Are the Pats set up to take advantage of a strong 2011 free agent class?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Are the Pats set up to take advantage of a strong 2011 free agent class?

I thought the Pats did well this year in taking care of their  own free agents.  They followed up with a seemingly strong draft.  They also have some premium picks in next year’s draft.  I was wondering if the Patriots are set up to take advantage of next year’s strong free agent class?  By then end of the year the Patriots will have awarded some big contracts (Wilfork, Brady and hopefully Mankins, possibly Moss).  Will we be able to go out and spend?  I know a lot of it depends on a new CBA.  Strong drafts in 2009, 2010 & 2011, plus retaining our own play makers in 2010 and strong signings in 2011 would set us up for another long run on top.  I think the future is bright for the Patriots for years to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Re: Are the Pats set up to take advantage of a strong 2011 free agent class?

In Response to Are the Pats set up to take advantage of a strong 2011 free agent class?:
    I thought the Pats did well this year in taking care of their   own free agents.   They followed up with a seemingly strong draft.   They also have some premium picks in next year’s draft.   I was wondering if the Patriots are set up to take advantage of next year’s strong free agent class?   By then end of the year the Patriots will have awarded some big contracts (Wilfork, Brady and hopefully Mankins, possibly Moss).   Will we be able to go out and spend?   I know a lot of it depends on a new CBA.   Strong drafts in 2009, 2010 & 2011, plus retaining our own play makers in 2010 and strong signings in 2011 would set us up for another long run on top.   I think the future is bright for the Patriots for years to come.
    Posted by ZachRudy

I think the future is bright as well and I think the big move next offseason will be for runningback DeAngelo Williams. His patience and anticipation and field vision and character fit the mold of the Patriots offense. He does everything extremely well while offering a style of play that is conducive to the extremely precise and tedious offensive blocking designs that work best with savvy players such as Fred Taylor and Kevin Faulk. The transition in other words figures to be seamless, churning out terrific production from the start. Williams is a great back all around but specifically he is a great goal line back and he does not fumble often at all. Where he's at in his career is actually great because he'd be getting a fair enough contract at age 28 without having been used on a ton of carries early on in his NFL career. Carolina is transitioning to a Jonathan Stewart-based running game with Mike Goodson and Tyrell Sutton to play behind him as capable backups. The heavy cash sent Williams way wouldn't be worth the investment from the Panthers perspective since the business can be distributed elsewhere. There are no other priority free agents aside from DeAngelo Williams, at this point, that figure to hold out for large new contracts in Carolina, which works against the odds of the Panthers front office moving DeAngelo to another team. However, Charlie Johnson, Ryan Kalil, Richard Marshall and Thomas Davis will all need new money while there is strong potential for guys like Jonathan Stewart, Steve Smith, and Matt Moore to sit out of camps for bonuses. In addition, after a 2010 backlogged market of RFA's due to the CBA complications, the opportunity for Carolina to go after impact players at positions other than runningback increases. 

New England is on the other end of the spectrum ideally looking for new runners as Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Laurence Maroney, Chris Taylor, and BenJarvus Green-Ellis are all free agents. There is a strong need at a position where there is no one other than Pat Paschell, (possibly), and Eric Kettani. Most of the Pats roster money will go to Mankins, Moss, Brady, Gostkowski, and no one else. Most of the Patriots big moves will be "in house" moves to retain the best players. With a bundle of first and second round draft picks, the flexibility to spend on a proven NFL player via trade is great. The possibility that New England falls under the "Final 8" rule is another a factor that could very easily prohibit the rate of movement made through free agency, leaving trades as one of the most appealing methods for acquiring new assets.

New England has proven that they'll go after runningbacks they feel are special. Remember the Corey Dillon trade? Laurence Maroney was a first round pick. Carolina and New England have a recent trade history with draft picks and Carolina is a team looking to retool for the future. They have proven that they'll sacrifice to make an aggressive move in the first round. While New England may view DeAngelo as a great value in relation to fit, ability, and someone they can add without giving away too much, both sides would likely leave very happy.

