Are the Jets the Best Team in the AFC East?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are the Jets the Best Team in the AFC East?

Here's an excellent, cold, hard analysis of each team in the division: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3173_CHFF-style_health_care_reform%3A_AFC_East.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Re: Are the Jets the Best Team in the AFC East?

In Response to Are the Jets the Best Team in the AFC East?:
         Here's an excellent, cold, hard analysis of each team in the division: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3173_CHFF-style_health_care_reform%3A_AFC_East.html
    Posted by TexasPat3

Interesting. The issue with the NFL is that players get old overnight and you really cannot predict injuries. As a consequence (and knowing the Pats played tougher schedules for the past 9 years, seeing that they have tried to get younger on D), I don't think it is a 'fluke' that the Pats have had 9 years of having the best record in their division, a record for the NFL as best as they seem to indicate.

That is, I don't actually buy into this logic that the Jets should be 'favorites', but heck, let the people bet in Vegas where they may and we all know that being a NY team just leads itself to more hype. It is probably a good thing for the Pats if the Jets actually 'think' they are the team to beat.

Nevertheless, I still see the 'inconsistent' Dolphins as probably a better team than the Jets if Henne matures in the same sort of way people just 'assume' Sanchez will... I mean, I hate dealing in 'ifs', but the Colts and Bengals did lie down for the Jets whereas Miami had to deal with two teams still in the playoff hunt (when they themselves were ready for the golf course)... I don't think many of Miami's losses were 'that bad', aside from that one Buffalo game, too (and everything went wrong in that game...). 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

proof is in the pudding...and their pudding last year was mediocre.......so no

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I think that needs to be proven on the field.  Injuries, bad draft, regression of certain players (Sanchez) and loss of others (T. Jones) and a whole host of issues can make a superbowl contender into an also ran.  Pats fans should know that better than most since losing Brady set this team back a bit.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The only place where the Jets are the favorites is in the imaginary NFL or the lost mind of a Jets fan.Past those places and the occassional dilussional ESPN shill,they aren't even a .500 team,let alone the favorites too win the AFC east.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I agree with the Fact guys, the Pats can go both ways. The Pats need to fix their defense and offense. They are just a few missing pieces from being very good on both offense and defense, but... Since they elected to stay away from Free Agency, the Pats would have to strike big in the draft. Let's see how they do come April.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

The Jets will be the best team in the AFC East when they can figure out how to score real points. We've been spoiled by New England's ability to score points but it's easier said than done and you can't play it out on paper. Many teams go out and sign offensive weapons in the off season and most players signed have little to no effect on point production throughout the season. Also, you can never count on players getting better just because they are young. The Pats are the Best right now but I'll wait and see what happens next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Jets the Best Team in the AFC East?:
    The Jets will be the best team in the AFC East when they can figure out how to score real points. We've been spoiled by New England's ability to score points but it's easier said than done and you can't play it out on paper. Many teams go out and sign offensive weapons in the off season and most players signed have little to no effect on point production throughout the season. Also, you can never count on players getting better just because they are young. The Pats are the Best right now but I'll wait and see what happens next year.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Yeah, it will be intersting to see what the loss of Welker does w/r/t point production, but I think the Pats 'system' is solid enough for a reason that they'll probably still beat all the teams they should beat. I'd agree the Jets biggest issue wasn't their D, but those games against Atlanta where they'd only allow 10 points and lose...

In general, Miami's biggest issue this year is schedule. I don't think they have it any 'easier', esp. if you think Tennessee and Oakland could be *much* tougher depending on some trades, VY playing, etc. I wouldn't like playing Cincy, Green Bay, Minny or the Ravens at their place, and maybe having the Steelers (who knows where they'll be), Lions, Bears, or Browns at home isn't really a huge help, etc... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

The Jets are best team in Jersey :^)... I don't see the report saying defensive leader is the most important thing, Wilfork, Mayo and Bodden will lead the way. Help is needed on the offensive side (line,te,wr) after drafting a pass rusher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Posted by TexasPat3

Interesting stuff, but remember games are played on teh field, not on papwer. There's been no draft, no final "cost saving cuts", no secondary FA's signed, no undrafted FA's signed. No training camp opened, and no final rosters drawn up. Will Sanchez blossom, or become yet another sophmore bust? What happens to them if Greene goes down, and Washington isn't 100% with is rehabbed leg? How about if Edwards starts dropping passes again? Revis gets 'solved" game in and game out. What if Buddy The Hutt gets so full of himself and his coaching "genius", that he snatches defeat from the jaws of victory in several games?

