Are the Jets the worst team to ever make the AFC Championship?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Re: Are the Jets the worst team to ever make the AFC Championship?

Instead of making foolish statements , give dredit where it is due. The Jets are on a roll . I will never cheer for any other team no matter what the scenerio is. The Jets can beat Indy and wouldn't surpise me at all if they did. We got a long list  a probelems to address and will need the entire off season to get it done. We might learn something by watching the Jets......like how to rush the passer something we haven't done in years...............

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from VivaVataha. Show VivaVataha's posts

Dafoe says the Jets remind him of the Giants of two years ago.  They actually remind me of a team from 2001.  Remember the Patriots, the good ones.

The Chargers.. they remind me of the Chargers.  Stupid and arrogant.  Penalties and Missed Kicks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from abraca. Show abraca's posts

gulo, shame on you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

#1 defense and #1 running game. I wouldnt call that anywhere near the worst

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eoleary29. Show eoleary29's posts

I hate the jets, but I really hate Peyton Manning and would like to see him lose yet another big playoff game. Regardless, I think whoever wins is going to lose to the Saints in the SB anyways.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Dominant defense, dominant running game, QB who has stopped making dumb mistakes.  Let's face it, the Jets are a team built to win in the playoffs, and unfortunately, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

Dafoe:

95' Colts had less talent.  I can name several others that possibly fit the bill too, but they were in the NFC.

You might also consider the 85' Pats (although any team would have been demolished by the Bears that year).  Before free agency, wildcard did not advance very far.  That was a true scrappy, cinderella type team with some very talented players in Eason/Grogan, Irving Friar, Tippet, but definitley not dominant in any one phase.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

why would anyone hate Peyton Manning? His commercialized ridiculing of himself makes him a humble man. And people think that he's arrogant? He's a competitor. Ever see TB do those types of commercials? Sometimes egos don't let you. Rather be symbolized as the handsome prince on a horse with Lady Godiva riding into the sunset promoting some cologne. Go Goober!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

They remind me a lot more of the 2000 Ravens.  The Giants 07 offense was a lot better than this years Jets offense.

I think the ride is over next week.  Manning won't turn it over the way Rivers did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

"Huh? They just "took it too" the Chargers in San Diego after the Chargers had won 11 straight games. They are a very good team. Do you know anything about football? You're as good as you play. "

The Jet's played a good game, but the Jet's victory would not have been possible had their field goal kicker not missed all three field goals. The Charger's choked again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

The Jets are a very good team and are where they deserve to be because they have beat the teams that they have needed to.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Jets played a good game, but they were helped by a self-destructing Chargers team.  3 missed FGs by the best licker in football.  A personal foul for kicking the replay flag late in the game - what was that gut thinking.

Their offense never hurt them, their defense played well, but the Jets won because of how badly the Chargers played. 

The 2 people in the NFL that I can't stand is Manning and Ryan.  I guess I'll root for the Jets - then we can listen to Manning throw teammates and coaches under the bus.  But I think Indy is too good.

Indy and New Orleans in the SB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

DWL, the "best licker in football" is between Peyton and Eli the oreo lickin' brothers...Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from my10sense2. Show my10sense2's posts

Actually, that's two weeks in a row their opponents couldn't make fairly routine field goals; I almost wonder if the Jets did something to shake up the kickers, especially SD's pro bowler.

SD took so many penalities, many of which pointed to lack of preparation, which, as in most SD playoffs, points to poor coaching. 

Although they've had far more than their share of luck, calling them the worst team to make it this far is unfair hyperbole; I don't think last year's Cardinals were any better for example (although only seeing them against NE might be coloring my views here).

Also, although it wasn't an AFC championship game, I think Tom Matte pretty much hands down owns the title of worst championship quarterback, at least in my lifetime (which is not, in any way, meant as a criticism of him--those who don't know what I'm talking about can look it up).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

No not the worse. QB may be the least likely to make it to this level. As many have stated the Jets D has stepped up- and they have a running game.
    Hard to predict what will happen with Colts- Jets- I expect it will be a close game- and I expect the Colts will pull it out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

BADAZZ, really, getting paid $$$MILLIONS to mildly poke fun at yourself in a commercial is being humble? LOL...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

Aren't they the number one defense and number one running team in the NFL? Power football wins championships. Exactly what we did not have this year. We beat the greatest show on turf with a frugle defense and a running game with Brady commanding the air game when needed. The Jets are just doing the same. If Jests get pressure on manning he can be beat. They just beat the #2 seed at home. I would say they are legit. As painful as it is to say!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

No mention anywhere in a thread about the worst team to ever make the AFC Championship Game of the '85 Patriots.