Assuming this DeAngelo Williams scenario plays out and the Pats get him, I'm not only optimistic, but I'm loving the future on offense more and more.

Taylor Price
    Randy Moss
    Wes Welker
    Brandon Tate
    DeAngelo Williams
    Rob Gronkowski
    Tom Brady
    Aaron Hernandez
    Julian Edelman

Imagine a more refined Taylor Price, Randy Moss being used in the slot more often as a deep threat and having to be respected, Wes Welker running routes off of Moss, and Brandon Tate being another deep threat on the outside to make plays? There are so many options! And beyond that there are the tight ends. Rob Gronkowski running down the seam of the field is dangerous to secondaries while Aaron Hernandez and Julian Edelman offer play making ability and depth in a variety of ways. Oh yeah, and DeAngelo Williams to take pressure off of the passing game. This offense would feature so many different weapons both on a drive-by-drive basis and in the redzone. The offense is run by Tom Brady and with an offensive line that is always good enough to get the job done, which is all you need to win. The defense is also electric with so many young play makers and speedsters that are also capable of starting on special teams along with developing kicker Stephen Gostkowski and hopeful punter Zoltan Mesko.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I think the Pats and Belichick in particular view Mark Ingram very highly. I bet he's earned a lot of respect, but from a projection and business standpoint, I think DeAngelo Williams makes the most sense. I honestly believe that's the route we'll go too.

As I've mentioned previously, I view Taylor Price as a Reggie Wayne type of receiver. With the help of great players like Torry Holt and Randy Moss and Wes Welker to some degree, Price can turn into a very reliable, clutch, go-to receiver for Brady to throw to for years to come. Brandon Tate on the other hand strikes me as a Percy Harvin type of guy. He'll have his bag of tricks I'm sure and he offers a lot of versatility between special teams and the wide receiver position.

And I think you make a great point about teams probably not being willing to give big cash to Moss at his age. Randy may get one of his top two or three contract offers in terms of salary from New England. And yes, he loves it here, he love Tom Brady, he loves Vince Wilfork and the linemen, and the coach and everything just makes so much more sense in New England, right?

According to patscap.com, Moss will be paid the most money of any player on the roster this season at about $11,200,000 dollars. That number is going to drastically go down by at least three million bucks under a new contract, just given where he's at in his career. So my expectation is that he and Brady are both back, and Mankins pouts his way into a new deal too.

And I also agree with your expectations for the rookie receivers to produce. Rob in the playoffs and Hernandez in HUGE way during the regular season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Pats set up to take advantage of a strong 2011 free agent class?:
    I think the Pats and Belichick in particular view Mark Ingram very highly. I bet he's earned a lot of respect, but from a projection and business standpoint, I think DeAngelo Williams makes the most sense. I honestly believe that's the route we'll go too.

RESPONSE: I don't see the Pats either signing DeAngelo, or wasting what might be a top 10 pick on a RB...even one as good as Ingram. History has shown that plenty of good RBs can be had in the later rounds of a draft. Furthermore, the Pats wisely won't pay the type of money that DeAngelo will be seeking. 

As I've mentioned previously, I view Taylor Price as a Reggie Wayne type of receiver. With the help of great players like Torry Holt and Randy Moss and Wes Welker to some degree, Price can turn into a very reliable, clutch, go-to receiver for Brady to throw to for years to come.

RESPONSE: Wow!! Love your pie in the sky optimism. But, come on now. Price is extremely raw.

Brandon Tate on the other hand strikes me as a Percy Harvin type of guy. He'll have his bag of tricks I'm sure and he offers a lot of versatility between special teams and the wide receiver position.

RESPONSE: Tate has talent. But, the huge question is...can he stay healthy?