Let them be "Paper Champs". We'll see them in the regular season, and see who's got what.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The CHFF were a bit too tough on the Patriots' drafting prowess...saying that they have drafted horribly since 2004. I disagree. I thought that the Pats had a good draft in 2005, getting Logan Mankins, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur, and Matt Cassel. The 2006 draft wasn't too hot...but the 2007 draft was wildly successful...as the Patriots landed Brandon Meriweather, and traded 2007 draft choices for veterans Wes Welker, Randy Moss, and a #1 draft choice in 2008...which turned out to be Jerod Mayo. 

That said, the 2008-2009 drafts were extremely disappointing. Save for Sebastien Vollmer and perhaps Darrius Butler, the Pats added very little.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I find it a bit early to be saying this team or any team is better than the other until FA and the draft are over.  How can you make a call like that?  If we get a pass rusher, RB, DT and 3rd WR out of this draft we are looking pretty good.  And I'm only covering 4 out of the what?, 12 picks we have?

If they want to make the Jets the little darling it's fine by me.  The Jets will do what they always do, get off to a hot start and fade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

gary:

Of course it's too early to make definitive predictions on every team. But, the free agency period is all but over. Furthermore, the CHFF qualifies their evaluations for things such as injuries, and the draft.

An analysis like this is helpful in determining what needs each team will endeavor to fill in the upcoming draft...which fuels speculation for mock drafts...and gives some inkling as to which players will be available to the Pats at #22.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

There was an unusually wide gap between the good and bad teams last year. NE generally feasted on the bad teams but uncharacteristically faltered against the good teams. They must do better at that this year if they want to win anything.

The Jets are a good team, but are they better than last year? maybe. They signed some big names this offseason but lost some as well. Last year NE had trouble with the crowd noise in Jersey but handled the Jets easily at home.

I feel NE is the team to beat in the division given their recent history. They re-signed their big name free agents and didn't lose much. Plus they have many more draft picks than the Jets for whatever that's worth.

Let the "pundits" pick the Jets as favorites. I liked it better when the Patriots were the underdogs anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

gary:      Of course it's too early to make definitive predictions on every team. But, the free agency period is all but over. Furthermore, the CHFF qualifies their evaluations for things such as injuries, and the draft.      An analysis like this is helpful in determining what needs each team will endeavor to fill in the upcoming draft...which fuels speculation for mock drafts...and gives some inkling as to which players will be available to the Pats at #22.       
    Posted by TexasPat3

Personally, I don't see it.  What need has changed from the end of the season to now?  The needs haven't changed or I should say the priority hasn't changed.  A pass rushing OLB is still the top need.  If the Pats can't get to the QB the defense doesn't change that much no matter who they draft.  They can help themselves on the offensive side of the ball a lot with a younger RB, WR and TE.  Maybe some OL help in the later rounds.  Oh yeah, a punter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Posted by TexasPat3

Unfortunately at the moment they are. Particularly on Defense. Pats only advantage over them is Brady. Pretty big advantage but Brady still needs some pieces around him like a D that can stop good teams in crucial situations and an Oline that can keep the heat off him. A running game as an option would also be good. If the season started today I believe the Jets would be tough for the Pats to beat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

id say its pretty darn close between the jets, pats and phins for who is the best team in the division...it will now be year 3 of the parcells plan...lets see if he can help the phins back up to the top of the mountain, where they belong

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

id say its pretty darn close between the jets, pats and phins for who is the best team in the division...it will now be year 3 of the parcells plan...lets see if he can help the phins back up to the top of the mountain, where they belong
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

Who says that the Dolphins belong on the top of the mountain? I'm sure that neither Rex Ryan or BB shares your sentiments...LOL!!

Like all NFL teams, the Dolphins have their problems. But, getting rid of aging LBs/DE Joey Porter and Jason Taylor seems to be an addition by subtraction situation. Karlos Dansby is an obvious upgrade over Porter. Though the 'Fins appear to have found themselves a QB in Chad Henne, they still are weak aat WR...and their RB situation is not as solid as it might appear on paper, as Ricky Williams turns 33, and Ronnie Brown is coming off injury, and a DWI arrest. The 'Fins also need to upgrade both lines. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Jets the Best Team in the AFC East? :      Who says that the Dolphins belong on the top of the mountain? I'm sure that neither Rex Ryan or BB shares your sentiments...LOL!!      Like all NFL teams, the Dolphins have their problems. But, getting rid of aging LBs/DE Joey Porter and Jason Taylor seems to be an addition by subtraction situation. Karlos Dansby is an obvious upgrade over Porter. Though the 'Fins appear to have found themselves a QB in Chad Henne, they still are weak aat WR...and their RB situation is not as solid as it might appear on paper, as Ricky Williams turns 33, and Ronnie Brown is coming off injury, and a DWI arrest. The 'Fins also need to upgrade both lines. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

haha...well a die hard phins fan for one...

but agree with you about taylor and porter...

i think the wr's are ok...but would great benefit from having a #1

im not so worried about the running game and ricky looked great last year once ronnie went down

as far as the lines go...we are lookin for another o-guard and a NT...other than that...some safety help would be nice...

