Anyone want Ben Watson back with the NE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Anyone want Ben Watson back with the NE?

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says impending free agent TEs Ben Watson and Alex Smith are unlikely to be re-signed by the Browns.

Watson recently turned 32, and he could be an option to return to New England as a backup and locker room presence. Smith, 31 in May, hasn't been the same player since leaving Tampa Bay in 2009, but he has the ability to play both tight end and fullback. Cleveland is expected to give third-year TE Jordan Cameron every opportunity, but the Plain Dealer wouldn't rule out the Browns targeting Martellus Bennett or Dustin Keller in free agency. Related: Martellus Bennett, Alex Smith, Dustin Keller, Jordan Cameron   Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Feb 10 - 9:35 AM

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Anyone want Ben Watson back with the NE?

Nope.... don't need him...how many drops did he have here. He was nothing more than a tease... Besides the Ballard move only convinces me BB is even craftier than I thought.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says impending free agent TEs Ben Watson and Alex Smith are unlikely to be re-signed by the Browns.

Watson recently turned 32, and he could be an option to return to New England as a backup and locker room presence. Smith, 31 in May, hasn't been the same player since leaving Tampa Bay in 2009, but he has the ability to play both tight end and fullback. Cleveland is expected to give third-year TE Jordan Cameron every opportunity, but the Plain Dealer wouldn't rule out the Browns targeting Martellus Bennett or Dustin Keller in free agency. Related: Martellus Bennett, Alex Smith, Dustin Keller, Jordan Cameron   Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Feb 10 - 9:35 AM

OH GOD, PLEASE NO !!!

Besides, Ridley has exclusive rights to fumbling the ball, don't think he'll take kindly to old fumbler extraordinaire walking back in.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

nope. ballard is better, can catch the ball, block, and is younger than watson. we are set at tight end. great move by belichick in getting ballard. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

nope. we're ok at the TE position

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

LOL. NO. How would he getting playing time with Gronk, Hernandez, and Ballard ahead of him? Has no hands.

I'd rather BB get a rookie in the draft like Levine Toilolo, kid is 6'8 and a beast. Or Joseph Fauria, he's 6'7 and another beast

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I agree with bobbysu...that dude (Daniel Graham) could really pave the road and was essentially another lineman...and COULD catch a few balls too.  Not sure what he has left in the tank, but I think he just resigned with a team not all that long ago.  I would love to bring him back.  I haven't seen him on any injury reports for a long while...so durability seems to be pretty good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Nope rather have Graham.

Really? A deadbeat. Don't you know any TE BB picks up now hass to meet the Gronk or Hernadz litmus test.

Graham and Watson are has beens, and were when they were in NE. never dependable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The part I find amusing is the locker room presence part - Watson had a little problem in the locker room at Georgia if I remember - it involved him being a bit of a cancer. He also was the first Patriot draft choice to go toe to toe with the Patriots on length of contract, before caving in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

The part I find amusing is the locker room presence part - Watson had a little problem in the locker room at Georgia if I remember - it involved him being a bit of a cancer. He also was the first Patriot draft choice to go toe to toe with the Patriots on length of contract, before caving in.

I think the word they were looking for was "fixture", kinda like the lockers and showers.  We need players, not locker room presences.  BB doesn't allow locker room screw-ups.  They catch the first bus out of town.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

We need players, not locker room presences. 

Nailed it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

We have 3 starting TE's already.

Let's focus our energy somewhere else.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

I agree with bobbysu...that dude (Daniel Graham) could really pave the road and was essentially another lineman...and COULD catch a few balls too.  Not sure what he has left in the tank, but I think he just resigned with a team not all that long ago.  I would love to bring him back.  I haven't seen him on any injury reports for a long while...so durability seems to be pretty good.

Crumpler was the same except he was bigger. Probably a big reason why BJGE had such a nice 2010. Sadly it didn't work out as he dropped an easy TD in the endzone against the Jets in the playoffs that year if I remember correctly.

As for Graham, he was signed by NO last year and released after 6 games. I think he's pretty much cooked at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The last thing we need is another butterfingers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

LOL. NO. How would he getting playing time with Gronk, Hernandez, and Ballard ahead of him? Has no hands.

I'd rather BB get a rookie in the draft like Levine Toilolo, kid is 6'8 and a beast. Or Joseph Fauria, he's 6'7 and another beast

according to cbs sports they have toilolo as a 7th round/FA prospect.  I wonder why? the dude has amazing physical skills.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I was always a fan of his, especially after the 2005 INT tackle he made.

Watson has more heart than most of the guys in the locker room today. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

But TE is the last thing we need, so after we resign our guys, pick up a safety and pass-rusher, if Watson still wants a camp try out, I'd love to have him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think the word they were looking for was "fixture", kinda like the lockers and showers.  We need players, not locker room presences.  BB doesn't allow locker room screw-ups.  They catch the first bus out of town.

You forgot 2009 already? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

nope. ballard is better, can catch the ball, block, and is younger than watson. we are set at tight end. great move by belichick in getting ballard. 

Don't know about better, but I'd rather have Ballard since he's the better OPTION. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Ben's not coming through these doors anytime soon. The Patriots have the best corps of TE's in the NFL bar none! Gronk,Hernandez,Ballard,Fells,Hoomanuwanii, and even Hoffman. Not likely to see BB bring in another TE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

You forgot 2009 already? 

Is this a reference to the Gang of 4 that were late for practice???  If so, I think you are making my point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

But TE is the last thing we need, so after we resign our guys, pick up a safety and pass-rusher, if Watson still wants a camp try out, I'd love to have him. 

I think you are forgetting the Pats do not employ a "tight end"...they have an X TE and a Y TE...they prefer 2 players at each. Gronk and his back up which is Ballard. Hernandez and his back up which was supposed to be Shiancoe, but could be Huma or Watson?. Huma plays ST, Watson does not. might be a difference maker

Seems Gronk, Hern and Ballard are locks. Fells seems to be in trouble. Huma is a free agent...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Ben's not coming through these doors anytime soon. The Patriots have the best corps of TE's in the NFL bar none! Gronk,Hernandez,Ballard,Fells,Hoomanuwanii, and even Hoffman. Not likely to see BB bring in another TE.

Ten bucks they draft one...