And I think you make a great point about teams probably not being willing to give big cash to Moss at his age. Randy may get one of his top two or three contract offers in terms of salary from New England. And yes, he loves it here, he love Tom Brady, he loves Vince Wilfork and the linemen, and the coach and everything just makes so much more sense in New England, right? According to patscap.com, Moss will be paid the most money of any player on the roster this season at about $11,200,000 dollars. That number is going to drastically go down by at least three million bucks under a new contract, just given where he's at in his career.

RESPONSE: I too see the Pats resigning Moss.

So my expectation is that he and Brady are both back, and Mankins pouts his way into a new deal too.

RESPONSE: I don't know about Mankins. Reports are that he and the Pats are miles apart. If he's seeking Steve Hutchinson type money, he's gone.

And I also agree with your expectations for the rookie receivers to produce. Rob in the playoffs and Hernandez in HUGE way during the regular season.

RESPONSE: Remains to be seen.

Posted by Brendon-Patrick

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Pats set up to take advantage of a strong 2011 free agent class?:
    I'd rather they draft Mark Ingram (if possible) v.s. go after DeAngelo Williams. But, yeah if Tate and Price can develop, they have Welker and Edelman and POSSIBLY Moss. To be honest, I can't see Moss wanting to leave here.  He can go to one other spot (Indy) to play with a QB as good as Brady. Maybe New Orleans. At his age and rep, who would take him if the money is essentially the same as he'd get here??? If he wants money, then yeah, he's gone. If he wants a fair deal, they may have leverage enough to keep him. Call me overly-optomistic, but I fully expect 1, if not 2 of the rookie TEs to produce this year.
    Posted by russgriswold
    Gris both of the rookie TE's will be big contributors this season. Even Scouts Inc columnist Williamson thinks Hernandez plays a great deal not only at TE but as a slot receiver,which I've thought is where he'ld get a lot of reps in the first place as thats really how he was used at UF, he was Tim's go to guy this past season whenever he needed an open receiver in a hurry Aaron was the guy he would depend on. Gronkowsi will be the #2 TE and should see a lot of playing time especially in the 2 TE sets. They have a nice group of TE's and who knows if Hernandez shows he can handle the slot maybe the Patriots keep Rob Myers as insurance as he too is a move TE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I think if DeAngelo were to be traded for and extended, he'd be getting paid an annual salary of 4-6 million dollars without making anymore than 7 million in a single season. A large sum of his cash would come through a signing bonus.

As for Taylor Price, he is raw, but he has the tools to do great things. I think in terms of speed, size to some degree, and understanding for the game of football, Taylor Price projects into being a Reggie Wayne type of receiver. Each play with a similar balance. With improvement on his footwork from the coaching staff as well as picking up little hand movements, speed variations, head positioning, certain patterns run with the shoulders, timing of running off of other players coverage, stuff like that from Torry Holt and Randy Moss, he'll become a very good, go-to receiver in 2-3 years. Same sort of thing with Brandon Tate except he's a different type of receiver with certain advantages over Taylor Price by comparison. Being concerned about injury is legitimate but I don't think it's anything we should actually worry about. Injuries happen regardless and what we can do to prevent them is tough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Randy Moss can go to the Eagles any day of the week and have a very productive year, with DeSean running a 4.3 on the other side Safeties would not be able to double down and press Randy @ the line while covering him over the top.

Green Bay is another place with a speedy young reciever that could play oposite Moss in Greg Jennings

I would not rule out his departure, he is a strange man, i think he needs a new scenary every 3 to 4 years, he gets complacent being in the same offense running the same plays year after year.

Moss leaves one way or another

If the patriots wanted to be bold next year they could trade up and get A J Green another 6'5" receiver with blazing speed and great leaping ability down the field.

I would not count out a move like that because if the rookie salary cap takes affect as many expect it too

Mark Ingram is a beast as well, but we are all assuming he can be taken at or slightly below 12...