IMO, for as awful as the phins defense was last year...we still won 9 games...so if the defense can pick it up even a little bit...i can see the phins winning 10 games

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

The CHFF were a bit too tough on the Patriots' drafting prowess...saying that they have drafted horribly since 2004. I disagree. I thought that the Pats had a good draft in 2005, getting Logan Mankins, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur, and Matt Cassel. The 2006 draft wasn't too hot...but the 2007 draft was wildly successful...as the Patriots landed Brandon Meriweather, and traded 2007 draft choices for veterans Wes Welker, Randy Moss, and a #1 draft choice in 2008...which turned out to be Jerod Mayo.       That said, the 2008-2009 drafts were extremely disappointing. Save for Sebastien Vollmer and perhaps Darrius Butler, the Pats added very little.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

I agree that the 2008 draft was horrific but the 2009 draft was the best they had in a while. Vollmer and Butler played alot and both did well. Chung, you can tell he was coming on little by little and will only be better. Brace was disappointing but you can't dismiss him after just one season. Tate and McKenzie are better players than where they were drafted and we just got steals based on certain circumstances (injury to Tate and all the college movement for McKenzie). I believe both guys will be solid contributors and be among the top 3 in playing time at their respective positions. Ingram did very well for a rookie long snapper and we got him late. Pryor, a 6th round pick, was able to rotate in and give the Dlinemen a breather. Edelman could be one of the top 5 steals of the draft as he was the only guy to play well in the playoff game and he will be very important with Welker out half the season. There were 3 productive guys taken in rounds 6 or later. In the end, there were 6 guys who had decent contributions, 2 who were injured and werent able to fully show what they can do and a couple other project players that at worst can be depth players. I can assure you most teams would love to have had a draft like that.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The Bruins have been average for years and had a great year last year. This year they are back to mediocrity. I relate the Jets to that. The Jets shouldn't have made the playoffs, but they did and did well in them. Now they have a ton of pressure on them because they have been crowned division champs already and can't play the "we aren't respected" card. They lost Thomas Jones, and I don't think LT has it in him anymore to fill that gap. We'll see if Shonn Green can last an entire season as well. The Jets will be 8-8 or 9-7 this year, but not as great as everyone thinks they will be.

The Pats won the division last year unless everyone forgot. They are young, and the young players will be more experienced next year. Brandon Tate will be healthy and Julian Edelman has had a year to learn WR. Edelman played extremely well filling in for Welker and can fill in for Welker until he returns. The Pats also have a lot of draft picks and I'm sure at least a couple will make the team and perform well. I think the Pats are still on top of the division, but it isn't a given like it has been in the past.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Jets got people's attention with exactly one CHFF stat, their defensive passer index, which was #1 in the NFL.  Otherwise it was an ordinary team.

My own point differential stats had the Patriots playing like world-beaters.  The whole AFC East had its moments, but nothing in the NFL was bouncing over the road-kill like the Pats at midseason.  That five game stretch against AFC East rivals and against the iron of the league was a crusher.

One of the problems with reliance on good coaching is that other coaches soon learn how half of the tricks are done.  Soon enough, BB will almost certainly have an ex-Jets' defensive player in camp, and the guy will spill his guts.  That's how the NFL works. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

They were an 8 win team last year (Indy would of destroyed them if they played a full game).  So the answer is NO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Jets got people's attention with exactly one CHFF stat, their defensive passer index, which was #1 in the NFL.  Otherwise it was an ordinary team. My own point differential stats had the Patriots playing like world-beaters.  The whole AFC East had its moments, but nothing in the NFL was bouncing over the road-kill like the Pats at midseason.  That five game stretch against AFC East rivals and against the iron of the league was a crusher. One of the problems with reliance on good coaching is that other coaches soon learn how half of the tricks are done.  Soon enough, BB will almost certainly have an ex-Jets' defensive player in camp, and the guy will spill his guts.  That's how the NFL works. 
    Posted by Paul_K

Paul:

How the Jets do will largely depend upon whether their QB, Mark Sanchez, can stay healthy (knee problems), and on how much he improves.