Are the Pats still a clutch team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Are the Pats still a clutch team?

Part of the Patriot's mystique (and successes) has been the fact that they were a clutch, pressure team. They were the team that never made the costly mistake in big spots, if they had the lead they would almost never relinquish it..especially after half time, and would always make the big stop on defense when it counted. In looking at the hard facts over the past few seasons it seems as though that part of the Patriot "swagger" is gone. Sure, they are still a good team and for sure a playoff team but what seperated them from the rest of the pack was being clutch under pressure in big spots and money games. To me they don't have that at this point..and haven't for a while. Thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Re: Are the Pats still a clutch team?

This team is lacking a guy that can step up and make a big play defensively.  There are lots of guys that have the potential to be that guy, but where's the McGinest or Law coming up with a timely sack or interception?  There used to be a number of guys on this team that you knew would do something to ice the game for the Pats.  Who is that guy?  I haven't seen him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, ask yourself this:

When was the last time the Pats rallied for a late score or made a definitive defensive stop in crunch time during an important game against a good team.?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Pats still a clutch team?:
    [QUOTE]Well, ask yourself this: When was the last time the Pats rallied for a late score or made a definitive defensive stop in crunch time during an important game against a good team.?
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]
    Buffalo - Week 1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

You can make a case that the season opener is an important game.

You cannot make a case that Buffalo is a good team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I really wasn't making a case for either. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Oh . . .

so you weren't answering the question.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are the Pats a clutch team? No! Despite some fine play in Indy, they couldn't get it done. Football games are still 60 minutes long...not 48.

As I stated going into the Indy game, the Pats must prove that they can beat an elite team on the road. They'll get another chance to do it when they play the Saints in New Orleans. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

No

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Their clutch factor is just a shadow of what it once was, but it is still there to a degree.  What's left is mostly on offense.  We need Willie Mac to implant some of his DNA into the D.  Our D is fairly good already (scoring defense), but we're still waiting for those players who outplay themselves at key moments.  That said, there have been a couple of clutch moments by the D this year.  I guess we just want more, especially against the top teams.  Seeing QB's shred our D near the end of games has probably tainted my objectivity here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]Well, ask yourself this: When was the last time the Pats rallied for a late score or made a definitive defensive stop in crunch time during an important game against a good team.?

I agree.  I think BB may have agreed too based on going for it on 4th and 2.  I had little confidence that the D would have shut down Manning even if they punted.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Seems to me they did Sunday night - everybody outside of indiana knows faulk got the first down...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coltsbabe4ever. Show coltsbabe4ever's posts

of course their not a clutch team. What a stupid post this is!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]of course their not a clutch team. What a stupid post this is!
    Posted by coltsbabe4ever[/QUOTE]

Honey, put up your real picture because this one of a dead moose scares the sh-- out of me!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]     Are the Pats a clutch team? No! Despite some fine play in Indy, they couldn't get it done. Football games are still 60 minutes long...not 48.      As I stated going into the Indy game, the Pats must prove that they can beat an elite team on the road. They'll get another chance to do it when they play the Saints in New Orleans. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

They have not proven this year that they are clutch. First chance was last Sunday and they failed. They will NEED clutch to win..unless they get an easy SB like Indy did

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Babe?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Nope! 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

Baltimore!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

The thing that worries me about the PATS is that in the past the first half of games were always close, but then we would go in and make half time adjustments and end up dominating the second halves.  This year has been polar opposite.  I love Belichick and support his decision on 4th down, but where are his half time adjustments?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

The offense is clutch, but the defens is not.

The defense has lost the pats five key games in the past 4 years

three against the Colts(AFC Championship 2006, last year, and this year), OT lost to Jets last year, and the one i hate to mention, the SB loss.

BB needs to get the defense side of the house fixed to closeout games. need a new DC

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Oh, you're wearing that?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"When was the last time the Pats rallied for a late score"

Super Bowl XLII

Of course, "or made a definitive defensive stop in crunch time during an important game against a good team.?"

Asante Samuel makes that crucial pick and the game is over and the Pats have a perfect season. 

Bottom line: the offense is still clutch (don't use the Colts game as an example because that Faulk call could have gone either way), but defense is a young unit. We'll see...I think they have some good potential to round into form by late this season.