If the Raiders have a good year we may not pick until 12 or after and they could very well be great this year because there defense has been upgraded tremendously within the draft and via trades.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I can see them targeting a few free agents, but not too many. The Patriots have a ton of young players, and I could see them going after one or two high level guys with a couple of veterans. I think a 2011 free agency crop that included one or two of the following would have everyone excited :

Cullen Jenkins
    DeAngelo Williams
    LaMarr Woodley
    Calvin Johnson (in a trade)

While that it is highly unlikely they would trade for Calvin Johnson, I would be pumped if they did. His special skills would flourish with Tom Brady throwing him the ball. Anyone who can put up great stats in Detroit could put up monster stats here. My only concern with him is injuries, which have slowed him down in the past.

LaMarr Woodley would only needed if the pass rush is once again anemic. I do not believe TBC is the answer, as 5 out of his 10 sacks were against Buffalo. If he regresses this year, another OLB might be targeted. Woodley would immediately bolster the pass rush, and can drop into coverage. He already plays in a 3-4, and has shown he can produce at a high level. If the players currently on the roster do not preform this year, he could be added.

DeAngelo Williams is an interesting player to consider. The Panthers are stocked at the position, and they may see him as expendable. He would bring explosiveness to the offense that is rare and valuable in this league. While I with Gris that I would rather have Mark Ingram, I am not sure the Patriots would. If Maroney has a rough next year, the Pats might view Ingram as another RB they could miss on. 

Culen Jenkins could be brought in if the RDE position is not filled this year. He played well in Green Bay's 3-4 last year, and while he does not produce huge numbers, the few times I have watched him I have walked away impressed. He is a little shorter than the elite DE players are, but he is stout and can collapse a pocket. A recent report by a Green Bay newspaper reported that they may let him walk after next year. He could solve the DE position, and would not break the bank.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Randy Moss can go to the Eagles any day of the week and have a very productive year, with DeSean running a 4.3 on the other side Safeties would not be able to double down and press Randy @ the line while covering him over the top. Green Bay is another place with a speedy young reciever that could play oposite Moss in Greg Jennings I would not rule out his departure, he is a strange man, i think he needs a new scenary every 3 to 4 years, he gets complacent being in the same offense running the same plays year after year. Moss leaves one way or another If the patriots wanted to be bold next year they could trade up and get A J Green another 6'5" receiver with blazing speed and great leaping ability down the field. I would not count out a move like that because if the rookie salary cap takes affect as many expect it too Mark Ingram is a beast as well, but we are all assuming he can be taken at or slightly below 12... If the Raiders have a good year we may not pick until 12 or after and they could very well be great this year because there defense has been upgraded tremendously within the draft and via trades.
    Posted by tagandtrade

i seriously think that moss will resign, even if he doesn't we could always tag him and retain his services for another year.  He has said that he loves BB and Brady so i don't think that he will leave as long as we offer him a fair contract.  I think that BB will use the 2 first round picks on a RB (ingram perhaps) and a DE to replace seymore.   Although green would be quite the target i just think that if we can resign moss and price/tate make steps forward that it would be unnecessary.  All this is hard to predict without seeing the production of the players we drafted this year and the growth of 2nd year players.  I can't wait till camp! Go Pats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Pats set up to take advantage of a strong 2011 free agent class? : i seriously think that moss will resign, even if he doesn't we could always tag him and retain his services for another year.  He has said that he loves BB and Brady so i don't think that he will leave as long as we offer him a fair contract.  I think that BB will use the 2 first round picks on a RB (ingram perhaps) and a DE to replace seymore.   Although green would be quite the target i just think that if we can resign moss and price/tate make steps forward that it would be unnecessary.  All this is hard to predict without seeing the production of the players we drafted this year and the growth of 2nd year players.  I can't wait till camp! Go Pats!
    Posted by natesubs
    What happens if Oakland stinks again? Now you are talking a potential top 5 pick! What BB does in acquiring draft choices is brilliant as you never really get old this way and you are always capable of competing without having too spend big bucks on FA's. Camp will be here quicker than you think....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