Curious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jckftz. Show jckftz's posts

Give the JETS credit, and before you give the 'worst team to make it to the AFC Championship' crap, what about the '85 Patriots?  The Bears are still waiting for them to show up

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

I find it refreshing that in an the pass happy, can't touch the qb and wr era a team like the Jets can still go out and find a way to make the game sloppy and win with ball control and defense.  That said, I think the ride is over in Indy.

Worst AFC championship team I can remember, I'm gonna go with the 1990 Raiders and the 95 Colts.  At least the Jets have an elite defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Russ, I agree in part...

As I've said on other posts, the NFL is a lot about match-ups... Seriously, who did/have the Jets beat again? Or Cincy or SD for that matter?  I'm not saying the Pats would beat them without Welker (probably the one reason the Pats do play well otherwise against the Jets), but I'm not exactly singing the praises of Cincy or San Diego... I just think you have a lot of very flawed teams (that seem to do some things well, but are horrible at others) near the top and this is what happens...  Look, Indy has been the team this year in the AFC that does just about everything well enough and has a second legit receiving threat that can play off of whomever Revis is covering... The Jets ride ends here... I'm not worried about the Jets 'catching up' to the Pats... I'd be just as worried about Miami once Henne gets another weapon to complement Bess (say if they sign Boldin) and figures it out a bit more.

I mean, let's face it, NE won 9+ games for the 9th straight year. Reminded me of this Simmon's article in week 3:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?page=simmons/patriots/090925

However, that isn't to say I'm not pulling for the Jets... Personally, I think it would serve Indy right for not trying to go undefeated if the Jets were ultimately their undoing. Best shot for the Jets would be to get another 'motivation' game against the Vikings, e.g., the 'Stick it to Favre' game...

As for drafting, etc...  Revis was the only pick that mattered for the Jets. You give any team Revis, it makes their D a lot better than what it is now... Just think of how much freedom that gives you when you know you got one side covered? What, didn't 13 teams pass up on him (and it isn't like you can fault a few of them, e.g., Willis, Peterson)? Hard to blame the Pats for 'poor drafting' on that one... If NE has Revis, they are playing on Sunday, too, flaws and all...

To be fair on Revis even moreso, he may be the first player I'd draft if we were having a 'you can take anyone in the league to start a team' draft (I'd take him over any 'superstar' QB except maybe Manning ). Certainly would be the top D player in my book.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ltpm3. Show ltpm3's posts

Cant see where the Jets Offense is solid.  They have a decent running game but the throwing is way below par.  Sanchez can not throw the ball..93 yards throwing should say volumes.  Personally I have seen no teams with a good Quarterback continued to throw under 100 yards a game.  They do have a solid Defense tho. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lquintin. Show lquintin's posts

I thought the Jets would go away when they lost their nose tackle Jenkins !

Get to appreciate the talent depth on this team  great drafting that last couple of years.

But, I stiil hate the Jets.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooterdawg. Show hooterdawg's posts

Anyone who now calls the Jets "the Jests" can't whine if the once mighty Pats are referred to as ' The Patsies" once again. No matter what happens against the Colts, the Jets have the respect of the rest of the league for their top rated defense and running game. They are a smash mouth outfit. Old schoolers just love that type of team.

If there is any conspiracy by the NFL to arrange the best draw for the SB, it would not favor the Jets. Vegas and advertisers want to see a Colts-Vikings or Colts-Saints SB. I don't see how the Jets could keep up with the airshow of either of the NFC teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

The Jets ARE the 01 Pats in so many ways, QBs were young and inexperienced, hard nose offense and defense always winning in the trenches.

Did you ever think that the 07 team was the beginning of the end.  Their whole philosophy has changed.  And maybe that is why the players they are drafting are
    not playing well any more.  Maybe it is our coaching from BB on down that is screwing things up.  The players maybe good, but they maybe are no longer
    taught to be hard nosed hitters, too much finesse on both sides of the ball.