Are NFL Officials in the Bag?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thor7. Show thor7's posts

Are NFL Officials in the Bag?

I know this can be the "Loser's Lament" but...

Three bad calls jumped out at me:
    Solder holding - that was the most blatantly wrong
    Love roughing the passer - No foul, kept drive alive
    Brown pass interference in end zone- free score, change of possession

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Are NFL Officials in the Bag?

They were ticky tack calls. By the rule book they were correct calls but by what is typically called on the field they were bad calls.

But, it's not just the Pats getting horrible calls it's universal around the league. The officiating is just plain horrible. However, you should never put yourself in a position which a bad call can cost you a game. That's on the team not the officials

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Buffalo had some awful calls go against them too. The refs are flag-happy. Way too many personal fouls are called now

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

The helmet to helmet on Welker was ridiculous and I thought the late hit call was questionable. Its football, you're supposed to tackle the guy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: Are NFL Officials in the Bag?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are NFL Officials in the Bag? : What awful calls went against Buffalo?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

It's  an old cliche' to say that no team should put themselves in a position where a bad call by a referee changes the course of a game.  The reality is that one bad call can influence a game's outcome...especially in a close game.  The top referees in the NBA decided that questionable calls in the closing seconds/minutes could be crucial to a game's outcome.  They decided that unless they were absolutely sure that a foul occurred that they would avoid a possible mistaken call.  I wish NFL referees felt the same way since we seem to see and hear about so many questionable calls, especially of the type that directly affects a game's outcome.

The key phrase is that this philosophy is probably espoused by the best referees.
    So what does this say about the average nfl referee? What safeguards have the nfl devised to control borderline referees? Are they paid as professionals? If they can influence games isn't their professionalism of the utmost concern?  

Football players are graded on their performance.  Do we apply the same oversight to our referees?  For those identified as substandard, can they be replaced or are we committed to continually attempt to rehab them?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Are NFL Officials in the Bag?:
    [QUOTE]I know this can be the "Loser's Lament" but... Three bad calls jumped out at me: Solder holding - that was the most blatantly wrong Love roughing the passer - No foul, kept drive alive Brown pass interference in end zone- free score, change of possession
    Posted by thor7[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised to find out some day that Minnesota and Indy covered because the powers that be knew that gamblers overplayed the favorites (Detroit and Pittsburgh respectively)

For example, notice how the Colts also have a subpar offensive line, but they were able to hold without getting penalties.  But if the Steelers held Freeney or Mathis, instant call.  And don't tell me that Lamarr Woodley and James Harrison are inferior pass rushers because they're every bit on Freeney's and Mathis's level.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The NFL went the NBA route after the Pats third Lombardi. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

They are human and subject to interpreting what they see.  It is aggravating to see a particular call made then see the exact same thing happen later in a game go uncalled. This is happening league wide as I have never seen so many questionable and bad calls so early in a season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Are NFL Officials in the Bag? : I wouldn't be surprised to find out some day that Minnesota and Indy covered because the powers that be knew that gamblers overplayed the favorites (Detroit and Pittsburgh respectively) For example, notice how the Colts also have a subpar offensive line, but they were able to hold without getting penalties.  But if the Steelers held Freeney or Mathis, instant call.  And don't tell me that Lamarr Woodley and James Harrison are inferior pass rushers because they're every bit on Freeney's and Mathis's level.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]
    in my daughter's best texting effort:

OMG did he just say that?  LOL

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are NFL Officials in the Bag? : What awful calls went against Buffalo?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Go to a Bills Forum and you'll find out.  Got to stop crying about 'bad calls". 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Yikes!

This thread took an alarming turn, didn't it?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

the bills might have won WITH help from the refs. take that away and hum????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Some very strange games yesterday. Jets lose to The Raiders I watched most of this game and didn't see a lot of crazy calls. I didn't see the Lions game but kind of weird that they could come back from that far down while playing on the road. New Orleans was getting shredded when last I looked and the next thing I know the won the game?? If Dallas loses at home to the Redskins then I will think that there are some WWE referees working the games,I know that the guys in Buffalo were on the take!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thor7. Show thor7's posts

I am not saying Pats "deserved" to win, I am just saying there were several calls way out of line that did not help.  Agreed that Bills had some against them too but why should the game revolve so around the flags?
    The new personal foul rules are awful, the more subjective calls that are made, the more room for corruption... Used to be that pass interference was the main game changer but now with the new rules there seem to be many more penalties overall.  The helmet to helmet and roughing the passer and unnecessay roughness - these are all calls that give advantage when the offending team had gained no advantage, unlike holding where it gives the runner a lane or even pass interference, in theory.  So all these calls affect the game more than they should.  I would like to see some league wide stats on penalty yards year over year.  I bet (Don't tell the ref) that they are up significantly, not just on the Pats.