Alright, as much as I freakin' despise this "Runningback by Committee" Approach, I dearly hope we do NOT take the #1 RB with Oakland's first selection come the 2011 NFL Draft...  First, This RB-By-Group Thing DOES s#ck: It eats up roster spots & far, FAR more importantly, It calls for too obvious play designs depending on which back is put in on any and all specific downs, Each one having and literally almost living and dying on each RB's very specific skill-sets: Maroney ain't an inside banger, and even when the play calls for him to run inside and he isn't eaten up @ the D-Line, Maroney WILL and IS going to attempt to break it wide to the corner immediately; Morris & Taylor=Inside the line RBs who do not have the speed (or, "any longer") to run sweeps, counter-sweeps, or really ANYthing where they are quick enough to turn the corner and get by both a DE & an OLB; Faulk's comin' in for a screen-pass, or dump-off, or hesitation scat-back handoff=3rd down pass back; And finally with BJGE, He just idk-Dude's a survivor but just doesn't have all those stud RB inherent qualities (unlike Maroney, who HAS those qualities but doesn't DO anything with them)-BJGE-Inside banger mainly, without the requisite size to get big inside yards & when he goes outside, just doesn't have that #1 RB combo of both field vision, alluding defenders & speed to be a REAL big gain threat...  So yea, This RBBC thing s#cks.

Look, but here's WHY I hope NE does NOT go RB with choice #1:  First off, A top 10 selection is far too high for even a Heisman Winning RB- Patriots could instead get 1 of the top 2 DEs in the Draft instead: Q: Do ya want the next Suh, McCoy OR Mark Ingram.  A: Suh or McCoy will do far more for NE, AND be a far better fit...  A DE would be a much better choice because this IS a passing league, now more than ever, Even the best RBs can only do so much for a high-octane Offense.  A DE would be a much better choice because the very BEST RB in 2011 (Mark Ingram), IS only 5'10 and roughly 225lbs:  New England's O-Line is built for passing-Smaller, agile quicker O-Lineman who cannot literally engulf a D-Lineman the way certain teams like Dallas, Philly, and Minni do...Hence, they run a zone-blocking O-Line during many run plays, Hence-D-Lineman are gonna get a bigger mitt or body or whatnot on smaller RBs...  THIS is why, even nominal bigger backs like Antwain Smith & Sammy Morris in early '07, let alone a bigger back like Corey Dillon, Have and Are so successful with NE's personel and schematics; 5'10 & 225lb Mark Ingram will and CAN only do so much=A better version of Lawrence Maroney=A wasted Draft pick. 

Finally, RE: The 2011 Free Agency Class specifically-Certain positions as always, already look much better in terms of who & the quality of free agents NE will be able to target.  Now, RE: RB...It doesn't look like anything too special.  Yet, RE: 3-4 DE...It looks even worse than RB.  Below, as a link, I'll offer the positions of how & who will be 2011 NFL Free Agents when the time arrives.  I'll tell ya 1 position which DOES look superb...Linebacker.  So in the end, I'd die for the following: 

Gotta sign Tom Brady.  Next, throw as much $ as you possibly can on earth left over towards whom imho IS the absolute best 3-4 OLB in the National Football League (and is on such a good team, that his skills are actually UNDERstated): Pittsburgh's Lamaar Woodley.  On the Steel, James Harrison seems to get more ESPN time, and counting Ngata, Casey Hampton, formerly Jamal Williams and doin it all-Polamalu behind these guys, Man-As much as Woodley can get lost in that lineup, He really does...  YET, Imho-Woodley's THE best.  Now, this dude's the most intelligent AND aggressive defender out there-So good @ EVERY aspect I'd look for in a Strongside OLB: Team leader & Vet, Can rush the ball, size to stuff the run, speed to play the pass, Seemingly always or near double digits in sacks (but seemingly always just 1 or 2 shy of James Harrison's Sack Total), yet his unheralded extremely high by entire league, forced fumble number is absurd....  Now, We couple THAT with some bigger between the tackles RB in Free Agency like Brian Leonard @ 6'1 and 230-235lbs and that COULD get done imo.  With the #2 Draft Selection NE will be able to target the nation's #2 or at worst #3 WR in a very good top-heavy WR Draft Class, BECAUSE imho-Randy Moss will NOT (sorry ALL) be a NE atriot come the 2011 Season: At something like 35 years old, He still will simply command far too much $...doesn't make sense fiscally, and it IS a business.  With NE's 2 Second Round Selections I hope they go Tackle & Gurad in either order of first importance/better quality-NE could get the nation's #1 or #2 Guard with that 1st pick, and be able to target some unheralded prospect from a smaller program like Vollmer in '09 or Veldheer in '10...Both Bigg massive frames height & strength wise, but they don't have that inner girth many NFL Clubs target as well; Which is perfect because these guys are big enough to play O-Tackle in the NFL and agile enough still, to play and move on an O-Line built for quick movement in the passing game & zone-blocking in the run game...  Just makes sense imo.

