Are Brady's problems due to the loss of Koppen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Are Brady's problems due to the loss of Koppen?

Interesting observation from the Jets defensive coordinater, Mike Pettrine. He feels that Brady appears  anxious and is not comfortable standing in the pocket now that Koppen is gone. I don't think this has been discussed here, but this makes a lot of sense--Koppen has been there from the beginning and Brady s production has gone down since Koppen got hurt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4709033/jets-coordinator-center-hurts-pats

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Are Brady's problems due to the loss of Koppen?

It's hard to judge O-line play without watching tape, but I think some of the problems handling the interior pass rush are due to Connolly missing blocks.  Rusty is going to be all over me, I'm sure, because he's convinced Mankins is the problem and Connolly is great, but I think Connolly misses a fair number of blocks and some of what might look like missed blocks by Mankins are really the result of Mankins doing his best to pick up guys that Connolly let through.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Geez Rusty . ..  you got to this thread even faster than I thought you would!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It can't be because we pass 75% of the time and opposing defenses are teeing off on Brady that would make him want to get the ball from under center as quickly as humanly possible could it?

An offensive line is at a huge disadvantage when there isn't even the hint of run play in the air.  We have the best offensive line in the league, that's not the problem.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Rusty . . . go to NFL.com and watch the Woodley sack of Brady in the Pittsburgh game and tell me who's at fault.  A lot of people blame Mankins for that (because Mankins was in the backfield when the sack occurred), but if you watch closely, you'll see Connolly wiff on Woodley first and Waters and Mankins both trying to catch up to him afterwards. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You know I agree with you and Wozzy about too much reliance on spread formations and the short passing/draw game.  That does make it harder on linemen . . . still I do think that there's some merit in the argument that the center position is the weakest link in what is generally a pretty good line and that that's why we're seeing so much of the pressure on Brady this year coming up the middle.  We've seen that at least since 2007.  It's not just Connolly.  It was Koppen too. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2011. Show mighty2011's posts

I think we've just played some tough defenses the last few weeks.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I agree with the villiage idiot. It's bunk. Unlike that fool, I believe it's fallacy because there is no problem with Brady. Sure, the line has issues, but it has had issues for years because sometimes it just doesn't show up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Are Brady's problems due to the loss of Koppen?:
    [QUOTE]I think it's bunk. I think it's another excuse to try to deflect it away from Brady.  When Connolly subbed in for Mankins last year, we saw no issues.  We ran it, scored, etc. Moss was dealt prior to Week 5 and the team took off, running it in a Weis base. Connolly's been as good or better than Koppen, IMO. Koppen struggles against larger NTs and DTs, but Connolly destroyed Seymour/Kelly and Pettine's Jets D Line. Pettine should probably keep his mouth shut trying to tell NE what their issue with Brady. Run it down their throats and you'll see Brady look just fine on Sunday.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Russ, you're being absurd by blaming Brady for playcalling and interior line blocking as if those are his responsibilities

Having played center before, I can tell you for a fact that my backups weren't 1/10th as competent at making line calls and dishing out blocking assignments to my guards and this only comes from experience - my teammates knew I knew my stuff.  Looking at the NFL landscape for backup centers, I'd say the same thing about almost every other NFL team - the Jets had their 3-game losing streak when Nick Mangold got injured.

Also, having played center before, I can tell you that it takes a solid 2-3 weeks before the C-QB exchange becomes more comfortable.

Furthermore, having played center both guard positions, and right tackle before, I can tell you for a fact that it takes around a month to develop solid continuity in pass protection because you simply cannnot know what the teammates next to you are going to do on an overload blitz or a stunt or a last-minute line shift on each play (the same problem that Bruschi points out that the secondary is having with their zone coverages with the constant turnover in the backend, most prominently on display against the Steelers and Heath Miller). 

Yes, they're professionals and I'm sure they get drilled much more thoroughly than we did, but you're going far off the map here by blaming Brady as if he actually carried out the blocking assignments.  On any competent line, the center is at least contributing to the line calls.  I'd bet almost anything that Brady is forced to take on even more responsibility because Connolly is a mediocre lineman and not used to leading the line (thankfully with Waters and Mankins next to him)

But keep living in your stubborn world.  Like I've said before, I respect the fervor, but you're going out of your way to stick to your stories when they don't hold water

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

[QUOTE]And we used a shotgun spread base for 40+ passes. Hence, why our offense looks anemic across 4 qtrs. We can't just say "we pllayed a good D" in January when we pass 40 times.  That's SB 42esque.

Right King, we have to start playing our "A" game.  This O Line is good enough to pound the ball and if Tom stops looking for his binky all of the time and just slings it to all of the receivers we will be fine.  These boys will step it up.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Brady's problems due to the loss of Koppen? : Clay, please post more.  The board is under attack by morons.

Getting a little wood at finding another Brady bashing troll?

Do you think Tom needs to stop looking for his binky too?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Brady's problems due to the loss of Koppen? : Right King, we have to start playing our "A" game.  This O Line is good enough to pound the ball and if Tom stops looking for his binky all of the time and just slings it to all of the receivers we will be fine.  These boys will step it up.
    Posted by Clay73[/QUOTE]

Tom faces things that would make you wet yourself. But you have the balls to talk about him looking for his binky?  We aren't going to be pounding the ball with a mediocre running game dumb bass.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Brady's problems due to the loss of Koppen? : Yes. Moss was his binky and BB filed the divorce papers in 2010 after Week 4. Now, Gronk is the second binky. Not debatabale.

What's not debatable is that your constant insults toward the best player in Pats' history makes you a troll.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I don't think so. Over the past 2-3 years, Koppen has been more off the field than on.

It certainly doesn't explain Brady forcing the ball to unopen receivers. His decision making is off.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]My observations of failure from 2 and 3 seasons ago means I am "insulting" Brady? Nice comprehension, Babe. Are you going to take my offer for the bet or not? Why haven't you done that? I gave you concessions and everything and didn't need to.

You insult him all the time. What bet are you talking about?

Do you actually think I read through every one of your insane diatribes?