurement of this trade is to se who the Pats draft and how he does.  Otherqwise, I like the trade, seeing the Pats were able to get a #1 from a sink hole of an organization for an aging, injury plagued player they wre probably not going to bring back next season. Getting a #1 for a "walk" isn'tr that bad a deal. here's something to think about: What if the trade doesn't go down, and the Pats lose in teh division round, and word leaks that they could have traded him for a #1 but didn't? Looking at another draft choice int eh high 20's AND cutting him would have ruffled some feathers around this board. The Pats done good. They have a low #1 selection, and he's languishing out on the left coast  for Mr Senility, undoutedly spending the millions he's going to get from the Raid-uhs before next year. Funny thing is I know some Raid-uh fans who were very vocal on the positives of getting him. Now, not a single stinking word from any of 'em. They know that a #1 is their furute and NOT Seymour.  
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

Oakland fans should have realized it would take a lot more than Seymore to straighten out the Raiders. An act of God might have a chance. Since the chances of him staying there are nil what did they gain? As for the pick I think there's a 50 50 chance it will get traded during the 2010 draft. It will certainly be on the table.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

No, not when you consider that this might be a top 5 pick a couple years for now. Come on Uncle Al and make a couple more dumb moves for next season!