So NOW, Your 2011 NE Offense would look like:
    RBs: BJGE, Maroney as 3rd down back, and Brian Leonard as bigger RB to team with Ellis and/or Maroney.
    WRs: Taylor Price & Brandon Tate, Edelman & Welker, and Nation's #2 WR in a top-heavy very good looking wideout class
    O-Line: I'd team Vollmer with the nation's #1 or #2 best O-Guard on the left side (or one of our Vets until that OG draftee is ready midway through the season), and on the right side, I'd want a suitable Vet/Rookie combo with Mankins & RG and that unheralded Rookie from a smaller program (like Vollmer/Veldheer) @ RT (or again, a vet until Rookie steps up and "gets it" during early season).

Your 2011 NE Defense would look like this:
    DE: Ty Warren and the next Suh or McCoy (1 of nation's Top 2-3 DEs)
    NT: Vince Wilfork
    SOLB: James Harrison
    WOLB: Jermaine Cunningham
    SMLB: Brandon Spikes
    WMLB: Jerod Mayo
    CBs: Darius Butler, Devin McCourty and Leigh Bodden
    Safety corp of: Brandon Merriweather, Brendon McGowan, and Patrick Chung

~The Patriot's are completely rebuilt and NE thus wins the SB for the 2011-2013 Seasons...No questions, right?       

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Forgot to add the good all-comprehensive link to who will be FA's come 2011:

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=RB&y=2011

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Laz don't worry about BB drafting a RB in the top 10 picks of any draft and you can rule out WR from that mix also. BB works under the premise that the big uglies are the ones who should be drafted in the first round,so if there is an O-lineman who is out of this world good or a DE he is in love with then those are the players to watch in the first round of 2011's draft in the early part of the draft,now in the late part of round one where the Patriots will be drafting a RB or a WR could be a good choice. My guess is that BB is hoping the Raiders finish dead last so he can have the pick of the litter! Adrian Clayborn DE/OLB From Iowa is probably who he's hoping for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Laz don't worry about BB drafting a RB in the top 10 picks of any draft and you can rule out WR from that mix also. BB works under the premise that the big uglies are the ones who should be drafted in the first round,so if there is an O-lineman who is out of this world good or a DE he is in love with then those are the players to watch in the first round of 2011's draft in the early part of the draft,now in the late part of round one where the Patriots will be drafting a RB or a WR could be a good choice. My guess is that BB is hoping the Raiders finish dead last so he can have the pick of the litter! Adrian Clayborn DE/OLB From Iowa is probably who he's hoping for.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Personally sportsb, I got my sights hoping for Ohio State's Cameron Heyward, and even MORESO, Nebraska's Jared Crick...  I want my 3-4 DE above 6'4 and right around 290lbs, and Crick and Heyward who BOTH have time @ DE AND DT (perfect transition for a 3-4 D that'll ask them to both clog multiple lanes to help as run-stoppers & be at least some sort of pass-rushing threat all-the-while, As their 2-gapping and taking on 2 O-Lineman at a time, BOTH guys are 6'6 and 285-290lbs...Need 'em big enough and massive enough as 2-gappers, but being still DEs, in the end-Can't imho lose out on too much speed and agility (by being 3 bills and above).  These guys ain't easy to get:  Hardest position imo to fill in the league, 3-4 DE these days...3-4 DE, Left Offensive Tackle, and franchise QB...You don't have a Top 10 Selection, and you ain't gettin the best prospects at these 3 spots, and NE NEEDS a 3-4 DE...  RBs have been slipping down draft boards HUGE in the past few seasons, and WRs have been slipping just a little bit; In otherwords, NE HAS to jump on getting 1 of the top-tier DEs first off, THEN Belichick would STILL be able to target the #2 prospect @ either wideout or runningback, to give Brady a weapon...  Also, Lamaar Woodley probably being a pipe-dream, I recall reading a Pat's Scout take on Boston College's OLB Mark Herzlich a couple years back (before he had cancer in his leg last year), And BB's scout said he had NEVER graded an OLB as high and as good as Herzlich.  Herzlich ain't just 6'4 and something like 250lbs, so he's got the size to play 3-4 OLB, but He's just fantastic in space @ pass-coverage, still enough of a threat to rush & hold an edge stopping the run, But his IQ and intensity are ridiculous.  Usually, to get that 3-4 OLB size even close, you're drafting a collegiate DE and hopin he can make that switch to 3-4 OLB, but Herzlich is one of those very, VERY few who have the size to translate to the NFL (he'll need about 10lbs, but 100 X less a gamble than goin the College DE Vernon Gholston TO NFL OLB Vernon Gholston route).  In otherwords, It'd be nice to target Herzlich with NE's 1st 2nd rder, BUT NE just might HAVE to secure him with their own later 1st rder, If Herzlich's on again even remotely where he was before he was ACC's Defensive player of the year in '08.  I HONESTLY believe after reading that NE Patriot's scouting report, that THIS is WHY Belichick got another 2nd rder, Because Herzlich was rated THAT good by his own scout, BB's thinkin He can nail 1 of College's Top 3 DE's like he did in getting Richard Seymour, THEN even if he's gotta use his #2 2nd rder with his Late 1st rder (IF Herzlich has just a sick year), BB'll snag the next coming of Mike Vrabel to go with the next Seymour.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

No need to spend in 2011. Most of the big money players will be off the book. Brady, who I hope takes another discount, will be the highest paid player at, hopefully, 10 mill. Light will be off the books, and I can see the Pats drafting a RT or LT with their first second rounder. I hope they draft an OLB with one of their first rounders, but you never know with Belichick. 

No need to spend. Our young nucleus will perform adequately. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

All this Mark Ingram talk / hype of patriots drafting him will create alot of angry fans on draft day when the patriots trade out of the position or take another player off the radar.

I love the draft but weve been talking about Mark Ingram for months now and its only adding to the pile of excitement OR the pile of severe disappointment and questioning of BBs drafting once we are done with the 2011 1st round. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

All this Mark Ingram talk / hype of patriots drafting him will create alot of angry fans on draft day when the patriots trade out of the position or take another player off the radar. I love the draft but weve been talking about Mark Ingram for months now and its only adding to the pile of excitement OR the pile of severe disappointment and questioning of BBs drafting once we are done with the 2011 1st round. 
    Posted by Boston-kyle

BK is absolutely right on this! BB NEVER ever selects anyone in the draft predicted by any poster on this board. It is always someone not anticipated by the mediots or even the regulars on this board. He will turn the Oakland pick into 3-4 value picks in 2011 and 2012. Ingram will be drafted by the Bucs, Titans or some other loser franchise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I dont want Ingram.  I expect us to move back with the Oak pick.  Most likely grab an OLB or 3-4 DE with that pick.  And make sure we carry atleast 1 pick into the next years draft.  The nice thing is if we always have an extra pick, the year we finally need to draft a replacement for Brady, we will have the ammo to get the best one available.